Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pals Cap and Shoulder Badges

trenchtrotter

Gents I can contribute again as I had no knowledge re the Frontiersmen badges or the Jewish battalion one.

Again the Cardiff collars are easy to detect fakes. For all the reasons stated plus.......the rear of a genuine badge has a look to it as if it was a cast "jelly mould" I have alluded to this on other threads but it is a good sign to have such a back rather than the sharper and crisper backs that fakes have.

I will get my camera out at the weekend and get some badges and shoulders photoed so I can post. My Cardiff has never been polished and still has its lovely blacked finish.

Well gents we have had a 102 posts plus loads of views. Well done all. We will get this into classics in due course.

Plus plenty to discuss re other badges.

Regards

TT

So boys, hopefully we are agreeing that my real one is a real one, as it obeys the rules?! Best to check....

Peter

Peter,

IMHO yes the lower example is good. It has been heavily polished and the darker finish has been rubbed off but otherwise good.

The lugs are in the same place as my example also and on the copy they are marginally higher. An inconsequential observation!

Regards

TT

Re Cardiff badges,

Can i quote from the Military Historical Society Bulletin, Feb 1978....

" Collectors finding these Collar Badges in anything other than brass should be wary. Occaisionally a similar voided item in brass, blackened brass or bronze is also offered. To show these in a collection does great honour to the employees of the Cardiff Corporation. "

Hopefully the keyword is `voided`.

Bill.

Re Cardiff badges,

Can i quote from the Military Historical Society Bulletin, Feb 1978....

" Collectors finding these Collar Badges in anything other than brass should be wary. Occaisionally a similar voided item in brass, blackened brass or bronze is also offered. To show these in a collection does great honour to the employees of the Cardiff Corporation. "

Hopefully the keyword is `voided`.

Bill.

Thanks - I would hope so too! to my mind, it's pretty much identical to the brass version.

Cheers

Peter

One to compare with Pete's that I think to be a repro. Note the size of the Starr mark. It also misses the 'F' initial.

post-14843-1232754822.jpg

This mark has been confirmed to have been used on another type of badge which has been confirmed to be fake. Thanks JB.

Nice to have your pictures back...Looks a bit repro-ish to me, but would need to compare.

I must admit that I have previously thought that most badges with stamped sliders are dodgy - I've seen boxes of them for sale, with stamps varying from laughable 'W arrow D' examples to Gaunt, Firmin etc. I was taken aback by the Starr stamp on the Wandsworths badge some posts back. Maybe I need to look again!

Cheers

Peter

My Cardiff badge front and rear. And a teaser, which is a repro of the Sheffield badge??

post-15846-1232808087.jpg

post-15846-1232808103.jpg

post-15846-1232808202.jpg

OK, here's a new one: Shoulder title for the Salford Pals (15-20th LF).

Comments....

Peter

Nice badge, been looking to buy an original for years now! Still looking.............

Peter,

Happy with your Salford badge. Dug mine out and it is identical to yours down to the non symetery of the grenade flames and also mine appears to have the same blemish behind the flame at the two o clock position as you lokk at the rear. I can only conclude the same die / batch. Will post some piccies. I have it in my hand as I type. It is a heavy piece of metal!!

TT

Glad to see your Cardiff badge looks a bit like mine, and to hear about the Salford title. I'm happy with it too! I have a Sheffield pals badge so will have to compare with yours!

Lots to think on here!

Peter

Your reasoning please Peter?

TT

Uh oh!! The top one is a cast copy and the lower is the original. Post a piccie of yours Peter and we can make a call.

Regards

TT

Nice badge, been looking to buy an original for years now! Still looking.............

Thanks, good luck!

Peter

Uh oh!! The top one is a cast copy and the lower is the original. Post a piccie of yours Peter and we can make a call.

Regards

TT

OK, here goes....

Peter

post-29053-1232878874.jpg

post-29053-1232878886.jpg

Any thoughts, tips regards the badges i've posted as 107, 109 and 110? Can we pin down what to look for as bad points, and what should be looked for to be good? Cheers, Paul.

Paul,

I cannot comment either way as I have no examples and as my main interest is the Western Front I am unlikely to purchase any as my money will go on the outstanding badges I need to units who served in France etc.

Sorry I cannot help but am interested in the posts anyhow.

Peter,

Your Sheffield title is more like the original one and not the cast copy type. Looks reasonable to me.

Regards

TT

Any toughts, tips regards the badges i've posted as 107, 109 and 110? Can we pin down what to look for as bad points, and what should be looked for to be good? Cheers, Paul.

Its a good idea Paul, hopefully Steve and dragonz will help us, 'coz i'm equally clueless on this.

Cheers

Peter

Your Sheffield title is more like the original one and not the cast copy type. Looks reasonable to me.

That's a relief! I thought so too!

Peter

Guys,

obviously missed a couple of posts there :o

Paul, the 'restrike' RFF is very well done.You do'nt see many of these,real or otherwise.May even be from origional dies ?

To do this with a 'hard to tell'centrifugal casting(or a lost-wax process)from an origional, you would have to remove(or cut out later) the enamaled areas ,then replace.Time consuming & tricky work.

The argument about 'real enamal' as opposed to 'paste'(softer material,pinprick to test?)could be used,but I think these were continued to be made post war(?) for some LOF(?)

Who was the seller ? Was it fairly cheap?

Without actually seeing/holding the badge,its a little tricky,but some observations....

Colour looks a little light,but may just be the pic here ?

Origionals are quite thick,like Officer's die-cast bronze.Though these are properly die-struck,with the less detailed back,as your's also shows.Origionally may have been a private purchase order?

It's the lugs that give it away,with the large rounded foot (particularly the LH one)very similar to Peter's dud Cardiff badge(post#97).And minimal fixitive underneath(modern solders)leaving it mostly exposed above.

Early badges ( around WW1)tend to have a smallish foot, at most( and usually covered around by solder), or longer squared-off feet are found on some also( sub contractors workmanship ??).

:)

Cheers !

Steve

Not cheep. I wasn't the only one who thought it looked the part. Around £30 I think, and I seem to have failed to keep a copy of the ebay page. The engraved look of the union flag and the title to the reverse interest me. Also there are thin black lines in the St George's cross. Cheers Paul. PS Yes, I'm not good with my editing, it is too light!