Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Hi

Have you any info on Sgt William Spicer Irish Guards (not sure which battalion) but I think he may have won it around Cambrai. I think he was a transport sergeant. One of my great uncle's sons has a copy of the citation but I don't know where he lives. Sicerely hope you can help

Regards

Martin

Martin

2623 Sgt. W. Spicer, Irish Guards, (Westport, Co. Mayo) L.G. 28/3/1918. "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. When in charge of pack-mules bringing forward stores, his party received several casualties, both amongst men & animals, from the very intense hostile barrage. Despite this, all the stores were safely brought up the line, failure to have delivered would have been disastrous to the companies assaulting later in the day. His splendid courage & gallant conduct were beyond all praise, & his complete disregard for personal safety was a fine example to all ranks"

Nick

Martin

2623 Sgt. W. Spicer, Irish Guards, (Westport, Co. Mayo) L.G. 28/3/1918. "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. When in charge of pack-mules bringing forward stores, his party received several casualties, both amongst men & animals, from the very intense hostile barrage. Despite this, all the stores were safely brought up the line, failure to have delivered would have been disastrous to the companies assaulting later in the day. His splendid courage & gallant conduct were beyond all praise, & his complete disregard for personal safety was a fine example to all ranks"

Nick

Hi

Thank you so so much for that. He was my mum's uncle and she never mentioned it once in her lifetime that he'd won a medal of any sort. I only found out by accident. Most grateful to you.

All good wishes

Martin

• 1 month later...

As you are kindly offering, I would be very grateful for anything you can find out about:

Sgt Arthur Gamble, no 77720 Royal Garrison Artillery, appeared in the Supplement to the LG 3.6.18. I cannot find any trace of a citation

In response to a PM, here is the only 'A. Reid' of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers to be awarded a WW1 DCM. His service number differs from the one specified. There are no indications of the individual's place of origin, or where his DCM deed took place:

17914 L/Cpl. A. REID "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. After his machine gun had jammed, & although himself wounded, he corrected the stoppage & opened fire on a strong enemy raiding party, driving them off at a critical time" (London Gazette 17.4.17)

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Nick

Do you have anything on 76201 Lance Sergeant Albert Warriner 9th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment. he died of wounds on the 17th of June 1916. According to a local newspaper he won his DCM in South Africa, duringthe Boer War and I'm afraid I don't know which unit he was serving with at the time

I'm hoping your source goes back to South Africa

Many thanks John

John

I'm afraid I only have DCM citations from WW1.

Best of luck with the search.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Nick,

Could you do a look up for Bmbr Oliver C. Dubois 78293 of 460 Battery, R.F.A.

Cheers Stuart.

Stuart

78293 Bombardier O.C. Dubois, 460th (Howitzer) Battery, R.F.A. (L.G. 16 Nov. 1915) "For conspicuous gallantry & resource on 6th August, 1915, at Cape Helles (Dardenelles), when he spent four hours repairing telephone wires under exceptionally heavy shell fire, doing his work well & effectively. Previously, on the 28th April, when sent with a message to the French firing line, he picked up a wounded Frenchman on his way back, & carried him to the nearest dressing station, where he left him, the whole action being performed under heavy rifle fire. Throughout the campaign, Bombardier Dubois has been distinguished for his bravery under fire & his devotion to duty"

Nick

Many Thanks Nick.

His younger brother, a 2nd Lt in the London Irish Rifles was killed on the 7th April 1917 and Oliver was killed 2 days later. There was only 2 years between them.

regards Stuart.

Stuart

Out of interest, do you have a photo of Oliver?

Nick

Afraid not Nick.

I intend to make a visit to Lewisham Libary sometime over the summer to take a look at their archives as it was where the Dubois brothers were from. I'm hoping they may appear in a local newapaper of the time. I looked up the surname on various websites and it seems many a Dubois settled in London when the Huguenots fled France although I dont know if this applies to the brothers forebears.

regards Stuart.

• 1 month later...

Nick

Could you look up the following:

- William Boardman (KIA 28/10/18 as 2Lt Seaforths)

- John Campbell (KIA 20/4/18 as 2Lt Seaforths)

Any help much appreciated.

Stuart

Stuart

200941 L/Sgt. W. Boardman (L.G. 18.7.17) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. He took command of the remainder of the platoon & captured his objective. He personally took fifteen prisoners. Throughout he set a splendid example to his men"

J. Campbell is either:

200785 Sgt. J. Campbell (Ullapool) (L.G. 18.7.17) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. Although wounded, he led his platoon to their objective, where, owing to casualties, he attacked an enemy machine-gun single-handed & put it out of action"

BAR to D.C.M. (L.G. 6.2.18) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. Accompanied by three others he entered his platoon objective before the barrage had lifted from it, & cleared the trench for forty yards, killing several of the enemy. This prompt action undoubtedly saved his platoon heavy casualties"

Or:

9262 Pte. J.W. Campbell, 7th Bn. (L.G. 16.11.15) "For conspicuous bravery on the 26th of September 1915 at Hohenzollern Redoubt. By his perfect example of coolness, bravery & devotion to duty under very heavy fire, he was instrumental in rallying the line when several units were mixed up with his own regiment. Later, under very heavy fire, he got on to the parapet & called to the men to stand firm. His gallantry & example contributed to the steadiness of all ranks"

Nick

Nick,

Can you please look up,

James, H – Bombardier – 32nd Battery – Died 6/02/1915

Thanks Andrew

Nick,

Can you please look up,

James, H – Bombardier – 32nd Battery RFA – Died 6/02/1915

Thanks Andrew

Andrew

29568 Bombardier H. James, 32nd Btty., R.F.A. (L.G. 30 June 1915) "For gallant conduct on 25th January, 1915, in laying telephone wire under fire. This N.C.O. has proved himself indefatigable & resourceful, & has done exceptionally well during the time he has been on active service"

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew

29568 Bombardier H. James, 32nd Btty., R.F.A. (L.G. 30 June 1915) "For gallant conduct on 25th January, 1915, in laying telephone wire under fire. This N.C.O. has proved himself indefatigable & resourceful, & has done exceptionally well during the time he has been on active service"

Nick

Thanks a lot Nick. Very helpful. Was wondering whether you know of a way to find MM's citations as well. I know LG is available but it some times hard to search.

Andrew

Andrew

I think only a handful of the earliest MM citations were ever published in the London Gazette. Sometimes they were mentioned in the War Diaries or perhaps a soldier's local newspaper back home, but generally they are quite difficult to track down.

Nick

• 1 month later...

In response to a PM....

13244 Cpl. (A/Sgt.) J.W. Briggs, Leicestershire Regt. "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty during a hostile attack. He took his Lewis gun forward as soon as the enemy barrage began, &, though the line was outflanked, he remained in an isolated forward position until his gun was put out of action. He then went back, obtained another gun, & kept it in action until the attack was beaten off. He showed the greatest determination in a very difficult position" (L.G. 6.2.18)

If you are having trouble finding an elusive DCM citation, I may be able to help. Please give full name & regiment of individual, otherwise I have no chance of finding him.

Nick

Hi Nick!

I have been searching Canadian Archives for two years now trying to find out about what happened to My Grandfather's DCM he was supposed to recieve according to news clippings from April 1917. He was the Battalion Sniper for the 28th NW CEF Pte. S.D. Richey #199384

He was injured in Oct of 1916 and spent 7 months at Ramsgate Hospital. According to my Grandmother, she said that records were lost while he was in the hospital and therefore was never presented the DCM for what happened on Sept 25, 1916 at Courcelette France. Would you have any idea how I could find more records that the British Army might have on the 28th Bat. NW, such as sniper reports from Sept to Nov 1916 Courcelette?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attached 2 files for you to review.

Thanks!

Wayne Richey

Carvel, Alberta, Canada

post-45881-1248239451.jpg

post-45881-1248239593.jpg