Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Hi Sue,

Just a quick message, i am currently trying to research my great uncle who served with the Royal Warks Regt. Died 25/10/18 ?

His name was Harry Charles Rounds died aged 18, and has a grave over at Ryecroft in Walsall, any information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

Ray

This is all I have, unfortunately, any other information gratefully received.

Harry Charles ROUNDS

Private TR7/27553

51st Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Died in England on Friday 25 October 1918

Harry was the son of Mr and Mrs Arthur Rounds of 8, Walhouse Road, Walsall.

Enlisting in Walsall, Harry was 18 years of age when he died at home. He is buried in Ryecroft Cemetery, Walsall in Grave 8.3.734.

At the time of his death his battalion were at Henham Park, near Southwold, Suffolk.

The Soldiers Died in the Great War places Harry in the 15th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment. (In October 1917 the 262nd Graduated Battalion (Formerly 93rd Training Reserve Battalion from the 15th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment) was at Ipswich in 216th Brigade, 72nd Division. It then became the 51st Battalion. In January 1918 the 72nd Division was broken up and the battalion went to the 205th Brigade, 68th Division at Lowestoft. )

Graeme

re. Harry Charles Rounds. His name does not appear in the index. I would suggest that you try the index to the Walsall Pioneer if you are able to visit Walsall Local History Centre. You might also try the memorial verses in the Walsall Observer. They may tell you a bit more. I have a copy of the original Walsall Roll of Honour which was published in July 1919 as the list of names which would to be recorded on the towns war memorial plaques and book. Harry Charles Rounds does not appear in the list as far as I can see. A few names were added later so it is worthwhile going to the Town Hall to check whether his name is on there. I would be interested to know whether you find him. Sue S

Hi sue,

I have benn trying to trace the activities of my Grandfather David Thomas Gee Pvt no. 199 1/5th battalion south staffs.

I know from his M.I.C that he was sent overseas in the summer of 1915 and that he was sent home december of that year with stomach problems(courtesy of the south staffs museum) he then returned in the new year and was mortally wounded between 2-4th april when he died.I have the original letter which was sent to my Nan ,written on, what is rapidly deteriating tissue paper ,From a Lt goodison, which was written on the 6th and was quoted in the observer on the 17th.I am also extremely lucky in having his little green army bible and a large cross which I assume he carried in his pocket as it has a large chunk missing from what I assume was the shrapnel that killed him.

I also have a second mystery which I would like your opinion on, Involving a Dr Arthur Clarence Dixon,of Kenmare House,55 Bridge street.I have come into possession of his War office documents ,stating his terms of service,and pay.I wonder whether he would have served as dr to the south staffs and even, although doubtful, could have tended my grandfather .

regards

David Gee

re. Harrry Charles Rounds. I popped into Walsall Town Hall today and I am pleased to say that his name does appear on the memorial plaques. Best wishes. Sue

Hello Tod. A photograph of your grandfather appears in the Walsall Observer on the 15th April 1916 when it says that he was presumed killed. His residence is given as Foster Street ,Blakenall. There is likely to be a report of his death and war service on the same page , but this is not always the case. If it is not there it is always worth trying the following weeks edition.

There is no mention of Arthur Clarence Dixon in the index. Perhaps the Regimental Museum may have some information. Sue S

Tod,

I have the following on your man, hope it adds something.

David Thomas GEE

Private 199

“D” Company, 1/5th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Died in France on Tuesday 4 April 1916

David was a married man with five children whose ages ranged from eleven years to two years when he died. Tragically his wife had a baby whilst he was at the front but this died shortly afterwards.

He was born in Bloxwich to Mr and Mrs John Gee, his mother predeceasing him, resided at 7, Foster Street, Blakenall and was employed at the Wood Farm Colliery. His brother, John, is also commemorated on the Walsall roll of honour.

Enlisting in the Army at Walsall in early 1915, David was invalided home from the front with a stomach problem. He recovered sufficiently to return to his battalion.

At the time of his death his battalion were holding trenches at Neuville, north of Arras. The trenches had just been captured from the Germans who were determined to regain possession and were using mines to achieve this.

A letter from an officer to his widow explained that he had been struck in the side by a fragment of shell and had died a few minutes afterwards. This would not appear to be the case as he died several miles from the lines at Aubigny where the 42nd and 30th Casualty Clearing Stations were situated.

Newspapers of the period intimate that David was killed in an explosion of a mine that occurred during Sunday 2 April 1916. It would seem likely that he was injured and was then removed to Aubigny for treatment, but succumbed two days later. He was 38 years of age.

The War Diary for this date records,

“Enemy artillery very active. O.65 and O.63 being heavily shelled. A whiz-bang exploded in O.S.65 killing 3 and wounding 6.”

David is buried in Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension in Grave I.A.22 and is commemorated on the Walsall and Bloxwich rolls of honour.

David is recorded on all official war agencies as ‘Thomas David’,the 1901 census confirms a Christian name of David.

Killed with David in the explosion were Privates 938 Samuel Bates of Walsall Wood, 554 Leonard Sutton of Birmingham and 9254 Archie William Price of Hockley. Also died of wounds was Corporal 7801 George Henry Maybury of Wednesbury.

Graeme

Hi once again Sue,

Thanks ever so much for the information, this is greatly appreciated, whilst at Walsall, is there any signs of a picture of him in the listings, as this would tie up a lot of things for my dads research.

Thanks once again to everybody who has helped.

Many thanks

re. Harrry Charles Rounds. I popped into Walsall Town Hall today and I am pleased to say that his name does appear on the memorial plaques. Best wishes. Sue

Hi Sue

Looks like you are pretty busy with this but wondered if you would have time to check these men who appear in SDGW for 9th Northumberland Fusilliers :

Edward Eagan 42379 DOD 22/04/1918

Fred Fullard 16870 DOD 23/04/1918

Charles Henry Cox 60244 DOD 24/10/1918

William Alfred Botwright 12928 DOD 29/02/1916

All give Walsall as their Pob tho only CH Cox enlisted there.

Many thanks for sharing your effort

Jan

Hi Sue

Looks like you are being kept busy with this. I hope you have something on my grandfather. He was from Wolverhamton, and served in the 9th South Staffordshire from 1915-17. his name was

Percival Arthur Nevill - number 9/15008.

I would be grateful if you find anything on him

Many thanks

David

Wolverhampton is out of the area for Walsall newspapers. There are three Nevills in the index but none called Arthur and none from Wolverhampton. Sorry not to have anything for you. Sue

Hi Jan, two of your men appear in the index. A photograph of an F Fullard appears in the Walsall Observer 11-5-1918. He was living at Hospital Street Walsall at the time At the same address there are entries for a William Fullard dated 9-10-1915 and another for W. Fullard dated 9-12-16.

A photograph of Charles Cox appears 16-11-1918. He lived at Sutton Crescent, Walsall with his wife and child. She had received the news of his death on Armistice day. He had been in the Army for two and a half years years and in France for 6 months. He was employed by Albert Jagger and Sons of Green Lane, Walsall. He was also taught shorthand at Chuckery evening school.

No trace of the other two. Best wishes Sue

Hello Paul. There is no one called Watts in the index and the only entries under Myatt are Arthur of Church Rd, Pelsall and Davidson Myatt of High Heath. Sorry not to be of help Sue S

Hello Paul. There is no one called Watts in the index and the only entries under Myatt are Arthur of Church Rd, Pelsall and Davidson Myatt of High Heath. Sorry not to be of help Sue S

no problem thanks for looking

paul

• 1 month later...

Hi Sue,

Hope your list of 'look ups' have gone down a bit....i've tried to wait.....

Anyway......Is it possible you could look up my great uncles please.....

Oliver Billingham...prte..8419...enlisted Walsall...pos.. before war in Territorials, 1/5th S Staffs..lived 64 Beehive Street Cradley Heath...entered theatre of war 18/08/1915 died at Loos 13/10/1915

His brother Henry Billingham......(b. aprrox 1875/1885? mystery) demobbed in 1919...reinlisted 1919.....nothing else known.

His other brother Alfred Billingham.....(b approx 1889) all i know he was in the Artillery....

I knew about Oliver...but was shocked to learn that his two brothers were also in the thick of it....

Thanks

Regards

Freda

Hello Jonathan. Ther are three photographs in the Walsall Observer. Harold Hackett of Butts Street 20-4-1918 wounded.

Victor Hackett of Butts Street 23-10-1915 wounded. Wallace Hackett High Bridge Pelsall 20-11-915 Killed. Hope that this is of help. Sue S

Hi Sue - have you any more info re: Harold Hackett of Butts Street?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Sue

This is very probably a very very long shot but here goes.

My Grandfather was Born in Darlaston in the registartion district of Walsall in 1892. Whilst the family headed to the North East and West Hartlepool I would imagine relatives would remain in the Midlands. His name was John Robinson he enlisted with the Durham Light Infantry, was a recipient of the Distinguished Conduct medal and the Military Medal both of which he gained in 1916 at Ypres and on the Somme (DCM) He was CSM 24905 and served with the 14th Service Battalion DLI. His mothers maiden name was Harriet Chew. They resided in Factory Street.

I think it's very unlikely he'd have a mention in the local paper of the time, but you never know. I'd appreciate a look up please.

Jack

HI Freda and Jack. Sorry Jack I have nothing for John Robinson. Freda there are two entries for Billingham as follows:

A. Billingham of Portland Street Walsall. Photograph in Walsall Observer 8-4-1916

G. '' Green Lane '' '' '' '' 9-6-1916 P.O.W.

Regards Sue

Hi Sue,

Are there any Stinton's mentioned. Any help much appreciated.

Regards eskimo.

Many Thanks Sue for looking.

It was always tenuous, with the likliehood of links being broken through time, but worth a try.

Thanks again

Jack

Hi Sue,

Could I be cheeky and ask if there is any mention of Abel Day? He was in the RFA (172303).

Thanks again,

Jonathan