Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

Hi Sue

Anything on Pte William Alfred Haskey? 10 (Service) Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment who was from near Walsall - died 22/01/1916

thanks in advance

Hi Tumble, apologies for the delay in replying. I have been out of action for a few days. There is nothing in the Walsall Observer or the Pioneer but I know that Graeme Clarke has done a lot of work on the Walsall casualties and it might be worth contacting him if he does'nt see this message. Regards Sue

Hi Andy and apologies for the delay in replying. I only have a John Cooper of New Street, Walsall listed as wounded, Walsall Observer date 18-3-1916 and Jeff Elson's index to the Walsall Pioneer shows John Cooper, South Staffs as being wounded, Pioneer date 25-3-1916.

I very much hope that Ken and I will be at Wton WFA next year. I would normally have to fit it in with football but the way my team are performing at the moment I doubt whether I will be renewing my season ticket and should have lots of free Saturdays. Regards Sue

Sue

Thanks for taking the time to look, much appreciated.

I presume you're now happier after the Leeds result!

regards

Andy

Hi Sue et al,

I did see the post, Sue, but didn't want to butt in on your thread.

William Haskey was from Fazeley so it is a bit out of the Walsall area. I have nothing on him.

Regards,

Graeme

• 2 months later...

Sue

I am trying to find out about:

Private Edward Edwards - 10/18248 S. Staffs Regt.

86305 - Northumberland Fusiliers

His MIC shows that he "died" having gone France 1/8/15.

I assume he started off in the 10th Battalion and then transferred to the Fusiliers.

His 14/15 Trio records the South Staffs as his original regiment which I believe is usual.

CWGC says he died 1/12/18 and is buried in Bentley Cemetary - (Walsall I believe)

I have checked your excellent book Walsall Servicemen 1914-18 but cannot see that he is listed.

I don't think any other Records are available via "Ancestry".

Do you have any information in your archives or whether he died of wounds or from flu ?

I will be writing for a copy of his death certificate (which I believe I can obtain) but any help greatly appreciated.

Clive

Graeme

Many thanks for you reply and photo of the grave.

Much appreciated.

I am interested to know why you believe him to be a Wolverhampton man ?

Is it because of old Borough boundaries etc ?

Regards

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clive and apologies for the delay in responding and I am pleased that Graeme was able to help. Willenhall is part of the present day Walsall Metropolitan Borough but has historic links with Wolverhampton. If memory serves me correctly there are few if any Willenhall men listed in the Walsall Observer. He does not appear in Jeff Elson's index to the Walsall Pioneer either. The Wolverhampton Express and Star might be your best bet. Thank you for your kind comment about 'Walsall Servicemen 1914-18' and good luck with your research. Sue

Hi Sue

Do you have anything on an A. Matthews died on 25.11.18 Aged 48

He was with the RFA (Driver)

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, there is nothing in either the index to the Walsall Observer nor in Jeff Elson's index to the Walsall Pioneer. If Graeme picks this thread up he may be able to help. Good luck. Sue

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

Morning Sue,

We are trying to trace my wifes grandfathers service record.As is usual his medals went missing loing ago and we don`t know his number.

I`ll run through what we do know,he was known as Ted Mills and we have been told variously that the chances are his real name was Edward,someone has ventured Edwin.He lived in Caldmore and joined the Buffs sometime before 1916 when he was injured.He was blinded and wound up in St.Dunstans in Roehampton,now they have records of a Edwin Mills but think he was in the RAF!but the family are convinced that he was attached to the Black Watch as when found he was wearing that uniform in fact was evacuated to Scotland after France.

Not much to go on I know,but any mention of a E.Mills in 1916 is,at least,a start.

regards,

Alan and Lynne Ward

Hi Alan and Lynne, there are a number of people with the surname Mills in both mine and Jeff Elson's index but no one with the initial E. As you probably know many Service Records were destroyed in the Second World War so your grandfather's may have been one of those. If you know when or where he died you could obtain his death certificate or try searching the voters and absent voters lists for Caldmore to find him or his family. Once you have established his name then you can go on to search medal index cards etc. The LLT at the top left hand page of this forum's home page will give you more suggestions. Good luck. Sue

• 1 month later...

Sue S,

Could you see if there is a photo of 51286 Pte Sidney Bateman 17th Bn Sherwood Foresters KiA 11 Feb 1917?

Many thanks

Mark

• 1 month later...

mark,

the book walsall and distict, the roll of the great war doesnt have picture but have the following information

bateman s.j. pte

notts and derbys

joined may 1916

holds general service and victory medals.

sent to france, august ,1916 and was engaged in battle of ypres , where he was picked off with sniper and met instantanous death

private address-lichfield road, walsall wood

hope its some help?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark and sincere apologoes for the delay in replying. I have been out of action for a while. A photograph of Sidney Bateman appears in The Walsall Observer 3-3-1917. He is on the Walsall Roll of Honour and probably on the War Memorial outside St John's Church Walsall Wood, although I have not checked. Regards Sue

Hı mark

Probably not much use at the moment but ıf the pıcture ıs ın the Walsall Observer I wıll defınately have ıt. The problem ıs that I am out of the country untıl mıd October but wıll post ıt then together wıth a bıo etc.

Can I ask what your ınterest ıs ın Bateman ?

Regards

Graeme

• 2 months later...

Hi Sue,

Is there any mention of the following:

7135 Pte Frank William ALCOCK 2nd South Staffs

and

1084 Leonard Henry BOWKER (5th and 12th Lancers)

Many thanks

Jon

Hi Sue -

Any sign of Frank Edgar Smith 7/South Staffs kia 4/10/17?

TIA

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for looking Sue!

Simon

Hello Sue

Grateful if you could help my research into the First Tank Crews with a check on two Walsall men who served in D Company of the Heavy Section Machine Gun Corps at the Battle of Flers-Courcelette on 15th September 1916.

2965 Gnr Charles Henry Leeming, the son of John Henry Leeming, was born in Oct 1891. Living at 7 School Ter Walsall, he was the the manager of a buckle works when he was attested, under the Derby Scheme, on 8 Dec 1915 aged 24 years 2 months. He volunteered to join the MMGS (the form was countersigned by the editor of the Motor Cycle) and he was mobilised on 20 Mar 1916. He was first employed with E Coy of the Armd Car Sect. He was transferred to HS MGC on 4 May and posted to D Coy on 27 May. He deployed overseas on 28 Aug through Le Havre. Capt Wood's notebook states he was internally wounded on 16th Sep 1916 and was sent to the NZ field ambulance (his record also shows him as wounded.) On Nov, he was sent sick on 7 Nov which resulted in his evacuation to the General Hospital at Dannes. He was transferred to the MGC Depot at Camiers on 19 Nov and rejoined (the newly formed) D Bn on 8 Dec 1916. He was later rebadged as Tank Corps and served throughout the war with D Bn and 4th Bn. He was granted UK leave from 2 to 16 Nov 1917, rejoining the Bn on 20 Nov. He was again granted leave from 2 Oct to 26 Oct 1918 during which he was married on 19 Oct 1918 to Nora Cooper at st Peter’s Church Walsall. He remained a Pte for all his service and his conduct sheet was clear. On his demobilization from Ripon on 13 Sep 1919, he returned to 11 School Terrace Walsall. His medals were received on 28 Jun 1921. Possibly died in 1945 in Walsall.

32003 Gnr William George “Willie” Shelton born at Worcester c 20th November 1885. Married to Alice Jane Butcher – at Kings Heath Registry Office on 23rd Jan 1912. A cashier, he enlisted at Coventry on 10 Dec 1915; aged 32 years and 30 days. He also served with E Coy Armd Car Sectthne to D Coy with Charles Leeming on 27 May. He embarked for France 28 August, and after the first actions, was posted to D Bn on 18 Nov 1916 and served with No 12 Coy. Probably served at Thelus during battle of Vimy Ridge, Wounded on 3 May 1917 during 2nd Battle of Bullecourt but remained at duty; admitted to Fd Amb then No 45 CCS with GSW to back 6 May then No 47 Hospital (Le Treport) on 8 May; released to reinforcement depot on 18th May; returned to D Bn on 8 Jun. later 200837 Tank Corps. Detached to Depot for special duty on 18 Jun; probably as part of Operation HUSH – the proposed invasion of the Belgian coast. Returned to Depot on 6 Nov 1917; attached to 14th Bn on 8 Nov then to 16th Bn on 3 Jan 1918. Promoted LCPL on 28 March later ACpl on 2 September then Cpl on 19 Sep then A/Sgt on 20 November – serving with B Coy. To UK (Chiseldon) on 31 Jan 1919; transferred to Z Class reserve on 3 Mar. Awarded DCM with 16th Bn 13 Jun 1919; sent by post in Jul 1919. Subsequently employed as a cashier at Walsall branch of Armour and Co in November 1921 – still living at 144 Tenby Rd Moseley. Died at 19 Addenbrooke Str in Walsall on 16? April 1964.

Many thanks for looking

Stephen

Hi Stephen. A photograph of Charles Leeming appears in The Walsall Observer 4-11-1916. The index shows that he was from School Terrace and that he had been wounded. You can obtain a copy by contacting Walsall Local History Centre.

There is nothing for Willie Shelton. I also checked Jeff Elson's index to the Walsall Pioneer but there is nothing for either man. Regards. Sue