Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pals Cap and Shoulder Badges

trenchtrotter

Peter,

Yes totally happy. I am not sure about brass ones. Again as with most of my rarer badges this came from Bosley. The strike is good, a typical Great war era slider.

Great, it looks like mine...I'll photograph it and see what you think.

Cheers

Peter

I always think that the Pals would have had a better badge as this type is very crude in comparison to a standard Manchester badge. Quick economical manufacture I suppose.

Are we not just talking about an 'economy' strike here (rather than a pals badge per se?)

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

This badge is generally attributed to the Manchester City Battalions and not an economy strike.

Regards

TT

TT,

you are correct. Contemporary pics show this solid ,all brass version being worn by the City Battalions in 1915, fully a year b4 the concept of 'economy badges' was instigated. Probably of local manufacture, and most that I've seen are indeed a little crude by comparison to the general quality of most other cap badges.

There is some doubt that this badge was ever made as an 'economy' type ,possibly to save confusion with this already existing badge ? An 'economy' would also likely have had a slider instead of the widely spaced(oddly very near the outer edges) lugs, as is usual with these ?

Cheers !

Steve

PS: would also be interested to see your example, if I may ?

Steve,

Will post it for you. Typical, a couple of weeks ago I photoed quite a few of my badges and resized the images to post on this thread. Guess which one I did not photo. Will do it this weekend and post.

Regards

TT

This badge is generally attributed to the Manchester City Battalions and not an economy strike.

Fair does, didn't know that.

How many subtle other variants like that are there, I wonder...

Peter

Peter,

That was the reason we decided to start this thread...to discuss, learn and share.

I think this thread is really good and I am grateful to all who have contributed so far.

I too have learnt particularly with regard to the RF badges.

This is almost becoming a classic? However I would prefer for it to stay here as it is more relevant!

Regards and keep posting all

TT

Thanks - I'd like to know if there are any views on the 'Church Lads Brigade Cadets' KRRC badge illustrated by Cox as a Service Battalion KRRC badge - was this worn by them (I think its the 16th Bn, but not sure)

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

Read the text again carefully and you will note that the badge was not worn by the 16th Bn but was adopted by the CLB later on in tribute to the 16th Bn who had many CLB members in it. It is indeed a CLB badge but not a 16th Bn/Pals badge.

Alan

Read the text again carefully and you will note that the badge was not worn by the 16th Bn but was adopted by the CLB later on in tribute to the 16th Bn who had many CLB members in it. It is indeed a CLB badge but not a 16th Bn/Pals badge.

OK, so here's the text verbatim (p.194):

'There were no Territorial battalions, but the 16th Service Battalion was raised from members and ex-members of the Church Lads Brigade Cadets whose badge at 1578 was in bronze'

This could be read 'carefully' in at least two different ways, viz:

1. It was worn by CLB Cadets, who then joined the KRRC to form the 16th Bn

2. It was worn by the 16th Bn KRRC, ex-members of the CLB Cadets.

Which of these it is, I'm not in a position to say, which is why I posted the question. Further eluscidation required.

Peter

Peter,

Sorry for the delay in responding to this issue.......

How happy are you with your 1/Sportsmans/RF shoulder title. Looks crudely cast to me and the detail is not sharp. Can you post image of the rear and also whats its provinance. Will post image of mine to compare and contrast.

Regards

TT

Thanks Alan - the thread was useful, particularly the link, which makes this specific comment:

'In [1917, in] recognition of the sacrifice made by the brave men of the 16th

Battalion KRRC, the CLB affiliate en - masse to the King’s Royal Rifle

Corps as the KRRC Cadets. An appeal is immediately launched to

equip all members of the CLB with khaki uniform.'

Which makes sense to me, and clarify the ambiguity of Cox's comments.

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

Sorry for the delay in responding to this issue.......

How happy are you with your 1/Sportsmans/RF shoulder title. Looks crudely cast to me and the detail is not sharp. Can you post image of the rear and also whats its provinance. Will post image of mine to compare and contrast.

Regards

TT

It's fine as far as I'm concerned, looks no cruder than that illustrated by Westlake - but I could be wrong, I suppose.

I might give up posting at this rate....! ;)

Peter

Peter,

I may be wrong and it could be fine....dont give up mate!!!

TT

Will post mine asap.

Here they are...Manchester and the Spotsmans. Actually Peter mine is not too dissimilar to yours!

Regards

TT

post-15846-1235837867.jpg

post-15846-1235837884.jpg

Sportsmans Shoulder

post-15846-1235838043.jpg

post-15846-1235838061.jpg

Phew, thanks TT, had a wobble there. My Sportsman's looks identical. Now, where to find that Manchester's badge....Peter

Glad your minds at rest Peter,

Re Manchester badges, I think the going price is about the £50 mark. Not that scarce!

Happy hunting.

TT

Sound's great. On the hunt now. Hoping to get some more photos sorted out for new listings soon.

Cheers

Peter

• 3 months later...
Thanks Alan - the thread was useful, particularly the link, which makes this specific comment:

'In [1917, in] recognition of the sacrifice made by the brave men of the 16th

Battalion KRRC, the CLB affiliate en - masse to the King's Royal Rifle

Corps as the KRRC Cadets. An appeal is immediately launched to

equip all members of the CLB with khaki uniform.'

Which makes sense to me, and clarify the ambiguity of Cox's comments.

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

Be aware too though, that the KRRC already had Cadet units affiliated that were nothing to do with the Church Lads Brigade. I think Cox's unfortunate choice of words - "as the KRRC Cadets" (my underlining) - is misleading as it suggests the CLB Cadets were the only KRRC cadet force, which is completely wrong.

Several public school OTC cadet units were KRRC-affiliated and the KRRC 1st Cadet Battalion had been in existence since 1894 and from active service in South Africa had won the right to have that battle honour on its cap badge. It is still in existence.

Cheers,

Mark

• 5 months later...

Just bumping this thread. I have a few new images to post of recent aquisitions. I am sure ithers have too. Nice thread for reference similar to the recent one Grumpy started on uniforms and badges.

Regards

TT

Mods can this be moved to badges section please?

Thanks

TT

Just bumping this thread. I have a few new images to post of recent aquisitions. I am sure ithers have too. Nice thread for reference similar to the recent one Grumpy started on uniforms and badges.

Regards

TT

Ah, I'm glad to see this back...I've got a few new ones too, since we last posted....will have to look 'em out!

Cheers

Peter