Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Do you have the citation for a Cpl H Baugh Kings Liverpool Regiment ?

I think it will be in 1918 with the 1st Battalion.

Many thanks

Neil

Neil

53001 Cpl. H. BOUGH (Manchester) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. Though wounded prior to the enemy attack, he had his machine gun on top of the parapet during the heavy enemy barrage & accounted for large numbers of the enemy as they advanced. On the enemy penetrating our front line, he moved his gun into a sunken road, down which the enemy were advancing, & succeeded in delaying their advance, though under heavy fire & bombed from the flank. He kept his gun in action until the enemy were beaten back. His conduct was beyond all praise" (L.G. 1.5.18)

Nick

Nick,

That's great, many thanks.

That helps me a lot and fits nicely into the jigsaw I'm trying to peice together :D

Neil

Hi Nick,

Do you have any record of a DCM for William Henry Daviess (or Davies), possibly R.H.A. ?

Many thanks,

ASA1

ASA1

Nothing under the RHA or RGA. Two named W. Davis under the RFA, one from Felling-on-Tyne, the other from Petersfield.

Judith

13205 C.S.M. H. Holt, S. Lanc. Regt. (Warrington). "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. This warrant officer has served with distinction, without a break, during the whole period under review. He has always shown a fine example of courage & soldierly behaviour. He has never failed in any task that has been assigned to him, though well advanced in years, & it is difficult to praise too highly his conduct & the example he has set to younger soldiers" (L.G. 21/10/18)

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

Is there anything on CSM Robert Worthington Johnson, 8th Norfolk Regiment? KIA 21/10/16.

Thanks,

ASA1

13760 C.S.M. R.W. Johnson, Norfolk Regt. "For conspicuous gallantry in action. He marked out the line of a trench under intense fire, & got every man to his work. He displayed great courage & determination throughout, & set a splendid example to his men" (L.G. 25/11/16)

Nick

Nick

I would be grateful for any of these DCM winners's citations, all with Liverpool links, if and when convenient:

Campbell, JC, Pte, 2nd Bn. Gordons [not shown on his CWGC entry, so may be a red herring]

Evans, J, Cpl, Canadian MGC

Hudson, T, Pte, 13/KLR

[edited to reduce list]

Many thanks

Daggers

Daggers

No one with the surname Campbell is amongst the Gordons' DCMs.

EVANS, J. L/Cpl (448088) Canadian Machine Gun Corps "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. He displayed great gallantry in bringing his gun into action at close range under heavy fire" (L.G. 9.7.17)

HUDSON, T. Pte. (58584) King's Liverpool Regt. "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. Encountering a party of enemy snipers, he alone crawled round their flank under heavy fire, & killed twelve and captured two" (L.G. 18.7.17)

Nick

Here are some details of coventry men who i have photos from local papers reason for dcm was not citied in all cases and some were lenthgy. This is not all coventry men just men who served and who i have photos off. The service no was not citied either and the date is when they appeared in the paper, off course some maybe false as well as I have not verified.

ANDERSON, W. Sergeant. Awarded DCM. 20th January 1915.

ANSELL, Bombardier Fitter. Awarded DCM for gallantry saving a number of guns. Enlisted outbreak of war and resided 1c. 2h. Chapel Street, Coventry. 30th August 1918.

ASKEW, Walter. Sergeant, KRRC. Awarded DCM. Resided Warwick Road, Kenilworth. Enlisted September 1914. January, 1918.

BARBER, A. Sergeant, 15630, 10th Worcesters formerly Lancashire Fusiliers. Awarded DCM for taking charge of a platoon when the officers and senior sergeants had become casualties on the 20th September 1917 and using good initiative in securing a strong enemy position and consolidating the same. Served eight years with the Lancashire Fusiliers and four years on the reserve. Re-enlisted September 1914 and went to France 1915. Wounded and returned to France, January 1917. 25th January 1918.

BERRY, C. Lance Corporal. 1/7th Royal Warwicks. DCM awarded for conspicuous gallantry in the field. Writing home he says :" I know you think I was swanking if I told you anything about it before but there it is : I went and thank Heavens; I got back and brought their bombs and a host of other things. They would have a fright when they got back to their post it being only fifteen feet from our post. Well we let them alone all the first night and off course they found everything missing. The next day they send rifle grenades and swish bangs into us but did no damage. We left them alone the same night, but the next night I asked permission of the OC to bomb them. Well I got three bombers and two of us got in a position so that we could see them come in. After waiting an hour we saw three of them enter so we got back and waited until they had grown a bit tired. At 2.45am I got my bombers in position, with rifle men by their side and directing them where to throw we dropped eight lemon bombs into the post. Then we waited for quarter of an hour. Then the Germans who were in the fire trench who were only seventy five yards away started to shout and wave a lamp, but off course they got no response from their listening post. After an hour they gave up and started to send rifle grenades at us but as I said with no result. At nine the same night a bomber and I went to their post to see the damage done having to get throught their barbed wire. It was rather a nerve racking experience but as luck would have it our bombs had blown the post and dugout in and off course the poor Germans were underneath. I had stuck to my post for 56 hours, seen the job through then after reporting to my officer, I went and had a well earned rest. I have been recommended for the DCM. He was well known as a clever monologue artist. 28th January 1916.

BOWRON, A. J. (Bert). 1st Bn., DCLI. Resided Spon End awarded DCM for repairing of trench communications wires under shell fire and gas. 4th February 1916.

BUCKNALL, T. Private, Royal Warwicks. Awarded DCM at Tambour Du Court whilst assisting in a resuce party in foul gas and total darkness. Native of Bedworth. 19th November 1915.

BUTCHER, E. G. Private, 47th Field AmbulanceRAMC, DCM. Resided 11 Ludlow Road, Earlsdon. Awarded DCM aged 20 years for attending to the wounded at the Battle of Loos for over 30 hours on September 25tth and 26th. He was wounded in the right forearm and carried another wounded man for 4.5 hours and both were found unconscious. Attended St. Osburgs until 14 and went to the Triumph Cycle Works. Presented with DCM at Coventry on the 18th June 1916 at Bablake School.

CHARLEY, Albert. Sergeant., 15657 42nd Brigade RFA. Awarded DCM. 23rd July 1915. Resided 22 West Street. Bar to DCM Mentioned in Despatches four times. Awarded DCM for mending and patrolling telephone lines under heavy shell fire. Bar for 24th – 25th September 1915 at Hooge for mending lines over 40 consecutive hours, under heavy shell and rifle fire and during this time the Brigade communication never broke down'. 9th June 1916 (Middle)

COOMBES, Roderick. Gunner, 4th SMHB. Aged 18, resided Ashdene, 24 St. Patricks Road. Son of Walter Coombes. Employed Minton Diaries, Earlsdon. Awarded DCM for bravely staying with an Officer whilst observing the enemy. 21st January 1916.

DOWNING, G. H. Sergeant, 2nd Bn., Royal Warwicks. Awarded DCM for gallantry at the Battle of Loos. Lives in 30, Cambridge Street. 11th February 1916.

EATON, Thomas. Private, Royal Warwicks. Parents reside 721 Stoney Stanton Road, Coventry. Awarded DCM though title said Military Medal. Worked for Humber works. Wounded and gassed in France. 1st November 1918.

EVANS, Andrew. Corporal, RFA. Military Medal with bar and now a DCM. Enlisted outbreak of war and employed Daimler Works (tinsmith). MM awarded, when his battery wa sin a corner he has been the first to give assistance. In Egypt, Dardanelles and evacuated, Salonica and then France. 19th January 1917. Bar to MM for gallant conduct, during fighting a gunner had his legs blown off and Evans remained with him for over an hour getting him to a place of safety

GREEN, O. Sergeant. Resided 146 Foleshill Road. Awarded DCM. Employed Standard Motor Company.

GREY, W. G. Sergeant, RE. Awarded DCM and Military Medal. Resided Wine Lodge, Coventry. 24th May 1918. DCM for gallantry and devotion to duty on July 1st and July 14th during the Battle of the Somme. Employed Drawing Office at Alfred Herberts Ltd. Son of Sergeant Major John Grey. Connected with St. Osburgs Boys Brigade.

Garlick Builders, Gosford Street, Coventry. 31st May 1918.

HUDSON, A. H. Private, 28, 14th Bn., Royal Warwicks. Awarded DCM for carrying messages under heavy fire. Enlisted November 18th 1914 with the 11th Bn., Royal Warwicks transferred to 14th Bn., Employed Bricklayer, Turners of Earlsdon. Wife and two children. Resided 48 Alfred Road. Wounded four occasions. 18th January 1918.

JACKSON, Steve. Former player of Coventry City FC. He has won both the Military Medal and DCM.

JACOBS. Private, 1st RWF. DCM awarded for severe operations in La Bassee District in December 1914.We were advancing at the time and Major Gabbet was second in command of our Battalion. We got to Menin and were subject to heavy fire, the officer got detached from us and was evidently in danger and apparently wounded. I was about 200 yards away from the others and I bandaged him and brought him back. Awarded DCM 5th April 1915. Wounded at Kenilworth. 12th May 1915.

LEMON, W. J. Corporal, RFA. Awarded DCM by Captain Kay. 22nd June 1916.

MITCHENER, A. Lance Sergeant, Royal Warwicks. Kenilworth man. Awarded DCM. June 1918.

NELSON, George. 34th Brigade, RFA. Recommended for DCM for keeping up communication under heavy shell fire. 29 years old, employed Rudge-Whitworth Works. Father, Andrew Nelson, resided 65 Kings Road, Beith. 31st March 1916. The Rudge Record 7.

NEWCOMBE, Private, Leicestershire Regiment. Resides 21 Freehold Street, Coventry. Awarded DCM. Charged as section of German trenches near Neuve Chapelle on May12th. On returning to trenches discovered that Lieutenant Cross was missing, Newcombe volunteered to go back and find him. Newcombe and an officer and comrade crept out in the face of terrific fire and found the officer a few yards from the German trench. The Lieutenant complained of being cold when Newcombe found him a cape, he stayed with the officer all night and crawled back for help. The rescuing party found the Lieutenant to be dead on return. Newcombe injured his back and legs falling into a shell hole.

REEVE, L. H. Lance Corporal, 11935, 1st Bn., KRRC. Awarded DCM on the 23rd June 1915. Kenilworth man. Presented Gold Watch by Kenilworth Volunteers in December 1915. Enlisted August 1914. France in November 1914 wounded twice. He and other men captured an enemy trench. His officers were wounded early in the morning, he held it from 11.15am to 2.00pm despite heavy fire and refused to leave until ordered to do so by a wounded officer.

SHORTRIDGE, Walter Leonard. Corporal, RE. Enlisted September 1914. Awarded DCM for laying a telephone wire whilst exposed to fire. 19th November 1915.

SMITH, W. C. Private, Royal Warwicks. Home at 39, Adeliade Street, Coventry. Awarded DCM for a night raid on a German position, he blew up enemys wire entanglement and brought in an enemy sniper, he then helped with the wounded. 11th May 1917.

STEANE, H. C. Warrant Officer, 11th Hussars. Awarded DCM. Home at 40 St. Margarets Road, Coventry. Brush was it by a bullet and saved his life. 19th May 1918.

TANDY, Henry. Private, West Riding Regiment. Awarded Victoria Cross already held DCM and MM. Leamington man. 27 years old, in the army 10 years. When during the advance at Marcoing, his platoon washeld up by machine gun fire he at once crawled forward, located the machine gun and with a Lewis gun knocked it out. On arrival at the crossings he restored the plank bridge under a hail of bullets thus enabling the crossing to be made at the vital spot. Later on during the evening during an attack, he with eight comrades was surrounded by an overwhelming number of Germans and though the situation was apparently hopeless he led a bayonet charge through them fighting so fiercely that 37 of the enemy were driven into the hands of the remainder of the company. Although twice wounded he refused to leave until the fight was won. 20th December 1918.

WALLINGTON, W. H. Sergeant, 9th Bn., KRRC. Awarded DCM and Croix de Guerre. Tyre fitter, Humber Works. Won medals at Hooge Took the German trench and volunteered to go back for the company, then volunteered to go back for ammunition, an party of twelve only six returned so he volunteered again. With his officer wounded he fought off counter attacks and was the highest rank left. 21st February 1916.

WALSGROVE, John. CSM, RWF. Awarded DCM in Italy. For captor of German pill box and trench mortar, capturing five men. Wounded three occasions. Employed Humber Co. Wife and children reside at 72, Ashville Terrace, Avon Street, Warwick. 21st December 1917.

WARING, J. J. 7th Royal Warwicks. No. 48. Longford Roll of Honour 30th July 1915. Awarded DCM.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick

I'm looking for the citation for Sjt J Conn RFA 630036 DCM LG 3/9/1918 "D 145-28" medal card details. I've tried every LG combination but no citation comes up. Would apprecite your help on this one

regards

AFairchild

I don't normally butt in on Nick's topic, but just as an exception to prove the rule:

London Gazette 3-9-1918

630036 Sjt. J. Conn, R.F.A. (Aberdeen).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an enemy advance. When his gun was brought into action within 300 yards of a bridge in the open to hold a canal crossing, he acted as layer, and by his skilful shooting he knocked out three machine-guns, and caused heavy casualties to the enemy, and greatly helped his guns to be got safely away.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/308...pplements/10282

Steve.

Hi Nick not a citation request but I was wondering if your reference book had a brake down of DCM awards to corps. If so I was wondering how many went to the Army cyclist corps? cheers GAreth

Appreciate anything on:

7335 LCpl (later LSgt) Joe Colgrave 5th Royal Irish Lancers awarded his DCM & MID during 1st Ypres.

Regards,

Martin

Gareth

There were 51 DCMs awarded to the Army Cyclist Corps

Martin

7335 L/Cpl. J. Colgrave "On 30th October near Hollebeke, showed great presence of mind & coolness during an emergency, in rallying bodies of Indian soldiers who had lost their officers"

Nick

Hi Nick,

I wonder if you have anything for C/Sgt Arthur SYKES, 5375207, 1sy Btn OBLI?

I think his DCM may be pre WW1 though.

Thank you.

Gareth

There were 51 DCMs awarded to the Army Cyclist Corps

Martin

7335 L/Cpl. J. Colgrave "On 30th October near Hollebeke, showed great presence of mind & coolness during an emergency, in rallying bodies of Indian soldiers who had lost their officers"

Nick

Nick,

Much obliged.

Cheers,

Martin