Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Bocking

Anthony Bagshaw

miracles do happen and when you least expect it, Susan so keep hoping,

Mandy

Mandy,

Saw your post on Stephen's thread, you have read all this and you don't follow it, surely not!! :lol:

Now you have read it, you won't be able to leave it alone, just ask Susan. It's driving her crazy, i think more than myself.

Leonard is a bit of a forum legend as you can tell, i've almost given up all hope of finding him to be honest, i've added to the book what people have found so far.

So far though unfortunately, i haven't had any responses to any requests in the papers here and in Bottesford.

Oh well, we will keep looking......................

PS welcome to the LB frustration society! :lol:

Thanks Anthony,

think i have it sorted,

we now he was born, married and possibly died, is that right?

Have you checked with local Psychiatric hospitals if that is possible of course, shell shock comes to mind, jones and a wannabe!!! LOL

mandy

we now he was born, married and possibly died, is that right?

Erm, sort of.

We know he was born in Bottesford on the Notts/Leics border, was married in Mansfield in 1904, but we don't know where he died or when. The last bits the problem!!

Evening all,

My friend at work stuck up a photo of her great grandma just a week ago. I kept looking at it and seemed drawn to it somehow.

She said her husband was killed in WW1. and she has remarried a few years later.So, to cut a long story short I came home, found the first marriage, found the second, had found the children's births and tonight came home and found his service record on ancestry. how queer. all in the space of two nights (eye drooping search).

It is really sad, because on the second page of his service record he has written in capital letters "I LOVE NELL TAYLOR" (his wife's maiden name) and on the 6th page there is a list of his effects, his wedding ring, cigarette case, penknife, bullet (looks like holder) etc etc.

talk about sad.

It was as if he wanted to make an appearance. God rest and love him. He seemed to get a bit restless when she pinned up the photo and it started from there.

Just maybe though it was ME who got restless.....

I had to trawl all the CWGC names to find a possible regiment as the photo she gave me had a blurred cap badge.

So the moral of this is there is hope and i truly hope we (I wont say unearth) find Leonard.

I can't rest until we do.

Anthony is right. He is on my mind all the blasted time. God rest him, wherever he is.

I still wonder if he was killed in that mining accident in 1915 (the one where the names are not printed on the internet) but we know it occurred and men were killed.

Another member of the LB Saddo Club logging in....

The other night on Ancestry, purely by happy accident, I found the partial service papers of a Tibshelf chap buried in the file of another man with the same name. That chap was findable on the Ancestry index but my Tibshelf chap wasn't, because it wasn't really suposed to be there (I only noticed the change when a different service number cropped up).

Anyway, this got me thinking that there just might be a chance that an LB service record was lurking in another Bocking's papers.

I spent three hours trawling all the Bocking SR's.

And he.....

Oh, did the Bocking pension records too.

I really must log off the internet tonight and get a life.

Andrew,

From another Saddo..... well done anyway.

I think I need to get a life as well...... :D

You now have me at it now!!!!!!! :lol:

where the devil is he?????????

Mandy

Susan,

Thank you for the continued interest and support.

Andy,

Thanks for looking through those for me. I appreciate your help with this. Problem is, it get's quite addictive as we know, i appreciate your time with this

Mandy,

Told you!! :lol:

I appreciate your help with this.

Really not a problem.

"We will remember them"

That's what it's all about, and we'll find him one day.

Andy 'still not got a life 'cos I logged back on anyway' Hesketh

Have you looked in the Probate Records for England?

Also, the Leonard Bocking the policeman, who got a George Medal in 1956. Did you trace him backwards at all?

He is probably the right age to be a connection.

I am still a saddo too. Logged back on.

Nice fresh approach from Christine......

I don't think he died!!! :blush:

As I have the WW1 deaths, I decided to check again.

Bockings listed-

Bocking - Fred, Harry, Stephen and William.

NO - Bockin or Bokin.

Officers - Bocking - Bernard and John W.

Navy - None that I could see.

Booker - Leonard William Pte 2nd RDF 1917. - Is he close enough.!

I ended up Bocked out and still cannot find him.

Have you checked to see if he was the Air raid Warden or Dog Warden or any warden really :rolleyes:

No one at Bottesford seems to be researching the family either.

Have we tried the Nott's rootsweb site yet? If not I will try a plea on there.

On the PLUS side - My Grandaughter was 6th out of 150 in the Coventry Junior schools championship this morning.

SM

On the PLUS side - My Grandaughter was 6th out of 150 in the Coventry Junior schools championship this morning

Hi Steve,

That's good news, i bet you're really proud. Is she free to help the Bockin search?

I'm certain that he died as his wife re-married shortly after the War, although i have no concrete proof that he did die. I haven't tried the Notts rootsweb site yet, i'd be grateful for anything you could do for me on that front.

Cheers mate

Christine,

Thanks for the idea about the probate records, problem is i wouldn't know where to find them.

Andy, Susan,

As ever you are both complete stars, the project owes you 2 so much, i couldn't have got to where i have without the look ups and my constant nagging of you both. So thanks.

I have had a brainwave, how about i get some badges and car stickers made which say ''Do you know Leonard Bockin?''. Think that would spread the word? :lol:

Thanks for the idea about the probate records, problem is i wouldn't know where to find them

Title National probate calendars 1858-1943. [microform]

Publication info. [Winchester, England] : [Hampshire Record Office], [1995?]

I have no idea where you would find them in Nottinghamshire, but try your largest library or your Genealogical society.

Christine

Thanks Christine, appreciate the pointers

Andy, Susan,

As ever you are both complete stars, the project owes you 2 so much, i couldn't have got to where i have without the look ups and my constant nagging of you both. So thanks.

Nagging? As if.

Stop writing such ridiculous comments and get on with your research.

post-150-1201381990.jpg

I tried the probate on ancestry and got nothing

mandy

:lol:

Posters and car stickers. Now that is a novel idea......

Perhaps one of those aerial displays thrown in.....

My mind keeps going back to that mining disaser (or those mining disasters). Rufford 7.2.1913 and Bentinck 30.6.1915.

I keep wondering where we could find names of those that perished. The site (Durham miners) only lists disasters involving a certain amount of men and in these two cases the tally of those that died was not great enough. The timing is in the right zone though. And, if he perished underground and was never recovered?? - But it still does not explain why no death registration. It might explain why he was on the war memorial if he could not be released for active duty because of his occupation (coal miner on his daughter's birth certificate)........

Got hooked up again with Leonard Barrand - the chap born at the same time in the same place as "our" Leonard. Bottesford... around the same time. Mum Betsey (Leonard's mum i seem to recall was Elizabeth - i even found "our" Leonard's mum and dad's marriage last night on Ancestry in something like 1866 and the older brothers and sisters he had). Where on earth have they all gone. Did the family name die out. It is VERY weird.... perhaps he is the original Reggie Perrin.

Still waiting to hear from the chap on Genes Reunited (but i think Anthony has already had a reply from "the grandson" - so methinks that is another dead end up an already blocked creak!!)....

Oh arrrgghhh driving me bonkers. May be down about it, but i am not out.... YET.

:rolleyes:

I managed to cobble most of the names from the Bentinck colliery accident together from newspaper reports, however one of the deceased was helpfully buried as an unknown. :o

None of the other names were even close to Bocking. Whether the "unknown" then became known is another matter. As the newspaper I was looking at was the Nottingham Evening Post, it is possible that they wouldn't run a late identification story if he wasn't in their "catchment" area. Maybe a paper local to Mansfield would have?

Andy,

That's brill. :lol:

James,

I have searched all the Mansfield area papers again and have looked through all the pit disasters that were mentioned, couldn't find anything reference Leonard.

There are a fair few pit accidents, as you would expect, with a lot of men being killed. The papers carry very good reports of these, unfortunately, if he did die down the mine it wasn't reported or as James says he could have been one of the unknowns. So it may have been reported, we just haven't realised it.

Susan,

I did have a response from his Grandson, he knows nothing about his Grandfather at all, he only has a will from his family side which mentions that Leonard Bockin was deceased.

BTW who is Reggie Perrin???? :unsure:

I just don't understand why there is no death registration for him though, that's the puzzling thing.

Someone HAS to know who he was don't they. How can he just disappear altogether??

Been thinking about this for a moment. As far as we can tell there is no record of him being registered as deceased according to the BMD registers right up into the 1960's. How does the Overseas death register work, was it only for Servicemen? Could Leonard have been non-serving but still overseas, eg. Red Cross or even with the French (Foreign Legion?) If he had died in these circumstances would it be recorded by the British?