Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

• 2 months later...

Hi Sue,

Can you check in your list for Alfred Tomkinson killed 30.12.1916. He was in the 8th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment.

Thanks

John

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

Hi Sue,

Is it possible to see if you have a Henry Bettelley (sometimes mis-spelled Bettelly) listed please? He lived in the area

Many thanks Joss

Hi John, the index is a list of men whose photographs appeared in the Walsall Observer during the Great War. Many of the photographs were accompanied by quite detailed write-ups about the serviceman. I have a some of the actual entries but by no means all of them as there are more than 5,000 in the index. Sue

• 3 months later...

If anyone intends to contact Walsall Local History Centre in order to obtain an entry from the Walsall Observer, you might want to bear in mind that, as far as I understand it, they will be charging a research fee from the beginning of April. Sue S

Sue

do you have anything on the following men with a coventry connection

BOOKER, Private, Samuel Thomas. 66283, 1st /2nd Welch Field Amb., Royal Army Medical Corps. Died of influenza, Tel El Kebir, 6th January, 1919. Age 39. Son of Isaac and Ann Booker. Husband of Elizabeth Booker, of 71, Hamilton Rd., Stoke, Coventry. Born 29th April, 1879 at Walsall. Motor Trimmer's Assistant. Enlisted August, 1915. Grave Ref. 25. Tel El Kebir War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt.

BRADLEY, Private, George. 10971, 1st Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Killed in action, 2nd November, 1915. Born 27th January, 1882 at Walsall. Resided at 15c. Well Street. Annealer. Enlisted February, 1915. Grave Ref. III. D. 3. Sucrerie Military Cemetery, Colincamps, France

COTTON, Private, Frederick. 2350, 1st Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Died of wounds, 2nd July, 1915. Born St. Paul's, Walsall, Staffs. Enlisted Warwick. Resided Coventry. Memorial Ref. Panel 8. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.

GOODE, Private, Albert. 7th Bn., South Staffordshire Regiment. Died of wounds, home, 1st October, 1916. Born Aldridge, Staffs. Resided Exhall. Employed Coventry. Grave Ref. M. I. 365. Walsall (Bloxwich) Cemetery.

HEMMINGS, Gunner, Christopher. 1206, D Bty., 93rd Bde., Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action, 13th October, 1916. Born Walsall. Employed Coventry. Grave Ref. XI. N. 3. Guards' Cemetery, Lesboeufs, France.

PRICE, Acting Sergeant, Joseph. 962, 14th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Died of wounds, 1st September, 1916. Age 25. Son of William Isaac and Caroline Price, of Walsall Wood. Born Walsall, Staffs. Enlisted Birmingham. Resided Coventry. Grave Ref. II. B. 26. La Neuville British Cemetery, Corbie, France.

Thanks

Trevor

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

Hi Sue

My great uncle John Thacker was kia 17.2.17 he lived at Prospect Cottage,Long Lane,New Town,Walsall.Got his photo out of the OBSERVER but for some reason he is not on the Walsall Roll of Honour i am at a loss as to why not any idea,s

Hi Trevor, I have found Walsall Observer entries for two of the men you asked about. They read as follows:

George Bradley. Formerly of Walsall. Reported Killed. Observer date 8-1-16

Albert Goode. Long Lane, Newtown. Died. Observer date 4-11-16

I researched the men on the Aldridge memorial for one of my books, 'Leaving The Village' and I can confirm that Albert Goodes' name is not amongst them. If memory serves me correctly I think that his family had left the area some years before. Best wishes .Sue

Hi Tony, It is strange that there have been two replies to my post in the past few days and both concern men from Long Lane, Newtown! This area is some way north of Bloxwich and there are a number of war memorials much nearer that Walsall. I suggest that you try Bloxwich, Great Wyrley or Cheslyn Hay. Regards. Sue S

Hello Sue,

I am sending this from my old clockwork laptop as my "real" pc has blown up, with my research database on the hard drive.

Whilst I am awaiting it's repair, can I ask if you have any information on men with the surname Tuck in your database? I think there should be 2, one of which was in 1st Grenadier Guards.

Very kindest regards,

Stephen. :rolleyes:

Hi Stephen, the only one I have is Joseph Tuck of Freer Street Walsall . Killed. Walsall Observer date 30-12-1916. Hope the PC gets better soon. Regards Sue

Hi Stephen, the only one I have is Joseph Tuck of Freer Street Walsall . Killed. Walsall Observer date 30-12-1916. Hope the PC gets better soon. Regards Sue

Hi Sue,

Thank you for looking and for the information on Joseph, 2 men? obviously I'm getting old and my memory is playing tricks.

Very kindest regards,

Stephen. :rolleyes:

ps

Yes I hope it (pc) gets better soon too, I feel like I've lost an arm.

Hi Tony, It is strange that there have been two replies to my post in the past few days and both concern men from Long Lane, Newtown! This area is some way north of Bloxwich and there are a number of war memorials much nearer that Walsall. I suggest that you try Bloxwich, Great Wyrley or Cheslyn Hay. Regards. Sue S

Hi Sue

Thanks for the info iv,e checked Great Wyrley and Cheslyn Hay no joy,i thought Bloxwich came under Walsall so i will check that out again thanks for the help

regards tony

The roll of Honour for Bloxwich, Blakenall and Leamore is a beautifully written single sheet of cardboard with a list of 316 men who gave their lives in the Great War. I believe that it is in accession number 527 at Walsall Local History Centre. Sue

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sue

Do you have anything on Chaplain to the Forces 4th Class Thomas Howell, RACD att'd 6th Bn KSLI, who was killed in action 1 December 1917? He was the minister of Walsall Congregational Church apparently.

Many thanks.

Gwyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the following, can I ask what connection, if any ? Do you have a photo perchance ?

The Reverend Thomas HOWELL

Chaplain 4th Class

Army Chaplains’ Department

attached

6th Battalion, King’s Shropshire Light Infantry

Killed in France on Saturday 1 December 1917

Thomas was born in Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, Wales whilst his parents later resided in Cardiff. He was educated at Swansea Grammar School, the University College of Wales at Cardiff and at Brecon Congregational College. He obtained his B.A. degree at Cardiff University in 1907 and thereafter took up a position in the ministry at Leominster in 1910 where he stayed for three years.

In March 1914 Thomas commenced his ministry at The Bridge Street Congregational Church, Walsall and during 1916 served three months in France with the Y.M.C.A. Seeing his vocation as serving at the front, Thomas joined the Army Chaplains’ Department in June 1917 being sent to officiate to the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry.

Killed while serving his men at the front, Thomas was 33 years of age.

At the time of his death his battalion were in the line between La Vacquerie and Masnières. At 8am on Friday 30 November 1917 the Germans made massed attacks in the area during the Battle of Cambrai, the battalion losing 93 officers and men killed on the first day alone. The battalion made several attacks to clear the high ground south west of Gonnelieu but each attack was beaten off.

Thomas is buried in Fifteen Ravine British Cemetery, Villers-Plouich in Grave IV.C.16.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Gwyn, Apologies for the delay in replying to your post. We have been away and actuallly visited the KSLI museum.

The Walsall Obsever does have an entry for Thomas Howell. He is described as a Pastor of Bridge Street (this was a Congregational Chapel) and the entry appears 15-12-1917. The photographs in the newspaper vary in quality but they are better than nothing. You might also try the Walsall Pioneer index which appears on the shelf at the Walsall Local History Centre. The originals of the Pioneer are in much better condition than the Observer and invariably produce a much better image.

Good luck with your research. Sue S

Hi (again)

Further to Sue's entry, I can tell you that the Pioneer does indeed have a photograph of the man.

It is is issue dated 15 December 1917.

Graeme

Hi Gwyn, Apologies for the delay in replying to your post. We have been away and actuallly visited the KSLI museum.

The Walsall Obsever does have an entry for Thomas Howell. He is described as a Pastor of Bridge Street (this was a Congregational Chapel) and the entry appears 15-12-1917. The photographs in the newspaper vary in quality but they are better than nothing. You might also try the Walsall Pioneer index which appears on the shelf at the Walsall Local History Centre. The originals of the Pioneer are in much better condition than the Observer and invariably produce a much better image.

Good luck with your research. Sue S

Hi Sue

Many thanks for taking the trouble to locate Thomas Howell in your records for me. Your help is really appreciated.

Best wishes

Gwyn

Hi Graeme

I'm interested in Cardiff men who died in the war, hence my original request to Sue. I only had a limited amount of information about Thomas Howell so you have provided a lot of new material for me. Very many thanks for this. It seems he was linked with a number of places in one way and another, and his connection with Cardiff was somewhat tenuous!

There are brief reports in the Western Mail of the 10th and 11th December 1917 which record the following:

Late Minister of Walsall Congregational Church. His parents lived at 189 Whitchurch Road, Cardiff. His brother E.G. Howell was a pharmacist at 37 Whitchurch Road. Two other brothers were serving in the army at that time: Second Lieutenant H.H. Howell and Sergeant A. Howell.

Also, the University of Wales Roll of Service (1921) shows that he entered University College Cardiff in 1901.

Can I ask what is the source of your information?

You have been a great help for which I am very grateful.

Best wishes

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

Glad to assist. As far as I can remember most of the details come from either 'Walsall Observer' or 'Walsall Pioneer' newspapers.

I have been researching Walsall RoH for some years now.

Thanks for the other bits, much appreciated.

Graeme

Sue,

I am trying to find newspaper sources for:

HENRY BENTLEY BAILEY who serevd as 9744, later 230830 Private, 1/5th South Staffordshire Regiment.

He was born/resided in Walsall.

He was mentioned somewhere in the 'Walsall Observer' and 'South Staffordshire Chronicle' but I do not know when, how often and in which publication he was mentioned.

Can you advise?

Can I order copies of articles / photographs? I am not local.

Mark