Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Hi Nick.

I wonder if you have anything on two local lads from Cullen:

1 is Serjeant ALEXANDER GERRARD BURNETT, 6th Bn Gordon Highlanders

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=666943

and the other is Pte J HADDEN 7th Bn Seaforth Highlanders

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=447460

who is listed on the CWGC as being awarded the MM but on the local war memorial as the DCM.

Many thanks.

Drover

zippy.72

27568 Cpl. W. Holmes, MM, R.A.M.C., attd. 89th (High.) Fd. Amb., (Mansfield) "For conspicuous gallantry & energy near Menin, on 28th September, 1918. He stayed at the Regimental Aid Post under very heavy shelling, tending the wounded & carrying them to safety. On 1st October, when five squads of his men suffered several casualties from shell fire, he remained with the wounded alone, & carried one by one to a shell hole, where he dressed their wounds. He set a splendid example of gallantry & devotion to duty" (L.G. 10 Jan. 1920)

Joan - sorry, I don't have any access to Belgian decorations. Perhaps it was announced in his local newspaper at the time?

27th Bn

1015 A/Sgt. W. Coleshill, 1st Bn. Manchester Regt. "For the gallant conduct displayed on 27th November 1914 near Neuve Chapelle" (L.G. 1st April 1915)

Drover

265325 Sgt. A.G. Burnett "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. During the attack he worked round behind an enemy machine gun & killed the men working the gun. He was instrumental in capturing the gun & its team" (L.G. 18th July 1917)

No one with the surname 'Hadden' is listed amongst the Seaforth Highlanders DCMs.

Nick

Hi,

Any listing for;

Name: SADLER

Initials: William

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cameron Highlanders

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 26/07/1918

Service No: S/14820

Awards: DCM, MM

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 217.

Cemetery: VERBERIE FRENCH NATIONAL CEMETERY

Thanks

S/14820 Sgt. W. Sadler, MM, Cameron Highlanders (Invergowrie). "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. He led his platoon with the greatest gallantry in an attack. Though wounded no less than four times, he kept advancing & controlling his men perfectly, giving his orders under intense machine gun fire with the greatest coolness. He was finally wounded for the fifth time. His splendid courage & tenacity were a great inspiration to his platoon". (L.G. 30 Oct. 1918)

Nick

S/14820 Sgt. W. Sadler, MM, Cameron Highlanders (Invergowrie). "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. He led his platoon with the greatest gallantry in an attack. Though wounded no less than four times, he kept advancing & controlling his men perfectly, giving his orders under intense machine gun fire with the greatest coolness. He was finally wounded for the fifth time. His splendid courage & tenacity were a great inspiration to his platoon". (L.G. 30 Oct. 1918)

Nick

Brilliant. Much appreciated.

rgds.,

Mark

27th Bn

1015 A/Sgt. W. Coleshill, 1st Bn. Manchester Regt. "For the gallant conduct displayed on 27th November 1914 near Neuve Chapelle" (L.G. 1st April 1915)

Thanks Nick thats great interesting LG date too 1st April

Thanks MC

zippy.72

27568 Cpl. W. Holmes, MM, R.A.M.C., attd. 89th (High.) Fd. Amb., (Mansfield) "For conspicuous gallantry & energy near Menin, on 28th September, 1918. He stayed at the Regimental Aid Post under very heavy shelling, tending the wounded & carrying them to safety. On 1st October, when five squads of his men suffered several casualties from shell fire, he remained with the wounded alone, & carried one by one to a shell hole, where he dressed their wounds. He set a splendid example of gallantry & devotion to duty" (L.G. 10 Jan. 1920)

Joan - sorry, I don't have any access to Belgian decorations. Perhaps it was announced in his local newspaper at the time?

27th Bn

Drover

265325 Sgt. A.G. Burnett "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. During the attack he worked round behind an enemy machine gun & killed the men working the gun. He was instrumental in capturing the gun & its team" (L.G. 18th July 1917)

No one with the surname 'Hadden' is listed amongst the Seaforth Highlanders DCMs.

Nick

Many thanks Nick

Looking for a friend's Uncle - Royal Field Artillery 9178 Sgt. J Veitch, but haven't been able to track anything down elsewhere. We do know he was killed in action on 23rd March 1918, aged 22, and is buried in Arras. Any info on why he was awared the DCM would be great.

Many thanks anyway

Dave

Dave

9178 Bombardier J. Veitch, "C" Btty., 71st Bde., RFA "For conspicuous gallantry from the 26th September to the 14th October, 1915, during which time his battery was in the open & constantly under a very heavy fire. On the 8th October, when the enemy were attacking & it was of the utmost importance that communications should be maintained, he voluntarily went out on four or five occasions into the open, &, under a very heavy shell fire, repaired the telephone wires. He has invariably set a fine example of disregard of danger & devotion to duty" (L.G. 29 Nov. 1915)

Nick

Dave

9178 Bombardier J. Veitch, "C" Btty., 71st Bde., RFA "For conspicuous gallantry from the 26th September to the 14th October, 1915, during which time his battery was in the open & constantly under a very heavy fire. On the 8th October, when the enemy were attacking & it was of the utmost importance that communications should be maintained, he voluntarily went out on four or five occasions into the open, &, under a very heavy shell fire, repaired the telephone wires. He has invariably set a fine example of disregard of danger & devotion to duty" (L.G. 29 Nov. 1915)

Nick

Many thanks Nick. Very much appreciated. I've passed your info along to a very pleased friend.

Dave

• 1 month later...

In reply to a PM:

29017 Pte. J. Johnson, MM, 9th Bn., E. Surry. R. (Facit) "For most conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. During the attack on Haussy Village on 16th October, 1918, in company with a corporal & one man, he successfully attacked a machine gun nest, capturing the crews & bringing back 10 prisoners. Later, during withdrawal, nearly all officers & NCOs having become casualties, he rallied a platoon &, under the orders of the company commander, formed a defensive flank covering the withdrawal of the rest of the company across the river. Throughout he showed marked courage & initiative" (L.G. 2 Dec. 1919)

• 4 weeks later...

Cam

4664 Sgt. W.J.PEOPLES (Stansted) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty when in command of a platoon. The battalion was ordered to advance & retake a position from which another unit had been driven back. During the advance under a heavy enemy barrage he kept his platoon well in hand, &, collecting detached men of other units, advanced through a village just in time to meet the advancing enemy. He drove back the advanced parties of the enemy, & under heavy rifle fire which caused many casualties in his platoon, succeeded in establishing a firing line on the far side of the village & held the enemy until reinforcements arrived, when a further advance was made. His courage & good leading were instrumental in saving the village, & his gallantry & coolness were a most inspiring example to his men"

(28/3/18)

John

No one with the surname Woods in amongst the Leinsters or Connaught Rangers DCMs.

Nick

I have come across a few citations in thelocal papers do you want me to post them and make sure they can't fill any blanks in your database, also i have a few men who have the award but no citation printed I can post tomorrow.

Only a handful of DCM awards do not have citations so if you are able to fill in any blanks that would be very helpful.

Nick

I don't think that John Williamson was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, Kate. He does have service records online however, in case you haven't seen them.

Steve.

Its taken me a bit longer to pull together my file on Coventry DCM men with photos i will post it all when i have finished i am upto E

Kate

Definitely no John Williamson amongst the Cheshire Regt. DCMs. Could he have been serving with another regiment?

Nick

Hi Nick,

Do you have any record of a DCM for William Henry Daviess (or Davies), possibly R.H.A. ?

Many thanks,

ASA1