Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Bocking

Anthony Bagshaw

Garry,

The photo looks great, thanks.

Leonard will now have a nice spread in my up and coming book. I still find it strange that we have a photo, a little bit of background but no idea when or how he died or even where he lies buried!

Cheers all

Well hello Leonard, so nice to meet you after all this time.

Now if only........................................

Mandy

Well hello Leonard, so nice to meet you after all this time.

Now if only........................................

Mandy

Has anyone checked the conscientious objectors who died through ill treatment and poor prison conditions during WW1?

Myrtle

Marvellous to see Leonard …. Well done Susan, persistence paid off! John wasn’t very forthcoming at first, was he, but it’s understandable as he obviously had some other issues going on.

Now then Anthony, have you checked those parish records yet? :)

Now then Anthony, have you checked those parish records yet?

Oh, erm..................no is the honest answer.

I've been a little pre-occupied as of late. The biggest change to my life will be arriving in the next few weeks. :D

Oh, erm..................no is the honest answer.

I've been a little pre-occupied as of late. The biggest change to my life will be arriving in the next few weeks. :D

In that case do all you can now as you will be too tired to do anything afterwards ! ;)

The biggest change to my life will be arriving in the next few weeks. :D

"Abandon sleep all ye who enter here."

Myrtle,

I'm trying, honest!!!

Michael....... :lol:

• 3 months later...

Afternoon all,

I have now completed my searches of the 3 Mansfield papers from 1914-1921. Not a sign of Leonard anywhere. I even tried to find the announcement of the marriage of his wife to Mr Collins in 1919, nothing their either.

It's all very strange, but he has a page in my book all to himself.

Still infuriates me though........ :lol:

I got all excited then!!!!!! LOL

One day!

mandy

It's all very strange, but he has a page in my book all to himself.

Still infuriates me though........ :lol:

Things some people will do to promote their book :lol:

Steve M - 9th bn Sherwood Foresters 1914-1919 - copies still available :D

Wasn't really as subtle as i would have hoped then! :lol:

That will come later ;)

Have checked the Midland Railway Roll of Honour for him....... Not listed :(

Steve.

Local burial registers, Anthony? Get round to those yet?

Grace,

Apparently the Library do not know where these are kept! So the answer is nope, i haven't :lol:

Steve,

Thanks for looking, appreciate it.

I haven't read all of this thread .

Were there any bombs dropped in the area ?

Is there any way he could be on the memorial as a civilian casualty of some sort ?

AVL ?

Or even a "present" voter ?

If he was a railway worker could he have been a civilian doing military railway work ?

Any chance he divorced ? Unlikely , but ...

Hi Anthony,

Try the locol County Archives, thats where I found some for West Yorkshire.

Cheers Roger.

• 1 month later...

It has taken me a few hours to read through this thread and all because it came up in a search term that I used! Thought it wasn't relevant to what I was searching for and nearly hit the back button but the name jumped out at me (even though it was nothing to do with my search).

To cut a long story short, yesterday evening I spent hours searching for my Grandad's parents grave in a very large churchyard (thousands of graves and some overgrown to the tops of the stones). Still didn't manage to find them but took pictures of as many military headstones as I could, as well as those killed in WWI who were mentioned on family graves.

Driving home, I did a small detour from where I had been searching and took some pictures of a small churchyard memorial with names.

Thought I would run a quick forum search on the area to see if anyone was after names or pictures from the memorial and it led me here.

Sorry to be vague with area, but the search term (which I eventually came across highlighted many posts in) confirmed what had jumped out at me re the name you are searching.

Someone posted a list of Bockings with addresses and I think that you should write to these. One of them was an address with the exact name (Leonard Bocking), although I know that the gentleman died last year and he was in his 80s. His son still resides at the address.

It could be that this gentleman was a relative of your Leonard Bocking. I know from my own family research that after my Great Uncle Reg was killed in WWI, other family members named their children after him. One brother gave his first son the name Reginald in the 1920s and my Grandparents, having three daughters (probably and correctly knowing that having a son was looking doubtful!) gave their third daughter the name Regina (the feminine form of Reginald), also in the 1920s.

Our family is spread wide and far and some of my research has found people overseas a lot easier than those in the UK.

Relatives of my Great Uncle Reg can be found in Hampshire, London and Middlesex, Staffordshire, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cumbria as well as Scotland and Wales.

The name is uncommon, so could be a coincidence, but well worth following up just in case the family of the recently deceased Leonard Bocking can link to yours. (By the way, I was aware that the thread mentions the Grandson had said about a bereavement, but from the knowledge I have of the gentleman I am referring to, there are few KNOWN LIVING relatives, except a sister of this (deceased) Leonard Bocking in either Devon or Cornwall.

I feel sure that if you made contact with those addresses and explained, some would lead you to other living relatives who may be able to throw some light onto your Leonard Bocking.

Once more into the breach!

Have we contacted any of these fine people?

Genes-Reunited:

post-6536-1217949251.jpg

:blink:

Steve.

Oh flippin 'eck!!! :lol:

PPc1919,

Thank you for your post, i am ever grateful for any information and assistance, especially new ideas.

Steve,

I don't think anyone has to be honest, i know i haven't. Is there any chance of getting me some contact details and i'll write a few letters?

Here we go again......sleepless nights (but at least it's just before the book goes to print ;) )

Hi Anthony,

Found the info which was posted by DOMWALSH on page 9 @ post 203. He found 3 people with the name Leonard Bocking. I know that one of those has since died, but you could write to all 3 asking if they know of any connection.

A standard letter to all would make life easier for you!

Something along the lines of

Dear Mr/Mrs Bocking,

I am conducting research into a Leonard Bocking whose name appears on the War Memorial at Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire.

Your address has appeared in a directory with the name Leonard Bocking associated to it. Is it possible that the Leonard Bocking associated with your address could be related in some way to the one I am researching? Perhaps your Leonard was the son of a brother of the Leonard mentioned on the War Memorial, as so often was the case that close family named the next generation after those who had fallen during the Great War.

If you are uncertain of a link with the Leonard Bocking named on the WWI Memorial, could I please ask that you check with any living relatives to see whether they may have some knowledge of a connection.

Of course, if the Leonard Bocking that I am researching is in any way related to you, I would be more than happy to send you the details that I have.

Please accept my apologies for writing if you have no connection, but again, I would ask that you check with any family members in whatever part of the country they may reside, as they may remember information passed through the generations, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Thanking you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you, if only to let me know that there is no possibility of a family connection. I have enclosed a stamped addressed envelope.

Kindest regards,

Anthony Bagshaw

You can tweak it to your own liking, adding any info that you think relevant. :D

Thanks, it's certainly given me something to ponder......

OMG - into the abyss again. John Smith (think Stebie was in contact with him at one time) on Genes Reunited was the one that eventually sent me the photo of Leonard and he still has to send "the other photo he said he has of him". Will give him another job. Perhaps he has found it now. (He said he had been moving or something and all his photos etc were in storage).

When I started to read PPCs post and skimmed onto the graveyard bit I was overcome with excitement. thought he was going to tell us he had tumbled across Leonar's resting place (I still think he is well underground in a pit accident!!!!)....... oh gawd.

Well, I knew something was missing from my life. It's been the crusade to find Leonard.

Anthony, how is your little princess?

All well I trust....

Susan.

ps. will give John (Smith - Leonard's something grandson) another email tonight.