Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surrey Recruitment Registers

ChrisC

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for looking for me.

Would you also mind please, looking up for me another couple.

Edward Thomas Morley, and, Ernest Reginald Clifford.

Many thanks for your help.

All the best,

Stuart

Edward Thomas Morley, and, Ernest Reginald Clifford.

Stuart

Sorry, drawn a blank on these two as well.

Steve

Hello Chris

Would like to take advantage of yr info if it is still available?

My GF was Pte Walter William David Wakefield who served in the E Surrey Regiment in WW1. His Reg No. 17082

I have his MIC but nothing else, not even a photo so would be appreciative for anything you might find.

Many thanks,

Jill.

Walter William David Wakefield

Jill

No obvious candidate I'm afraid.

Steve

Snap!!!!!

You beat me to it.

Surrey recruitment registers on cd also came through my letter box this morning.

The copy I have details all the men recruited in Surrey & not just those sent to either the East Surrrey or Queens West Surrey Rgts. Is this the same one you have?

Also if you get snowed under with look up requests give me a shout, I'm sure I could help.

Andy

Hello I'm trying to trace a Richard George Williams ...who served with the Queens West Surrey Regiment.

he could be listed as George Richard is DOB is around 1905 and we know for certain he served in China and Malta in the 1920s can you help at all?

Many thanks

Susan

Snap!!!!!

You beat me to it.

Surrey recruitment registers on cd also came through my letter box this morning.

The copy I have details all the men recruited in Surrey & not just those sent to either the East Surrrey or Queens West Surrey Rgts. Is this the same one you have?

Also if you get snowed under with look up requests give me a shout, I'm sure I could help.

Andy

Hi Andy

Is there a WAKEFIELD on these lists please. I already enquired about my G. Dad (Walter W D ) but there were a lot of his family who very likely enlisted. Would appreciate details of any please.

Many thanks,

jrpar

• 2 weeks later...

May i add my thanks to SteveE and NigelS for the info on Robert Bradford

Snap!!!!!

You beat me to it.

Andy

Morning!

Is there a WAKEFIELD on these lists please. I already enquired about my G. Dad (Walter W D ) but there were a lot of his family who very likely enlisted. Would appreciate details of any please.

Many thanks,

jrpar

Dear All

The Surrey History Centre holds the regimental archives of the Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment and its predecessors, the Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment (formerly the 2nd Foot) and the East Surrey Regiment (formerly the 31st and 70th Regiments) (their references: ESR, QHG, QMISC, QRS and QRWS). The only personal papers they hold are those deposited by former members of the various regiments or their relatives. They also hold the Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and the East Surrey Regiment: Enlistment Registers, Transfers-In/Out Registers, Annual Discharge Books and World War II Honours Indexes, c.1920 –1958 (their reference: 7791/-), the Queen’s Royal (West Surrey) Regiment, the East Surrey Regiment and 21st – 24th Battalions, the London Regiment: Nominal Rolls of Officers, 1914-1919 (their reference: 8227/-) and the 2nd (Queen’s Royal (West Surrey) Regiment) and the 31st (East Surrey Regiment) Regimental Recruiting Districts: Recruitment Registers (Army Book 303), 1908-1933, (their reference: 2496/1-44). This last collection mainly covers the East Surrey Regimental Recruitment District and is available to purchase from them as the Recruitment Register CD.

The Royal West Surrey/East Surrey regimental records include material relating to the regiments as a whole, as well as to individual battalions. They include war diaries and other records of service throughout the world, medal rolls, photograph albums, scrapbooks and ephemera, published histories and journals. The full regimental catalogue can be searched on Access to Archives on the National Archives website.

The First World War battalion war diaries for both the Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment and the East Surrey Regiment are available to view on-line on the Queens Royal Surrey Regiment’s website www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk at the following link http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/war_d...aries_home.html.

regards

Bootneck

Dear All

The Surrey History Centre holds the regimental archives of the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment and its predecessors, the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment (formerly the 2nd Foot) and the East Surrey Regiment (formerly the 31st and 70th Regiments) (their references: ESR, QHG, QMISC, QRS and QRWS). The only personal papers they hold are those deposited by former members of the various regiments or their relatives. They also hold the Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and the East Surrey Regiment: Enlistment Registers, Transfers-In/Out Registers, Annual Discharge Books and World War II Honours Indexes, c.1920 –1958 (their reference: 7791/-), the Queen's Royal (West Surrey) Regiment, the East Surrey Regiment and 21st – 24th Battalions, the London Regiment: Nominal Rolls of Officers, 1914-1919 (their reference: 8227/-) and the 2nd (Queen's Royal (West Surrey) Regiment) and the 31st (East Surrey Regiment) Regimental Recruiting Districts: Recruitment Registers (Army Book 303), 1908-1933, (their reference: 2496/1-44). This last collection mainly covers the East Surrey Regimental Recruitment District and is available to purchase from them as the Recruitment Register CD.

The Royal West Surrey/East Surrey regimental records include material relating to the regiments as a whole, as well as to individual battalions. They include war diaries and other records of service throughout the world, medal rolls, photograph albums, scrapbooks and ephemera, published histories and journals. The full regimental catalogue can be searched on Access to Archives on the National Archives website.

The First World War battalion war diaries for both the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment and the East Surrey Regiment are available to view on-line on the Queens Royal Surrey Regiment's website www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk at the following link http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/war_d...aries_home.html.

regards

Bootneck

Many thanks for that link Bootneck.

JRPAR

Is there a WAKEFIELD on these lists please.

jrpar

Take your pick, if any catch your eye just let me know......

Steve

post-1432-1250120223.jpg

Susan

Your Richard George Williams would have been a post war regular is unlikely to appear in the Surrey Recruitment Registers; but he should be in the enlistment and discharge registers mentioned in my previous post, where you would also find his Army Number. His service papers would still be retained by the Ministry of Defence. You will need to contact the Army Personnel Centre at the address given below:

Army Personnel Centre

Historical Disclosures

Mailpoint 400

Kentigern House

65 Brown Street

Glasgow G2 8EX

For telephone enquiries, please use the number below:

Telephone: 0141 224 3515 or 0845 600 9663

Fax: 0141 224 2144

Email: disc4.civsec@apc.army.mod.uk

The Ministry of Defence does not normally release information from a service record to persons other than the individual concerned or their next of kin. There is a search fee for genealogical enquiries which currently stands at £30.00.

regards

Bootneck

Your Richard George Williams would have been a post war regular is unlikely to appear in the Surrey Recruitment Registers

Can confirm that Richard George Williams doesn't appear in the registers.

Regards

Steve

I have just purchased the CD from the Surrey Family History Trust. It contains the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment & East Surrey Regiment Regimental Recruiting District's register from 1908 to 1933. It seems to contain all those who enlisted within the recruiting district but not men who enlisted elsewhere and went into those regiments. A useful resource nontheless.

Chris C

Hello there,

I wonder if there is anything for Sidney Victor Aris please - possibly for the 3/6th East Surrey Regiment? He was in the Royal Engineers later but we have no dates for either.

Thanks

Jane

Can i ask whether there is a George William Moore on the list please?

I wonder if there is anything for Sidney Victor Aris please

Jane

Nothing on Sidney Victor Aris I'm afraid. There are only three listed of that surname, an A.W., an Alfred and a L.A.

Regards

Steve

Can i ask whether there is a George William Moore on the list please?

Anthony

There is a George William but he's a post-war attestation?

Regards

Steve

post-1432-1250199873.jpg

Thanks Steve,

The chap i'm after was killed with the S Staffs in 1917- he originated from Holmwood, would that make any difference?

Anthony

It would, based on its location I'm guessing that Holmwood came under No.2 Regimental District (Royal West Surreys) whereas the bulk of the registers (43 of 44) on the CD cover No.31 Regimental District (East Surreys).

Regards

Steve

Thanks mate!

Richard George Williams possibly served with 1st Battalion, The Queen's in the 1920s.

Bootneck

Many thanks...Im certain you are right..he was in hong kong, malta and Tin Tsin.

I believe I need his service number to obtain his military record but will try, we are fairly certain he added a couple of years on his age to join up. Thanks for you help

Susan

No worries...thanks very much for checking Steve, I appreciate it.

Jane

Nothing on Sidney Victor Aris I'm afraid. There are only three listed of that surname, an A.W., an Alfred and a L.A.

Regards

Steve

• 2 months later...

hi ive been here before but since then ive researched the photoghraph for the badge and now i now the donovans were in the royal west surrey regiment can some one look up

john and cornelius donovan born 1896 croydon

george donovan born 1897 croydon any help will be thankfull

natasha