Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

If you are having trouble finding an elusive DCM citation, I may be able to help. Please give full name & regiment of individual, otherwise I have no chance of finding him.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

I'd appreciate your help with this chap when you have a moment:

Private 20119 Joseph Jones, 20th Field Ambulance R.A.M.C. attached to 5th Siege Battery R.G.A.

His D.C.M. was gazetted 19th November 1917 for gallantry on 23rd September 1917 - although I've found his gazette entry I've not managed to trace a citation.

Many thanks

Steve

Steve, Here you go!

20119 Pte. J. Jones, R.A.M.C (Newport) LG 6th Feb 1918.

"For Conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When one officer in the battery had been killed and another severely wounded, this man proceeded with a stretcher, accompanied by a Gunner, and rescued the wounded Officer under very heavy concentrated shell fire. He carried the Officer to a dressing station, thereby saving his life. He then returned and dressed the wounded under heavy shell fire".

Hi Lyndon,

That's brilliant! Thank you very much for looking that up for me.

Best regards

Steve

It was my pleasure Steve. Did you notice the LG date?

Lyndon

Hi Lyndon,

Thanks, yes I did note the date.

The officer Pte Jones saved, 2nd Lt Francis Lennard, hadn't been with the 5th Siege Battery 2 weeks before being wounded. The officer that died, 2nd Lt James Rattray had only been with the battery about 5 weeks.

cheers

Steve

Pte Harry Royal Cannon,D.C.M..9204

2nd Cameronians.

KIA..10.03.1915.

Commemorated on The Le Touret Memorial.

A Native of Carshalton,Surrey.

Legend has it that He was the First Man to enter the German Trenches at Neuve Chapelle,and was Shot through the Head.I believe that he was also awarded the Russian Cross of St.George 1st Class.

Many thanks in Anticipation.Regards Russ.

P.B.I.

The citation does not elaborate on your knowledge, but here it is in full:

9204 Pte. H.R. Cannon, 2nd Bn., Cameronians

"Brought to notice for gallant conduct at Neuve Chapelle on the 10th March 1915, when he was the first man to enter the German trenches in the attack" (L.G. 3.6.15)

Nick

Hi Nick, since I always have trouble with the LG and you're offering.....

Lt-Col the Rev P.W. Beresford, 2/3rd London (Royal Fusiliers)

Lt-Col W.R.H. Dann, 2nd/4th London (Royal Fusiliers)

Capt G.E.A. Leake, 2nd/4th London (Royal Fusiliers) was recomended for VC

all won at Bullecourt between 12t - 17th May 1917

cheers, Jon

Jon

I can't find any of these officers - are they MCs rather than DCMs? I can only help you with the latter, I'm afraid.

Nick

Beresford's DSO:

LG 18-7-1917

Lt.-Col. Percy William Beresford, Lond. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and ability in command of his battalion during heavy enemy counter-attacks. The skill with which he handled his reserves: was of the utmost assistance to the division on his right, and his determination enabled us to hold on to an almost impossible position. He repulsed three counter-attacks, and lost heavily in doing so.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...p;exact=william beresford&atleast=&similar=

Dann's on the next page:

Maj. (temp. Lt.-Col.) William Rowland Harris Dann, Bedf. R., attd. Lond. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when commanding a battalion. His personality and bravery enabled his battalion to carry out a most difficult relief at, night, under very heavy shell fire. He was heavily counter-attacked on three successive occasions, but repulsed the enemy in spite of his own very severe losses.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...iam%20beresford

Steve.

Leake's D.S.O. :

LG 26-7-1917

2nd Lt. (actg. Capt.) George Ernest Arthur Leake, Lond. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of-his company. He showed a splendid example of coolness, disregard of danger, and cheerfulness, and, although wounded, he remained at duty. It was largely owing to his influence that all ranks showed such a splendid spirit under the most intense hostile barrage, which lasted for fourteen hours.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...george%20ernest

Steve.

Steve, your a star, many thanks. Also thanks and appologies to you Nick.

It looks like all three were earned on 14th May whilst trying to get the 2/3rd and 2/4th into the old German trenches in the north-east corner of Bullecourt.

cheers, Jon

P.B.I.

The citation does not elaborate on your knowledge, but here it is in full:

9204 Pte. H.R. Cannon, 2nd Bn., Cameronians

"Brought to notice for gallant conduct at Neuve Chapelle on the 10th March 1915, when he was the first man to enter the German trenches in the attack" (L.G. 3.6.15)

Nick

Many Thanks Nick..I visitd Le Touret 8 Years Ago and Noticed that His DCM was not inscribed along with His Name,i pointed this outto a CWGC Worker in the Cemetery,and Blow Mw..Within the Hour a Chap Turned up with His Equipment and proceeded to add the DCM next to Harrys Name.I went back this September and it is very plain to see that the DCM was Added on Much Later.Many thanks again Nick..Regards Russ.

Hi Nick,

these three if you will please -

Major H A Lewis, Y&L, KIA 1/7/16

R/1225 Herbert Davenport Skeels, KRRC

476135 A Jennett, RE

Dean

Dean

No DCM for Major Lewis.

R/1225 Pte. H. Skeels, 11th BN, KRRC (LG 22 Jan. 1916).

"For conspicuous gallantry during a raid near Cordonnerie on the night of 15th/16th December 1915. He showed great coolness & daring & inflicted heavy loss on the enemy, in spite of the difficulty of bombing owing to mud & wet. He killed one officer & many other Germans"

1105 Sapper A. Jennett, 1st West Riding Fld. Co., RE (TF) (LG 6 Sept. 1915)

"For great bravery on the 28th April 1915 on the Gallipoli Peninsula. An officer of the Argyll Mountain Battery had had his leg blown off & was lying in the open exposed to a heavy fire. Sapper Jennett, with the assistance of another man, voluntarily went out, crossing over a very difficult wire entanglement under heavy fire, & succeeded in bringing him to safety. He gave a conspicuous example of courage & self sacrifice"

Nick

PS. Russ - regarding Pte. Cannon. I'm glad you were able to give him the recognition he deserves.

Hi Nick,

thank you very much for going to the trouble to look these up for me.

much appreciated.

Dean.

Hi Nick,

could you please check the following DCM winner for me? -

John Jones, Pte 302534 2/8th Manchester Regt.

Died of wounds Oct 1917 aged allegedly 16 or 17.

Many thanks,

LST_164

Sorry for hijacking your thread Nick. I hope you don't mind me helping.

Here you go LST

302534 L/Cpl. J. Jones (Hengoed, S.Wales) LG 17/4/18

"For Conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He volunteered to swim across a river to obtain information, and although he encountered an enemy patrol and working party, he successfully returned with information required".

Would be grateful for:

Cpl. Herbert Wilkinson, 1/4th York & Lancaster (d.o.w 12 Sept 1916). Local newspaper hints suggest that he may have received his fatal wounds in the acts that resulted in the award of the DCM.

The second request is offered out of pure cheek, because I don't know anything useful about him. All I have is a partial name: T. W. Lee (!). Possibly of the KOYLI?

Many thanks in advance.

2057 Cpl H. Wilkinson LG 25/11/16

"For Conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in charge of two Lewis guns teams. During a heavy bombardment the trench was knocked in and a gun team buried. Corporal Wilkinson moved between his guns in full view of the enemy and under heavy fire, selecting new positions and only withdrew when ordered to do so".

Nothing in KOYLI for T W Lee.

Thanks Lyndon.

T. W. Lee has been a headache for a while. Without intending to abuse your genorosity, the other two possible regiments are the Sherwood Foresters or North Staffordshires.

Thanks particularly for Wilkinson. This man was undoubtedly brave. As a civilian, a couple of years before the war, he'd rushed into a burning building to save a child's life.

Thanks very much indeed Lyndon,

John Jones DCM is on the war memorial at Gwalchmai, Anglesey, where his parents came from and shown as age 16 (CWGC locates him in S.Wales and gives 17 as age). Goodness knows how old he was when he enlisted in that case, but still a pretty young (posthumous) gallantry medal winner.

All the best,

LST_164

Hi Andrew,

Nothing in the North Staffordshires! However, this could be your man in the Sherwood Foresters.

185659 Sjt. T. Lee, Notts. & Derby Regiment (Alfreton) LG 26/1/1918.

"For Conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When all his officers had become casualties he took command of the company and exhibited very high qualities of leadership, initiative and courage. Although three times counter attacked and twice left unsuppported with his flank in the air he so intelligently anticipated the enemy's movements that he was able to maintain his position and inflict very severe casualties upon them. He personally accounted for several of the enemy and was the first to charge into the enemy strong point at which his company commander was wounded, and from which a machine gun, two officers and forty other ranks were collected. He set a splended example throughout"

Ah, that may be the man. Alfreton is only a few miles away and a lot of chaps from the neighbouring village named their home address as Alfreton.

This gives me some sort of lead - which is a major step forward - so thank you very much for taking the trouble to look it up for me.