Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surrey Recruitment Registers

ChrisC

Hi there, just found your thread and I have the following man on a school memorial. I have found this about him so far and any extra would be gratefully received:

John Andrew Bowring Paul

Temporary 2nd Ltn of East Surrey Regiment 7th and 10th Btn

Died 10.10.1916 aged 22

MC

Born in Kingston, Surrey Sept 1894 the son of William Fowler and Phoebe Katherine Paul, of Lorne Lodge, Sutton, Surrey

Thanks

JPG

JPG

No J A B Paul on the CD, sorry.

However, in case you haven't got it here's his Commission as a Second Lieutenant (London Gazette #29262, 13 August 1915).

The East Surrey Regiment.

12th Battalion

John Andrew Bowring Paul to be temporary Second Lieutenant. Dated 12th August, 1915.

Link to Gazette is Here

and his MC citation (London Gazette #29765, 26 September 1916)

Temp. 2nd Lt. John Andrew Bowring Paul, E. Surr. R.

For conspicuous gallantry when in charge of a working party. When a shell burst in an ammunition store, causing many casualties, he rescued and bound up several wounded men at great risk from the exploding bombs. Later, on two occasions, he rescued wounded officers under heavy fire.

LInk to Gazette is Here

Hope it helps.

Steve

• 4 months later...

Hi

Can anyone help me? My grandads medal card seems to throw up some confusion...

He was born in Suffolk and lived there all his life but he served in WWI in the East Surreys. His medal card showed that he was in the 4th batallion. Research shows me that the 4ths were Extra Reserves and never left this country, but he has the Victory and British Medals (and the Silver War Badge) so as far as I am aware, he must have left native shores and entered a theatre of war to gain the two medals? According to my mum, he was injured at the start of October 1918 in France (he definitely had wounds) and as a result was unable to fight again. However, his medal card is not stamped with a theatre of war or date.

His details are:

PTE Herman Race, 48172, enlisted 27.5.1918, discharged 12.8.1919 under KR 392 XVI

If anyone can help I'd like to know why he would have enlisted with the Surreys and if he enlisted and fought with a different batallion before returning to the 4ths when he was injured?

PTE Herman Race, 48172, enlisted 27.5.1918, discharged 12.8.1919 under KR 392 XVI

If anyone can help I'd like to know why he would have enlisted with the Surreys and if he enlisted and fought with a different batallion before returning to the 4ths when he was injured?

Hi runningbunny

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Many men ended up in regiments other than those which may be classed as their local regiment. On my memorial website for Addlestone, Surrey,you will find men who ended up in Scottish regiments. This was quite often dependant on the regiments neding men when they enlisted, especialy true of those who were called up rather than volunteered. The other reason is as you have mentioned, that of being transfered from one unit to another.

May I suggest you read the web pages on the long long trail. there is a link about a 1/4 of the way down this page on the left. That website can answer many of your qustions and is a good place to start. Having gained a background knowledge from there why not post the details you have on the soldiers section & I'm sure someone will assist you when you need it.

Best wishes with your research

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for that info... I have read lots of the long, long trail website and realise that soldiers were conscripted to different batallions, I just wondered if there was any more specific information out there?

I was starting with the East Surrey lookups thread as that was what came up in a search, but will try the soldier thread now too - thanks for the good advice for a newbie!!

Sarah

I have just come across this thread, is there a Frederick George Rawlinson, a former territorial but who seemed to serve in India with the East Surreys shown? Thanks.

is there a Frederick George Rawlinson, a former territorial but who seemed to serve in India with the East Surreys shown?

Hi Pooter

There is a F W Rawlinson, the only Rawlinson with the initial F, enlisted St Pancras, but I doubt it's him as the register only covers those who enlisted in the Great War & not before.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I hope you can help.

Im looking for info on a Arthur Harold Mitchell PTE L-11876 who transferred from the Middlesex Reg during WW1 to the East Surrey's. His previous number was L-13940.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

James

James

The register deals with those who attested in Surrey so it was unlikely that your man would be listed but I had a look for you anyway.

As I expected, he is not listed.

Andy

Hi I am trying to find info on my Great Grandfather, William Sharpe. He was born c1887 in Ham, Surrey.

I have no information relating to his war service though. I have a feeling he may have been in the Royal West Surrey/Queens regiment and/or Royal Engineers, but that's only based on guesswork (other than the fact I have a Queens regiment shoulder title and Royal Engineer buttons in my possetion that must belong to a relative of mine and I havent managed to match them to anyone else in my family).

If you can look him up in your list I would be eternally greatful.

Thanks,

Chris

James

The register deals with those who attested in Surrey so it was unlikely that your man would be listed but I had a look for you anyway.

As I expected, he is not listed.

Andy

Thanks anyway Andy,

I appreciate your time.

James

Chris

I'm at work at the moment :(

I will have a look for you when I get home tonight

Andy

Chris

No W SHARPE born in Ham but this could be him:

Capture-2.jpg

The age is out by a couple of years and the E is missing from SHARPE but that would not be unusual.

Andy

Chris

No W SHARPE born in Ham but this could be him:

Capture-2.jpg

The age is out by a couple of years and the E is missing from SHARPE but that would not be unusual.

Andy

Hmmmm it's entirely possible. The Sharp/Sharpe thing doesnt bother me...quite common. In fact his father was Sharp and changed it to Sharpe after marriage. Age is roughly right (I dont have his exact birthday), occupation is right, birthplace obviously. The 'remarks' section..I assume that's probably current address?

The only thing I'm concerned about is that I just remember his marriage certificate has him living near Coventry...he married in 1918 after being invalided out of the Army. He may just have moved there after as my great grandmother was working in a munitions factory at the time, possibly near coventry. He wouldnt have had work, but she would.

Interesting.

Regardless, thanks so much for that lookup. The start of a new journey for me, after closing the chaper of my other Great Grandfather.

Much appreciated,

Chris

EDIT: Having looked into it, I tried to search for his birth register...and found no William SharpEs (without a middle name) registered in Kingston or the surrounding area in 1886/7....until I searched William Sharp and found him Apr-May-Jun 1886...I checked a few of his siblings (including one with a very unique name) and all were registered without an E :mellow: That's a new one for me. If I assume he was born in April 1886 then 29 years 7 months puts us bang on December 1915...I think this is certainly my great granddad.

Stupid ancestry though doesn't have any William Sharp/e in the Middlesex regiment. :( NA has several, and I think I can narrow it down to a possible 3. I'll have to buy them and see if any have a SWB and then go to Kew and look it up. Phew this is exciting

Thanks again!

.....The 'remarks' section..I assume that's probably current address?.....

Chris

This could have been the home address or it could be the address of his employer (as in my grandfathers case).

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm researching my Grandfathers history though WW1.

He served with 3bn Grenadier Guards until Nov 1918. He then attended #13 OCB Newmarket before he was sent to the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment as Temp. 2nd.Lt. Approx Apr 1919

I've been told he was quite a marksman and was regularly winning awards on the Bisley Ranges.

Any information on a 2nd Lt. George OLLIVER 19450 would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Andy Olliver.

Guest michaeltulley

I wonder if you wouldn't mind looking up details about my late Grandfather for me please?

He was Pte G1033 Edward Jesse Tully (might be under Tulley) who joined the Queens Royal West Surrey's in September 1914 at Croydon.

Many thanks indeed

Michael Tulley

Andy

The only entry that comes close

GeorgeOlliver.jpg

Andy

Andy

The only entry that comes close

GeorgeOlliver.jpg

Andy

Thank you Andy for looking through your records. Alas! this was not my Grandfather.

George Olliver was a School teacher born in Littleover Derby.

I will make a visit to the Woking History Center soon! to see if they have any record there.

Many Thanks for trying I appreciate you giving up your time.

Best wishes

Andy O.

Hi Andy, me again.

Could you please look up the brothers of my great grandfather William Sharpe for me.

They are:

Shadrach John Sharp(e) born 1876 in Ham, Surrey

Thomas Sharp(e) born 1878 in Ham, Surrey

Harry Sharp(e) born 1890 in Ham, Surrey

John Thomas Sharp(e) born 1894 in Ham, Surrey

Thanks very much!

Shadrach John Sharp(e) born 1876 in Ham, Surrey

Thomas Sharp(e) born 1878 in Ham, Surrey

Harry Sharp(e) born 1890 in Ham, Surrey

John Thomas Sharp(e) born 1894 in Ham, Surrey

Chris

Only one of the four is a certain match.

There are numerous J, T & S Sharps listed by initial but they don't have a place of residence or birth listed so I am unable to confirm if it is them without knowing their occupation, date/place/age on enlistment etc.

However, here's Harry, again without the E

aa-sharp-h.jpg

Andy

Wow, thanks again Andy. That looks like a fairly good match for Harry, age at enlistment puts him being born in 1890 which is bang on.

Thinking about it both Shadrach and Thomas both married a couple of sisters from Teddington, Middlesex and the 1901 census has them living there, next door to each other. If they did sign up it may well have not been in Surrey...although Teddington still falls under Kingston I think so who knows. Shadrach was a gardener and Thomas was a Labourer/Builder if that helps any. I have no other info on John though, so may have to wait till the 1911 census to get more details.

Thanks again,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Just for info, Teddington fell under Brentford Registration District BUT they are fairly close together. Kingston fell under Kingston Reg District.

Regards

James