Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pals Cap and Shoulder Badges

trenchtrotter

Paul,

the black lines are troughs(shadows) between ridges in the pattern under the red enamaled cross.

So looks like a lot of careful work has been involved there. Makes me suspect the use of origional or very well made

new dies here? The Union Cross detail is less obvious on the back striking of mine.Also has a scratched in number on it.

Though hard to see in pics, the central 'God Guard Thee' mottoe letters should be red enamaled also.

Cheers !

Steve

Are we sure that this is an ORs badge. The first ones were UK made and die struck, the 2 pattern ones are all brass and theatre made (Southern Africa) cast brass ones exist then is this not just a little ornate for an ORs badge. Following on from a previous thread this is almost 100% certainly a private purchase badge and I would suggest an Officers?

Alan

Edited by max7474

Alan,

You are correct, I'm sure.

My apologies for not noting this B4.

I think only Cox mentions it as such?

Gaylor refered to it as the most commonly found example.??

:)

Cheers!

Steve

PS: Chapter 6 of Westlake's "Kitchener's Army" has a good group photo

showing Officer & W/O wearing bronzed caps & collars ,while O/R's wear the standard brass types, only.

The corporal looks to be wearing a R/Grenade/F type shoulder title?

Are we sure that this is an ORs badge. If the first pattern were home made from GG badges, 2 pattern ones are all brass and theatre made (Southern Africa) cast brass ones exist then is this not just a little ornate for an ORs badge. Following on from a previous thread this is almost 100% certainly a private purchase badge and I would suggest an Officers?

I think the 25th RF Frontiersmen badges are an area that requires some serious research as I'm of the opinion that some of the information 'out there' isn't right. However trying to prove any of it is a different matter.

I've had some lengthy discussions in the past with one of the Frontiersmen historians, the end result being that we think the 'type 3' badge is a post-war Battalion 'Association' badge and not one worn in the field. I've not seen any photos at all that show this style of badge being worn however, this is not a good argument against it's use/non use as the 'type 2' is the only one that I've seen photos of being worn.

Perhaps Steve (dragonz) can help us out with some photos to help clarify?

Here's hoping....

Steve

SteveE( & others),

Have no photos myself,but study closely( & save some) all I see in books & on Web sites, Ebay,etc.

Indeed,your doubts about type 3 may be close to the actual truth,here.???

For 'association' substitute 'Legion of Frontiersmen' & we may be onto it?

Have seen pics of it worn by them only, so far. But as the 'respected' references do not make this distinction,have continued to assume a possibility of Wartime use, so far.

This is a study 'in progress' by myself & others, at the present..... join the crew ! :D

No definite results ,as yet !

Cheers,indeed !

Steve

Chaps,

I agree that the post-war association badge is a really strong possibility. It just seems all wrong for a single regt that spent the latter part of the war in East Africa where London jewlellers were in short supply. Their abundance is not a point in their favour. Of course if anyone has a photo then this will claify it but as yet I have never seen one.

Alan

I've got a couple of pictures saved of a badge which looks to have the motto in red, also a void under the grenade. If the person who took these pictures would like them removed, just contact me. Cheers, Paul.

post-14843-1232985239.jpg post-14843-1232985337.jpg

Ok, so what do we think of this one....11th (Lonsdale) Bn Border Regt...

Peter

Peter,

IMHO if I saw it listed on ebay I'd give it a miss. The rear stamping looks very shallow and undefined and the lugs appear to have feet. Although it's not a foolproof sign of a genuine badge these days (as I've been told that there's a 'person' who can superglue one on any badge you want -obviously a badge which usually has them would be the best bet I suppose) I'd rather see one with Gaunt makers plate.

Sorry Peter, would not touch it. No Gaunt plate and it just dont look right. To crisp and sharp at the front and like the above too shallow at the rear.

My opinion only of course.

TT

That's fine chaps, exactly as I saw it too. Simple place-holder; cost me next to nothing. I was hoping that someone would post a real badge. With regards to Gaunt tablets, maker stamps, etc, I must admit that I never take those things to be genuine without other supporting evidence. Look at Paul's RF Jewish Battalion's badge - stamped Starr. Is that one genuine? Judgement call, as usual.

looking forward to a genuine badge - anyone?

Cheers

Peter

That's fine chaps, exactly as I saw it too. Simple place-holder; cost me next to nothing. I was hoping that someone would post a real badge. With regards to Gaunt tablets, maker stamps, etc, I must admit that I never take those things to be genuine without other supporting evidence. Look at Paul's RF Jewish Battalion's badge - stamped Starr. Is that one genuine? Judgement call, as usual.

looking forward to a genuine badge - anyone?

Cheers

Peter

I have this one in my reference pictures but only the front. It did mention a Gaunt plate though, I noted that.

post-5041-1233004888.jpg

I have what is definately a fake KLR 1896 pattern which has an identical Starr stamp on the slider, down to the missing initial, position on the slider etc etc. Therefore I would be very suspicious of Paul's J RF Bn badge (as I told him !).

J

'Figures, Julian...

Mind you, that's a nice Lonsdale Bn badge (I think I know where that came from). Another aspiration...

Cheers

Peter

My Lonsdale badge!

Another Messers Bosley purchase I'm afraid but having said that I am sure it is original. Looking at the finish I think it to be unissued. Has the Gaunt tablet centre scroll though I have seen them in the wing as well. Thogh the photo of the rear is rather dark the detail is clear. Matching loops, never seen a slidered Lonsdale.

Regards

TT

post-15846-1233056409.jpg

post-15846-1233056427.jpg

Nice, especially useful with the rear view. As my badge seems to lave lugs with feet, just checking - does yours?

Cheers

Peter

Hard to say as the solder obscures...more pod like than feet like though. If you get my drift.

TT

Only two? :lol:

Chaps, can I say what a superb thread this is. Apart from the fact I've realised why I gave up badge collecting 20 years ago, it is really good to see discussion and disagreement rather than argument and point-scoring. No name-calling, no-one taking their ball home.

This thread is a real credit to its contributors.

Only two? :lol:

So far....still got a few more pics to post, but a bit afraid it will add to my list! :o

Peter

Chaps, can I say what a superb thread this is. Apart from the fact I've realised why I gave up badge collecting 20 years ago, it is really good to see discussion and disagreement rather than argument and point-scoring. No name-calling, no-one taking their ball home.

This thread is a real credit to its contributors.

Thanks Stephen, I'm happy with it, and i guess my pals are too. Thanks for setting the thing off TT, just what I'd hoped!

(cue warm inner glow)

Peter