Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

• 4 months later...

Sue

Hi, Regarding the newspaper index do by chance have any newspaper obituries for the following

would be gratefull if you could have a look

cheers PHIL

Private, Albert Edward Booker, 17688, 7TH KSLI killed-in-Action BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, born Walsall, Staffordshire, enlisted Darlaston, resident Walsall

Private, William Herbert Shuck, 18017, 6TH KSLI, killed-in-Action BATTLE OF GUILLEMONT 5th September 1916, Age 19, born Walsall, Staffordshire,

Phil

Not wishing to steal Sue's thunder, it is her thread, I'll just post a pic of Albert from the Pioneer which Sue may not have

If Sue does not return soon, PM me and I'll add a bit more,

post-10072-0-03536000-1373180269_thumb.j

Regards,

Graeme

PS You wouldn't have access to the KSLI War Diaries, by any chance, would you ??

Phil

Not come back yet so here is his bio

Albert was the son of Thomas and Ellen (nee Degville) Booker of 8 Court, 2 House, Stafford Street, Walsall and later of 42, Green Lane, Walsall, his father being employed as a brass dresser. Ellen predeceased her son on Sunday 14 February 1897 followed by Thomas on Wednesday 20 September 1905.

Employed as a polisher by Matthew Harvey and Company Limited of Bath Street, Walsall, he enlisted in the Army at Darlaston during April 1915.

Albert married Ellen Kelly at Walsall in September 1915 and had two children residing in Hill Street, Walsall.

He was killed on his battalion’s first day in action during the Battle of Somme in The Battle of Bazentin Ridge when his battalion attacked the German front and supporting trenches running between Longueval and Bazentin-le-Grand Wood at 3.30am. Together with the 8th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment, the battalion led the attack with the 1st Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers in support and 2nd Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers in reserve.

The German wire, about 600 yards front the German front line trench, was found to be uncut and held up the advance. Not a single man from the leading waves made it through the wire and a retirement was made.

At 11am the battalions made a second assault on the wire and managed to cut through the wire. The trenches were taken and held against 5 counter attacks until Thursday 20 July 1916 when they were relieved by the 1st Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Casualties were 8 officers killed and 6 officers wounded with 163 other ranks being killed and 294 wounded.

The War Diary records,

“13 July 1916 - Carnoy

Strength of 7th K.S.L.I. officers 34, other ranks 993. The advance by night towards enemy trenches. We were in 4 waves at 30 yards interval. The first wave at 2.30am on 14th was 100 yards from German trenches lying flat awaiting final orders. In front of the 1st wave were the battalion scouts.

14 July 1916 - 3.30am. Battalion advanced towards German trenches and were held by German barbed wire. Remainder leaped into shell holes and consolidated along road 200 yards from German trench. 11am we were informed the 2nd Royal Scots were bombing along German trenches on our left which had been taken. At 12pm battalion again charged and captured both 1st and 2nd trenches and also 250 prisoners.

When all battalion were collected and consolidating German 2nd trench we found 5 officers were untouched, the remainder were wounded or killed, the losses in the ranks were found to be heavy.

Losses:- Officers 7 killed and 5 wounded. Other ranks 147 killed, 278 wounded (16 of which subsequently died), 16 missing.”

Albert was 25 years old. He is listed as missing and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial on Pier and Face 12A and 12D.

Theres nothing on SHUCK as, although from Walsall, he seems to have spent most of his life in Hereford.

Other than the obvious conection, are you interested in Walsall men ???

Regards,

Graeme

Cheers Graeme

good bit of info and well put together, no not herd from Sue, so will take what you have given, but if she does get back with possible obits all the merrier, regarding Walsall lads only interested if thet served with the Shropshire L.I.,

CHEERS Mate

Phil

hello Sue,would your research include wednesbury men ? my GGF was wounded in 1918 south staffs regiment Harry BILLS.if not,what paper would I need to be looking at for his mention if at all of him being wounded.thankyou

Jacktar,

Again really Sue's thread but I can tell you he is not in the Observer or the Pioneer.

I dont really know what paper covered Wednesbury, possibly the Express and Star.

Regards,

Graeme

Hello i am new too this forum. If possiblle i would appreciate anything you may have on my Great Great Uncle

George SOMERFIELD No G/9669 6th Battalion Queens Own Royal West Kent Regt.

KIA 30/01/17 in Arras area. He was a Walsall man. i was born there myself.

He is buried at Faubourg D'Amiens cemetry Arras plot II.C.28

My nan is the last of 14 children. 94 years of age and born 2 years after her Uncle George was lost, being her Dads brother. Nan sadly lost her twin Leonard at Dunkirk in WW2

Thank you and regards. John

Hi

George's service record survives on Ancestry !!!

George was born in Walsall to William and Catherine (nee Norton) Somerfield of 22, Orlando Street, Walsall his father, who predeceased him in 1903, being a hame maker. Following William’s death the family resided at 6, Newland Street, Walsall.

He enlisted in the Army at Darlaston on Monday 23 August 1915 at that time employed locally as a metal worker.

Serving in the 3rd Battalion in the regiment, George transferred to the 6th Battalion on Thursday 24 February 1916, the day he was drafted to France. He was killed during the Battle of Arras at 27 years of age.

In mid January George’s battalion took over the line in the suburbs of Arras, extending southwards from the Scarpe on the left to the Arras-St. Quentin road. The German trenches were between 200 yards away and, at Blangy, as near as 20 yards.

On the morning of his death, just prior to being relieved, the Germans engaged their trench mortars to bombard the battalion’s lines.

The War Diary records,

"30 January 1917 - Relieved in trenches by 7th East Surrey Regiment. Relief complete 11am.

Enemy heavy trench mortars active about the supports and communication trenches of right company just before relief. Casualties one man killed, 3 other ranks wounded including 1 at duty.”

Heres pictures of George and his brother James from the Pioneer

post-10072-0-97955700-1373693341_thumb.j post-10072-0-28815300-1373693371_thumb.j post-10072-0-71552100-1373693354_thumb.j

Who was the relative killed at Dunkirk ??

Do you have any better family photos at all ??

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme

I have never seen a photo of George or his brother James. I know my Nan has not. Very sad and humbling reading about George's death. I had no idea about details. other then the date, and could not find any information. I take it he was the fatality of the Mortar bombardment, and on the morning of being relieved, thats terrible. I wonder if he was on duty or stood down. This has made my day and will mean a lot too my family. I would love better photos of George & James who i know very little about. I will see what i can do with what you have posted. I did not know James was in the Army. I take it the 2 photos are of James but in different regts. I did check tonight and found James was west kent & south Wales borderers, not middlesex regt. Unless the second photo is of a different man but they look the same. I wonder if James survived. I dont know if their medals have been claimed, i would imagine so. I hope too visit Arras next year, ironically i visited years a go, but had no knowledge of George until last year. I have a photo off his grave in Arras.

Thank you so much for your help.it means a lot. My dad was Army for 28 years.

My Nan's twin Leonard Somerfield dob 23/04/19 died 02/06/40. He was a driver i believe in RASC. He was apparently seen going over the side of a bombed ship at Dunkirk, sadly he could not swim. He is commemorated at Dunkirk.

Thanks again very much appreciated

Regards John

Morning John,

Glad to help.

The picture of James in the Middlesex Regiment has worried me. I, too, agree that he looks like the other picture but can find no mention of him serving in the Middlesex Regiment. Sometime the newspapers got it wrong and this must be one of those occasions. The badge he has on his cap looks like West Kents more than Middlesex Regiment.

IF James's regimental number was 45281, he enlisted on 8 September 1914, was wounded in 1916 at some stage, and was discharged from the Army on 2 April 1919 (just before Leonard's birth). His Silver War badge is number B160604.

Regarding Leonard, I have very little on him. He was a driver attached to H.Q. I Corpsand was reported as missing.

Would you have a photograph of him, please, to add to my research ??

Also, to update my research, can I ask your Nans christian name if you do not mind.

Regards,

Graeme

Morning Graeme

Sadly my Nan has 1 picture of Leonard when he was about 14. She lives in Walsall, i live in Sussex. Her name is Evelyn Wilkinson nee Somerfield. From what i have found on Kent Fallen ( which also has those that survived) there is a James Somerfield (entry 35602) directly under Georges name ( entry 35601) .

James details (1) pvt 25258 West kent rgt (2) pvt 45278 S Wales borderers. Seems like he switched regiment at some stage.

Not sure about these details, i cannot find him on ancestry, and dont know if the details you have is the correct person or otherwise.

All in all fascinating for me, finding their was another great great uncle who served in WW1.

Regards

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I am sorry that I have not been keeping up with this thread but it seems that Graeme is doing a valiant job. If there are any outstanding queries from anyone perhaps you could let me know. If Graeme has already replied to them with details regarding the Walsall Pioneer or Walsall Observer then it is unlikely that I will have anything to add. Thanks for your patience. Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Morning Sue,

As previously stated, I hope you don't mind me 'butting in' with some replies.

I am aware that this is your thread and wait some time before I reply to see if you answer. Now I am retired I check the Forum daily and often see the requests before you. I hope I am not treading on your toes, I have no wish to do this.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme. You are not treating on my toes at all. I am happy for you to carry on as before. Having re-read my last post I could see that you might have thought that there was a hint of sarcasm but that was not my intention. and besides that I could'nt be that subtle. I am very much a tell it like it is kind of person. The Forum is about helping one another and that is what we are both trying to do. So keep up the good work. Regards Sue

Hi Sue,

you are making me feel bad now. I did not read that into your answer at all, I'm just acutely aware this is your thread.

I'll carry on as before if anyone wants any other help then.

BTW Ive tried handing my work over to the Council for FREE considering next year and its like banging your head against a brick wall !!!!

Regards,

Graeme

• 1 month later...

Hi Sue

Do you have any info on Sgt. 8933 John Horton, 2nd Bn. Worcestershire Regiment. He was KiA 16th May 1915 and had lived in Walsall.

Regards

Peter

Peter

can I ask what your interest is ??

I have this on him

Born in Rushall, John was the son of William and Emma (nee Jones) Horton of 58, James Street, Rushall and later of 10, Mary Street, Walsall and 12, Ann Street, Walsall, his father being a coal miner. His mother predeceased him in early 1915.

John had served ten years service in the Army having enlisted at Worcester on Saturday 19 November 1904, at that time employed as a caster at Chamberlin and Hill Limited, Chuckery.

He was drafted to India on Tuesday 2 February 1909 and did not return to England until Thursday 6 March 1913. He was promoted to Sergeant on Sunday 1 March 1914 and drafted to France on Wednesday 12 August 1914. Wounded in the back at some stage, John was returned to England on Thursday 29 October 1914 for treatment.

Following treatment at the 1st Scottish General Hospital he rejoined his battalion on Thursday 22 April 1915 and was killed shortly afterwards during a night attack.

At 11.30pm on Saturday 15 May 1915 his battalion advanced from their positions at Richebourg-St. Vaast with “B” and “D” Companies leading. Heavy casualties were taken as the men crossed No Man’s Land, the attack failing with casualties of 251 men being taken.

John has no known grave and is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial on Panel 17 and 18. He was 30 years of age.

post-10072-0-02933700-1380795783_thumb.j

Regards,

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graeme and Sue,

Sorry for this late reply to your posting(s).

Graeme I'm researching all 1914 Star men of the 2nd Worcesters. Many thanks for photo and info much appreciated.

Sue thanks for additional info on newspaper and date.

Kind regards

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Sue

Do you have any information on a James Edward Krauth, Gunner 1675, RFA. Born Walsall 10/02/1884. 1891 residence was 142 Mouse Hill, Pelsall, 1901 residence was 53 Church Street, Walsall, but seems to have left the area after that. Enlisted 31/08/1914 and discharged 09/02/1917. He was my great grandfather.

Regards

Sean