Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Bocking

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi Susan,

Good to hear from you, it's been a while! My little Girl is great thank you, she's a bit of a grump today though! She's 4 months old already, how time flies.

Like you, i did get a little excited, but then like everything else we are no nearer :lol:

One day hey.....

• 5 months later...

Morning All,

Well the 1911 Census is with us, had a look for Mr Bockin this morning and he isn't there! It seems that he has simply disappeared.

As always, another lead gone nowhere :lol:

I see we have:

Bocking C.G., female, b 1905, age 6, residence Mansfield Notts

Bocking Ethel, female, b 1908, age 3, residence Mansfield Notts

Bocking Mabel, female, b 1907, age 4, residence Mansfield Notts

Bocking S.A., female, b 1885, age 26, residence Mansfield Notts

Have you got the transcript, Anthony? My great uncle Stephen appeared to be missing, but they had transcribed him as Stphen so he didn't show up in the search results.

As they haven't enabled wildcard searching yet, it's trial and error looking for variations.

As there are no other Bockings coming up, it looks like Constance Grace is indeed the eldest child of Leonard and Sara.

Anthony

Re the name confusion Bocking v Bockin.

There is a birth registerd in the Dec Qtr 1904 Mansfield RD Constance Grace Bocking

The death of presumably the same person is registered in Mansfield March Qtr 1926 as Constance G Bockin, aged 21 years (this time without the 'g')

Could this be the first child of Leonard Bockin(g)?

If so it could point to the family still being in the area in 1926.

Something else to add to the mix

Regards

Pam

Oh! And ..... remember there are some sections still to be added, including Overseas Army & Navy. Food for thought there.

Do you want me to download the image for you? I have 3 spare image credits from my main searches, and am willing to use 1 for our friend Leonard's family....

These two ladies are listed as Bockins born in Bottesford:

BOCKIN EDITH F 1888 23 Watford Hertfordshire

BOCKIN MARY JANE F 1881 30 Grantham Lincolnshire

Steve.

Steve,

If you would not mind it would be greatly appreciated.

Grace,

Thanks for the info you have provided, it is very strange that he does not appear, i can't understand this at all. I really think that it's about time that i gave up the hunt for Leonard.

I can't explain why he is not listed but would love to go back in time and find out the reason why!

Did you miss this bit, Anthony?

Oh! And ..... remember there are some sections still to be added, including Overseas Army & Navy. Food for thought there.

My grandfather isn't there either. Yet.

hi Grace,

Yes and No. I saw it but forgot to comment on it, my apologies. I have just gotten so used to coming to a dead end i suppose. Steve may come up with something with the original page, let's hope so!

Tell you one thing, they are living with Sarah's parents. I tried searching with "wife", "head" etc, no jjoy, but "daughter" finds her and so does "Clarke" as other last name in household.

Got no credits left, or my curiosity would get the better of me. Stebie!!!! hurry back :P

Sorry, went to the comprehensive defeat of the Posh by the Baggies....

Here is the page, cropped to fit the screen here, and no Leonard.... :(

Address is 56 Postland Street, Mansfield Woodhouse.

Bocking1911.jpg

However, Sarah is described as married rather than a widow so Leonard is presumably still alive.... somewhere...

Steve.

Thanks Steve! How interesting! A number of sadnesses implicit there.

I'm still thinking our Lenny may be serving his country somewhere, and could turn up on the Army lists. We need to be patient a little longer .....

Thanks Steve,

If you remember the address on the birth certificate for Leonard's daughter that Susan obtained, the address is shown as the High Street, MW. For some reason the family moved and ended up living with Sarah's parents.

This is getting stranger.....where is he????????

I'm still thinking our Lenny may be serving his country somewhere, and could turn up on the Army lists.

I'm not too familiar with the census arrangements - would he have shown up if he was , ahem , in prison?

John

Been quite a while since I last looked at this thread, but could he have been a merchant seaman?

I'm not too familiar with the census arrangements - would he have shown up if he was , ahem , in prison?

Yes, he would. But remember there are still a few counties to be added (plus all of Wales). And on this census there are also these still to come:

Royal Navy (ships at sea at time of census)

Military Establishments (overseas)

I don't think the census included arrangements for merchant ships at sea.

If he was away for any of those reasons, it wouldn't be that unusual for the wife to go and live with her family.

Been quite a while since I last looked at this thread, but could he have been a merchant seaman?

I like that suggestion but without trawling through the 17 pages of the thread, has the GRO Marine Deaths for 1914-1920 been checked?

Regards

Mel

Hi Mel,

I have to admit that i don't know. If anyone has them or knows where they can be searched i would be grateful for any look ups!

Anthony

I think that Apwright has access to the marine GRO, it may be worth dropping him a PM.

Regards

Mel

I have to admit that i don't know. If anyone has them or knows where they can be searched i would be grateful for any look ups!

Anthony

They're available though 'findmypast'. I had a few spare credits so had a look 1915-1919, he's not there (but I guess on past results that you probably knew that already though ;) )

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the time and effort guys it is as always appreciated very much.

I'm used to the disappointment looking for Leonard, i'm sure you can see why!!

Thanks again, i hope we find him one day!!

• 4 months later...

Evening All,

I have been thinking for some time about closing this thread and giving up the chase for Leonard Bockin. I really feel that we have done all we possibly can- i say we, i actually mean YOU guys- and don't feel in my heart of hearts that we will ever find out what happened to Leonard and why his name appears on the Memorial. It makes me sad to type it.....

However, i don't want to close the thread just incase a new member joins who just happens to know all about his life and times- well i can live in hope :lol:

I do feel though that this has run it's course- what do you think?

I would again like to thank you all so very much for your input over the years, without you guys i would never have found the bits of information we do know