Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Hi Sue and Graeme,

Thank you both for your feedback on my posting. The photograph of Pte. Ellis Price is much appreciated Graeme.

The Millward (spelt wrongly in my posting as millword, sorry) is not my man, I checked on GWGC site and ten A. Millwards listed 1914-18, 33 Millwards listed for 1917, (army). Harry Russon could be ok but without his regimental number not 100% sure.

Ellis Price married Clara Cooper, Walsall 1908.

Graeme I have a copy of 2nd Battalion Worcesters war diary for 1914. On the date Ellis Price died from his wounds (Soldiers Died in the Great War 14-19 simply says died) the Battalion were in billets at the farm of La Cour des Moines for rest and refit. Employed entrenching a second position. Standing by ready to reinforce. (22nd September till 28th September). Prior to these dates the Battalion suffered casualties on 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st September. If you require any particular information from the diary please let me know.

I have a database of just over 1600 men who served with the 2nd Battalion Worcesterhire Regiment 1914 (August - December), The Old Contemtiples. If you think you have any information on 2nd Btn. Worcesters for this period I would be very pleased to hear from you. If I can help anyone with information from the database please ask.

Again thank you Sue and Graeme for your replies.

Regards

Peter

Peter,

Hi. Thanks for the extra bit on Ellis. Yes, you are correct SDGW does say 'died'. I have double checked the papers and they are insisting that he 'Died of wounds' but record that it was on 2 October 1914 !!!!

post-10072-1256320190.jpg

I have a couple of other 1914 ers on the RoH :- (died is generic)

Richard KING

Private 7560

2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment

Died in Belgium on Saturday 31 October 1914

Richard was married to Martha and lived with her at 125, Portland Street, Walsall. He enlisted in the Army at Dudley and served for 12 years, 4 of which were in India. Whilst on reserve Richard was employed as an annealer at Parkes Limited of Blue Lane, Walsall

Recalled to the colours on Tuesday 4 August 1914, he was drafted to France on Wednesday 12 August 1914 and killed during a battalion counter attack at Gheluvelt. At 12.45pm on the day of his death “A” Company moved forward to positions on a railway embankment north of Gheluvelt and fired on the Germans for the next two hours. The remainder of the battalion advanced to Black Watch Corner by 2pm and continued into Reutelbeek Valley. “A” and “D” Companies then charged across the Polderhoek Bridge with “B” Company in support but lost about 100 men to the enemy’s artillery. The charge then continued into the grounds of Gheluvelt Chateau where the Germans were dislodged.

Richard was 33 years of age when reported as missing after the engagement. He is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial on Panel 34. Returning comrades brought the news that Richard had been shot through the lungs.

George Henry PEACH

Lance Corporal 8316

Died in France on Sunday 20 September 1914

post-10072-1256320306.jpg

A local man, George resided at 142, Miner Street, Walsall with his wife, Ellen, and their two children aged 3½ and 2 years at the time of his death.

Employed for six years at Wood Farm Colliery, he had an interest in rescue work and attended a course of instruction at the Mines Rescue Station, Hednesford. He qualified as a member of the Cannock Chase Coal Owner’s Rescue Brigade.

George enlisted at Wednesbury and was recalled as a reservist being drafted to the Continent with the First Expeditionary Force on Wednesday 12 August 1914.

On the day of his death his battalion were in the region of Verneuil. The Germans attacked in the immediate area and the battalion was used to strengthen and hold the line. Two companies counter attacked the Germans at 11am and successfully took an enemy trench but were unable to retain possession. Casualties for this day were 9 killed, 5 wounded and 16 missing.

One of the ‘missing’, George is commemorated on the La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial and on the memorial at St. Andrew’s Church, Birchills. He was 27 years old when he died.

Robert SIMMONS

Private 8416

Died in France on Tuesday 15 September 1914

Robert was born in Walsall, the son of John and Louisa Simmons of 13, Green Lane, Walsall, his father, a boiler cleaner, predeceasing him. Louisa then married Edward Stokes, the family residing at 69, Farringdon Street, Walsall.

Robert was a married man with a child of 12 years of age at the time of his death. Resident at 53, Ann Street, Ryecroft he was employed as a caster’s help when recalled to the Army at the outbreak of hostilities. At that time he had served for 9 years on the reserve list.

Rejoining his battalion at Aldershot he was immediately drafted to the front and was mortally wounded while his battalion were in possession of Tilleul Spur.

At midday on Monday 14 September 1914 the Germans counter attacked along the spur from Courteçon but were driven back. The battalion then advanced with 1st Battalion, King’s Royal Rifle Corps and 2nd Battalion, Highland Light Infantry and, by 9pm, had set up positions on a ridge overlooking Courteçon. As these positions were unsupportable the battalions fell back to the southern end of Tilleul Spur.

Casualties for the day amounted to 11 killed and 58 wounded. The following day the lines were shelled resulting in a further 2 men killed and 7 wounded.

Wounded during the aforementioned, Robert succumbed to his injuries and is buried in Vendresse British Cemetery, Aisne in Grave III.D.2. He was 31 years of age.

His surname is recorded as Simmons on all official documentation, including the 1901 census, whilst the roll of honour records his name as Simmonds.

Thomas WHEELEY

Private 7687

Died in Belgium on Saturday 24 October 1914

Enlisting in the Army in Dudley in 1902, Thomas spent eight years in the Army, five of which were spent in India where he acted as a scout instructor.

Upon leaving the Army he began working for Walker Brothers Limited of Pleck Road, Walsall as a tank maker. His home at this time was at 59, Hollyhedge Lane with his parents Thomas and Ann Wheeley, his father working as a brown saddler.

Had the war not intervened his time on reserve would have expired in March 1915 however, at the outbreak of hostilities, he was recalled to the colours.

Drafted to France on Friday 11 September 1914, his battalion were in an area north of St. Julien, Belgium where, on Wednesday 21 October 1914, they were forced to dig in and hold their positions. Over the next few days their lines were continuously attacked and shelled by the enemy. The trenches were almost destroyed by the shelling and the men were exhausted from lack of sleep. The War Diary records that the missing men, of whom Thomas was one, were almost certainly killed and buried by the shellfire. The battalion was only relieved the day after Thomas’s death.

He was 31 years old when he died and is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial on Panel 34 and on the memorial at St. Andrew’s Church, Birchills.

David Henry BLOWER

Private 4986

Died in Belgium on Wednesday 21 October 1914

A native of Walsall, David resided in Walsall and enlisted at Birmingham, most probably a regular soldier. He was drafted to France on Tuesday 11 August 1914.

During Tuesday 20 October 1914 his battalion advanced from Elverdinghe and Boesinghe to Pilckem Ridge where they took up position. The following day the battalion advanced to crossroads north of St. Julien and engaged the Germans at about 9.30am. Confused fighting took place with the battalion being forced to dig in and hold their positions.

Casualties of 2 officers and 16 other ranks killed, 39 other ranks wounded and 3 missing were taken.

David is buried in Perth Cemetery (China Wall) near Ypres in Grave XIV.A.12.

Agaiun another info (especially WD extracts) would be most helpful.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thank you for the information and photograph, it is most appreciated.

Richard King married Martha Madeley, Walsall June Q. 1913.

George Peach married Ellen Smith, Lichfield December Q. 1911.

Graeme if you let me have your email I can send you a copy of 2nd Bt. Worcesters War Diary for 1914.

My apologies Sue for using your posting, I hope you don't mind.

Regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Graeme

Thank you very much for the reply - newish to the forum so still finding my way round and hadn't realised you had replied.

I had been able to work out some of what you said and visited Cherisy this summer.

How did you find the casualty figures ?

My next project is to research my mother's uncle, Norman Partington, of 1/7 Lancashire Fusiliers who was killed at Gallipoli - wish me well!

Hi,

Any details on my wifes great uncle, died at Gommecourt, 01/07/16.

Name: BURNS, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 9683

Additional information: Son of John and Susannah Burns, of 22, Cherry Orchard, Old Hill, Staffs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. L. 12.

Cemetery: FONCQUEVILLERS MILITARY

Much obliged,

Graham.

Graham

Again, apologise to Sue, whose thread this is, but I can add a bit.

He's not in the listing as its too far out.

I can tell you that he was 'sent to hospital' on 14 November 1915 and, as you say, killed on 1 July 1916.

He served in D Company and is not memtioned by name in the War Diaries.

He was drafted to France on 28 June 1915.

Do you have the usual bits, ie MIC, SDGW, War Diary for date odf death etc.

Regards,

Graeme

Sue

Do you have anything of Pte. John Lee No. 21823 of the 148th Machine Gun Corps at all? Formerly with The South Staffs 1/6thBn. No. 3248. He was KiA on 3/7/17 near Neuve Chapelle.

Nothing in the Express & Star - just wondered if there was anything in the Walsall papers?

Many Thanks

Paul

Graham

Again, apologise to Sue, whose thread this is, but I can add a bit.

He's not in the listing as its too far out.

I can tell you that he was 'sent to hospital' on 14 November 1915 and, as you say, killed on 1 July 1916.

He served in D Company and is not memtioned by name in the War Diaries.

He was drafted to France on 28 June 1915.

Do you have the usual bits, ie MIC, SDGW, War Diary for date odf death etc.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Nice name! Thanks for the reply.

Yes, we have looked at the War Diary and have his MIC. He is also on a local Roll of Honour as one of the 'Gallant Eighty' who signed up with local men of Rowley Regis, Old Hill, Cradley Heath, to form part of the 5th South Staffs Territorials. Not sure what SDGW is?

The family don't have any photos of him, pre-war or otherwise, so we are trying to go back through all the local papers, etc. hoping there is an obituary photo, etc. My father-in-law mentions he has seen a photo of the 5th South Staffs marching through Walsall - I think they may have had their barracks there? - hence we thought there may have been something in the Walsall papers. We have also tried the County Express but with no luck. Obviously as there were thousands of soldiers killed that day, it's probably a lost cause in terms of an obituary photo, but hopefully one may turn up.

The next step is a trip to the Staffordshire Regiment Museum. There may be a pre-war battalion photo or something like that?

Thanks

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Sue

Would it be possible for you to search your database to see if there is any reference to John William Kendall, MM. The London Gazette of the 12 March 1918 announces the award of the Military Medal thus:

5121 L./C. (A./.Cpl.) J. W. Kendall, M.G. Corps (Walsall).

Many thanks in advance

mrfish

><(((((*>

Hi, I have checked both the Walsall Observer and the Walsall Pioneer and found the following entries which may be him.

Walsall Observer date 18-5-1918. John Kendall of Hart Street Walsall. Prisoner of War.

Walsall Pioneer date 1-6-1918. John Kendall M.G.C. Prisoner of War.

I believe that Walsall Local History Centre will provide copies. If you want to give them a call. their number is 01922 721305. Good luck with your research. Sue

Many thanks, Sue, that's brilliant! I will follow up your information with the Centre as suggested. I can't thank you enough for your time and effort on this important project, related to my home town.

Best wishes

mrfish

><(((((*>

• 2 months later...
sue ,

can you please look for 12005 sgt alfred titley dcm of the south staffs,

the walsall peace programme lists him as tittley! so can you look under that name as well!

thankyou

beardie

Hi Beardie

This is my second day in this forum and notice you were enquiring about Alfred Tittley. I know this is a very late response but maybe I can shed some light on this person. This fellow was my grandfather. Though his surname as a single T it is in fact TT in the middle. I have a couple of things at work such as his demob papers, his cap badge, the citation for his DCM signed at Lichfield and a letter from King George. If you need to know anything I will gladly try and help.

Regards.

Paul

Quick, Paul, answer another 4 posts and you will be able to send and receive PM's [newbies need to have made 5 posts before the gates open :thumbsup: ]

BTW, welcome to the Forum

Hi Graeme,

Nice name! Thanks for the reply.

Yes, we have looked at the War Diary and have his MIC. He is also on a local Roll of Honour as one of the 'Gallant Eighty' who signed up with local men of Rowley Regis, Old Hill, Cradley Heath, to form part of the 5th South Staffs Territorials. Not sure what SDGW is?

The family don't have any photos of him, pre-war or otherwise, so we are trying to go back through all the local papers, etc. hoping there is an obituary photo, etc. My father-in-law mentions he has seen a photo of the 5th South Staffs marching through Walsall - I think they may have had their barracks there? - hence we thought there may have been something in the Walsall papers. We have also tried the County Express but with no luck. Obviously as there were thousands of soldiers killed that day, it's probably a lost cause in terms of an obituary photo, but hopefully one may turn up.

The next step is a trip to the Staffordshire Regiment Museum. There may be a pre-war battalion photo or something like that?

Thanks

Graham.

graham,

they did not start enlisting men into rowley regis company at old hill til october 1914 , so pre -war battalion photos will be no help!

enoch

p.s. sdgw is soldiers died in great war

Quick, Paul, answer another 4 posts and you will be able to send and receive PM's [newbies need to have made 5 posts before the gates open :thumbsup: ]

BTW, welcome to the Forum

Hi

Thanks for the tip. This is my third post....I can see them gates opening soon!!!

Paul

Beardie

I am off on hols for a week so look forward to hearing from you when I get back.

Paul

ok paul i will pm you my email address , when you have 5 posts

beardie

Hello Sue

I wonder if you would check your index for Pte John Cooper 3609 1/6 SS, Died of Wounds 3/7/16 whilst a POW and buried Favreuil. He was a Bilston man so a bit out of your normal area but there's no mention in E&S.

regards

Andy

PS Alan tells me you won't be at Wton WFA in March. Quite understandable, but hope to see you there next year.