Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

William Burton - no one with this name in the Leicestershire Regt. DCMs

Ernest Haywood - no one with this name in the South Lancs./East Lancs DCMs

Harry Lloyd - no one with this name in the Royal Warwicks DCMs

48215 Cpl. E.B. Matthews, 101st Field Coy., R.E. "For conspicuous gallantry, when he assisted in the digging of a fire trench within thirty yards of the enemy, & again on another night, when he assisted in placing a wire entanglement within twenty yards of the enemy" (L.G. 11.3.1916)

12904 Sgt. H. Simpson, Shropshire L.I. (Coventry) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. In the attack his company came up against a very strong enemy post, & at the same time under close direct fire from an enemy field battery. On seeing this he, with great initiative, led his platoon round the flank of this post, & through his action & skilful leadership his company was able to effect the capture of the post & continue its advance on the objective (L.G. 1.5.1918)

R/2038 Sgt. F.C. Vincent, K.R.R.C. "For conspicuous gallantry in action. He organised a bombing party under very heavy fire, & led them with great courage & determination. When his supply of bombs ran short he kept the enemy at bay with rapid fire. Later, he organised parties to collect the wounded" (L.G. 14.11.1916)

39540 Cpl. (A/Sgt.) S.J. Wilson, MM, 15th Bde., R.F.A. (Lewisham) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty at Metz, on 18th Sept., 1918, while the battery position was under heavy shell fire, all the men being withdrawn to a flank for over two hours, this NCO remained outside the telephone pit endeavouring to obtain visual communication with Group H.2, all lines being cut. He managed to get through a warning of an impending attack on the left flank, which enabled the guns to direct their barrage on receiving the SOS. During four weeks' offensive this NCO has invariably set a splendid example to those serving with him" (L.G. 16.1.1919)

Dean

6444 Cpl. H.B. Hilton, 1st Bn., K.R.R.C. "For the gallantry displayed at Givenchy on 18th February, 1915, when he threw German bombs with great effect into the enemy's trench, causing general alarm along their line" (L.G. 1/4/1915)

Nick

Thank you Nick, very much appreciated.

Dean.

Hi Nick

I would be grateful if you could look up this fellow for me.

7271 CSM G W Lloyd, 8th Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (KSLI) served France and Salonika

thank you for your time

regards

dunmore44 (simon)

Simon

7271 CSM G.W. Lloyd (SR) (Peterborough) (SALONIKA) "For conspicuous gallantry & good leadership during the attack on 'P' ridge on 18th September, [when] his company officers & a large proportion of its men became casualties. He assumed command of the remainder, leading them & placing them in the best position to assist the attack. He showed a great example of coolness & initiative under the most trying circumstances" (L.G. 10.1.1920)

Nick

Nick

Great work, thanks very much

Simon

Hi Nick,

looking for a citation to a Bernard Percy Bellamy, ( about 1916 i think ),not for me this one Nick, but for Sheffield Local Studies Library.

regards

Dean.

Sorry Nick,

3218 York & Lancs.

Dean.

Dean

3/3218 Sgt. (A/CSM) B.P. Bellamy, 6th Bn. York & Lancaster Regt. "For consistent good work & for the fine example he has shown to his men" (L.G. 21.6.1916)

Nick

Thank you Nick, i will pass that on.

regards

Dean.

Nick

Many thanks for the citation for Cumming, a nice treat when I got back from holiday

All the best John

Nick,

Apologies for contacting you through this posting. (first time I've used this forum)

Please see my recent request on "soldiers" re: Wallace Clissold posted today.

Many thanks,

John

John

I've tried to send you a message but to no avail. How can I help? Send me a P.M. if that's easier.

Nick

Nick John

I'm given to understand that new memebers need 10 or more posts to use the PM facility.

Hywyn

Thanks Hywyn. I wasn't aware of that.

In response to another PM, here is the requested citation:

420738 QMS E.J. Naylor (Bow), London Regiment "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. By his untiring energy, courage & example, he was responsible for getting up rations & ammunition through a heavy barrage to the battalion. The splendid supply arrangements were of the utmost value at a very trying time" (L.G. 6.2.1918)

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Another look up please Nick,

73735 Gunner Joseph Lambert, died 7/8/16. R.F.A.

dEAN.

Dean

73735 Gunner J. Lambert, 83rd Btty., R.F.A. "For gallant conduct at Neuve Chapelle on 11th & 12th March, 1915, in carrying several messages under shell & rifle fire, after the telephone lines had been cut" (L.G. 3rd June 1915)

Nick

• 1 month later...

Hello I know this is not a DCM enquiry, but re you able to point me in the right direction. My great uncle Albert John Stephens 106th Field Company Royal Engineers ( born South Cerney or Cerney Wick ) recieved the Belgian Decoration mILITAIRE .I found London Gazette entry but have no clue to the circumstances

Any help much aprreciated

Best wishes Joan

Hi yet another one please l/cpl W Coleshill 1st Manchester I have never been able to find it .

thanks in advance

MC