Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surrey Recruitment Registers

ChrisC

Hello Steve,

I've found four more names and I would be most grateful for a lookup in the registers for the following please, whenever it is convenient. Hoping that you might be able to throw a bit of light on any of these so that I can persue their details further. Thanks.

William John Burke, Royal Irish Fusiliers

Arthur Cass, Royal Garrison Artillery

George Leonard (Victor) Keys, Royal Garrison Artillery

Leonard Walter Fullford, Royal Artillery

Regards

Ron

Hello,

Just bouncing this back up, hope someone might be able to help me with a look up. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hello Steve,

I've found four more names and I would be most grateful for a lookup in the registers for the following please, whenever it is convenient. Hoping that you might be able to throw a bit of light on any of these so that I can persue their details further. Thanks.

William John Burke, Royal Irish Fusiliers

Arthur Cass, Royal Garrison Artillery

George Leonard (Victor) Keys, Royal Garrison Artillery

Leonard Walter Fullford, Royal Artillery

Regards

Ron

Ron

Sorry, I must have been asleep or blind, misssed the last few posts on this thread.

I have checked the four you mention and I'm sorry to say that none of them are on the Surrey Recruitment Registers.

William John Burke, Royal Irish Fusiliers.......................... Not Listed

Arthur Cass, Royal Garrison Artillery............................... Not Listed

George Leonard (Victor) Keys, Royal Garrison Artillery..... Not Listed

Leonard Walter Fullford, Royal Artillery............................ Not Listed

Best of luck with finding them elsewhere

Andy

Hi Chris

looking for information on a Reginald Sidney Castledine Surrey Yeomanry Private 1782 then acting Sergeant 1782,

Medal card shows 15 star, Victory & British, Entry into France 22 12 14, Survived the War

Regards Chris

Hello Chris : could you shed light upon a William Charter, please? #3582, 8th Batt, East Surrey Regt. From medal rolls, entered France 27.04.1915, and KiA 08.01.1918. Commemorated on Tyne Cot. DoB Q4, 1887, Fenstanton, Huntingdonshire. He married Q2 1916, Edmonton, Middlesex.

As an aside, on the Medal Roll, does the symbol of a large X with a dot in each quadrant mean anything ? The symbol appears on the second line of the Rank column, against Corporal and again over the column heading Roll.

Does anybody have access to the East Surrey War Diaries, do you know ?

Many thanks for any help

Charlie

Hi Chris

looking for information on a Reginald Sidney Castledine Surrey Yeomanry Private 1782 then acting Sergeant 1782,

Medal card shows 15 star, Victory & British, Entry into France 22 12 14, Survived the War

Regards Chris

There are no Castledines mentioned at all I'm afraid :(

Steve

could you shed light upon a William Charter, please?

No Charters listed either :( .

As an aside, on the Medal Roll, does the symbol of a large X with a dot in each quadrant mean anything ? The symbol appears on the second line of the Rank column, against Corporal and again over the column heading Roll.

The symbol indicates which details are to be recorded on the medal(s) indicated. In this instance it sounds as if it's the rank of Corporal on the Victory and British War Medals.

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve - thnaks for looking - rats. Thanks also for your info about the symbol. If I had been bright enough to look through the postings on interpreting Medal Rolls before posting, I'd have worked it out myself ! It does seem to indicate he was awarded these three when he was a cpl. If I have got it right, the attachment is of the pic of his card.

Charlie

There are no Castledines mentioned at all I'm afraid :(

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for looking, wonder is it's because he's a TA Soldier? Thanks again

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
I have just purchased the CD from the Surrey Family History Trust. It contains the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment & East Surrey Regiment Regimental Recruiting District's register from 1908 to 1933. It seems to contain all those who enlisted within the recruiting district but not men who enlisted elsewhere and went into those regiments. A useful resource nontheless.

Chris C

Chris,I'd be most grateful if you coul lok up Charles Woodbury,my greatuncle,who enlisted in the East Surrey Regiment,in Surrey,around June 1915.

Michael

Michael

there are only two Woodbury's listed, F J and G J so sorry but it doesn't look like your great uncle is listed.

Best wishes

Andy

Michael

there are only two Woodbury's listed, F J and G J so sorry but it doesn't look like your great uncle is listed.

Best wishes

Andy

Thankyou all the same.

Michael

Michael

Best wishes

Andy

Andy,my wife Ann was wondering if you could be so kind as to look up her grandfather Henry(also known as Harry) Hemmings,born in Bristol,on 9.2 1898(although he could have lied about his age!),but lived in London and served in the Army in the Great War.Unfortunately there are no Burnt Records for a man of that name but a lot with medal cards!

Michael

Chris,

Could you look up James Arthur Myhill. Service No 10467 East Surry Reg. He joined (or may have been transfered) the East Surrys around June 1915.

Cheers

Kevyn

Chris,

Could you look up James Arthur Myhill. Service No 10467 East Surry Reg. He joined (or may have been transfered) the East Surrys around June 1915.

Cheers

Kevyn

Sorry,Kevin.You've sent this to the wrong person.If you find he was in the 9th East Surreys I may be able to help you,as I have quite alot of material on them.

Michael

Chris,

Cheers

Kevyn

Sorry,Kevin.You've sent this to the wrong person.If you find he was in the 9th East Surreys I may be able to help you,as I have quite alot of material on them.

Michael

I would be extremely grateful for any enlistment details for the following…

CORBETT, Charles John

8th East Surrey

LINN, Charles Henry

G/10511

8th Royal West Surrey

STRAWSON, Frank Gordon

(2/Lieut. when KIA in 1918)

11th Royal West Surrey

BROWN, William Albert

G/11144

4th Middlesex (known to have resided in Surrey)

Many thanks.

Michael

There is 1 H Hemmings listed although it doesn't look like your man.....

H.A. HEMMINGS born WIMBLEDON

Andy

Could you look up James Arthur Myhill.....

There are 4 MYHILL's listed but no J A

Andy

Hi

I would be grateful for a look up on Joseph James Eldridge T4/127492 ASC born Watford, Herts living in Woking. born c.1898

Thanks in advance

NigelS

CORBETT, Charles John

8th East Surrey

LINN, Charles Henry

G/10511

8th Royal West Surrey

STRAWSON, Frank Gordon

(2/Lieut. when KIA in 1918)

11th Royal West Surrey

BROWN, William Albert

G/11144

4th Middlesex (known to have resided in Surrey)

Wesley

The numbers on these records are attestation numbers and as they were not given a regimental number at the time of enlistment I am unable to search by this.

C Corbett - the only one listed is 4th Batn East Surrey

C.H. Linn - not listed

F.G. Strawson - not listed

W.A.Brown - There is a W. Brown listed in the Middlesex. However he is in the 5th not the 4th.

Andy

Joseph James Eldridge.....

Nigel

There is one J Eldridge who enlisted in the ASC but he is J.W. Eldridge who gave his place of birth as Kingston so I don't think this is our man.

Andy