Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Bocking

Anthony Bagshaw

How does the Overseas death register work, was it only for Servicemen? Could Leonard have been non-serving but still overseas, eg. Red Cross or even with the French (Foreign Legion?) If he had died in these circumstances would it be recorded by the British?

The one I have is for WW1 Army, Army Officer and Navy War Deaths.

Anthony

I will try Nottsgen to see if anyone is researching him.

steve

Oh Gawd, it gets worse.....

Thanks for the respons re the mining accidents. I will put that out of my mind now. (except for the unknown 1915 Bentinck one!)

Anthony,

I am showing my age.

Reggie Perrin AKA by his real name !! Leonard Rossiter (of "Rising Damp" fame) walked into the sea and was never seen again..........

back in the 70's when you were just a tot I suspect........ :lol: (I think he also joined the foreign legion)

I just love the poster Andy........ perhaps we ought to adopt it as the new forum badge.........

Mandy: keep us laughing with your smashing humour.......

and Steve, congrats to your grandaughter. Something nice for us to celebrate in cyberland......

Susan.

Ant

hony,

I am showing my age.

Reggie Perrin AKA by his real name !! Leonard Rossiter (of "Rising Damp" fame) walked into the sea and was never seen again..........

back in the 70's when you were just a tot I suspect........ (I think he also joined the foreign legion)

Susan,

Sorry to tell you this, but i wasn't born until 1984 ;)

Steve,

He's on the War Memorial in Mansfield Woodhouse. Who ever compiled the list for Mansfield area didn't come to MW then i take it! :huh:

Just out of interest, what book? I have never heard of one.

Alan Rowland did a new book of Remembrance but never came across Leonard B. This was done in 1991. It does not look as though he did MW .

He did though have the same problem -

A man survived the war but died (due to was related illness) after the cut off date. He was though added to the memorial. He should have been mentioned as serving and not killed.

This still does not solve the problem of no death cert for Leonard B. Although 'logically' He must have died after 31 August 1921 (cut off date) and 1923 (new Memorial).

steve

Alan Rowland did a new book of Remembrance but never came across Leonard B. This was done in 1991

I have never heard of this book, is it available do you know? I would be interested in obtaining a copy if it is.

Leonard is difficult as there is no MIC, no records on Ancestry and i have found no other reference to him through the trawl of the 3 local papers.

I do appreciate your help with this Steve, i hope something comes up......................

Cheers mate

Oh gawd another slip up :o and Anthony - don't be sorry, be glad... At least YOU will get to see the census returns long after I HAVE seen Leonard myself.....

I will get back to you then..... :unsure:

I used to log into a website Curious Fox and can't even remember why(I am SO OLD..way past my bedtime and all that !) today..and stumbled on someone looking for Bocking ancestors from the Bottesford area.....

I have sent the lady (Sylvia) a message explaining about our Leonard in the hope that she may have info. Somewhere in her family tree the name crops up but it has a G on the end..... Curious indeed.

Will be following that one up

I used to log into a website Curious Fox and can't even remember why(I am SO OLD..way past my bedtime and all that !) today..and stumbled on someone looking for Bocking ancestors from the Bottesford area.....

I have sent the lady (Sylvia) a message explaining about our Leonard in the hope that she may have info. Somewhere in her family tree the name crops up but it has a G on the end..... Curious indeed.

Hi Susan,

That's very interesting, his name on the memorial is Bocking, with the G on the end. It would be excellent if she knew anything, here's hoping, please!!!

Thanks again

I believe someone "back in the thread" suggested checking with psychiatric hospitals. Just a brief word of friendly advice, DONT go in person. We need continuity.

After being drawn to this thread now and again, I've come to a conclusion.

I have a mystery about a certain name, who shall remain nameless, who appears on 2 memorials.

I just can't do it to you!!!

Howard

Are you suggesting that if Anthony went in person, that they'd lock him up!!? :wacko:

Steve.

This still does not solve the problem of no death cert for Leonard B. Although 'logically' He must have died after 31 August 1921 (cut off date) and 1923 (new Memorial).

No, he almost certainly died before the end of 1919, as his wife remarried in Q4 of that year.

Are you suggesting that if Anthony went in person, that they'd lock him up!!?

To be honest, they probably would!! :unsure:

They say there are more out than in, maybe he would not get past the gates... I doubt any of us would in our search for Leonard.

Will follow up the thread on Curious Fox. Don't worry HE'S ALWAYS ON MY MIND..... dah dah dah dah dah dah dah .........

Susan. (self confessed loony)

Hi Anthony,

Could Mr Bockin have been posted and died in Ireland?

that could be why there's no death registration.

Just an idea.

I've followed this thread from the beginning, How maddening people don't just disappear do they?

Mel

Hi there Anthony,

Here's another couple, Died and buried at sea, or emigrated, but still done war service to qualify for the memorial.

Cheers Roger.

Mel,

Thanks for the post. Ireland has been checked as at the time of the Great War it counted as Home Service, so there should be a death certificate.

You're right though, people dont just disappear

Roger,

Thanks also for the input. We have searched the Canadian, NZ, Aussie, SA and Kiwi info but to no avail. I'm pretty sure the naval records have also been checked too.

Are you suggesting that if Anthony went in person, that they'd lock him up!!? :wacko:

Steve.

It seems to de driving everyone around the twist. It's a mystery and a half. Can't be too careful.

Lost my witt a bit here, got frozen out by the Bandwidth prob, last evening, :lol: but managed to get these little thingemies working :rolleyes:

Howard

No Leonard Bockin or Bocking is listed in the Ancestry WW1 Pension records

Re probate records. Birmingham Library has a set, 6th Floor Local Studies. Ask for Wills and Admonitions. They are bound in year order and on open shelves.

TR

I have re-read this entire thread, and made up a list of all the searches that have been made, with their results.

I have grouped similar types.

X means a negative result

? means result unknown

There are still some results unknown

I hope this is of help

Leonard_Bocking.doc

That's a useful list Christine. It shows just what an extensive search has been carried out. It defies belief that he can have slipped through so many nets.

I can not open the attachment!!!!!!!! lol

Mandy

Christine,

That is such a good list.

Only one other thing.

Re Railway......

I did get the book of St Paul's Service (held at St Paul's in the City) . There was a service held here to commemorate all those former railway workers who gave their lives in the Great War. Every one of the names were read out during the service apparently and are now within the covers of this book.

I got in in the hope that Leonard would emerge, but he did not.....

- No Leonard Bockin in there anywhere......

What a frustration..... I expect he is looking down on us and having a great big laugh......

God rest him.

Susan.