Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Bocking

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi all,

We all await with baited breath, go on girl knock our socks off.

Cheers Roger.

Evening everyone..... Anthony, you should have told them..... I would not mind.... well, here we go:

I have had a mad week... Found someone who has photos of my relatives I have been looking for for 20 years...

and today received the following from our friend (on Genes reunited) The Grandson of Leonard Bockin:

Inbox - Received Message

From: Subject: Date: Access to their tree Access to your tree

John Re: New message from Susan 15/02/2008 01:33:28

View Stop

John wrote:

"think I have located photo of Leonard Bockin"...

my reply:

THIS WAS MY REPLY:

Subject: Date: Access to their tree Access to your tree

John Re: Re: New message from Susan 15/02/2008 14:12:03

View Stop

John, Are you serious.... It would be fantasic if this were true. Someone has been searching for this fellow for up to 5 years on the great war forum and to receive this message is truly wonderful. He will be beside himself as will I, probably on the floor!!!! Flattened by the excitement........

my personal email is

either

susanhemmings@fsmail.net

or

susan.hemmings@nhs.net

Please, John can you reply and THANK YOU, YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY.I know you will make a lot of people happy if you do have a photo.

Thank you again John,

Susan

so, my motto for today as ever is : NEVER SAY NEVER.

and, as Anthony says, wouldn't it be wonderful if he had a military uniform on..... just to have sight of him naked would do me (well, suit me) just to actually know he existed....... :lol:

X

PS Leonard's dad - John Bockin death (in 1909) was registered by his son (Robert - Leonard's brother) (as Chris says) lived in Nottingham and died there. The mother (Elizabeth) must have gone to stay with him after her husband's death because I have found her death entry - registered in Nottingham: Elizabeth BOCKIN died quarter Dec 1919 Nottingham (reference 7b 321). she was aged 75 when she died......

Not only the LBM and Bar, but also the DCM, Do Come Monday, well done to that Girl, with true grit and determination(and some luck) we are all now seeing the approach to Shangrila and the mind blower.

If it dosn't get any nearer WELL DONE Susan.

Cheers Roger.

I have not got a bull terrier dog for nothing! Tenacity (as is the bull terrier nature) is the word for the day.

T for trying

E energetically

N whilst going (well) nuts really

A and always 'anging in there

C but can't give up as....

I It's getting nearer, and

T today we hear a bit more

Y YES - he did exist......

wooopppppyyyyy doooooo

better not get too excited, incase it comes to nothing. but never say never...ever and ever.....

susan. :wub:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! So exciting!

Forgive me for this, but ....

Anthony, I take it that you've checked the local paper archive for any mention of him. Have you tried looking for relatives who might be able to shed some light? It's a long shot, especially so long after the event, but it might be worth looking on genesreunited or the Ancestry boards.

Grace, Anyone who finds out anything about Leonard can be forgiven anything!!

I think the day after you original post, Stebie went off and pressed the "send" button to John Smith (Leonard's grandson) and its taken this long for him to say he thinks he has a picture of leonard. Oh I wish I did....

fingers crossed though....

I think for the last year we have tried all sorts of computations to try to find him, but poor Anthony has been going for even longer than that (I fear!!)

Susan.

Let's just hope that John has some new information. Mustn't forget that GR & similar have new people joining all the time .... wouldn't it be marvellous if another relative of Leonard has turned up!

See i told you!!!

Ha ha!!! To say i'm a little pleased is an understatement!!!

All hail Susan Hemmings LBM and Bar!!! :lol:

I hesitate to be a wet blanket - but what makes the relative think it's Leonard as opposed someone else? Without some other corroboration in the photo (like it being a wedding and the wife is known - or there's something written on the back), how will you know?

J

Well we will have to wait and see, and hope it is not too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh the excitement!

Mandy

hesitate to be a wet blanket - but what makes the relative think it's Leonard as opposed someone else? Without some other corroboration in the photo (like it being a wedding and the wife is known - or there's something written on the back), how will you know?

Hi John,

I presume he has got it from someone else in the family, or he's got bored of the emails and is sending it to shut us all up! :lol:

Fair point though, we will have to see....

Bet I know someone whose in Bocking Heaven :P

Is it OK to say that?

Nearly there young 'un

good luck, this may be the end of the road, thanks to Susan

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Even if we do get the photo, it may not be the end of the road, we have to find where he's buried or commemorated and when!!

Although, to be honest, if the photo does come through, that'll do me just nicely ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening everyone.

PREPARE TO MEET LEONARD..............................

post-8059-1204740579.jpg

John Smith (his Grandson) sent me this only today.

What a handsome chap.......

Hi Susan & all,

SHANGRILA and the promised land, at last nice to meet Mr Leonard Bocking.

Cheers Roger.

PS..... this was the message received from John a short while ago........

"Hi Susan

My Grandmother showed it to me many years ago,then it vanished. To cut a long story short

I recently went through a divorce and it came to light again.

Keep in touch....let me know if you come across any info on my family.

Regards, John".

Wonder if Leonard engineered its disappearance and reappearance!!! spooky.... who knows, perhaps he will reveal a bit more about his demise......

(I probably have more information on his family than he does, poor chap - will have to email him back now to update him on births, deaths etc etc).

Susan.

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan,

A public thanks, i am your slave for eternity!

We are not worthy, We are not worthy, We are not worthy, We are not.........................................................

Here's a higher res photo

post-2154-1204753739.jpg

Well done all. Brilliant!

Anthony,

YOU have done him justice. Lovely to see such a nice clear picture.....

Thank you.

Susan.

Great thread, congrats to all involved.

Had a quick go at cleaning picture up.

Edit; wasn't happy with background.

Thanks Susan.

Regards,

Garry

Shred, THAT is superb. Anthony will love that.

Many thanks, he looks more handsome than ever.

Susan.

Thanks Susan,

I have changed the picture since your last comment. For the record here is the picture I posted.

Regards,

Garry

Garry,

That's great.

Well done.

Susan.