Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Brian,

I have this,

John Samuel SWINNERTON

Private 13310

8th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Died in England on Wednesday 18 November 1914

John was a local man, born to William and Ann Swinnerton of 37, Dalkeith Street, Walsall, later of 29, Margaret Street, Walsall. He was a married man with 3 children.

John died at the age of 32 years whilst in training at West Dulworth Camp on the Dorset coast near Dorchester having served in the Army for only 11 weeks.

His death was the subject of an inquest held at Dorchester County Hospital on Friday 20 November 1914, two days after his death. Colonel G.P. Symes, the Coroner for South Dorset, heard evidence that John died under anaesthetic administered at the hospital where he had had teeth extracted.

Lance Corporal George Swingler of the 8th Battalion gave evidence that John first went into a camp at Bovington and then, approximately seven weeks before his death, moved to camp at Lulworth. He continued, stating that on Friday 13 November 1914 John complained of a sore throat and subsequently attended hospital. On Sunday 15 November 1914 his throat became worse and a doctor ordered him to his tent to rest.

Tuesday night, 17 November 1914, the men in his tent were up all night with him. George Swingler sought assistance but was told by the RAMC that they could not find the doctor as they did not know where he was sleeping. John was eventually moved to Dorchester Hospital the following morning by private car.

Doctor Collard, the house surgeon at the hospital, gave evidence that he saw John on admission and found he had a large swelling under the jaw on the right side and also extensive swelling under the chin. This he attributed to a decaying tooth which he felt should be removed. John was subsequently given an anaesthetic and the tooth removed. Following this his breathing became difficult and he died never regaining consciousness. The doctor gave evidence that the swelling under the chin inhibited the breathing and in his weakened condition this led to syncope, the result of asphyxiation. He doubted that the anaesthetic itself caused any contribution o the death.

Charles S. Prideaux, dental surgeon, next gave evidence that he was obliged to administer gas for the extraction in consequence of the swollen condition of the patient’s mouth. He had performed this act in thousands of cases with no fatal results.

The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence, however the Coroner was most critical of his medical attendance at camp.

John was laid to rest in Fordington Cemetery, Dorchester in Grave New.691. He was the brother of Ernest and Edward Swinnerton, also commemorated on the Walsall roll of honour.

Which memorial is he on ?

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Steve, I don't have anything for the three men you have asked about. You could check either National Archives or Ancestry to confirm regiments and if you are sure that they were Walsall men it would be worth checking the index to the Walsall Pioneer which can be found at Walsall Local History Centre. Regards. Sue

• 4 weeks later...
I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

Sue,

I am trying to trace two brothers William S J Forrest and Ernest

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

Sue,

I am trying to trace two brother William SJ Forrest and Ernest Lloyd Forrest. Both names are listed on the Millport, Isle of Cumbrae War Memorial. I have identified from the local newspaper Ernest but not William. The article on Ernest states the the family moved to Walsall prior to the war.

Can you help?

Ian

PS sorry about the earlier half message, finger trouble!

Sue,

Thanks for you for your prompt reply.

Oh well, an other avenue closed.....

Ian

Ian, don't give up just yet. My index is of the 5,000plus photographs which appeared in the Walsall Observer. It is still possible that there was a report on your man. Quite often there was a report without photo, or photo without report. There is also the possibility that he appears in the other Walsall newspaper of the time: The Walsall Pioneer. Regards Sue

• 1 month later...

Sue - still new to this forum and need all the help I can get. I have been researching Frank Valentine Pearman of 28 Thorpe Road, Walsall (5th Battalion of the Ox and Bucks LI) who was killed near Arras 3rd May 1917. I remember visiting his wife in Rushall and would welcome any information you may have. Thank you. Tim Powell

Sue - still new to this forum and need all the help I can get. I have been researching Frank Valentine Pearman of 28 Thorpe Road, Walsall (5th Battalion of the Ox and Bucks LI) who was killed near Arras 3rd May 1917. I remember visiting his wife in Rushall and would welcome any information you may have. Thank you. Tim Powell
Hi Tim, and welcome to the Forum. The only person by the name of Pearman whose photograph appeared in the Walsall Observer was Wm Pearman of Albert Street. When I get a minute I will check the index for the other Walsall newspaper and get back to you. Good luck with the research. Sue

Hi Tim, I have just looked at Soldiers Died in the Great War and although it gives Frank's enlistment place as Walsall it gives his place of residence as Birmingham. It also records his place of birth as Stoke Poges, Bucks. In 1919 the Walsall Observer produced a list of all of the men whose names were to be included on the town's war memorial. Frank's name is not listed. If I find anything else of interest I will let you know. Regards Sue

Aneurin. I have now checked the index to the Walsall Pioneer and find that a photograph of Rev. Thomas Howell appeared 15-12-1917. Walsall Local History Centre have originals of the Pioneer which are in amazing condition and will produce a very good quality image. Hope that this is of interest. Sue

Sue,

Thanks for looking - you've got the right person anyway, his parents lived in Saltley, Birmingham.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Tim

I have this on him

Frank Valentine PEARMAN

Private 24272

5th Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

KiA in France on Thursday 3 May 1917

A native of Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, Frank was born to Francis and Sarah Valentine of 127, Ash Road, Saltley, Birmingham. At some stage the family resided at 18, Prince Street, Walsall, his father then being employed as a railway engine driver. Frank was married to Edith and lived with her at 28, Thorpe Road, Caldmore.

Enlisting in the Army at Birmingham, Frank was 33 years of age when he was killed on the first day of the Battle of Arras.

At 3.45am on the day of his death his battalion attacked east of Arras with “A” and “C” Companies leading, “B” and “D” Companies in support. As the battalion advanced they were struck by heavy machine gun fire from German positions at St. Rohart Factory, the Quarry and Triangle Wood. The Germans were forced to retire about 40 yards where they made a stand.

At about 10.45am the Germans counter attacked in 6 or 7 waves of 150 to 200 men in each wave. Although cut down by the battalion’s fire, the counter attack was successful forcing the battalion to retire to their start positions. Casualties amounted to 8 officers and 291 men killed or wounded from a battalion consisting of 12 officers and 523 men.

Frank has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial on Bay 6 and 7.

Can you add anymore please

Regards Graeme

Hello Sue and anyone who reads this post,

I would be most grateful if you can find anything on the following:

ALBERT STYCH lived in PARKER STREET, BLOXWICH

Suffolk Regiment 7th Battalion 40593 prior to this South Staffs Regiment 8281

Albert was awarded the Military Medal and was KIA on 28.04.1917

SAMUEL HENRY STYCH lived also in PARKER STREET, BLOXWICH

West Yorkshire Regiment 17th Battalion 17/1041

Samuel was KIA on 09.03.1916

Both the above surnames are sometimes written with an 'e' STYCHE.

WILLIAM G. CUSS or GEORGE WILLIAM CUSS of CANAL COTTAGE, FOSSEWAY, LICHFIELD.

Royal Field Artillery 174630

Finally, I have a silver pocket watch with the following inscription;

"Presented to Sapper E. Witcut by the parishioners of Pelsall for having won the Military Medal on July 31st 1917"

I believe the name to be ERNEST WITCUTT, Royal Engineers 86339 who lived in Pelsall.

Thank you for any information,

Paul.

Hi Paul and welcome to the Forum. I have a number of entries in the index, meaning that photographs and possible reports appeared in the Walsall Observer. Note the dates given are the dates which the photos appeared in the Observer.

A. Stych. Wounded. 15-7-1916

Albert Stych Medal. 18-11-1916

Albert Stych. Killed 26-5-1917

Joseph Stych. Wounded 24-8-1918

Samuel Stych. Killed 1-4-1916

The entry for Joseph just says Bloxwich whilst all the others say Parker Street Bloxwich.

Photographs of Albert, Joseph and Samuel also appear in another Walsall newspaper, The Walsall Pioneer on 26-5-1917, 2-6-1917 and 1-4-1916 respectively and show Joseph as being with the South Staffs.

I would suggest a visit to Walsall local History Centre to look at the entries and many other sources. Their number is 01922 721305.

I have nothing for the name Cuss in either the Observer or the Pioneer. As far as Sapper Witcutt is concerned you might like to contact Ken Wayman, author of an excellent book about the men of Pelsall: 'The True and Faithful Men'. Ken is a member of the Forum. There is nothing in either index for Ernest. Good luck with your research. Sue S.

Hello Sue,

Thank you for the information and quick response.

I will follow your suggestions and also look for the book you mention.

Samuel and Albert had a brother Joseph, but it has certainly been forgotten in the family if he served,

Thanks for this link and again for your time,

Paul.

Paul

Albert STYCH

Military Medal

Lance Corporal 40593

7th Battalion, Suffolk Regiment

Kia in France on Saturday 28 April 1917

post-10072-1256223878.jpg

Albert was born in Short Heath, Willenhall to Richard and Agnes Stych of Back Lane, Short Heath, his father working as a coal miner. The family later resided at 102, Parker Street, Bloxwich. He was the brother of Samuel, also commemorated on the roll of honour. Educated at Elmore Green School, Albert later found employment as a miner at the Fair Lady Colliery.

Enlisting at Bloxwich on Tuesday 22 April 1913 in the South Staffordshire Regiment, with the service number 8281, he was drafted to the front on Friday 5 March 1915. During the fighting on the first day of the Somme Offensive he wounded in both arms while bomb throwing and was returned to hospital at Birkenhead for treatment, returning to his battalion on Friday 29 September 1916. At this time he was transferred to the Suffolk Regiment.

Albert was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry whilst serving at Neuville St. Vaast when his company was blown up by a mine.

Albert was killed during the Battle of Arras at 21 years of age. On the day of his death his battalion made an attack on the German held ‘Bayonet’ and ‘Rifle’ Trenches in front of their positions at Hulluch. The attack was to be made by the 5th Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment with Albert’s battalion taking over once the first objective had been taken.

The attack commenced at 4.25am with the Berkshire Regiment capturing Bayonet Trench and 150 yards of Rifle Trench without much difficulty. As Albert’s battalion tried to pass through at 5.05am it met heavy machine gun fire from Rœux and was unable to continue to its objectives. Heavy casualties were taken consolidating the positions gained and attempting to take the rest of Rifle Trench.

He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial on Bay 4, on the Walsall and Bloxwich rolls of honour and on the roll of honour at All Saints Church, Bloxwich.

Samuel Henry STYCH

Private 17/1041

17th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Own)

Died in France on Thursday 9 March 1916

post-10072-1256223974.jpg

A married man with three children, Samuel resided at 158, Bridgman Street, Walsall with his family. His parents, Richard and Agnes, resided at 102, Parker Street, Bloxwich as did his brother, Albert, who is also commemorated on the roll of honour. He enlisted in December 1914 at Pontefract where he was working as a miner residing at 63, Burton Street, Moorthorpe, Yorkshire. He was the eldest of four brothers who served.

Samuel was killed within six weeks of being drafted to the front. At the time his battalion were in the region of La Gorgue, south west of Armentières. The War Diary records that both sides shelled each other during the day and that 3 patrols were sent out by the battalion. Samuel was the only casualty this day.

“9 March 1916 – Our artillery bombarded enemy from 10.20am-12 noon. 300 shrapnel fired. Working party of Germans on extreme left stopped by our sniperswhile repairing breach made in their parapet by our artillery. Enemy knocked in our parapet at 17.30.1.Numerous shells fell 50 yards in rear of 17.30.1 about 11.40am. Three patrols went out at night, one from each Company. One officer and three men from right and centre Companies, one officer and four men from left Company. Patrol from right Company discovered an enemy machine gun firing over parapet in Crater 34. Not much information owing to darkness. Weather cold, sleet and snow at times.”

Samuel is buried in Rue-Du-Bacquerot No. 1 Military Cemetery, Laventie in Grave II.F.1 and is also commemorated on the Walsall, Bloxwich and All Saints Church, Bloxwich rolls of honour. He was 25 years of age.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Sue

Do you have any information on the following men all born in Walsall?

7769 Richard Bailey

8435 Joseph Cownley

7594 Richard Fellows

8232 Alfred Millword

9572 Ellis Price

7595 Harry Russon

All served with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

Regards

Peter

Hi Graeme,

Thank you so much for your information and photographs.

Very strange feeling to look at a photograph of an ancestor you never met.

My father will also be very grateful and interested, when he was a lad any questions he asked of his uncles were always answered to sound as a bit of a friendly 'joke', to put further questions off I guess?

Thanks once again,

Paul.

Peter

I have this on Ellis Price, can you add anymore, please ie War Diary entries?

Ellis PRICE

Private 9572

2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment

DoW in France on Monday 28 September 1914

post-10072-1256270864.jpg

The youngest son of John and Martha Price, formerly of 62, George Street, Walsall, Ellis’s father was a green grocer. He was drafted to France on Wednesday 12 August 1914 and died in hospital at Le Mans of wounds received in action, aged 28 years.

Married to Clara and residing at 38, Wolverhampton Street, Ellis enlisted in the Army at Worcester. Upon leaving the Army having served his time he emigrated to Canada but returned to England 2 months prior to the outbreak of hostilities, being called up on reserve. Wounded in action he was removed to the hospital centre at Le Mans where he succumbed to his injuries.

At the time of his wounding his battalion were engaged in constant engagements with the enemy in the region of Verneuil, France however the actual date of his wounding is not recorded.

Ellis is buried in Le Mans West Cemetery, Sarthe in Grave A.38.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Peter, My index was done in 1998 as part of a book giving local sources for Great War research. As such I chose to include addresses in the index at the expense of regiments and so I cannot confirm the regiments for the following and so cannot say whether they are the men you are looking for but here goes,

Millward. No initial. Whitehall Road. Killed. Observer date 23-6-1917

E. Price. No address.Gave Life. Observer date 12-12-1914

Harry Russon. Ryecroft Street. Wounded. Observer date 17-7-1915.

Nothing for the others I am afraid. regards Sue