Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

Sue,

What a surprise,we have been trying to find some information about my wifes grandfather Edwin Mills,he was injured in 1916 and was treated in St.Dunstans Roehampton,their records show him as having been RAF.However no-one in the family remembers him ever having been such,he was a Buff attached to the Black Watch and unless something went terribly awry why would a RAF man have been injured attacking the german trenches.We don`t have his medals or service number,but as he went on to succesfully grown and show chrysanthemums he must have appeared at some point in the Walsall Observer.Can you enlighten us please?

what a fool i feel,I asked you the same thing 4 years ago!!! sorry sue,but we just can`t find any real,true record of him.We suspect he joined up under an assumed or altered name.All his personal stuff was lost when he died(large family)so we are powerless.

• 1 month later...

Hi Sue

Have just found this thread. Have been trying to find out about two brothers - Ernest and Harry Kemp who may both have served in the RAMC. I wonder if either of them is mentioned in your index. Both of them came from Walsall and worked in a bakery before the start of the war which they both survived.

Regards

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth, There is no photograph of Ernest in either the Walsall Observer or the Walsall Pioneer but Harry's photograph is in both! He appeared in the Walsall Observer 26-2-1916 because he was in hospital. His address is given as Short Street. He also appears in Jeff Elson's index to the Walsall Pioneer, Harry Kemp of the RAMC 18-3-1916. If you are not able to get to Walsall Local History Centre I would suggest that you email them with the dates and ask them to look for both the photograph and the report. The report sometimes appeared a week or two earlier or later than the photograph but I am not sure how much they will search for you. It was common for other family members to be mentioned and so you will probably find that Harry's report also mentions Ernest.

Can I suggest that you try and get hold of a copy of my book; Walsall Serviceman 1914-18 A Guide to Reseach. It will give you lots of suggestions of other places to research a local serviceman. You won't be able to buy it because it is out of print but there are lots of copies in the local libraries. Good luck with your research. Sue

Dear Sue

Thank you so much for the information you have provided. I cannot tell you how thrilled I was to read your reply Sorry for the delay in answering but I have just returned from holiday.

The Kemp family lived on Short Street so it looks as if it is the right Harry Kemp. I would love to access your book but I live outside the UK. I will, though, email the Walsall Local History Centre to see if I can get more information.

Elizabeth

Dear Graeme

Thank you so much for sending through the two photos. We did not have any pictures of Harry from that period. I really appreciate the trouble you have taken.

We have also had problems finding any evidence of where he served in World War One so it was interesting to read that he was in hospital in Alexandria in early 1916.

Regards

Elizabeth

• 1 month later...

Hi Sue,

Do you have any information on Pte. 7532 Harry Barnett? He was born in Pleck and was the Husband of Lily Barnet (nee

Brookes). KiA on 6th August 1915 serving with the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter. According to Jeff Elson's index a photograph of Harry appears in the Walsall Pioneer dated 11-3-1916. A photograph of Charles Barnett of the 3rd Worcesters appears on the same day. The Walsall Observer has the following entries: Charles Barnett of Wolverhampton Street, wounded and missing 25-4-1915. Harry of Holtshill Lane missing 25-9-1915.

Harry of Essex Terrace presumed dead 4-3-1916. Graeme may have details of their newspaper entries and will probably pick up this message in due course. Good luck with your research. Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sue and Graeme

I am a first timer on this website and noticed your message about the index of soldiers and was hoping that you could locate two brothers from Walsall.

I am researching a Thomas Kennedy, who I believe served with the South Staffs regiment before moving on to the King's Liverpool Regiment, 1st Battalion, No 9201. I think he died 11 Nov 1914, but don't know where.

His Brother, Luke Kennedy, served with the South Staffs Regiment, 2nd Battalion, No 8232. He died on 23 Jun 1915 in France.

Their younger brother John also served but survived the war. I am not sure if he served overseas. He was with 1/5th South Staffs, No 203339.

Any information that you can locate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kelly

Hi Kelly and welcome to the forum. I have the following entry for the name Kennedy whose photographs appear in the Walsall Observer. The date given is the date of the newspaper.

Thomas Kennedy. Blue Lane. Killed. 20-3-1915

Jeff Elson's index to the Walsall Pioneer has entries for two men by the name of Kennedy but neither are the names you are looking for. Good luck with your research. Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue

Thanks for that information. I have heard from Graeme also and he has provided alot of info.

Cheers

Kelly

Hi Kelly and welcome to the forum. I have the following entry for the name Kennedy whose photographs appear in the Walsall Observer. The date given is the date of the newspaper.

Thomas Kennedy. Blue Lane. Killed. 20-3-1915

Jeff Elson's index to the Walsall Pioneer has entries for two men by the name of Kennedy but neither are the names you are looking for. Good luck with your research. Sue

• 1 month later...

:poppy: Sue

have you by chance in your reaserch

come across a newspaper report or obituary regarding

PTE. WILLIAM ALBERT MATTHEWS, 12917, South Staffordshire Regt, died Shrewsbury hospital menengites, 29 July 1918, born Willenhall, enlisted Wolverhampton, 2 September 1914. son of E. Matthews of 15 Spring Gardens Shrewsbury, buried military headstone Shrewsbury cemetery.

if so please can you send me what you have

very much appricated

PHILIP

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

• 1 month later...

Hi Sue,

Do you have any reports for a Joseph Blower b. Walsall 1886 abt. Son of William and Emily (Emma) Blower. Not much to go on I'm sorry to say but trying to confirm if Joseph the brother of 4986 David Henry Blower also served in the Worcesters.

Regards

Peter

Peter

It APPEARS that he is, below is the 1891

post-10072-0-40031700-1330500992.jpg

he is on the bottom line BUT is it Job, Jos, Joe ?????

Over to you.

What is his service record ??

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thank you for reply. I have him on the 1891 census also on 1901 census. His brother David Henry served 2nd Bn. Worcesters (4986). Information regarding David you have supplied in the past. On my database (2nd Bn. Worcesters 14 star) is a Joseph Blower (7275 no service records found only MIC) and wondered if he could be Davids brother, reason for my posting. Hoped their may have been a newspaper report that could have helped to confirm one way or another as to whether they were brothers.

Regards

Peter

Peter,

I have been through the Walsall Observer with a fine tooth comb, even the obituaries for family details,

and there is no mention of him. I have scoured the Pioneer but not to the same extent and did not come across any mention of a brother,

Graeme

It's a long shot as the chap I am interested in is commemorated on the West Haddon (Northants) war memorial but he enlisted in Walsall and was part of the Staffordshire Yeomanry - here are his details:

C/pl 300245 & 2886 William Henry Hollis

1/1st Staffordshire Yeomanry

Died of sickness 21st October 1918

Son of Henry & Emma Hollis,

Sheepy Magna,

Atherstone.

Warwickshire

You never know, he might be included in your list?

Thanks,