The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Mark,

I can tell you that he served in A Company, 1/5th Battalion, SSR

records record

Sth 241215 WSS 260616

(Sth is either sent to hospital OR sent to home...someone else may help on this. WSS is wounded shell shock).

He is mentioned in the Battalion War Diary as follows

260616 shell shock

140317 wounded (mentioned in appendix)

260616;

Just prior to the Battle of Somme his battalion moved up to Foncquevillers in readiness for the offensive. They relieved the 1/5th Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment in the front line trenches in right sector in front of Fonquevillers during Wednesday 21 June 1916, the relief being completed by 12.50am the following morning.

While in trenches in this area they were continuously subjected to artillery barrages which were particularly strong from Saturday 24 June 1916 onwards. On the day of John’s death the trenches were shelled between 8.30am and 9.15am accounting for 9 killed and 16 wounded.

The War Diary records,

“26 June 1916 - Enemy heavily shelled our front line and supports between 8.30am and 9.15am. Calibre of guns were 77mm, 4.1 and 5.9. Enemy barraged our support line during the 9.45am bombardment. Battalion relieved by 4th Leicesters, and proceeded to Humbercamps. “C” Company remained behind as working party under instruction received from Brigade.”

140317;

The Germans had abandoned Gommecourt itself and by taking Bucquoy it was hoped to cut off the retreating enemy. The battalion marched nearly five miles to their starting lines and reached them at midnight, only one hour before the attack was due to commence. Although exhausted they were immediately formed and took part in the attack. The battalion was almost immediately hit by machine gun fire which caused numerous casualties. The German wire was, by and large, uncut by the preliminary barrage and any gaps that were found caused a bunching up of troops who were immediately cut down. The battalion retired with 160 casualties for no gain.

(Large diary enrty which, unfortunately I do not have. I am visiting museum in the next 2 weeks or so and will get it)

His photo and bio appears in

Walsall Observer (resided in Vigo Road, Walsall Wood)

080416 (on active service)

140417 (wounded)

He is NOT in the Pioneer (picture anyway)

If you ring Essex Street local history centre they may help with a photo for a small cost,

Regards,

Graeme

Sue/Graeme

If it's of any interest, I can confirm that Thomas Howell is commemorated on the Cardiff University War Memorial.

Gwyn

Gwyn,

yes, it is of use, many thanks for posting.

Do you, perchance, have a photo of the memorial ??

Cheers,

Graeme

Gwyn,

yes, it is of use, many thanks for posting.

Do you, perchance, have a photo of the memorial ??

Cheers,

Graeme

Sorry, Graeme. I don't have a photo of the memorial. If I can obtain one, I will let you know.

Regards

Gwyn

Hi Sue,

I'm trying too track my gr. grandfather and, I see that you have an index for the Walsall Observer, I was wondering if you could do a look up for me..

He is Sergeant John Sanders, 8990, 1/5Btn., South Staffordshire Reg. He was killed on 27/4/1915 at Dickebusch, Belgium. At that time according to the war diary of the SSR, he was attached to the Royal Engineers, possibly doing tunnelling work in that area.

He was born in Bloxwitch on 7/8/1879 and, at the time of his death his widow was living at 86 High Rd, Lane Head, Willenhall.

Thanks

Iain

Iain

I have a bit on this man

Sergeant 8990 John SANDERS

D Company, 1/5th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Killed in action in Belgium on Thursday 27 April 1915

John was born in Bloxwich. He was married to Hannah and resided at 85, High Road, Lane Head, Wolverhampton with her and their 4 children. His mother resided at Parker Street, Bloxwich.

John served in the battalion during the Boer war without injury although he was captured by the enemy. At the time of re-joining his battalion at the outbreak of war he was employed as a winder at Wood Farm colliery.

At the time of his death John was attached to the Royal Engineers.

Killed in action, he is buried in Dickebusch new Military Cemetery in Grave D.13. He was 36 years of age.

He is commemorated on the Bloxwich roll of honour in St. James's Church, Bloxwich.

His photo is in the Walsall Pioneer of 22 January 1916. There is a John Sanders mentioned (with photo) as killed in the Walsall Observer of 8 May 1915 but this gives his address as Parker Street, Bloxwich.

Unfortunately that is all I have. I am going to the Staffs Museum on Tuesday to get the War Diary for this if you need it as he is mentioned by name as being killed this date.

I would be grateful of any other information you have.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Iain, A photograph of your great grandfather appears in the Walsall Observer dated 8-5-1915, saying that he had lived in Parker Street, Bloxwich. At this stage of the war it is possible that the photograph would have been accompanied by a fairly detailed write up. As the war went on and particularly during the periods of very heavy casualties, photographs were often accompanied by just a few lines or, in the case of my grandfather, just a photograph and no report at all! Good luck with your research. Regards. Sue

Hi Graeme & Sue,

Thanks for that, that is amazing, had hit a brick wall with this man.

Greame, all the info i have on him is what i posted, apart from he had a brother Edward that also fought in ww1 with the SSR.

Is it possible for to obtain a picture from the Walsall Observer, or does it come under a different name now.

Thanks again

Iain Sanders

Greame, Forgot to ask, is there war diaries for the South Staffs during the boar war.

Iain

Hi Iain,

I will ask about the Boer War but I am sure the answer will be NO.

I am sure that I got the information about Sanders from the Walsall Observer/Pioneer.

I am slowly building up pictures of the men from Walsall and Bloxwich from these newspapers but have not Sanders as yet. As and when I get it I will forward to you.

Graeme

Iain,

There is nothing in the War Diary about his death other than him being mentioned in the casualties for the month as

Includes 8990 Sergeant J. Sanders (attached R.E.) killed at Dickebusch 27 April 1915.

Regards,

Graeme

Iain,

There is nothing in the War Diary about his death other than him being mentioned in the casualties for the month as

Includes 8990 Sergeant J. Sanders (attached R.E.) killed at Dickebusch 27 April 1915.

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks for that Graeme, the search continues.

Iain

Sue,

I am researching my Grandfather, Frederick Horace Dodd, who was a Driver in the RFA with a battalion number of 94231.

I have a very old photocopy of a newspaper article which is more than likely a local Walsall paper.

This photocopy was done back in the late 1970's so it is not of the best quality and I would love to get a better quality one.

The headline reads, "Forrester Street Artilleryman In Hospital"

and the text reads, "Driver Frederick Horace Dodd, of 49 Forrester Street, who has been ill in Hospital in France, is now recovering nicely. He is 21 years of age, and before joining the R.F.A., about thirteen months ago, was in the employ of Messrs. Sammons Bros. of Upper Rushall Street."

It is accompanied by a photograph of him in uniform which is very hard to see becasue of the age of the photocopy.

I am also wondering if there were any other articles about him as the text suggests that he may have been mentioned before.

Does anybody have any idea what business the Sammons brothers ran?

Hello Sue

Im my local (Bournemouth) paper, CSM Thomas Miller (Walsall) is mentioned. He must have had some connection with my area. Please will you have a look through your database, when you have time, and see if you can find out any info. about him? Thanks. Regards. Morten

Hello Sue,

Could you have a look for any mention of the name Baugh. Particularly Enoch or Samuel, from Bloxwich.

A newbie Sue.N is looking for them, and there may be a distant connection to my own Baughs from Bilston.

Rob

Apologies to Rob, Morten and Mark. I have seen your posts but life is a bit hectic at the moment. I will try to respond within the next couple of days. Sorry to keep you waiting. Sue S

Apologies to Rob, Morten and Mark. I have seen your posts but life is a bit hectic at the moment. I will try to respond within the next couple of days. Sorry to keep you waiting. Sue S

No problem. We appreciate the time and effort your put in!

If it helps narrow it down a bit he arrived in France on the 9/9/1915.

Hi Mark, I believe that the details you asked for have been given by Graeme Clarke. An e-mail to Walsall Local History Centre will give you an idea of costs of reproduction but I should'nt think that it will be very much as you already have the dates of the newspaper entries. Regards Sue S

Hi Mark, the newspaper entry which you have is from the Walsall Observer dated 25-3-1916. It might be worthwhile e-mailing Walsall Local History Centre and explaining that you have a poor copy and would like a better one. You could also ask them about Sammons Brothers.

As for possible previous articles concerning you grandfather, all I can say with any degree of certainty is that he does not appear again in my index but as it is an index to photographs it is still possible that there was an article about him. My index covers 5,000 entries and to do one listing every article would be a lifetimes work. Perhaps someone will have come across something during there research which might be of help. Incidentally the index does contain the name of a Mark Dodd of Blakenall heath who was invalided. The date is 8-4-1916. Hope that you find what you are looking for. Sue

Sorry Morten, I have nothing for Thomas Miller. Regards Sue

Hi Rob, I have the following entries for the surname Baugh.

Dan Baugh. Pleck Road. Died. Observer date 7-7-1017

Daniel Baugh '' '' Wounded '' '' 23-12-1916

Enoch Baugh Bloxwich. Killed. '' '' 19-8-1916

Jas. Baugh Plants Yard Bloxwich. POW '' '' 11-5-1918

John Baugh Cope St, Leamore . In hospital '' '' 28-8-1915

Samuel Baugh. Whitehouse St. Rep. Killed '' '' 23-9-1916

Hope this is of interest. Sue

Thanks Sue.

For those interested, he was shot in the foot as they were bringing some guns up the the front. It was a clean wound and he returned to duty after a month or so and the injury never bothered him at all except on cold mornings.

Hi Sue!

Any reference please to Frederick Smith, 74751, RAMC 101st F A - he lived in the area - later address was 90 Lumley Road. - Thanks in advance - John

Morning John. I have the following entries which may be of interest.

F. Smith. West Bromwich Road. Killed. Observer date. 6-4-1918

Frederick Smith. Whitehall road. Wounded. Observer date 15-7-1916

Frederick Smith. Whitehall Road. Military Medal. Observer date 13-1-1917

Regards. Sue

Wow! What an instant response! I would be interested in the two that relate to the Frederick Smith of Whitehall Road. How do I get a sight of these? Thanks for your help - John