Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surrey Recruitment Registers

ChrisC

Jerimiah

See entry for J Donovan above. It could be John or Jerimiah or infact neither. Do you know the place of birth?

Andy

Last Donovan on your list Tasha

Michael Donovan

There is only one Michael Donovan listed who was born in Carshalton, as this is next to Croydon i hope it's the right one.

Volume 49 page 19

Royal West Surrey Rgt

Age 38 years 1 month

height 5' 5 3/4''

Weight 138lb

chest 37''

Expansion 2''

Complection dark

Eyes Grey

hair Brown

Distinctive marks Scars+

Occupation Labourer

Birthplace Carshalton

County Surrey

Attestation Date 18/08/14

Where Attested kingston

Remarks None

Tasha

I hope this has been of help to you. As for the address (where listed) in the remarks, don't assume anything!

They could be the address of:

Birth

Home

Work

Next of kin

Friend

All of which were used. It doesn't record which one it is.

Good luck with your research & welcome to the forum

Andy

Jerimiah

See entry for J Donovan above. It could be John or Jerimiah or infact neither. Do you know the place of birth?

Andy

both born in croydon cornelius and john were twins i do no they lived in croydon for quiet sumtime before the wars and after

what about a micheal. the thing is we got a picture of micheal just no regiment lol

none of them apart from george match could they have entered into another regiment

cornelius and john were born in 1896

or could they have lied about their age?

jeremaih was born 1863

micheal was born 1866

or could they have been split up

this is cunfusing me ha ha as i no they were in the battle of somme

i have 3 picture of them and 1 is on croyon online i found that 1 by acciendent the man tried to tell me it wasnt michael but i studied the picture all i found was on 1 of the mens arm was a croos with i thought was medic but i cant c my ggg grandfathers arm all i no is it was taken at war hospital eccelston rd croydon

now i am lost its like my family disaper during the wars but we no they were there lol

both born in croydon cornelius and john were twins i do no they lived in croydon for quiet sumtime before the wars and after

what about a micheal. the thing is we got a picture of micheal just no regiment lol

Tasha

The Cornelius I have posted is the only Cornelius Donovan registered as having enlisted in Surrey

and

The J donovan is the only Donovan with the initial J to have been born in Croydon & enlisted in Surrey.

If these or any others are not your men then the ones you are looking for did not enlist in Surrey. As Croydon was only just over the border form the London administrative district the men oyu are looking for may have enlisted there. Unfortunatley I do not have the london records. Perhaps someone else on the forum can assist.

Also remember that at this time many people swapped their first and middle names around. An example is a great uncle of mine who was Thomas Leslie Goulter. It says Thomas Leslie on his birth certificate but he was always known in the family as Leslie & Leslie is the first name on his school records and death certificate.

Good luck

Andy

Tasha

The Cornelius I have posted is the only Cornelius Donovan registered as having enlisted in Surrey

and

The J donovan is the only Donovan with the initial J to have been born in Croydon & enlisted in Surrey.

If these or any others are not your men then the ones you are looking for did not enlist in Surrey. As Croydon was only just over the border form the London administrative district the men oyu are looking for may have enlisted there. Unfortunatley I do not have the london records. Perhaps someone else on the forum can assist.

Also remember that at this time many people swapped their first and middle names around. An example is a great uncle of mine who was Thomas Leslie Goulter. It says Thomas Leslie on his birth certificate but he was always known in the family as Leslie & Leslie is the first name on his school records and death certificate.

Good luck

Andy

thanks for all ur help andy i managed thanks to u get george now i gota find some1 who will help me with londons recuits good luck me thanks for ur time xx

Chris.

having made your kind offer I hope you don't think I was trying to steal your thunder.

Hope you find the cd as interesting as I have. Although it gets frustrating as I know at least two of my men attested at these recruitment centres but they are not in these records.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Any chance of a lookup for Arthur Joseph Edwards born c1896 and living in Norwood? He served in the Royal West Surreys, but other than that I have little details.

Much appreciated

Chris

Hi

Any chance of a lookup for Arthur Joseph Edwards born c1896 and living in Norwood? He served in the Royal West Surreys, but other than that I have little details.

Much appreciated

Chris

Chris

I know you say living in Norwood but do you know where he was born?

Let me know if you think he is one of the ones in the screen shot though & I will look him up for you. Having said that, unless you have the Rgt wrong it doesn't look like he's here.

Capture18-08-2007-1800.44.jpg

Andy

Hi Andy

Many thanks for the information. He was born Q4 1895 In West Norwood, but the registration district looks like it was Lambeth. Therefore the Arthur Edwards born in Lambeth looks likely. However I have rather a fine photo of him in 1918 / 1919 in the West Surreys. See thread Great Great Uncle.

Medal cards etc have been elusive to find, so perhaps he changed regiment? Is this likely?

Many thanks

Chris

Arthur Edwards born in Lambeth looks likely

Chris

Am at work at the moment, :( will post the details later today

Andy

As promised

Arthur Edwards attestation record

EdwardsArthur.jpg

Hope he is the right one

Andy

Chris

Couple of things to note, the remarks entry, "J Bloodworth, 30 Robert Road" could be a friend or employer etc. It is not guaranteed to be next of kin although this is a possibility and yes, a number of men did change Unit/Rgt etc during the course of the war. A number of men on the memorial I am researching did this.

Best of luck with your research

Andy

Thanks Andy

Sadly the image not showing. Not sure if thats me.

Thanks Chris

Try this.....

EdwardsArthur.jpg

Chris. if it doesn't work, PM me your email addres & will send it to you.

Jim always happy to help, will look them up tomorrow

Andy

Jim

Sorry, have not had time to do your look ups today, will try again tomorrow.

Chris, best of luck with your research

Andy

Jim

You're in luck.

Got frustrated with dead ends in my research tonight :wacko: so have done your look ups.

John Arthur Pighills - Sorry no record.

Ernest W Adams & Herbert Tugwell are below.

Both of these men are on the same register and the same page although Herbert enlisted three after Ernest, or at least that's how it's recorded.

Adams-ErnestW.jpg

Tugwell-Herbert.jpg

Best of luck with your research

Andy

Andy,

Thank you for looking these men up. Its interesting that they were both salesmen. I wonder if the whole surrey group were all employed with the same firm.

The Surrey lads, numbered 12670 thru 12700ish, all appear to have initially served in 7th Lincs. I wonder if the were kept in the same company? Of the 30 men, 12 were commissioned, several more becoming NCOs and sadly at least 6 died during the war.

Tugwell would become a Sgt, be wounded in Dec 1915, and later serve with the Labour Corps, while Adams was killed on 20 Sep 1915.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Jim

Jim

Could well be the same firm.

Both Salesmen, both joined up at the same time, both born Dulwich, both living in Kingston on Thames, all rather coincidental :unsure:

Anyone else need look ups from these registers?

Andy

Andy/Jim

Don't want to step on anyone's toes but I think this is John Arthur Peghill (not Pighills as suggested)...

Regards

Steve

Don't want to step on anyone's toes

No problem Steve

Thanks for the help

Andy

Jim

There are, in addition to the three you listed, another 27 men listed in the same Lincolnshire 'batch'. All are listed as salesmen, with the exception of two clerks, all born in Dulwich and attested at Kingston-on-Thames on 07/09/14.

They are:

Francis George DRIVER

Frank BIRKETT

John Alexander JARROLD

Reginald Percy GREY

Francis William CROSSLAND

John Henry HARDING

John Alexander MORGAN

William STROUD

Michael STOKE

George William GREEN

Edwin Herbert KENT

George Bernard HALSEY

James Hubert GOODMAN

Henry Albert FULLER

Henry William Hotten GEORGE

Reginald Arthur BENNETT

Oscar Blyth TAYLOR

Donald Edmund BARRANCE

William HOLE

Harold Eustace WALDRON

Josiah HURREN

Arnold Henry CHIPPERFIELD

Herbert Ed. GODDARD

George Harold WALKER

Charles NORRIS

Ed. Charles BATEMAN

Edward Yorke LOCKE

The images are too big to post here so if you would like the details PM me your email address and I'll send them. Sorry again Andy if I'm treading on toes.

Regards

Steve