Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surrey Recruitment Registers

ChrisC

Hello Andy,

Would it be possible to look up my great uncle - John Edge - East Surreys - 9th Battalion - 29014- killed 16.10.1918. I would be very grateful. Found info online from diaries but sounds as if your disc could have some really helpful dates and personal details.

Thank you very much.

Jean

Hello Andy,

Could you please look up Private Sidney H Wynne, 2785, who I believe was either in the Kent or Surrey Queens Regiment

Many thanks

Dianne

John Edge - East Surreys - 9th Battalion - 29014- killed 16.10.1918.

Jean

The only J Edge listed was in the Middlesex Regt.

Andy

Private Sidney H Wynne, 2785

Dianne

The only S WYNNE listed is SJB of the Territorial Force Artillery.

I also checked the spelling WYNN to no avail.

Andy

The only S WYNNE listed is SJB of the Territorial Force Artillery.

I also checked the spelling WYNN to no avail.

Hi Andy

Thanks for looking, probably belongs to the Kent Regiment then

Many thanks

Dianne

probably belongs to the Kent Regiment then

Dianne

Not guaranteed.

These registers only list the men who enlisted in specific Surrey districts. The entrys cover many regiments & just because he isn't listed doesn't mean he didn't join the Surreys in another district.

If you or anyone wants more info on these registers I will happily supply it.

Andy

Jean

The only J Edge listed was in the Middlesex Regt.

Andy

Thank you very much for looking. John started off in the Loyal Lancs and then transferred to East Surreys, so still trying to find out the reason for transfer, other personal details etc.

Regards

Jean

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Andy

Some time ago you were kind enough to do a lookup for me via this thread, and I was wondering if I could be cheeky enough to request your kind help again.

This will be something of a stab in the dark, but I am hoping you might find something on:

Reginald Adamson Bray and Frederick Horace Arthur Bray, brothers who I hope would have enlisted in Croydon.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul :)

Reginald Adamson Bray and Frederick Horace Arthur Bray.....

Hi Paul

I have had a check for you.

The only R BRYAY is Robert

This could be Frederick

Capture-3.jpg

Regards

Andy

[edit] Norwood is close to Croydon [edit]

Hi Andy,

That is fantastic - And I think you may just have found the right man!

It will take some follow up, but the age is a reasonable match and the family certainly lived in Church Road Upper Norwood!

Your generosity is really a credit to you and is very much appreciated :)

Thanks again

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

This is a reply I got about the Garner family boys - nav_m.gifsee post #6 on my posting -

Another Long Shot, I only have photocopies of six soldiers + POW letter.

Hoping you may be able to find my Garner boys on your list.

Regards

Vicki Smith

Geelong

Australia

If the family originated from Lambeth then it is worth asking for a look up on the Garners in the Surrey recruitment Registers here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...beth&st=175

Lambeth was classified as Surrey at that time.

Regards

Mel

Ps Or drop a PM to ice tiger

• 2 weeks later...
This is a reply I got about the Garner family boys - nav_m.gifsee post #6 on my posting -

Another Long Shot, I only have photocopies of six soldiers + POW letter.

Hoping you may be able to find my Garner boys on your list.

Regards

Vicki Smith

Geelong

Australia

If the family originated from Lambeth then it is worth asking for a look up on the Garners in the Surrey recruitment Registers here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...beth&st=175

Lambeth was classified as Surrey at that time.

Regards

Mel

Ps Or drop a PM to ice tiger

Hi Vicki

You have been advised correctly.

Send me a pm with as many details as you have & I will gladly look for them in the registers for you.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy

Would you please be kind enough to look up my paternal step-grandfather (whose identity I've only just discovered through the 1911 census).

He was 17525 Pte Alfred Scarff who enlisted in the Army Service Corps, having attested sometime in 1915. He lived at Herne Hill, Lambeth, which was in Surrey at the time.

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Andy,

My 4 men if you could do a look up greatly appreciated.

Fred Mansell Private 674 6th Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment). Died 9th July 1915. Son of Charles and Lucy Mansell of Peaslake, Surrey. Died of wounds aged 26 years. Remembered with honour in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, France.

Harry Abrehart Private 3539 1st Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment). Died of wounds 6th February 1916. Remembered with honour in Cambrin Military Cemetery, France.

Bertram H. Peto Private G/182 1st Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment). killed in action 15th July 1916, during the Battle of The Somme. Remembered with honour in the Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, France.

George W. Hunt Private 3950 1st Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment). Died 19th February 1916. Remembered with honour in the Cambrin Military Cemetery, France.

All the best

I am at work at present but will do the look ups for you when I get home later tonight

Andy

CT-Guards

Sorry but none of your men are listed.

For anyone else wanting a look up, to aviod dissapointment please remember..........

The records cover the 31st (East Surrey) Regimental District and also a few other Surrey recruitment offices. They list the men who enlisted in that district, not just the East & West Surreys. These men will have been sent to many varied Regiments & units. Most of the recruiting areas covered are to the North and West of Surrey. About 1/3 of all the men who enlisted in the county of Surrey can be found in them.

Hope that helps & feel free to ask for a look up if you think they may be listed

Andy

Phil

I have posted the image as the name is unusual, the initial matches and the Regiment is as given by you. However the enlistment date & address differ. This is not unusual with the address as some gave the address of an employer or reference rather than their home address but the enlistment date diffrence concerns me. Also please be aware that the number is a recruiting number not the Regimental number.

Capture-4.jpg

Andy

Many thanks Andy. This is actually a different A Scarff as my man was 39 in 1914. If he's the only one on your register I guess my step-grandfather must have attested somewhere else - quite possible as he lived at Herne Hill which was well away from the leafy part of Surrey even then.

Thanks again

Phil

Hi Chris

I'm new to this forum and have just come across your post re the Surry Reg.

If you're still doing this would you be able to look up Private Adrian Newbery G/23465

many thanks

I will have a look for you later tonight - when I get back to my lap top

Andy

Bob

I had a look for you and the only A NEWBERY listed was with the Royal Fusiliers.

I also checked NEWBURRY & NEWBERRY, to no avail

Andy

Bob

I had a look for you and the only A NEWBERY listed was with the Royal Fusiliers.

I also checked NEWBURRY & NEWBERRY, to no avail

Andy

Andy

Thanks for your efforts - back to the drawing board for me!!

Bob

Hi Andy

Could you do a look up for me please?

Private Arthur Tebb G/3523 Queens Royal West Surrey Reg presumed dead 25/9/1915 commemorated on the Loos Memorial

Thank You

Lindsey

George W. Hunt Private 3950 1st Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment). Died 19th February 1916. Remembered with honour in the Cambrin Military Cemetery, France.

[/color][/size][/i]

Hi

Could I ask your interest in this man? I have his BWM/Vic and memorial plaque in my collection you dont have his 15 Star by any chance?

Cheers

Neil

Hi

Could I ask your interest in this man? I have his BWM/Vic and memorial plaque in my collection you dont have his 15 Star by any chance?

Cheers

Neil

Andy,

Thank you for the look up & Neil I dont any of his medals (I wouldn't mind a photo of that Plaque if you could oblige)!

Regards