Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Oh well - thanks, Graeme.

• 1 month later...

Graeme

Could you see if you have anything on Joseph Ernest Benjamin Danks service number 9417. He was in the South Staffs Regiment.

He was born in Shelfield Walsall in 1892 and died 16 September 1915.

He was second cousin twice removed from me.

Many thanks

John Colclough

Anyone have information of my Great great grandfather, Charels Longmore born in Walsall injured in action in May 1915, Staffordshire Regiment

Have found number 11237 was awarded silver badge medal.

I do know my dad said he had a metal plate in his head.

Would love more information on this and where he was treated.

Lynn

Hi Sue

You will have possibly seen from other posts on the forum that I am currently researching one Sgt G W Harrington. I have a copy of page 3 from the 30/3/18 edition of the Walsall Chronicle which shows this man to have been with the tank Julian on it's visit during the Walsall Tank Week. Also in the final column to the right titled "Heroes Honoured", Sgt Harrington is mentioned again. It reported he was the grandson of the late Mr.James Stokes and that he was brought up in Walsall.

Sgt Harrington was in the Durham Light Infantry when he won the DCM in September 1914 and the Medal of St George 2nd Class at Hooge in July 1915. Finally he won the MM whilst serving with the Tank Corps in July 1917. Being connected with Walsall, I was wondering if you could look to see if there is any mention in the Walsall papers regarding these awards to this man with there possibly being a photo of him. Any info gratefully received

Thanks

Tanks 3

Morning Tank

I do not know about the MM, can you give me details, please !!!!

post-10072-0-08407400-1421567347_thumb.j

DCM

“For conspicuous gallantry on 20th September 1914, at Troyon, valley of the Aisne, in voluntarily rescuing wounded men on two occasions whilst under heavy fire. On 21st September he went out to the enemy’s trenches at dawn, and brought back information of great value to our artillery.”

The newspapers reported that he volunteered for reconnoitring duty, and by crossing a beet field under heavy fire was able to bring back valuable information.

London Gazette supplement 10 March 1915 p2462 (no citation)

London Gazette 1 April 1915

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

Thanks for info, I am a bit confused with the statement that he rejoined his regiment as I know he had a metal plate in his head from injuries.

I do know there was another Charles Longmore in South staffs reg who came from Hednesford as I have got them mixed up myself, as his records have lasted as my great grand fathers were destroyed.

I will ask my dad if this is a picture of his grandfather.

But I did find in the local paper a small piece mentioning him been injured in May, but I have lost this information and as not very good with computer cannot find it again. I will keep looking.

I do have a lot of information on my other great grandfather who was Gerorge Sivorn from shelfield who severed.

Thank you again

Lynn

Hi

I am sure that it is him, the address and the dates all match up.

You cannot believe everything that is printed, he obviously did not rejoin to serve,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

Have shown the photo to my dad and he said it was his grandad.

Thanks again, will now try and find out where he was treated and if he was sent to recoup anywhere

Lynn

Graeme,

Thanks for the posting. Brilliant to have a photo of him. He ended up as a WO II and he looks every bit of one!!

Citation for the MM:

"At Ypres on July 31st 1917 this NCO although wounded in the head and leg assisted in fixing the unditching gear under fire, and carried on his duties with great coolness and energy during the rest of the day. He volunteered at once for all work and kept up the spirits of the crew though in considerable pain all the time."

Was there anything in the newspaper relating to the Russian award? This is the only one of his awards that I don't know what he did to receive it. Also would it be possible to send me copy of the photo of him in your post 507 if I were to PM you my email address?

Thanks again for this. Brilliant

Tanks3

Hi Tank

On my Kindle now but if you PM me your e-mail I'll send you what I can find in the morning.

Not sure what more I can find, but I can send the pic

Regards

Graeme

• 2 months later...

Hello Sue S

Im very new to the Great War Forum, so apologies im still learning, although i have done some previous research

via find my past.

I am interested in obtaining images/photos of 2 of my great Uncles, who were brothers

They were James Henry Holmes born Walsall 1889 private 13244 South Staffs died 06/09/1915 (Voormezeele)

and William Holmes born Walsall 1895 Sargent in South Staffs reg died 05/011/1916 (Bancourt British Cemetry)

The only photo i have is the one i found on the internet of Sergt.William Holmes, which i have used as my profile pic.

also my Grandfather Sidney George Holmes born Walsall 1892, he was in the Royal Artillery, he survived WW1, although i think he had been gassed, he died in 1959, i was only 6 months old.

I did not have the chance to learn any info about my grandfather and his two brothers, because my father died when i was 8 years old.

I would appreciate any help with regard to the above info about the Holmes brothers, especially any photographs from newspapers.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you if you can help.

LesleyWT

Hi Lesley. Find My Past would be your best bet as the Walsall Observer 1914-18 is now available on their site. Otherwise if you wait a little while I am sure Graeme may come up with the photographs of James and William who are in the Observer. Good luck with your research. Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sue,

Am looking for any information about 306722 Pte David Coulton, 2/7th Duke of Wellington's Regt., KIA 3/5/17 and commemorated on Arras Memorial

Enlisted Walsall

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

AC

Hello AC. There is not a photo in either the Pioneer or the Observer but the Observer is now online at Find My Past so it might be worth a search to see whether there is an article about him. Good Luck. Sue

• 2 months later...

Hello Sue,would you know if you have any information on sgt Harry BILLS 9365 of South staffords ? I know he was admitted to hospital early 1918

Hi

I am on holiday for a couple of weeks but may be able to help if Sue does not answer the thread before then.

This thread is quite hard to find again after it drops off the radar so please PM me with what you know and I'll look when I get home.

Regards

Graeme

Hi. Sorry. No Harry Bills in either the Observer or Pioneer index. Out of interest there is an Edward Bills Nova Scotia Reg whose photo is in the Pioneer as being killed 12-01-1918. Thought I would mention it as it is an unusual name. Sue

• 3 months later...

Hi Graeme

Many thanks for info on William Thomas Jevons, 7757. Do you have a picture of him?

George

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Does anyone know of this trumpeter as described by Bloxwich's vicar the Rev Hamilton in May 1916's church magazine

We are pleased to record that the youngest soldier in the British Army is a former Bloxwich Boy – Trumpeter Arthur O. Baldwin, who is the centre of much popularity. He was only 13 when he first put on the Khaki, and now at 14 years of age he has already seen over 12 months service and been out to France.

He was for some time a scholar in our National School. We congratulate him on his patriotism, and we feel sure Bloxwich people are proud of him. We wish him every success, and may he return to his home safe and sound.

The only Arthur O. Baldwin I can find on the iwm lives of the first world war site is for a Corporal Arthur O Baldwin who served with Royal Engineers, Service #444241. No mention of being a Trumpeter.

Thanks

George