Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Dear Sue S,

Having just come across your post, I wonder if you might be able to do a look up for me on a POW of August 1914 who was taken in Belgium on 26/8/14. His name was Edwin Charles Bloxham of the Royal Field Artllery.

He may not appear in the information you have as Im not sure where he was living in Brum at the time of enlistement, but I'd like to try if possible. If you can help I'd be very grateful. He was my grandfather. Thanks Ann

Sorry Ann, your grandfather does not appear in the index. The Birmingham Post or Mail is more likely for Birmingham men. Sue S

Dear Sue,

Thanks very much for looking for me.

I have since been told by a super chap on the forum that he was reported missing and wounded on 29/8/1914.

Thanks for checking up for me.

Ann

Hi Sue

Dont suppose somewhere in those 5000+ photos etc therd be any Lincolnshire Regiment fingers crossed

Regards John

Guest paulkelly
I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

John, I am not able to search by regiment only by name. if you are able to give me a name I will willingly search for you.

Paulk, Can't see your question on your posting, would you like to try again? Sue

• 1 month later...

sue ,

can you please look for 12005 sgt alfred titley dcm of the south staffs,

the walsall peace programme lists him as tittley! so can you look under that name as well!

thankyou

beardie

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying, we have been away. Lichfield is outside of the area covered by the Observer, but if you have a specific name you are interested in I will have a look for you just in case they lived in some of the areas which are on the Lichfield side of the Walsall area. regards Sue S

Not sure whether I have already responded to you Beardie but there is no Alfred Tittley/Titley in the index.

John, you sent me a PM regarding anyone suffering from shell-shock. Unfortunately the index is not computerised and I would have to look through all 5,000 entries to see which ones were listed as shell-shocked. The index does make a brief mention of why a man's photograph appeared in the newspaper, but those who were shell-shocked were often just listed as invalided. Sorry not to be of more help. Sue

Thanks Sue,

A few:

Francis H Yates died 3.9.1916 :Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Thomas Emery died 2.9.1918 aged 23 from Walsall:RGA

John Mullarkey died 19.7.1917 aged 38 from Walsall: South Staffs

Thomas W Smith died 9.5.1915 aged 26 from Brownhills: Sherwood Foresters

Would Stonall or Wall be included?

John

Not sure whether I have already responded to you Beardie but there is no Alfred Tittley/Titley in the index.

John, you sent me a PM regarding anyone suffering from shell-shock. Unfortunately the index is not computerised and I would have to look through all 5,000 entries to see which ones were listed as shell-shocked. The index does make a brief mention of why a man's photograph appeared in the newspaper, but those who were shell-shocked were often just listed as invalided. Sorry not to be of more help. Sue

hi sue you already replyed to me!

you told me you would search for sgt titley in the other paper when yer book is finished!

hows it going?

beardie

Sorry John, none of the men you listed are included in the index. I am not aware of any entries for Stonall or Wall but it always worth looking for a name. Photos often appeared of men who had only a slight connection with Walsall eg they may have lived in the town as a baby and moved away, but still have relatives in the town who would send their details to the newspaper when they were killed, wounded etc.

I don't mind checking any you want to send me. Sue

Hi Beardie, I thought that I had replied to you but was'nt sure. I could blame the stress of publishing a book for my uncertainty but I suspect that it was just one of many 'senior moments.' I have to pop into the History Centre next week and so I will check the Pioneer index for Alfred Tittley.

I am at the scary stage of the book: the part where I stop tinkering with it and let the printer have it. Writing a book is exciting and scary in equal measure and quite why people like me do it I don't know. Walsall Council published my three previous books and so all I had to do was the easy bit ie write them. I did'nt have to get involved with copyright, marketing, advertising etc etc it was all done for me. We are still confident of having the book available in November.

Thanks for you interest. I will post again when I have checked the Pioneer for you. Regards. Sue

Thanks for checking. It was an outside chance. The one I expected to be included was not, one F Yates. He is listed as from Highgate, Walsall.

The other two are Alick Horobin and Howard Horobin who were born in Stonnall. I know it is borderline, but one can only hope. Died 24.9.17 and 1.7.16

William Dickin 18.12.1917 aged 21

John

Sorry John, no luck with the other names which you sent me. I have to go to the History Centre next week and will check the index for the other Walsall newspaper, the Pioneer, for F. Yates. Will let you know. Sue

Sorry John, Francis Yates does not appear in the Pioneer index.

Bad news for you too Beardie, there is no entry for A. Tittley/Titley.

I should however point out that the indexes for both the Observer and the Pioneer are indexes of photographs not reports. It is still possible that your men are mentioned but to compile such an index would take years for a town like Walsall.

If there are any others please ask. Sue

Sorry John, Francis Yates does not appear in the Pioneer index.

Bad news for you too Beardie, there is no entry for A. Tittley/Titley.

I should however point out that the indexes for both the Observer and the Pioneer are indexes of photographs not reports. It is still possible that your men are mentioned but to compile such an index would take years for a town like Walsall.

If there are any others please ask. Sue

thankyou sue for looking

beardie

• 2 weeks later...

Sue,

Name: SWANN

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 17/02/1917

Service No: 30262

Do have anything for the above

Thanks

PDR

Hi PDR, I have the following entry which appears to be the man you are looking for. Arthur Swann. Adams Street Walsall. Killed. The Walsall Observer date where you will find his photograph is 17th March 1917. Good luck with your research Sue

Hi Jon, the index is not computerised and, as it has more than 5,000 entries and they are arranged in alphabetical order of surname, it would take a while to look through the index for Cheslyn Hay entries. There are some entries for Cheslyn Hay men. I can only suggest that you either request a copy of my book from the library or visit Walsall Local History Centre where there are copies on the shelf. It is called Walsall Servicemen 1914-18: a Guide to research. The complete index is in the back of the book. Regards Sue

Sue,

Thanks for the help with my great uncle Arthur SWANN, I will be searching out the picture as soon as possible. Before I do is there any possibility of checking the only other two names for me. They are Richard SWANN (Arthurs brother), he survived the war. The last is my grandfather Enoch REEVES he also survived.

Thanks PDR