Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Dave

There's no mention of a CSM Thomas Markey amongst the South Lancashire men. Are you sure he was serving with them at the time of his DCM award?

Nick

Try machine gun Corps, Nick.

Medal card of Markey, Thomas

Corps Regiment No Rank

South Lancashire Regiment 12393 Corporal

Machine Gun Corps 142266 Company Serjeant Major

Though his may be an M.C. not a DCM?

EDIT: No entry in Walkers DCM Register book....

EDIT to the EDIT: Yes, it's an MC not a DCM:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...act=T.%20Markey

A King's Birthday honour as well, so probably no published citation for him :(

Steve.

Hi Nick,

I dont know whether you can look up Australian awards but here goes

Sgt Angus Edward Anderson No 136 3rd Pioneer Btn A.I.F.

I believe the award was announced in June 1919.

Thanks in advance

David

David

ANDERSON, A.E., Sgt., 136, 3rd Bn. Australian Pioneers "For marked gallantry & fine leadership during the period 16th September 1918 to 11th November 1918. During the attack on the Hindenburg Line & on previous occasions at Villers Bretonneux & Hamel, he had charge of his platoon, & has always performed his duties in a most praiseworthy manner" (L.G. 11.3.20)

Nick

Many thanks.

Dave

David

ANDERSON, A.E., Sgt., 136, 3rd Bn. Australian Pioneers "For marked gallantry & fine leadership during the period 16th September 1918 to 11th November 1918. During the attack on the Hindenburg Line & on previous occasions at Villers Bretonneux & Hamel, he had charge of his platoon, & has always performed his duties in a most praiseworthy manner" (L.G. 11.3.20)

Nick

Nick,

Thanks a lot for that - a bit nore knowledge for my files

David/Canberra

• 2 weeks later...

Nick

I have an Australian, Pte. James Cunningham, 2365, 9th Battalion, AIF, who is down on a Liverpool Roll of Honour as "DCM". CWGC have him as "MM&Bar", but his Australian records, as dug out for me by other Forum members, show only one MM.

Can you please check your records for any hint of a DCM, so that I can be sure of my facts? I am checking with CWGC about their second MM.

Many thanks

Daggers

Daggers

No record of a DCM for James Cunningham under the Australian Infantry recipients. Looks like an error in Liverpool.

Nick

Nick

Back with another possible DCM, shown on Canadian records:

EVANS, J., CPL, 448088, CANADIAN MACHINE GUN CORPS.

Have you any details on this one, please?

Daggers

Nick,

Wondered if you could help me out.

I am looking for anything on EDWIN RHODES listed on his medal card as Private, (although family history suggests he may have been higher at some point) I have his medals here and one is the DCM with his details engraved on the rim '23415 Cpl. E Rhodes 2/ N & D R'

I was wondering if there was anything you could tell me about what the awarded medal was for? He was also awarded the Belgium Croix de Gerre as well.

Thanks very much.

Simon.

Daggers

EVANS, J., L/Cpl. 448088, Canadian Machine Gun Corps "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. He displayed great gallantry in bringing his gun into action at close range under heavy fire"

(L.G. 9.7.17)

Simon

23145 Cpl. E. RHODES, Notts. & Derby. Regt. (Skegby) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. Seeing a gap on the flank of a wave in front he led his bombing section into the trench & cleared it. On reaching the company objective he, with another man, engaged a machine gun eighty yards in front, shooting the machine gunner & taking five prisoners. With his section he was responsible for taking about fifty prisoners" (L.G. 4.3.1918)

Nick

Simon

23145 Cpl. E. RHODES, Notts. & Derby. Regt. (Skegby) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. Seeing a gap on the flank of a wave in front he led his bombing section into the trench & cleared it. On reaching the company objective he, with another man, engaged a machine gun eighty yards in front, shooting the machine gunner & taking five prisoners. With his section he was responsible for taking about fifty prisoners" (L.G. 4.3.1918)

What a find, thanks very much indeed.

Simon.

Nick,

Came across this chap on the Swanscombe War Memorial in Kent although it makes no mention of his award.

11612 Fitt/S/ Sgt BARE, William Mosebury.

Royal Garrison Artillery

Thanks,

Stuart.

Stuart

16112 Ftr. S. Sgt. W.M. Bare, R.G.A. (Swanscombe) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty.

During over three years' service in the field, this N.C.O. has set a fine example of courage & devotion to duty. He has frequently volunteered for & performed duties of a dangerous description in a gallant & fearless manner" (L.G. 21/10/1918)

(His service number differs from the one you gave)

Nick

Many Thanks Nick

My fault concerning the Service Number. It was getting a bit late in the night for me.

Regards Stuart

Nick

Wondered if you could look up the following man, have newspaper report that he was rcommended for DCM -

Private Alexander McLean

Date of death – 17th October 1916

Service – 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Service no. – 3601

Thanks

Stuart

Nick

Could you please check for a DCM citation to a Gordon Highlander

Details appeared in the LG of 23rd June 1915 of the award to 1588, Sgt Alexr Archibald of 6th Gordons.

Thanks

Jas

1588 Sgt. A. ARCHIBALD 6th Bn. Gordon Highlanders (Banff & Donside). "For conspicuous gallantry at Neuve Chapelle on March 13th, 1915, when he carried despatches and collected wounded under heavy fire" (L.G. 30.6.15)

Nick

Nick

John William WATSON Private 27844 Grenadier Guards was awarded the DCM, details in the London Gazette 14.2.1919.

Pte (L/Cpl) J. W. Watson 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards (Byers Green, Co Durham)

I am unable to trace his citation, could you possibly check your records.

Thanks

John

John

27844 Pte. (L.C.) J.W. Watson, 3rd Bn., Gren. Gds. (Byers Green, Co. Durham) (L.G. 10 Jan. 1920)

"For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty on 27th Sept., 1918, east of Dernincourt. In the attack he, with an officer & one other man, rushed two machine guns, killing the teams. He then went out & put a third machine gun out of action. Later, with one man, he went across the open some 600 yards, & captured another machine gun with one officer & seven men"

Nick

Nick

Thanks for the reply on 27844 Watson, from reading the above citation I would say it was a well earned DCM.

John