Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Wayne

There is no DCM citation for Pte. S.D. Richey amongst the Canadian Infantry entries, so it would seem he was never officially decorated. I doubt there would be any in-depth records of the Canadian Army amongst the British Army papers, but I might be wrong. (The National Archives at Kew in London would be the place to start, if you could appoint someone to look on your behalf). If you post this elsewhere someone may come up with something - there are some innovative people on this Forum! Interesting story, though.

Nick

Wayne

There is no DCM citation for Pte. S.D. Richey amongst the Canadian Infantry entries, so it would seem he was never officially decorated. I doubt there would be any in-depth records of the Canadian Army amongst the British Army papers, but I might be wrong. (The National Archives at Kew in London would be the place to start, if you could appoint someone to look on your behalf). If you post this elsewhere someone may come up with something - there are some innovative people on this Forum! Interesting story, though.

Nick

Thanks Nick!

I appreciate you looking into this for me. Thanks for the Tip!

Wayne

Nick,

Could I ask do you have anything for George Trine 10497 1st Bn HLI attd to 1st Bn Ox & Bucks. I know his DCM is gazetted 12 Dec 1917, but unfortunately there isn't a citation, I'm not sure if you have any other sources.

Thank You,

Spud

Spud

Nothing there, I'm afraid, other than he was from Putney. Only a small percentage have no citations, & unfortunately this was one of them.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Have had no success tracking down citations for the following men, could you help out?

Gunner John Joseph Mears (Service no. 12048) served with Y Company of the 11th Trench Mortar Battery, Royal Field Artillery and also a Thomas Loughlin, Royal Engineers (possibly 172564)

Many thanks Neil.

Neil

No mention of either men in the relevant entries I'm afraid. Are you sure they were awarded the DCM, or could they have been MM recipients instead?

Nick

Sue

4812 R.S.M. E. Paul "For conspicuous gallantry in action. He took charge of a party of fifty men, who were carrying RD stores to the captured enemy line. When hung up by heavy machine gun fire he skilfully got his party through by a circuitous route. He then returned with most valuable information as to the state of affairs. Throughout the rest of the day he did fine work" (L.G. 22.9.16)

Nick

Nick, many thanks for checking, it appears that despite local reports stating DCM, it may well be MM's if anything. Could I trouble you with one more check:

Company Sergeant Major Stanley Stocks, King's Royal Rifle Corps. I don't know anything further other than a local report that states he won the DCM.

Thanks in advance

Neil.

Neil - sorry, another blank! He may have been serving with another regiment at the time, but he's not amongst the KRRC citations.

Nick

not kosb

or border regt

Neil

Do you have the citation or any mention of Corporal James Cumming 1/6th Gordons. he DOW on the 16th of March 1915 so likely to be pretty early on

Many thanks John

Hambo

My computer's off-line at the moment, so I'll have a look as soon as I'm back up & running. (This is being typed on someone else's computer, & therefore I don't have the DCM citations to hand!)

Nick

Would you have anything on these men ? all with a coventry connection

ALLEN, Corporal, Henry James Olaf, DCM. 320171, 6th Bn., City of London Regiment. Killed in action, 7th June, 1917. Age 20. Son of Thomas Allen and of Caroline Allen, of 10, Paradise Place, High Street, Marleybone, London. Born at Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. Resided at Holbron ( formerly Coventry). Enlisted London. Memorial Ref. Panel 57. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.

BOOTH, Company Quartermaster Sergeant, Frank, DCM. 25030, 2nd Bn., Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) formerly Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. Killed in action 10th September, 1918. Age 27. Son of John Walter and Blanche Booth of 103, King's Road, King's Heath, Birmingham. Born in St. John's Parish. Grave Ref. I. J. 22. Vaulx Hill Cemetery, France.

BRIGHT, Lance Sergeant, Albert Edward, DCM, MM. 10719, 4th Bn., Coldstream Guards. Died of wounds, 14th April, 1918. Age 23. Son of Alfred and S. Bright of 13, Ventnor Road, Hockley, Birmingham. Born in St. Michael's Parish, Coventry. Distinguished Conduct Medal award, gazetted 3rd June, 1918. Grave Ref. XXI. D. 20. Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez, France.

BRINDLE, Private, Harry, DCM. 18232, 11th Bn., Royal Fusiliers. Killed in action, 23rd March, 1918. Born Coventry. Enlisted Coventry. Resided Coventry. Distinguished Conduct Medal award, gazetted 3rd June, 1918. Memorial Ref. Panel 19 to 21. Pozieres Memorial, France.

BURTON, Lance Corporal, William, DCM. 10685, 1st Bn., Leicestershire Regiment. Killed in action Battle of the Somme, 15th September, 1916. Born in 1893 at Aylestone, Leicestershire. Resided at 17, Mulliner Street. Employed by Albion Drop Forgings. Enlisted August, 1914. DCM awarded August, 1915. Eldest son of Mr. And Mrs. W. Burton of 71, Mulliner Street. Memorial Ref. Pier and Face 2 C and 3 A. Thiepval Memorial, France

HAYWOOD, Second Lieutenant, Ernest, DCM., 5th Bn., South Lancashire Regiment attd. 2nd Bn., East Lancashire Regiment, 27th May, 1918. Age 29. Son of Robert and Dinah Haywood, of The Cliff, Cinder Hill, Nottingham. Husband of Annie Maria Haywood, of "Woodside," Arley, Coventry. Memorial Ref. Soissons Memorial, Aisne, France.

LLOYD, Private, Harry, DCM. 2965, 1/7th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Killed in action, 25th July, 1916. Age 30. Employed Coventry. Son of Thomas and Annie Lloyd. Husband of Eliza Lloyd, of 1, Back, 98, Bridge Street, West Hockley, Birmingham. Also served on North-West Frontier of India, with 1st Bn. (1908). Memorial Ref. Pier and Face 9 A 9 B and 10 B. Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.

MATTHEWS, Company Sergeant Major, Ethelbert Balfour, DCM. 48215, 101st Field Coy., Royal Engineers. Killed in action, Ypres, 11th June, 1917. Age 23. Son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Matthews, of Arley, nr. Coventry. Born Bentley, Warwickshire. Enlisted Nuneaton. Resided Coventry. Grave Ref. I. B. 41. Hop Store Cemetery, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

SIMPSON, Company Sergeant Major, Harold, DCM. 66186, 2nd /10th Bn., Royal Scots formerly 12904, Shropshire Light Infantry. Died of wounds, Russia, 13th October 1918. Age 24. Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Simpson. Husband of Emily Gertrude Simpson, of 29, Paynes Lane, Coventry. Born Madeley, Shrops. Enlisted Shrewsbury. Resided Coventry. Memorial Ref. Archangel Memorial, Russian Federation

VINCENT, Second Lieutenant, Frederick Charles, DCM. 7th Bn., King's Royal Rifle Corps. 21st March, 1918. Age 25. Eldest son of William Charles and Emily Lauria Vincent, of Walsgrave-on-Sowe, Coventry. Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal for fighting on the Somme. Employed Daimler Co. Ltd. Commemorated Walsgrave Memorial and Bablake School Memorial. Memorial Ref. Panel 61 to 64. Pozieres Memorial, Somme, France.

WILSON, Sergeant, Samuel, DCM, MM. 39540, 52nd Bty. 15th Bde., Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action, 4th November, 1918. Age 30. Husband of Naomi F. Wilson, of 39, Pascoe Road, Lewisham, London. Born Coventry. Enlisted Liverpool. Grave Ref. B. 1. Ghissignies British Cemetery, France.

Hi Nick,

could I please ask for a search (when convenient) for the following man's DCM citation? -

Hennessey, Maurice Patrick, Sgt. 10957 8th Royal Welsh Fus.

Believed to be awarded in London Gazette 21 June 1916 (by which time he had been killed in action).

Thanks,

LST_164

Hambo

Is this your man?

1000 Pte. J. Cummings, 6th (Banff & Donside) Gordon Highlanders. "For the gallantry displayed at Neuve Chapelle from 10th to 14th March 1915. Rendered conspicuously good service in the command of his section whilst exposed to shell fire"

(L.G. 3.6.15)

LST-164

10957 Sgt. M.P. Hennessey, 8th Bn., R.W.F. "For conspicuous gallantry. When commanding an isolated trench with only twelve men he held his own under an intense bombardment till the trench was completely wrecked. He then withdrew and joined the firing line" (L.G. 21.6.16)

tharkin56

I'll look at your Coventry men over the next couple of days.

Nick

First of the Coventry men:

1437 L/Cpl H.J.O. Allen, 6th (City of London) Bn. (Rifles) "For conspicuous gallantry on many occasions, when he carried out reconnaissance at night outside the front trenches under heavy fire" (L.G. 11.3.16)

10337 Pte. F. Booth, Ox & Bucks L.I. "For conspicuous gallantry in action, when he mounted his machine gun in the open & stopped an enemy counter-attack. After all the other members of the gun team had become casualties, Pte. Booth continued to snipe the enemy, causing them heavy losses. His coolness & bravery under heavy fire was most marked" (L.G. 14.11.16)

More to follow

Nick,

very many thanks for that useful information on Hennessey.

Regards,

LST_164

More Coventry men...

10719 Cpl. (L/Sgt.) A.E. Bright, MM, Coldstream Guards (Birmingham) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty during an attack. He commanded his company when all the officers had been hit & displayed great courage. His grasp of the situation at that very critical time was of the utmost value to his commanding officer. He has proved himself a magnificent leader of men" (L.G. 21.10.1918)

G/18232 Pte. (L/Cpl.) H. Brindle, Royal Fusiliers (Coventry) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty in attending to wounded on several occasions in the line. For two days he worked under heavy shell fire with untiring energy, & undoubtedly saved many lives" (L.G. 21.10.1918)

Hi,

would very much appreciate a look up for Sgt. H.B. Hilton, K.R.R.C.

regards

Dean.