Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Richard Llystyn Jones has had a DCM. In paper 8/6/1915.

In Aug 1916 there's a report re his being wounded. He is with B Coy 1st 5th South Lancs.

Hywyn

He's not in amongst the South Lancs DCMs - sorry.

Nick

Nick

I've driven myself to distraction with this one. They are insistent in the newspaper over a period of time that he was a DCM recipient and with the 1st 5th South Lancs.

I've spent ages cross checking MIR with LG etc to no avail.

The only one I can spot that is anywhere near a possible in WO 372/23 a R L Jones 235064 in Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.(that number allocated to the 4th and not the 5th though)

Next time you are in the books could you possibly see if his award was pre 8/6/1915, which is the date of the first report.

TIA

Hywyn

Hywyn

The only 'Jones' with the King's Own Royal Lancasters is 4231 CSM G.H. Jones, 6th Bn., DCM at Chanuk Bair, Gallipoli, between 8th & 10th August, 1915.

Nick

OK Thanks Nick.

My only hope now is that his papers will have survived and turn up on Ancestry. If you haven't got that and need a look up let me know by PM.

Thanks again

Hello Nick

I've just found this MIC and assume it denotes the award of a DCM (not seen one like this before). Can you find anything that matches up, please? Thanks!

post-16674-1214773053.jpg

Greyhound

The citation is a bit vague on this one. London Gazette date differs as well:

S/17042 Staff Quartermaster-Sergeant J. Sanderson, Army Service Corps (LG 11 Mar. 1916) "For consistent good work as Chief Clerk to the Assistant Director of Supplies throughout the campaign"

Nick

Thanks very much, Nick - that has come as a very nice surprise. I have a photo of my grandfather wearing the LSGC, but had no idea he had a DCM as well. :D

If you are having trouble finding an elusive DCM citation, I may be able to help. Please give full name & regiment of individual, otherwise I have no chance of finding him.

Nick

Hi Nick

Wonder if you can help, my wifes Grandad was awarded the DCM in 1914 while serving with the 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding Regiment)

Pte T Ford 7409 DoD 23/10/1914 he is mentioned on the Le Touret Memorial panel 19

Would very much appreciate any information.

Regards Bob

Bob

Here you go:

7409 Pte. T. Ford, 2nd W. Rid. R. (LG 6 Nov 1914) "Volunteered to charge two motor cars occupied by German Staff Officers, & stayed behind to collect ammunition at Le Cateau when the trenches were abandoned, & was the first man to advance to re-occupy them"

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

hi nick

was wondering if you could add anything further to the DCM citation for my great grandad other than the gazette page. we were always under the impression that he never ventured on to the front lines and was posted at the curragh camp in ireland. His citation seems to say otherwise.

Sgt Alec BRADLEY 9657 RAMC

thanks

Harrison

This is the citation I have, which I suspect matches the LG:

9657 Sgt. A. Bradley, RAMC (Curragh Camp), LG 3 Oct. 1918. "For conspicuous good work & devotion to duty. This N.C.O. led his stretcher parties & safely brought in all wounded under very heavy fire in action"

Undoubtedly he was in a foreign Theatre of War, but it doesn't say which. Have you looked for his Medal Index Card? That might give you a bit more info if you are lucky.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Any chance of looking up this one CSM W J Coggins Ox and Bucks Light infantry

Regards Nick

Nick

200100 CSM W.J. COGGINS (Banbury) L.G. 3.10.18 "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty when with a fighting patrol. When his officer became a casualty he took charge & led the platoon. He set a splendid example of pluck & initiative in the attack, & afterwards organised a rearguard which prevented the enemy, now reinforced, from interfering with the carrying in of the wounded officer"

Nick

Nick

200100 CSM W.J. COGGINS (Banbury) L.G. 3.10.18 "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty when with a fighting patrol. When his officer became a casualty he took charge & led the platoon. He set a splendid example of pluck & initiative in the attack, & afterwards organised a rearguard which prevented the enemy, now reinforced, from interfering with the carrying in of the wounded officer"

Nick

Thanks Mate much appreciated.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I would appreciate any info on Sergeant Arthur Busby, 8362, 2nd Battn. South Staffs .DCM gazetted June 1915.

Thanks in anticipation,

Alan

Alan

8362 Sgt. A. Busby, 2nd Bn., S. Staffs. (L.G. 30.6.15) "For conspicuous gallantry & ability throughout the campaign, particularly on 20th February 1915, at Givenchy, in an attack on the German trench. As commander of a platoon, he has always shown great capacity as a leader, & been noted for his courage, enterprise, & devotion to duty under fire"

Nick

Guest Baffles1

Hi Nick

Looking for a DCM citation for

8646 L/C A. T. Frampton, 6th Bn., Somerset Light Inf.

Appears in the supplement to the LG, 3 June 1919 but no citation. (King's Birthday List.)

Any chance you could help me out on this one!

Thanking you in anticipation.

Julie :mellow:

Julie

8646 L/Cpl. A.T. FRAMPTON, 6th Bn. SLI (Beaminster) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. For four years as NCO on transport he never failed to deliver munitions or rations to the battalion however heavy the hostile shelling and machine-gun fire. At Passchendaele, November 1917, he volunteered to take pack mules nightly to the line" (L.G. 11.3.20)

Nick

Guest Baffles1
Julie

8646 L/Cpl. A.T. FRAMPTON, 6th Bn. SLI (Beaminster) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. For four years as NCO on transport he never failed to deliver munitions or rations to the battalion however heavy the hostile shelling and machine-gun fire. At Passchendaele, November 1917, he volunteered to take pack mules nightly to the line" (L.G. 11.3.20)

Nick

Thank you Nick

What a Star you are. Thank You so much :D

Nick,

could you please look for CSM Thomas Markey MC, 7th Batt. South Lancs Reg. (Regular No.2393).

The notification of his DCM is in the supplement to the 4th June 1917 LG but no citation.

many thanks

Dave