Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Liverpool Annie wrote:

I'd really appreciate your help with this young soldier !

Frederick Melchior Raphael

Capt. Frederick Melchoir Raphael, S Lanc Regt.

Born at London in April 1870, the second son of George Charles Raphael, Esq. of 37 Portland Place, London, W and Castle Hill, Englefield Green, Surrey

Educated at Wellington College from Summer 1883 to 1885

Joined the 5th Bn, Rifle Brigade in 1889

Transferred to the 1st Bn, South Lancs Regiment in Oct 91

Promoted to Lieutenant in Feb 94

Promoted to Captain in 1898

Accompanied his Battalion to South Africa in November 1899 and served with the Natal Field Force

Killed in action at Spion Kop on 24 Jan 00

I have not been able to find a photo of him. Regards. Dick Flory

Sources: The Last Post: A Roll of Officers Who Gave Their Lives for Their Queen, King and Country in the South African War, 1899-1902; Wellington College Register, 1859-1948.

Liverpool Annie wrote:

Capt. Frederick Melchoir Raphael, S Lanc Regt.

Born at London in April 1870, the second son of George Charles  Raphael, Esq. of 37 Portland Place, London, W and Castle Hill, Englefield Green, Surrey

Educated at Wellington College from Summer 1883 to 1885

Joined the 5th Bn, Rifle Brigade in 1889

Transferred to the 1st Bn, South Lancs Regiment in Oct 91

Promoted to Lieutenant in Feb 94

Promoted to Captain in 1898

Accompanied his Battalion to South Africa in November 1899 and served with the Natal Field Force

Killed in action at Spion Kop on 24 Jan 00

I have not been able to find a photo of him.  Regards.  Dick Flory

Sources: The Last Post: A Roll of Officers Who Gave Their Lives for Their Queen, King and Country in the South African War, 1899-1902; Wellington College Register, 1859-1948.

Dick!!

Thank you so very much! I appreciate your time!

Annie

Stu wrote:

I would be very grateful if you could please look up for me Lt Arthur Charles Sotheron Escourt M.C..

Capt. Arthur Charles Sotheron Estcourt, MC

Born on 26 Sep 93, the son of Rev E W S Estcourt of Swindon

Educated at Gresham's School from 1907 to 1912 and at Magdalene College, U of Cambridge from 1912-1913

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., New Armies on 17 Nov 14

Temp 2nd Lt., Wiltshire Regiment

Temp 2nd Lt, Gloucestershire Regiment (Received the MC (Lond. Gaz. 26 Sept. 1916) "For conspicuous gallantry in action. He fought his battery with great effect under very heavy fire during the attack,dispersing many enemy bombing parties. He also knocked out a machine-gun whichwas holding up the advance of one of our bombing parties."

Acting Captain, Trench Mortar Battery, 16 Feb 17

Lieut. (Observer) RAF

MC

Twice Wounded.

Killed in Action on 8 Aug 18

His brother, Walter Bucknall Estcourt served as a Lieut in the East African Corps.

Sources: The War List of the University of Cambridge, 1914-1918; History and Register of Gresham's School, 1555-1955 .

I am not able to find a photo of him. Regards. Dick

Hello Dick

Might I trouble you once more with a further request? I note from an earlier posting (British Roll of Honour) that you have a number of volumes of the British Roll of Honour. I'd be interested in the entry for Major Hubert Francis CRICHTON, 1st Irish Guards who was killed in action on 1 September 1914, especially if there is a photograph! I understand that he is in the "Lt. C.K. Anderson" volume.

Thanking you in advance......

Best wishes

Ed

Hi Dick

Please could I trouble you to look up one of my 19th London officers who is proving elusive? His service record contains very little other than probate info as it has been heavily weeded. This is all I have:

Capt RILEY, Arthur Cecil

Commissioned London Regt (19th) 09/03/1910

went to France 10/03/1915

killed at Loos 25/09/1915, buried at Dud Corner Cem, Loos

Educated at Eton College (served in OTC) and Cambridge University (Trinity College)

thanks for your help

regards

Charles

Ed Matthews wrote:

I'd be interested in the entry for Major Hubert Francis CRICHTON, 1st Irish Guards who was killed in action on 1 September 1914, especially if there is a photograph!

Major Hubert Francis Crichton, Irish Guards

Born at London on 17 Dec 74, the only son of Colonel the Hon. Charles Frederick Crichton, late Grenadier Guards (the second son of the third Earl of Erne and Madeline Taylour, eldest daughter of the third Marquess of Headfort).

Educated at Eton and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., Grenadier Guards in 1896

Served with his regiment in the Nile Expedition of 1898. Present at the Battle of Khartoum (British Medal and Egyptian medal with clasp).

Transferred to the Irish Guards in 1902

Went to South Africa wit the 29th Bn, Imperial Yeomanry and received the QSA Medal with two clasps

From 1903 to Feb 1905 was Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, 1st Army Corps at Aldershot.

KIA at Compiegne on 1 Sep 1914 (Mentioned in Sir John French's despatches of 8 Oct 14).

Married in Jul 1903, Esther, daughter of Capt. Llewellyn and Lady Rachel Saunderson, with whom he had two daugthers: Doris Madeline, born 30 May 04 and Enid Irene Adelaide, born 27 Feb 07.

Sources:British Roll of Honour;The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume I; Etonians Who Fought in the Great War.

Attached below is a photo of him from the first source and on the next page is a photo of him from the second source. Regards. Dick

post-765-1128401320.jpg

A second photo of Major Crichton from the second-named source:

post-765-1128401371.jpg

Charles Fair wrote:

Please could I trouble you to look up one of my 19th London officers who is proving elusive? His service record contains very little other than probate info as it has been heavily weeded. This is all I have:

Capt RILEY, Arthur Cecil

Captain Arthur Cecil Riley

2nd son of J. Riley of 20 Harrington Gardens, S Kensington, SW

Educated at Eton from 1895 to 1901 and at Trinity College, Cambridge where he received his BA in 1901.

Capt, 19th (St. Pancras) Bn, London Regiment

Kiled in action at Loos on 25 Sep 15.

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909; Etonians Who Served in the Great War, 1914-1919; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919.

Not much more than you had I am afraid. Regards. Dick

Many, many thanks again Dick - it's very much appreciated! Super pictures too.....

Best wishes

Ed

Dick, very many thanks for looking - his dates at Eton are new to me. Every little helps.

regards

Charles

Hi Dick

Could you be kind enough to see if you have any information on the following Officer;

Second Lieutenant Anthony Graham Titley

4th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment - Died 13th April 1917 aged 28.

His records gives Schools & Colleges as: Repton School, which he left July 1907 and 'Oatlands Harrogate'

Many thanks in advance for any information

regards

John

John wrote:

Could you be kind enough to see if you have any information on the following Officer; Second Lieutenant Anthony Graham Titley

Lieut. Anthony Graham Titley, W Yorks

Born on 28 Jun 1889, the son of F. A. Titley

Educated at Repton School from 1904-1907

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut. W Yorkshire Regt., S.R. in Feb 1915

Went to France in 1916

Promted to Lieutenant in Jan 1917

KIA on 15 Apr 1917

Sources: Old Reptonian War Register 1914-1919; Repton School Register 1922.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dear Dick

Thank you for the information and for your time.

Kind regards

John

Hi Dick -could I please ask you for a "look up"

Thanking you in advance

Annie

Charles Grant Francis Grey Birch Capt South Lancashire Regiment only son of Colonel Birch of Lympston Grange, S. Devon. Born Nov. 18th 1866. He was killed at the Battle of Spion Kop January 24th 1900

He was a scholar at the Boarding House to Rugby School, Rugby, Warwickshire

liverpool Annie wrote:

Charles Grant Francis Grey Birch Capt South Lancashire Regiment only son of Colonel Birch of Lympston Grange, S. Devon.

Unfortunately my Rugby School registers only go back to 1892 and he evidentally left the school before then, but here is the information about him from The "Last Post:"

Capt Charles Francis Grey Birch

Born in Nov 1866, the son of Colonel Birch of Lympstone Grange, South Devon, late OC, 4th Bn, N Lanc Regiment.

Educated at Rugby School

Commissioned in the 4th Bn, N Lanc Regt

Transferred to the S Lanc Regt in Dec 1888

Promoted to Lieut. in May 1890

Promoted to Capt in Apr 1898

Killed in action at Spion Kop on 24 Jan 1900 while trying to rescue a wounded soldier

A memorial cross was erected over his grave near Spion Kop

Regards. Dick Flory

liverpool Annie wrote: 

Unfortunately my Rugby School registers only go back to 1892 and he evidentally left the school before then, but here is the information about him from The "Last Post:"

Capt Charles Francis Grey Birch

Born in Nov 1866, the son of Colonel Birch of Lympstone Grange, South Devon, late OC, 4th Bn, N Lanc Regiment.

Educated at Rugby School

Commissioned in the 4th Bn, N Lanc Regt

Transferred to the S Lanc Regt in Dec 1888

Promoted to Lieut. in May 1890

Promoted to Capt in Apr 1898

Killed in action at Spion Kop on 24 Jan 1900 while trying to rescue a wounded soldier

A memorial cross was erected over his grave near Spion Kop

Regards.  Dick Flory

Hi Dick!

Thank you very much for that that's great!

Annie

Hi Dick!

Thank you very much for that that's great!

Annie

Hi Dick

I know you asked for the school but I can't find anything on this young officer - is there any way

you could look him up for me please??

This is all I have - and as the South Lancs regiment comes from Warrington and Preston I've looked there and too ! - but I can't find the 1871 1881 1891 census or birth or anything I'd appreciate anything else you might find!!

Thanking you in advance

Annie

LYNCH - Captain Nicholas Marcus - 1/South Lancashire Regt.

Died of enteric at Mooi River. 13th Nov. 1900. Aged 32. Born April 1868.

Liverpool Annie wrote:

LYNCH - Captain Nicholas Marcus - 1/South Lancashire Regt.

Died of enteric at Mooi River. 13th Nov. 1900. Aged 32. Born April 1868.

Capt. Nicholas Marcus Lynch, S Lancs Regt.

Born in April 1868

Commissioned into the S Lancs Regt in Sept 1887

Promoted to Lieut in Apr 1889

Served with Gold Coast Constabulary from May 1892 to Dec 1893

Promoted to Captain in Aug 1894

Served with West African Frontier Police Force from March 1898 to Nov 1899

Proceeded to South Africa in Nov 1899 and served with the 1st Battalion, taking part in the fighting on the Tugela and in the relief of Ladysmith

Died of enteric at Mooi River on 13 Nov 1900.

Regards. Dick

Liverpool Annie wrote:

Capt. Nicholas Marcus Lynch, S Lancs Regt.

Born in April 1868

Commissioned into the S Lancs Regt in Sept 1887

Promoted to Lieut in Apr 1889

Served with Gold Coast Constabulary from May 1892 to Dec 1893

Promoted to Captain in Aug 1894

Served with West African Frontier Police Force from March 1898 to Nov 1899

Proceeded to South Africa in Nov 1899 and served with the 1st Battalion, taking part in the fighting on the Tugela and in the relief of Ladysmith

Died of enteric at Mooi River on 13 Nov 1900.

Regards.  Dick

Dick!

YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!!!!!

Thank you so very much!! - no wonder I couldn't find him!!

I appreciate your help

Annie

Dick

Is there a picture at all for Percy Alexander Margetts, who attended Batley Grammar School and Leeds University. I have a lot of biographical info, but only one very blurred image.

Also, on another thread, is there a link on your database for Captain Noel Bean RGA, seriously wounded in early 1918 (he was in hospital at the beginning of April). Sorry, I don't have a unit name.

I can give you details of an RFA officer who died in 1918 without seeing service abroad if this fits in with your research.

Many thanks

Dave

Hello Dick

Might I trouble you for a further look up? I'd be interested to know whether there are photographs for Lieutenant Geoffrey LAMBTON, Coldstream Guards and Major Charles Arthur TISDALL, Irish Guards in either the British Roll of Honour or The Bond of Sacrifice. Both men were killed on 1st September 1914. I have quite a lot of biographical detail but I'm keen to obtain photographs!

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Ed

Ed Matthews wrote:

Might I trouble you for a further look up? I'd be interested to know whether there are photographs for Lieutenant Geoffrey LAMBTON, Coldstream Guards and Major Charles Arthur TISDALL, Irish Guards

Photo of Lambton:

post-765-1129001467.jpg