Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Hi

I've just been given the task of typing out the names of Bloxwich's war dead - which is read out at the war memorial on Remembrance day, but I'm wondering how up to date it is as it does not have some names found on Elmore Green's school plaque ( a stones throw from All Saints Bloxwich) and referenced in Wayman and Crutcjley's book Sorrow into Pride.

Do you have a definitive list, or know where ther is one so I can get it updated for the Centenary Remembrance Day?

Thanks in anticipation

George

Does anyone have any more info on Private Joseph Sanders 16635. I know that he was a miner at Holly Bank Colliery living at 23 Alfred Street, married with 2 children when he enlisted in the 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment in Feb 1915.

Also he is named on the Thiepval Memorial, Pier & Face 7B.

The war diary suggests that some divisions of the regiment were in Deville Wood, which I assume is where Joseph died.

Any photos or information will be appreciated as I'm planning a trip there later in the year.

Thanks

George

George

I am not on my computer at the moment so cannot answer directly.

I have spent over 20 years researching the Walsall and district rolls of honour and have covered all the local ones us Walsall, Bloxwich, Aldridge, Brownhills, Burntwood, Pelsall, Norton Canes, Shelfield, Little Aston, Shenstone, Cheslyn Hay, Willenhall, Portobello etc etc etc. (WW1, WW2 and post war)

On each of the rolls I have found numerous men who should (in my view) be on the roll but are not. For example, taking the Walsall roll I have found 367 extra names and a further 76 men who died as a direct result of their service.

I can tell you the Bloxwich roll of honour is held at Essex Street Local History Centre and can be viewed there.

Is Sanders a relative ?

Regards,

Graeme

Morning

Bloxwich RoH

post-10072-0-10733200-1401779880_thumb.j

Sanders

post-10072-0-76879100-1401779895_thumb.j

Born in Bloxwich, Joseph was the son of George and Fanny (nee Beech) Sanders of 23 and later 19, Albert Street, Bloxwich, his father being a coal miner.

A miner at the Hollybank Colliery, Joseph married Maud Worrall at Walsall in 1910 and then resided at 2 House, 4 Court, Alfred Street, Bloxwich and later at 23, Alfred Street, Bloxwich with his wife and two children, Lillian and Leonard.

Joseph enlisted in the Army at Walsall during February 1915 and was drafted to France on Friday 12 March 1915. He was killed in action during the Somme Offensive whilst in trenches at Delville Wood.

On the night of Thursday 27 July 1916 his battalion relieved a unit of Royal Fusiliers in the trenches and were subjected to persistent shellfire as they did so. On the following day the battalion again came under a heavy artillery bombardment followed by a German attack at 9.30pm that was repulsed. The battalion remained in the trenches, suffering artillery bombardment, until relieved at 10.30pm on the day of Joseph’s death by the 13th Battalion, Essex Regiment. By this time over half of the battalion were casualties with 47 being killed, 196 wounded, 41 missing and 21 shell shocked.

The War Diary records the day thus,

28 July 1916 - The 99th Brigade was withdrawn from Delville Wood in the early hours of the morning. The battalion was disposed as follows - “A” Company was in the front line near the northern edge of the wood, “B” Company was in support, “C” Company forming a defensive flank facing west and “D” Company was in Battalion Reserve. The whole wood was kept under incessant hostile shell fire and our losses were somewhat heavy.

About 9pm, the Germans attempted a counter attack accompanied by very heavy shelling of our support line and the southern edge of the wood. Bombing patrols approached our lines but were easily beaten back and the whole of our original positions held. Arrangements were made to counter-attack in case the enemy penetrated the wood.

During the bombardment, part of the line held by “B” Company was practically obliterated by heavy shells. All the officers were killed and most of the men buried. In spite of this they stuck to their position. Part of “C” Company’s line was also shelled heavily. Most of the fire came from a heavy battery in the direction of Ginchy which completely enfiladed our support line. The battalion held on under great difficulties in the matter of supplies and water which had to be taken up to the companies through a very heavy barrage.

29 July 1916 - The Commanding Officer drew up a scheme for holding Delville Wood with 1 Battalion and machine guns supported by another battalion some little distance in the rear.

In the evening, the battalion and the 17th Middlesex Regiment were relieved by the 13th Essex Regiment who took over the line with the 1st King's Regiment in support. The relief was completed by about 10.30 pm and the battalion went back to the position previously occupied in the old German Support Line, just north of Carnoy. The south edge of the wood was again heavily barraged just as “A” Company withdrew and the route back was also shelled.

During our 2 days in Delville Wood the battalion suffered the following casualties:-

Killed: Captain W.E. Wansbrough, Captain W. Lake, Lieutenant J.L. Malpass, 2nd Lt. S.B. Thornton, 2nd Lt. E.L. Holdcroft and 42 other ranks. Died of wounds: Captain C. Dutton. Wounded: 196 other ranks, suffering from shell shock: 21 other ranks, missing: 46 other ranks.”

Joseph has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial on Pier and Face 7B, on the Walsall and Bloxwich rolls of honour and on the roll of honour at All Saints Church, Bloxwich. He was 26 years of age.

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks graeme that's added to my information. I'll get in touch with Essex street and check their list eith the one I'vd been given. Additional thanks to the roll of honour.

Joseph Sanders is my wife's great uncle.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Yes thanks - most helpful

Hi Sue,

Do you have any information on Frank Joseph Lycett? Place of birth was Walsall, Staffordshire England. He served with the Royal Canadian Regiment and was killed in action on the 7 March 1916.

Thank you in advance,

J. Carl

Hi Carl. I have checked the Walsall Observer, Walsall Pioneer and Walsall and District Roll of the Great War but nothing for your man. Sorry. Good luck with your research. Sue

Hi Sue / Graeme

Do yo have anything on Thomas Aston born around 1890/1900

I can find two people one a private in the warwickshire reg 34799y died 11/4/18 buried at Harlebeke New British Cemetar the other in the sherwood foresters 367335 died 29/4/17 buried at La Chapetette Peronne

I'm trying to see if either is an ancester. Thomas's dad was also named Thomas, and his mom was Elizabeth careless.much appreciated

Thanks

George

Sorry George. There is nothing for Thomas Aston in either the Walsall Observer or the Walsall Pioneer index. Good luck with your research. Sue

Sue/Graeme this is a long shot. Do you have any contacts or know of anyway i could find out further information on a WW2 Walsall casualty. My nan who is 95 lost her twin Leonard at Dunkirk. She only has 1 photo of him aged about 15/16. I was wondering if there would have been WW2 casualty photographs in the local papers. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

John,

I cannot recall if we communicated about this previously or not.

As above, I am on my hols at the moment, if you PM me the details I will have a look when in a I return in a week, I have researched all the W W 2 men and women.

This said, the W W 2 photos in the papers are absolutely abysmal and not really worth seeing. I Have added very few to my research due to the poor reproduction.

I would be interested in a copy of the photo that you already have if you are willing to provide a copy,

Regards

Graeme

Hi Graeme

Many Thanks!

Hope this worked. I don't know how too attach an image too a pm. Please feel free too remove from here, once you have copied.

Leonard Somerfield taken circa 1935

post-100413-0-10334600-1404079200_thumb.

Regards

John

Hello John, I have checked my index to the Walsall Observer Second World War and there is only one Somerfield, James Somerfield of Pleck Road. Hope Graeme can help and good luck with your research. Kind regards Sue

Morning John

As I feared, I have nothing more than what I sent you some time ago and certainly no picture in the newspapers.

I think you said he was killed when drowned, this link will give you a list of the naval 'goings on' this date but as he was RASC I think it will be difficult to narrow it down.

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKWW2-4006-19JUN01.htm

A question on ww2Talk.com may elicit a reply as there is an expert (Andy {Drew}) on there on the 1940s. He has all the War Diaries for this period.

Sorry I cannot be more help

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

Shows you my memory is not what is was. I have not been on that site in ages, and this was looked into back in 2011, by Andy. Also you have made comments on the thread i created back then....duh me! :-)

• 5 weeks later...

I put my GG Uncle Georges name forward for the "roll of honour" for the Tower of Londons (blood swept lands and seas of red) poppies commemoration. Delighted too say i got this reply back.

We have received your nomination for the Roll of Honour, and are delighted to confirm your entry has been accepted for the reading ceremony at the Launch Event on the 5th of August.

Thank you so much for your support with the Tower of London Remembers Project.

Sadly it appears this particular reading ceremony, is not open too the public. I am very disappointed and seeking clarification. If his name is read just on that day. However this is an Honour for George, and in that respect i am delighted.

Guest Seanfleming

Glad to find record for George Fleming MM he was my Great Grandfathers only brother, I have been looking for info on him for some time, couldn't believe I found so much, and that he had the Military Medal. Many Thanks

Hi Sean

I have researched George and can tell you another Forum member is related to him.

What info are you seeking and do you, by any chance, have any family photos,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Sue,

Do you have any information on Frank Joseph Lycett? Place of birth was Walsall, Staffordshire England. He served with the Royal Canadian Regiment and was killed in action on the 7 March 1916.

Thank you in advance,

J. Carl

I can provide the following on Frank Lycett:

402564 Francis Joseph Lycett

• TOS; 402564; 1915-10-08 ; Pte; A; Taken on strength of The RCR and posted to A Coy.
  • Coy ID (from stoppages list); 402564; 1915-10-26 ; Pte; A;
  • Punishment; 402564; 1915-11-01 ; Pte; A Coy; Detention; 120 hours; Breaking out of Camp, etc.;
  • Strength; 402564; 1916-03-07 ; Pte; Killed in Action. (G.S.W. Head)

rcr_gw_cem006_PB_lycett.jpg

rcr_gw_cem006_PB_lycett2.jpg