Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Morning John

You are struggling on many issues here, which, I fear, you will not solve without his service record. I cannot trace it.

He died of wounds so, again, you cannot be sure when he was wounded without his service record.

I can tell you, however, that he probably died in either the 3rd Canadian or 18th Casualty Clearing Station at Manancourt.

He was wounded during the Battle of Cambrai, possibly as below.

At 4.20am on Tuesday 8 October 1918 massed British guns opened fire on the German lines and their counter bombardment caught Joseph's battalion.

His battalion then attacked in company of the 6th Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers and six tanks and captured the strongpoint of Marliches Farm by 7.30am. The Royal Dublins continued the attack and seized a fortified farm, however heavy shell fire later drove the battalion out. Repeated attacks to retake this farm failed, even with the assistance of two tanks.

The War Diary records,

“7 October 1918 - Battalion marched to Le Catelet and concentrated in trenches. 11pm marched to tape line.

8 October 1918 - Order of march en route to tape line “D”, “A”, “B”, “C”, H.Q., going difficult, progress slow.

At 1.30am when the head of “D” Company was about B.2.d.7.8 enemy put down a counter barrage along his front. The leading company was caught in the barrage and the column was halted and lay down, the barrage varied in intensity but did not stop until 3.30am.

Battalion formed up on the tape at 4.40am.

Zero 5.10am. Barrage opened, attacking companies closing up to it as arranged. 6am advance reached La Sabloniere and continued to Hamage Farm where a slight check occurred owing to enemy machine gun fire, these were enfiladed by pushing Lewis guns up, and the arrival of tanks at 7.05am completed the cleaning up. At about 7.30am the trenches were in possession of the battalion.

12.45pm. Orders issued to continue attack on Green Line, Battalion H.Q. and reserve company arrived forward to enemy trenches T.18.d.

1pm. Attack well on way.

4pm. O.C. “B” Company reported “strong point west of Lampe Farm established and “A”, “B” and “D” Companies re-organising in depth.”

9 October 1918 - 5.10am. Moved from H.Q. for Serain with “C” Company and barralion H.Q., only “A”, “B” and “D” Companies being brought on from Lampe Farm by Lt. Johnston, joined on to 6th Lancashire Fusiliers and mopped up Elincourt.

8.30am. A”, “B” and “D” Companies joined battalion near Elincourt Cemetery.

9.20am. Moved on in support to 6th Lancashire Fusiliers and reached V.31.c Ordered to brigade reserve and rested.”

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Graeme

Morning John

You are struggling on many issues here, which, I fear, you will not solve without his service record. I cannot trace it.

He died of wounds so, again, you cannot be sure when he was wounded without his service record.

I can tell you, however, that he probably died in either the 3rd Canadian or 18th Casualty Clearing Station at Manancourt.

He was wounded during the Battle of Cambrai, possibly as below.

At 4.20am on Tuesday 8 October 1918 massed British guns opened fire on the German lines and their counter bombardment caught Joseph's battalion.

His battalion then attacked in company of the 6th Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers and six tanks and captured the strongpoint of Marliches Farm by 7.30am. The Royal Dublins continued the attack and seized a fortified farm, however heavy shell fire later drove the battalion out. Repeated attacks to retake this farm failed, even with the assistance of two tanks.

The War Diary records,

“7 October 1918 - Battalion marched to Le Catelet and concentrated in trenches. 11pm marched to tape line.

8 October 1918 - Order of march en route to tape line “D”, “A”, “B”, “C”, H.Q., going difficult, progress slow.

At 1.30am when the head of “D” Company was about B.2.d.7.8 enemy put down a counter barrage along his front. The leading company was caught in the barrage and the column was halted and lay down, the barrage varied in intensity but did not stop until 3.30am.

Battalion formed up on the tape at 4.40am.

Zero 5.10am. Barrage opened, attacking companies closing up to it as arranged. 6am advance reached La Sabloniere and continued to Hamage Farm where a slight check occurred owing to enemy machine gun fire, these were enfiladed by pushing Lewis guns up, and the arrival of tanks at 7.05am completed the cleaning up. At about 7.30am the trenches were in possession of the battalion.

12.45pm. Orders issued to continue attack on Green Line, Battalion H.Q. and reserve company arrived forward to enemy trenches T.18.d.

1pm. Attack well on way.

4pm. O.C. “B” Company reported “strong point west of Lampe Farm established and “A”, “B” and “D” Companies re-organising in depth.”

9 October 1918 - 5.10am. Moved from H.Q. for Serain with “C” Company and barralion H.Q., only “A”, “B” and “D” Companies being brought on from Lampe Farm by Lt. Johnston, joined on to 6th Lancashire Fusiliers and mopped up Elincourt.

8.30am. A”, “B” and “D” Companies joined battalion near Elincourt Cemetery.

9.20am. Moved on in support to 6th Lancashire Fusiliers and reached V.31.c Ordered to brigade reserve and rested.”

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Graeme

Thank you Graeme very much, he did die in the 3rd Canadian Clearing Station. All the best

John

Graeme

Something new my wife's Grandmothers brother Albert Edward Gillin born 1885 probably Birmingham, service number 1112 South Staffs 1st/5th battalion, died 6 February 1917. He is buried in Warlincourt Halte, British Cemetery, Saulty. Grave IV.H.7. On the 1911 census he was living at 162 Queen Street Walsall.

Can you look to see if you have anything on him please.

Many thanks

John Colclough

Morning John

post-10072-0-37860800-1416376641_thumb.j

Albert was born in Birmingham, the son of Andrew and Mary Anne (nee Meadows) Gillin of 2 Court, 4 House, Bissell Street, Birmingham and later of 162, Queen Street, Walsall and 356, Pleck Road, Walsall, his father being a brass caster. Mary predeceased her son in 1901.

Leaving his employment at Overton and Higgins Limited of Station Street, Walsall, he enlisted in the Army during August 1915 and served for a year at the front.

Albert was wounded in the arm and leg by the explosion of a shell on Monday 5 February 1917 while in the trenches in the region of Berles-au-Bois. He was immediately taken to hospital at Saulty where he succumbed the following day.

The War Diary records,

“5 February 1917 - From 2pm to 5pm the enemy shelled Ravine. About 120 4.2 shells were sent over. One direct hit was obtained on a shelter beside “D” Company’s cookhouse inflicting casualties. Between 4pm and 5pm enemy dropped 15 medium and heavy trench mortar bombs on trench 102 (“A” Company) blowing in the trench for 10 yards. About 9.45am enemy aeroplane crossed our lines and dropped bombs in front of trench 101, between front and support lines of trench 98 and close to Battalion Headquarters. No damage.

Casualties 9608 L/Cpl. Bagley H. killed in action, 1112 Pte. Gillin A.E. wounded, 9445 Pte. Lancaster C.T. wounded, 20501 Pte. Warner W. wounded.”

Albert is buried in Warlincourt Halte British Cemetery, Saulty in Grave IV.H.7 and is commemorated on the Walsall roll of honour and roll of honour at St. John’s Church, Pleck. He was a single man of 32 years of age.

A brother, Sergeant Frederick George Gillin, served for 12 years in the 6th Dragoon Guards with regimental number 5381 and then in the Royal Engineers with regimental number 248540. He was drafted to France on Wednesday 9 September 1914 and survived the war.

Can you add anything, please, and do you have any photos ??

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

I am hopeful you can help out. My great uncle was Private Samuel Baugh who was in the South Staffs Regiment, service number 18872, and is buried in Brincourt Cemetery, France. I have seen the posts on this forum but wondered if you had more information, especially photos or newspaper entries.

Reading this forum, it seems he was a cousin to Enoch Baugh - the plot thickens!

Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks you for your help.

Regards

Ian

Thank you, Graeme. For starters, that photo is fantastic. My Mum heard all about Samuel and will be thrilled to see that. My Mum only ever saw one photo and that was mislaid when my uncles passed away.

I only have the certificates that are on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website, and the posts earlier in this thread which mention the Delville Wood battle, but nothing more, sadly. Where did you uncover the photograph?

Any other info would be splendid. I am really enjoying sharing this with my sons (who are studying the Great War at school).

Once again, thank you so much for your help.

Kind regards

Ian

Ian

I should remove your e-mail address by using the edit button - you dont want spam !!

Here is what I have. Please correct, alter or add anything you can

Pte 18872 Samuel Baugh, 1 SSR KiA 31 August 1916

Samuel was the son of Thomas and Fanny (nee Tolley) Baugh of 212, Green Lane, Walsall and later of 14, Whitehouse Street, Walsall, his father being a puddler in an iron works.

He was educated at St. Peter’s School and then took employment as a socket striker at Whites Cupola Works, Darlaston.

Enlisting in the Army at Wednesbury in May 1915, Samuel was drafted to France in February 1916 and was killed at Delville Wood serving in a Trench Mortar Battery.

On the day of his death his battalion held Hop Alley and Ale Alley trenches at Delville Wood and were subjected to German artillery fire and counter attacks all day long. Following extensive bombardment between 10am and 1pm the Germans attacked the battalion’s lines but were forced back, resulting in another bombardment. When it lifted a second attack was made and again beaten back. After yet another bombardment the Germans made their third attack of the day, resulting in hand-to-hand fighting taking place. Again beaten back a final assault was made at 8pm with the survivors of the battalion being forced to retire into Delville Wood.

Casualties of 265 men killed or wounded were taken by the battalion.

An officer wrote to the family stating that Samuel’s death was caused when two German shells fell onto a dugout he was entering killing all the occupants instantly.

The War Diary of the 1st Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment (in part) records,

“31 August 1916 - The enemy kept up a continuous shellfire on our trenches. At 10am they put a heavy barrage on the edge of Delville Wood cutting “A” and “B” Companies communications. This was kept up to 1pm when the enemy commenced bombing up Ale Alley and Bitter Trench. Lieutenant G.H. Jones-Mitton, commanding “B” Company, at once organised counter bombing parties and lined Hop Alley to snipe enemy. The attack was beaten off. Captain C.S. Burt, commanding “C” Company, came up and reinforced at 2pm.

Enemy’s barrage commenced again. Lieutenant G.H. Jones-Mitton sent up S.O.S. signal and our guns opened a curtain fire, but behind attacking Germans. Enemy were again driven back by bombing and sniping, the shortage of bombs was becoming very serious as only a few boxes reached the front line owing to the enemy’s barrage.

At 4pm the situation was in hand, the enemy had gained no ground and all was quiet. The enemy still had a barrage on our communication trenches, and all our store of bombs was exhausted.

At 4.30pm 5 enemy aeroplanes flew over our lines and dropped lights. Then an intense barrage was opened behind front line and Hop and Bitter Trench. At 7pm fire lifted, more than 50% of effectives in “A”, “B” and “C” Companies were gone. The enemy then commenced to systematically bomb up Ale Alley and Bitter Trench. The enemy rushed the right of “B” Company’s line in junction of Bitter Trench and Hop Alley. At 8pm the remains of “B” and “C” Companies were forced to vacate Hop Alley having no bombs and being pressed very hard by enemy’s bombing parties……The enemy’s bombing parties were finally driven back and we held a shallow trench in Delville Wood.”

Samuel is buried in Tincourt New British Cemetery in Grave IX.D.2. He was 24 years of age.

His elder brother, Thomas Enoch, served in France with the 18th Battalion, London Regiment with regimental number 6858, transferring to the Army Service Corps with regimental number M/395282 on Monday 25 March 1918.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme.

I don't think I have much but will ask and let you have anything I uncover. I do know he had a matchbox cover inscribed 'S.B.' in his pocket when he died - contained in the cemetery records. He was also buried elsewhere before Brincourt. That's about it for now.

All the best.

Ian

Graeme

Thank you for the photograph of Private Albert Edwin Gillin who was my wife's Grandmothers brother, we visited his grave in Walincourt Halte about 25 years ago and gave some photographs of the cemetery to his sister before she died.

I do have some other people for you to look up please:-

Harold Nicklin who was a cousin of my Grandfather he was born 1889 in Walsall and on the 1911 Census was aged 22 and a Butcher living with the Groves family at 9 Corporation Street, Walsall. His service number was 203314 and he joined the 2/6 Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and he died 6 September 1917 at Ypes and is shown on the Tyne Cott Memorial Panel 23 to 28 and 163A.

Others of Harold's family emigrated to New Zealand in 1907 and were

John Frederick Nicklin born 1876 died in New Zealand 1919 I cannot trace him being in the services - no trace is shown on the Auckland War Memorial Cenotaph database.

Alfred(Fred) Nicklin, you have posted a photograph of him on the Onward project-Photographs of New Zealand soldiers which is great. Born 1886 and on the 1901 Census he is shown as a picture framer and gilder. Living at 12 Corporation Street Walsall. His serial number was 24/1765, he was a rifleman in the NZ Rifle brigade 3rd reinforcements 2nd battalion F Company and he died at Ypes on the 5 October 1917 and is commemorated on the Tyne Cott Memorial.

Leonard Machin Nicklin born 1893 in Walsall, he survived the war. His serial number was 2/767 and he was Driver with the Field Artillery. In some letters to my mother he states he would come to Walsall when on leave and stay with my Grandparents. I do have a photograph of him in his 80's but not during WW1

Edgar Nicklin born 1880 in Walsall, he survived the war. On the 1901 census he is shown as an Iron Moulder. His serial number was 32047 and he was a rifleman with the NZ Rifle brigade, 13th reinforcements, 1st battalion, E Company.

You may have some detail on them, many thanks

John Colclough

Hi Sue

I wonder if you have anything in the walsall observer regarding my uncle

From walsall

John Enoch Clare of 110 Dalkeith st walsall Killed In action 6/7/17 France and Flanders worcester regiment

Age 22

Yours hopefully

Terry

Hello. I was wondering if you could help with any information about my great uncle William Hughes. From the research I have done I believe he was a gunner serving with RGA 191st siege battery and I think his service number was 122962. I believe he was killed in action on 6th May 1918 near Ypres and is buried at La Clytte Cemetery.

His family came from Aldridge; the 1911 census has them living at Spinney Cottage, Mill Green Aldridge but I know they all had strong connections with the Aldridge brickworks and many of this family went on to live in Leighswood, Aldridge. If there is any mention of him it would be wonderful to know. Many thanks for any help you can give.

Regards

Ruth

Hi Ruth

He is actually commemorated on the Walsall Wood War Memorial at St. John's Church, Walsall Wood and on the Brownhills roll of honour (not St. James War Memorial but the Staffordshire written roll - I do not know of any Brownhills connection.)

They resided in Salters Road, Walsall Wood after moving from Aldridge and he worked in the timber yard at the Aldridge Colliery.

The newspapers pics are awful - do you have any at all ??

post-10072-0-37640600-1417258681_thumb.j post-10072-0-71020300-1417258691_thumb.j

Regards,

Graeme

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you so much for your super speedy reply. I am at a loss for words! Sadly I have no other photos of William but these are wonderful! This means so much to see him and know that he is remembered at Walsall Wood (my dad who sadly passed earlier this year was baptised at Walsall Wood Parish Church) Dad wrote reams of memoires so I will read through them to see if I can find a Brownhills link, but if memory serves me right he was a Leighswood boy through and through. I did manage to find the information about where William is buried for my dad before he passed. He knew William had been killed in action but nothing else, sadly, like many families I imagine, the loss of William was so painful for his brothers and sisters that he was rarely ever talked about.

Gosh! I am now in a state of elation at having a photo and tears of joy and sadness at the enormity of what these young men sacrificed.

Thank you just doesn't seem quite adequate to tell you how important your research is.

Very best wishes

Ruth

Hi Ruth

Your reply has touched me so much here is everything I have researched on him

William was born in West Bromwich, the son of William and Alice Hughes of 78, Sandwell Road, West Bromwich, his father at this time being employed as an iron works filer.

The family later moved to Joberns Brickyard, Aldridge and Spinney Cottage, Mill Green, Aldridge and then to Salters Road, Walsall Wood, his father then being employed as a general labourer in a brick factory.

Employed at the timber yard at the Aldridge Colliery Number 1 Pit, William enlisted in the Army in October 1916 and was drafted to France in May 1917.

William was wounded in the back in the July following and returned to England to convalesce. He was returned to France in March 1918 and killed in action shortly afterwards.

William is buried in La Clytte Military Cemetery, 6 miles west of Ypres, in Grave V.E.8, his grave being placed in September 1919 from a battlefield burial. He was 27 years of age and is also commemorated on the Brownhills roll of honour.

Three of his bothers served in the military during the war, Bertie, Frederick and Joseph.

post-10072-0-59136500-1417262340_thumb.j

Regards,

Graeme

There is simply no way I can thank you enough for this information - it adds so much to the scant pieces I have been able to put together and leads to even more research for me to do! Dad had no idea about his other uncles having served and no idea at all that William had been wounded and returned to the front. Its all a bit overwhelming at the moment, especially as I don't have Dad to share this with, but my own children are in awe of their great great uncle's bravery and will be thrilled to have so much more information on him - and photos!

Many, many thanks

Ruth

Hi Ruth

A pleasure.

I am in the process of updating all my work with the new data being made available online so may add more in the future. Unfortunately the War Diary for his battery is not available online yet.

Do you know, by any chance, Alice's maiden name ??

Do you reside in Walsall. If not, and want pictures of Walsall Wood War Memorial, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you, although I think there are plenty on the web.

Regards,

Graeme

I think Alice's maiden name was Cooper ... and this is where it gets a bit confusing because according to my grandma's birth certificate (William Hughes sister born 1907 although listed as born abt 1908 in the 1911 census) she was christened Cooper and I believe from what dad remembered that there was much confusion in the family because several of the children were christened with Cooper as their surname and I believe it wasn't until they came to claim their pensions that this anomaly was brought to light! - but my Grandma was married with her spinster name registered as Hughes. I know my dad couldn't explain why and I haven't been able to find anything to explain it in my ancestry.co.uk research - sometimes I feel like the answer is just there, just beyond my fingertips!

I am no longer a Midlands girl I'm afraid, Woking is now home. Thank you for the information on the Walsall Wood memorial I will track it down on the web. If in my research efforts I manage to find anything else out which I think might be of help to you I will of course let you know.

Very best wishes

Ruth

Pte 2nd Class 131055 A Rutter, 5th Training School RAF - died 27/09/18 and buried in Bentley Cemetery - is there anything on him?

John