Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

• 3 months later...

Sorry Peter, For some reason I did not see your post. There is no one called Peter Small in the Walsall Observer index. Regards Sue

• 4 months later...

I recently had a request from my Bloxwich Remembers site to add some more names -

Cyril John Ball 10.8.1899 Born 56 Field Road Bloxwich served in Royal Navy as an Electrical Artificer lived in Harrison Street then Blakenall Lane then Ingram Road 

John Ethelstone born 10.12.1892 lived at 7 Blakenall Lane (Brother in law to Grandad ) Served in Royal Army Medical corps  service number 34605 also lived at 49 Harrison Street

Thomas Dolman born 11.1.1893 Dawson Street Blakenall Served in 2nd Suffolk regiment service number 44534 also lived at 8 Marlborough Street and 247 Broad lane Bloxwich and 46 Clarendon Street and 16 Penderel Street 

Norman Fred Knapton born 27.8.1889 Foster Street Blakenall Served in The Scots Guards service number 18185 Also lived in Goscote Lane.

It is Norman Knapton I'm struggling with.  The iwm site does not have him on his service number or name.  I got back in touch with the person requesting the addition and she sent me a copy of his war doc, which both show that the number is right and his name is spelt correctly.

Any information on Norman will be useful, particularly anyhing that can link to his IWM great Lives record.  All information on the other me will be of interest to the lady visiting my web site

Thanks

George

Hello George, Your best source of information is likely to be the local newspapers. The Walsall Observer for the period of the war years is now on-line on Find My Past so perhaps the lady concerned might be interested in that line of enquiry. In relation to Norman Knapton there are pension records for him on both Find My Past and Ancestry. You may need to study them to see whether he served with another regiment, a different number, a different name or perhaps he was not entitled to any medals. Regards Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Sue,  I did look at your excellent index to ww1 servicemdn mentioned in the Walsall newspapers without success. 

George

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2013 at 07:58, GraemeClarke said:

Phil

Not wishing to steal Sue's thunder, it is her thread, I'll just post a pic of Albert from the Pioneer which Sue may not have

If Sue does not return soon, PM me and I'll add a bit more,

booker e 4 a.jpg

Regards,

Graeme

PS You wouldn't have access to the KSLI War Diaries, by any chance, would you ??

Hi Graeme

Would you mind if I use Pte. Brooker's photo on my Facebook page, also I see from a post back in 2006 you posted a list of Walsall men on my thread-did I ever follow up on that ???? was your list men who were mentioned in the papers or their photos ?

Regards

Annette

Morning Annette,

Absolutely no problem using the photos.

2006, hmm, I think Ive had a sleep since then !!

I am sure you did follow it up. If you post the list again I'll see if I have pictures for you.

Or better still, PM me the list with your e-mail address and Ill send any pics.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

14 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Morning Annette,

Absolutely no problem using the photos.

2006, hmm, I think Ive had a sleep since then !!

I am sure you did follow it up. If you post the list again I'll see if I have pictures for you.

Or better still, PM me the list with your e-mail address and Ill send any pics.

Regards,

Graeme

Many thanks Graeme, and re my list of Walsall lads -if you do not mind could I PM you near the time each man died-I am still bad at checking my email box and one or attachments fill it up so it would take ages to many. Again thanks I am most grateful for helping to keep their memory.

Hi Annette,

No problem. 

I am moving very soon  (21st) and will not have broadband for a month (new house) so do not worry if you do not see a reply to a posting immediately,

Regards,

Graeme

• 3 months later...
On 18/11/2007 at 16:32, Sue S said:

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

Joseph henry Davies Walsall died may 11 th in France 1918

Just now, Jilly said:

On 18/11/2007 at 16:32, Sue S said:

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

Morning Jilly,

As outlined in your previous threads, there were no pictures of this man in the local newspapers,

Regards,

Graeme

• 2 months later...

Good evening all. This is by way of an update. The Walsall Observer for the duration of the war and the Walsall Advertiser for 1914 and 15 are now on Find My Past but in many cases their indexing system does not pick up the names under the photographs so if you do not find someone that you are looking for please don't assume he is not there. Regards Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm that Alfred Argyle came from either Bloxwich, Blakenall or Leamore, all I have at the moment is a name from the Bloxwich parish magazine in June 1916.  I have found a Gunner Alfred Argyle Service# 77574 in the Royal Garrison Artillery in the IW|M lives of the great war - 

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/655839)

Hope you can help

George

Can anyone confirm that any of the following came from either Bloxwich, Blakenall or Leamore, all I have at the moment is a names from the Bloxwich parish magazine.  I need the information to update my web page http://bloxwichteam.wixsite.com/bloxwich-remembers/ww1-enlists

I have found a Private Arthur Arms Service# 200315 in the South Staffordshire Regiment in the IW|M lives of the great war - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/63540

Also Harold Athersmith Air Force (RAF/RFC), Service #166309

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/6787870

Also Isaac Athersmith Soldier Number: 29802, Private in the 2nd Royal Canadian Regiment

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/90366

Also Levi Athersmith Soldier Number: 7690, Lance Corporal/Sergeant, in the 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/90373

Thanks

George

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sue

I hope you can help. My Great Grandfather, Benjamin Preston was born in Walsall in 1883. He was killed at Paschendael attacking Borry farm pill box with the 8th Batalion the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. He must have re enlisted with them because the only photo we have of him is in Leicester regiment uniform. I know ex regulars were often sent to Irish regiments after the easter rising, to "stiffen them."

I'm keen to find out anything about him and also his wife who also died in the war. i don't even know her name or how she died. They left two orphans, my Grandmother Annie and my great Uncle Arthur. They were so young then and now both deceased so the information is very sketchy. My Grandmother only found out she had an older brother when Arthur turned up on her doorstep after serving in Egypt and India with the 21st Lancers.

38 minutes ago, John R-B said:

Hi Sue

I hope you can help. My Great Grandfather, Benjamin Preston was born in Walsall in 1883. He was killed at Paschendael attacking Borry farm pill box with the 8th Batalion the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. He must have re enlisted with them because the only photo we have of him is in Leicester regiment uniform. I know ex regulars were often sent to Irish regiments after the easter rising, to "stiffen them."

I'm keen to find out anything about him and also his wife who also died in the war. i don't even know her name or how she died. They left two orphans, my Grandmother Annie and my great Uncle Arthur. They were so young then and now both deceased so the information is very sketchy. My Grandmother only found out she had an older brother when Arthur turned up on her doorstep after serving in Egypt and India with the 21st Lancers.

He had 14 months qualifying service in respect of his war gratuity when he died. His wife was Florence, she was alive until at least Nov 1919 as that is when a payment of the war gratuity was made to her.

I can see a few questions which are going to come up regarding his service so you may be best opening a separate post so that it can be replied to there.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

• 3 weeks later...

Hello John, A photograph of your great grandfather appears in the Walsall Observer 29-9-1917 and in the Walsall Pioneer on the same date. The Walsall Observer for the period is online at Find My Past. Good luck with your research. Regards Sue

• 3 months later...

Hi Peter,

Nothing in the local papers as, although born in Walsall, he enlisted in Dudley so possibly resided there.

Not on any local war memorials,

Regards,

Graeme

• 4 months later...

Hi Sue

This may well be a long shot but I have recently acquired a gold pocket watch presented to Lance Corporal Richard

Lionel Mountford, 242031, 1/6th South Staffs.

He was born in Walsall circa 1885 although by 1911 was living in Wolverhampton at 55 Dartmouth Street.

He was awarded a Military Medal for a trench raid which took place on the 28th August 1917.

The award was gazetted on the 2nd of November 1917.

The watch is dated February 9th 1919. I am assuming this is the date of the presentation.

If there is a mention or better still a picture of Richard that would be great.

Thanks

Chris

• 6 months later...
On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2007 at 10:00, bmac said:

Colstreamer

Various Coldstream Guards from the Walsall Roll. First 100 pages checked will do the remaining 100 pages asap.

I have put in some ?? where the information may be incorrect.

Guardsman H Birch

55, New Street, Shelfield

Joined 11th December 15

Discharged 12th April 19

Victory Medals

Served at Caterham for 3 months then transferred to Irish Guards, Warley Barracks, Brentford (??), Essex.

Cpl C E Humphries

3rd Coldstream Guards

Joined 21st Sept 14

Discharged 18th Dec 18

General Service and Victory Medals

One wound stripe

Served in France from 19th April 15 until 19th Nov 15

Came home for operation and back to France Sept 16

Wounded in arm and back on Somme Sept 17 (??)

At base until Jan 18 when back to front line

Returned home with poisoned foot

Discharged from Windsor Barracks

Address: Mill Green, Aldridge

Guardsman T Wood

Joined Dec 14

Discharged Jan 19

1915 Star, General Service and Victory Medals

To France Sept 15, saw action on SOmme, Ypres, Loos, Arras and Bourlon Wood where he was gassed and sent to Base Hospital

Returned to front on recovery

Address: Friezland Lane, Brownhills

Pte W Bentley

2nd Coldstreams

Joined Oct 14

Holds 14 Star, General Service and Victory Medals

To France April 15, saw action at Ypres, Arras and Bapaume (??). Received gun shot wounds to the thigh on the SOmme which fractured femur. Died at No. 5 Hospital, Rouen, Sept 16

Address: Lindon Road, Brownhills

Pte G Stokes

Joined May 18

Discharged Dec 18

Enlisted at Walsall sent to Lichfield then Caterham.

Engaged on home service

Address: Coppice Side, Brownhills

Pte J Mellor

Joined Apr 18

Discharged Dec 18 (Aldershot)

Enlisted at Walsall, to Caterham then Windsor

Home service

Address: Allbutts Road, Brownhills

Pte S Moorcroft

Joined 24th April 18

Discharged 14th Dec 18

Caterham and Windsor

Address: 56, Parker Street, Bloxwich

Guardsman B Cotterill

Joined Apr 18

Discharged Dec 18

Caterham and Windsor

Sent back as miner to work in pits

Address: High Street, Brownhills

L/Cpl J Wright

Joined 4th Sept 14

Discharged 22nd Mar 19

14-15 Star, General Service and Victory Medal

One wound stripe

Trained at Caterham and Windsor

Saw service in France, Belgium and Germany - Hinges, Givenchy, Brickfields La Vinchy (Cuinchy?) where wounded invalided home for 4 months.

Back for Loos, Somme, Ypres, Cambrai, Bullecourt, Arras, Marburg and Occupation Army

Address: High Street, Chasetown

Guardsman A Hackett

Joined 3rd Apr 18

Discharged 4th MAr 19

General Service and Victory Medals

Caterham, to France and wounded at Mulberg (??) 4th Nov 18. To hospital at Saffron Walden

Address: 21 Gaia Lane, Lichfield.

Sapper J Houlston

Coldstreams and RE

Joined 09

14-15 Star, General Service and Victory Medals

AT Mons with Guards then 1st Ypres, Festubert and Givenchy

Worked on first experimental mine and tunnelled under German lines at Brickfields, Cuinchy.

Address: Muckley Corner, Lichfield.

Pte D Cashmore

Joined Dec 14

14-15 Medal, General Service and Victory Medals

At Loos, Ypres, Somme, Cambrai (??) Reported missing Apr 17 and officially notified kia, place unknown, Mar 18

Address: 9, Four Oaks Commoon Road, Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield

Pte F Proffitt

Joined Sept 14

Discharged 1st July 17

14-15 Star, General Service and Victory Medals

One wound stripe

Brickfields, Givenchy, La Bassee, Festubert, Vermelles, Cambrian (??). Armentieres. Bomb wound at Cambrian (??) losing right eye. Invalided home and discharged.

Address; high Street, Chasetown

Guardsman O Upton

Joined 2nd May 17

Discharged Dec 19

Lichfield, Caterham, Garrison duty at Windsor Castle

Address: 11 John Street, Chadsmoor, Cannock

Guardsman C J Darby

Joined 1st May 18

Victory Medal

Trained at Grantham for 6 months

Transferred to Machine Gun Guards (?) to Caterham and Pirbright as gunner

Transferred to Colstreams and on reserve until 1929