Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Nick

I wonder if you could look up a local man for me, 11235 Pte. John Thomas Davenport, Lincolnshire Regiment? He won his DCM in either late 1915 or early 1916.

Thanks!

Jim

Im not Nick! But you are welcome

If you are having trouble finding an elusive DCM citation, I may be able to help. Please give full name & regiment of individual, otherwise I have no chance of finding him.

Nick

hi. colour sergeant john william mullins 7214 later 4680601 was my great grandfather any details on his dcm would be welcomed

thanks

lee

From his MIC he's Yorkshire Light Infantry. Unfortunately no citation is listed (one of the very few which is not). Only other info is that his DCM was Gazetted on 30/1/1920, he was with the 2nd Bn., & was from Leeds. (Rank given as Sergeant).

Nick

Lee

Do you know his regiment?

Nick

hi nick, many many thanks for your reply, do you know the reason that some dcms were not listed with a citation? could this be because he was a prisoner of war at the battle of le cateau?

thanks again

lee

Hello again Nick.

Could I bother you once again with this man please.

MOCKLAIR/MOCLAIR, JOHN EDWARD. Rank: Lance Serjeant. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit; 8th Bn. Age at Death: 26. Date of Death: 05-09-18. Service No: 3582 He was formerly with the Leinster Regiment where his number was 3555. Awards: D C M. Born in Cashel, enlisted in Castlebar, Co Mayo while living in Cashel. Killed in Action but originally reported as wounded and missing. Supplementary information; Son of Patrick and Margaret Mary Moclair (nee Carew), of Ballinsee House, Cashel, Co. Tipperary. Grave or Memorial Reference: III. H. 10. Cemetery: Le Grand Beaumart British Cemetery, Steenwerck, Nord in France.

Sorry for being such a pain but its what I do best you see.

Kind regards.

Tom

Moclair gazetted 30.10.18

hi nick, many many thanks for your reply, do you know the reason that some dcms were not listed with a citation? could this be because he was a prisoner of war at the battle of le cateau?

thanks again

lee

The DCM could have been backdated to 1914 - perhaps the officer who recommended him was POW as well

Fantastic, thanks you Coldstreamer. Its another little bit of the Tipperary jigsaw falling into place. If you ever get to Tipperary I'll stand you a nights drinking.

Can I be cheeky again please?

Would you have any info on these 2 men?

BOLGER, JAMES. Rank: Serjeant. Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers. Unit; 1st Bn. Age at Death: 37. Date of Death: 28-11-15. Service No: 5851 Awards: D C M. Born in Tipperary Town, enlisted in London while living in Nenagh. He won the Distinguished Conduct Medal before he died in Gallipoli. Supplementary information; Son of Mrs. Winifred Bolger, of Birr Rd, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary. Grave or Memorial Reference: Has no known grave but is commemorated on Panel 185 to 190. Memorial: Helles Memorial in Turkey.

CUNNINGHAM, A J. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Regiment or Service: London Regiment (London Irish Rifles). Unit; 18th Bn. Age at Death: 25. Date of Death: 15-09-16. Awards: D C M. Supplementary information; Son of Patrick Tuhan Cunningham and Margaret Cunningham, of 43, Tavistock Rd, Westbourne Park, London. Born at Clonmel, Co. Tipperary. Grave or Memorial Reference: XII. B. 11. Cemetery: Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval in France.

Regards.

Tom.

Tom

Here you go with Cunningham:

"1694 Sgt. (now 2nd Lt) A.J. Cunningham, 18th (County of London) London Irish Rifles, London Regt., TF. For conspicuous gallantry. During the attack he assumed command of his company when the officers became wounded, and led it with conspicuous bravery and skill until wounded himself. (LG 11/3/16)"

Nick

Nick you are an absolute Gentleman, thank you very much. Another piece of the jigsaw falls into place.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Cant see Bolger in the DCM book for the Munsters - pre war DCM ? He was 37

Hi all , Many thanks Nick for all your help heres the pictures you asked me to post on the forum , happy new year to you all

Cheers Dave

Thanks for looking anyway Coldstreamer. I am not sure if it was pre-War or not.

Happy New year all.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Nick, hello,

Would it please be possible to look up, Serjeant George Mills 84992, 34th Division Signals?

Thank you,

Regards,

Rob.

Rob

No citation, I'm afraid. Only other info given is that he was from Norwich & the DCM was Gazetted on January 30th, 1920. (Sgt. G.D. Mills, 34th Div. Sig. Coy., RE)

Nick

Nick

I would be grateful if you would have a look for Private 33 McDonnell, Patrick Henry. Welsh Guards. He was 16202 Grenadier Guards before he transferred to the WG and I reckon he won the DCM in 1914 / early 1915 before he transferred, so definitely a Grenadier. His picture was printed in ‘The War Illustrated’ as a DCM award.

Many thanks

Nick

"16202 Lance-Corporal P. McDonnell, 2nd Grenadier Guards. LG 6 Nov. 1914. On 27th September made a first rate reconnaissance and discovered an unsuspected German trench"

Nick

Many thanks Nick............very much appreciated.