Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

In your 2007 e-mail you said yo have compiled a list from the observer. I am trying to get information on my uncle John Edward Smith who lived in Ogley Hay, Brownhills. Is it possible to view this list or do you need to do the looking up?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, There is not an entry for John Edward Smith in Ogley Hay but there is a John Smith listed without an address saying that he was presumed killed. The index is available in a book called Walsall Servicemen 1914-1918 A Guide to Research which you should be able to get from a library. Good luck. Sue

Hi Sue

Could you look up private John Edward Saunders of the South Staffs regiment who lived in Walsall and joined up in the town in Aug 1914

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian. There is an Edward Saunders of Miner Street who is reported to be a POW 6-3-1915 but no John Edward. Good luck with your research. Sue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

Hello Sue S., I've just joined this website and this is my first forum email. I'm looking for a photograph of Arthur Ernest Regent who was a soldier in the Royal Scots 12 Battalion who died on 15 October 1917 in WW1 and is buried at Wimereux. He is distantly related by marriage to my family, and I've been researching and writing up his own family of origin, the MacKeands many of whom were in the theatre. It would be helpful if you know of an obituary for Ernest. I have quite a lot of info about his theatrical career, but know very little of how he actually met his death. I assume he died in the 3rd battle of Ypres, probably during the 12 October action at Passchendaele. I'm unused to forums so I hope I'm not being a nuisance by writing all this detail. Thank you and best wishes.

Hi and welcome to the Forum. You are not being a nuisance and you will soon get a feel for how the forum works but as a general rule detail is good. You will find people on here who have the most amazing knowledge and are willing to share it. The person who knows the most about Walsall men who lost their lives is Graeme Clarke. Ernest Regent appears in the Wasall Observer 20-10-1917 and the Walsall Pioneer 27-10-1917. You could request the copies from Walsall Local History Centre but I would suggest that Graeme will have all of that information for you and possibly more besides. You may also be able to tell him family stuff about Ernest that he does'nt know.

I will send Graeme a personal message asking him to look at this post and reply to you. Give him a few weeks because he is a busy chap but he will get back to you. Kind regards and good luck with your research. Sue

Thanks Sue S for your reply, especially for the dates of the two newspapers. I'd already been in touch with the Walsall Local History Centre and left a message for Graeme, (as a result of finding Ernest Regent on Pierre Vandervelden's site), and I gather he is to get back to me when he has time. It's kind of you to also contact him on my behalf.

I must say that I had difficulty finding your response to my query - in fact I couldn't find my own post at first! There are lots of things to click on this website and I don't have a clue how to navigate. I've just clicked Report, MultiQuote and Quote but I don't know what on earth they mean. However, I'm replying to you, so I think I'll manage. Technology is ultimately enabling - but oh my - learning it is a pain!

Thanks and best wishes, Joan

Hi and welcome to the Forum. You are not being a nuisance and you will soon get a feel for how the forum works but as a general rule detail is good. You will find people on here who have the most amazing knowledge and are willing to share it. The person who knows the most about Walsall men who lost their lives is Graeme Clarke. Ernest Regent appears in the Wasall Observer 20-10-1917 and the Walsall Pioneer 27-10-1917. You could request the copies from Walsall Local History Centre but I would suggest that Graeme will have all of that information for you and possibly more besides. You may also be able to tell him family stuff about Ernest that he does'nt know.

I will send Graeme a personal message asking him to look at this post and reply to you. Give him a few weeks because he is a busy chap but he will get back to you. Kind regards and good luck with your research. Sue

Hello Joan. You just need to click on your name in the top right hand corner and then select content. All of your posts will come up. Regards Sue

Guest 6850 Pte Joseph Badland

Hi Sue

do you have any information about 6850 Pte Joseph Badland of 2nd Bn South Staffordshires, who died on 23rd October 1914? His address was 63 Spout Lane, Caldmore, Walsall.

Many thanks

Richard

Richard

I have loads on him but am on holiday at the moment for a few, more days. I even worked with a relative of his !!!

PM me with what you know to save duplicating with your e-mail address and I'll send you what I have.

Do you have a photo of him at all, I have the one, from the newspapers.

What is, your interest in him,?

Regards

Graeme

Richard

Is your avatars his pic? If so would be grateful for a copy, I have the one from the newspapers I can send you.

Regards

Graeme

Hi sue am looking for information on my great grandad Thomas Edward eccleston born Wolverhampton but lived in Walsall at the out break of ww1 don't no where though he was killed in action on 20th august 1918 buried in France have no pictures I live in the Wirral and everyone and everything medals etc have long gone his service number is 27655 South Wales borderers I was wondering if any archives of the papers around the time or you could help point me in the right direction you're truely k moss . Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information, I've now retyped the list ready for this year's remembrance sunday, to the list I've adddd a couple of names from "Sorrow jnto Pride"a book about the Elmore Green School Memorial, which Grahame had some input to, I think.

if you want the list please let me know.

I noticed from typing the list that there are 3 other sanders, john, george and herbert, do you have any info on these so I can see if they are related to joseph, and thence to us.

Thanks again for your help.

George

Morning

Would be interested to see the list, will PM you my e-mail address.

As far as I can see there is no connection, but who is George, I do not have a George Sanders ??

RoH below

post-10072-0-83064000-1414127918_thumb.j

Regards,

Graeme

• 4 weeks later...

Sue

I am researching my wife's great uncle Joseph Fisher who was originally from Darlaston he joined the South Staffs Regiment and was given number 29279 he was then transferred to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers given number 30390. He died on 11 October 1918 he was 20 years old he was not married. We do have a letter written by the chaplain of the 3rd Canadian Clearing Station notifying of his death. I am trying to find out as much as possible on him and wondered whether he had been in the local papers especially the Walsall Observer.

Any help would be great.

John Colclough

Hi John

Being from Darlaston, I am sorry to say that his picture is not in the Observer or the Pioneer.

As you know Terry has him on his marvellous 'Darlaston Remembers' website.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi John

Being from Darlaston, I am sorry to say that his picture is not in the Observer or the Pioneer.

As you know Terry has him on his marvellous 'Darlaston Remembers' website.

Regards,

Graeme

Thank you Graeme, where would I go to get further detail i.e when he joined up at Lichfield and moved from the South Staffs to the Fusiliers and what was happening when he died?

John Colclough