Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Can I just say that I have a copy of Sue's index and it is indeed invaluable. In fact I just bought a second copy yesterday as the first has succumbed to extended use. I know it has really helped me to put flesh on the bones of many Walsall men I have been researching over the years. I was born, bred and live in the Birchills area of Walsall, in close proximity to the Parish Church of St. Andrews. There is a wonderful Memorial located on the back outside wall of the Church, overlooking the canal, that records the names of around 300 men of the Congregation and Parish. If anyone wishes I could take photographs of any relevant names as long as I'm given a little time. The same goes for the Memorial on the steps of St. Matthews and the graves in Ryecroft Cemetery. But as I say, please bear with me regarding time as I have mobility problems.

I too am unsure about forum rules on advertising. Bearing this in mind, however, I'm sure an enquiry at the History Centre might put you on the right track. Believe me, it's worth it. If this last sentence is deemed to be unacceptable to the administration team here then I apologise. Please feel free to remove any inappropriate content.

Finally, I'd just like to thank Sue enormously for the enormous amount of help her index has provided for me personally.

Regards,

Kevin Mears

I'll add St Michael the Archangel (Rushall) to Kevin's list - part of the Bank Holiday is to find the 6 (or so) CWG's that St Michael has.

JRN.

Make sure you take a good look at the Calvary too, that is a War Memorial and makes an excellent photo if you can get it with the Church in the background. It also looks absolutely stunning at night.

Regards,

Kevin Mears

I hope you have something on my grandfather. He was from Wolverhamton, and served in the 9th South Staffordshire from 1915-17. his name was

Percival Arthur Nevill - number 9/15008.

Many thanks

David

Hi David

Not meaning to hijack Sues thread. I have my index of Wolverhampton's Express & Star unfortunately he is not mentioned in this index.

Regards Doug.

Thanks Kevin - can't quite see all the church from my house, but agree about a 'nightshot'. Walked (and run!) passed it a million times but only seem to go when I'm voting (the Church Hall is used as a ballot office). Shame on me!

Hi Sue,

thanks very much for looking up so quickly.....i appreciate that.....the Billinghams you mention don't seem to fit any of 'my Billinghams'.....but i do thank you for your time and effort...your doing a great job...you link everybody up...it's like a huge jig-saw puzzle putting the lost pieces together....it helps so much.

Kind regards

Freda

Hi and thanks for your kind comments. My purpose in publishing the book was to help anyone researching Walsall men and I am glad that ten years after its publication it is still proving useful.

I have spoken to the moderators myself about advertising. I make no profit from my books as my fees are donated to charity, and I am happy to continue to search the index for anyone who asks. The book is available at local libraries or via the inter-library loan service, and copies were given to Staffordshire Regimental Museum if anyone wants a closer look.

Jonathan, I did look for your Abel Day but found only Phillip and William Day. Sorry.

Happy Easter. Sue S

Sue - thanks very much for looking. I believe that Abel is my wife's great uncle but haven't got definitive proof. I'll have to keep on looking!

Enjoy the long weekend!

Hi Sue

Anything on Gnr L/44188 Robert Williams from Pleck in Walsall?

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Robert William WILLIAMS

Gunner 44188

“B” Battery, 175th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

Died in France on Thursday 21 June 1917

Employed on the local railways, Robert was a single man who lived with his parents at 13, Miner Street, Birchills. He enlisted in the Army at Lichfield and spent 17 months on active service before his death.

He was wounded while in action and was removed to hospital at Wimmereux where he succumbed to his injuries at 25 years of age.

Robert is buried in Wimmereux Communal Cemetery, north of Boulogne, in Grave II.M.17 is commemorated on the memorial at St. Andrew’s Church, Birchills.

Graeme

Hi David, the only thing which I would add to the info Graeme has already given you is that there is an entry in the Walsall Observer for a W. William of Miner Street. The entry records that he had died and was dated 7-7-1917. There is also an entry for Sidney Williams at the same address and he was described as wounded.

The only R. Williams is from Raleigh Street and his entry appears as wounded 6-4-18.

Best wishes. sue s

Dave,

PS Can you add anything to the above at all ?

Thanks, Graeme

Graeme /sue

Thanks for looking. The only thing I can add is that (from the war diary), on 16th July, B/175 had moved to a new position near Fusilier Farm ( U8C, Ploegsteert 28 SW.4), taking part in the messines offensive). At 2pm on the 17th they were subjected to 10 minutes intense bombardment by 15cm . 5 men wounded, and one gun destroyed. 3 of the men died of their wounds, L/44188 Robert William Williams being one.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Is that June or July from the WD ? (I presume it should be June).

Regards,

Graeme (from not quite so sunny Walsall Wood)

Dave,

Is that June or July from the WD ? (I presume it should be June).

Regards,

Graeme (from not quite so sunny Walsall Wood)

It's June.

Me Missis is from "The wood", she even misses it!

Dave

Hi Sue,

You've obviously got a lot on, did you miss my post no 99.

any help much appreciated.

eskimo.

Hi Eskimo, I am so sorry, I did miss your post. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I am pretty much up to my neck in writing at the moment, but do try to respond to posts within a couple of days.

There are no Stintons in the index, although there are several Stantons. It is always possible that either the newspaper may have mis-spelt a name or I could have transcribed it incorrectly. If you can give me Christian names I will have a look through the Stantons to see if there are any possibilities. Apologies again for the delay. Sue S

Dave.

Regarding Robert Williams, if you would like a photograph of his family home in Miner Street or pictures of the Memorial at St Andrews, please let me know as I live about 100 yards from both. PM me an email address and I would be happy to oblige.

Regards,

Kevin Mears

Hi Sue,

Thanks for that, could be one is a Stinton misspelt as Stanton.

Here are the Stintons...

Arkeless 241829 York and Lancs

Alex c/7337 Kings and Lancs

Charles 8687 Lancs reg

Fredrick 13458 Roy Fus

Herbert 4733 Husssars

James 12341 Devon

Kennedy 652408 London reg

Leopold s/6354 Rifle Brig

Stanley 6090 Hussars

William 9387 Northlum Fus

William 14065 Royal Fus

William 66906 Northlum Fus

Walter 74185 Worcs Reg

Much appreciate your help

Regards eskimo.

Hi Eskimo I have checked the Stantons listed in the index against your list and have:

J Stanton Lumley Road Walsall Newspaper date 8-6-1918. Reason Awarded Croix De Guerre

Jas. " " " " " " 9-11-1918 " Medal.

James Stanton Blakenall " " 15-1-1916 " Presumed Fallen.

Just in case you have'nt looked already, there are a number of Stintons listed amongst the military records on Ancestry. If you don't have access at home it is worth contacting a local library or record office. Best wishes. Sue

Hi again Eskimo, not sure what happened with the previous post. It does not appear on the Forum as I typed it, but hope that you understand it. Sue S

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the info I will have a look at ancestry.

Best wishes.

eskimo.

Sorry Sue, keep imposing on your postings.

Harry HARBAN

Gunner 99958

35th Battery, 22nd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

Died in Belgium on Thursday 25 October 1917

An ex pupil of Wolverhampton Road School, Harry was a single man who lived with his parents, Harry and Annie Harban, at 63, Long Street, Walsall. He gave up his employment as a brass caster at John Guest and Sons of Wolverhampton Road, Walsall when enlisting in the Army at Darlaston in April 1915.

Drafted to the front in June 1915 he was wounded in September 1917 while in a dugout but recovered sufficiently to return to his battery.

He was killed serving in the Third Ypres Battle at 21 years of age whilst his battery was situated at Tuilleries near Zillebeke.

The War Diary for the day of his death merely records

“Firing carried out by batteries.”

Harry is buried in Hooge Crater Cemetery, Ypres in Grave V.H.12.

It is probable that Harry is commemorated on the roll of honour at St Johns Church, Pleck as Harry Harborne.

Can you add anymore to this, Sandcroft, please?

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Sandcroft and Graeme, No need to apologise Graeme, anything which helps another researcher is always welcome.

Sandcroft, Harry's photograph can be seen in the Walsall Observer dated 24-11-1917. It is possible to get copies from the microfilm for 50p. If you can't attend in person I would suggest that you give Walsall Local History Centre a ring on 01922 721305. As you have the date of the newspaper I doubt that they will charge you a reseach fee to provide a copy.

If you are able to attend in person there are lots of other places to look for information, including another newspaper, The Walsall Pioneer which also has an index. Harrys name was in the list of Walsall's war dead, published at the end of the war, and will therefore be in the town's memorial book and recorded on the memorial tablets in the Town Hall.

Hope this is of help. Best wishes Sue