Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Bocking

Anthony Bagshaw

Picked up this thread looking for something else - Sounds fascinating !!

This is probably a stupid question, but do you think he served at all? The reason I ask this as from my own experience of family history research, people tell 'little white lies' which end up becoming family legends. (For instance I was told my grandfather died in WWII but he actually died of TB in the '50s which had a stigma attched to it then).

Do you think he might have left them? The children get a new 'daddy' and they ask where the other one went. Would it be easier to say "He was killed in the war darling" rather than he left us or maybe he couldnt face life at home after having served so went then? So later on, the locals are organising a war memorial and they think they would forward their dads name. If this is the case, he could have been alive well after his 'widow' remarried. Also have you tried the Notts Free Press for his death? My G grandfather was listed in there (he was from Leyton Avenue, Skeby) and alot of the photos from the old notts war memorial project are from that newspaper.

Finally, I found this on doing a random yahoo and wondered if he might be related or it might be him. There is a picture too

http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/kingslynn/mkingslynn/klmac.htm

Regards

Carol

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the comments.

There is no evidence to suggest whether Leonard did, or did not, serve in any of the Forces during the war- this is part of the problem we have encountered and why making tracing him has been so very difficult even after all these years.

Leonard's ''widow'' re-married in 1921 which was a good 2 years before the war memorial was unveiled in the position in which it still stands to this day. I am sure that somewhere i have seen this marriage certificate refer to her as a widow.

Someone thought Leonard's name was worthy of inclusion onto the war memorial and Mansfield Woodhouse Urban District Council would have accepted it to have been listed. MWUDC actually took charge of the planning, building and unveiling of the war memorial so someone must have known his fate and whether or not it was actually related to the war effort.

MWUDC sent flyers round to every single household in Mansfield Woodhouse asking for details of any relatives who died during the war years. These were then collected a couple of days later and the names reviewed for acceptance. Leonard's name actually appears in the main list of accepted names and is not one of the 'late' additions listed towards the bottom of the lists.

I have attached below both the form sent to MW households and the page showing Leonard's name firmly nestled with the 'main batch' of accepted names.

Incidentally, there are a number of men who are buried in Mansfield Woodhouse Cemetery who served with the Forces and have CWGC status. They died between 1919 and 1921 but are not commemorated on the war memorial at all. The reason being that their deaths were not attributable to the war, all having died of illness- one chap from severe diabetes.

Had Leonard's death not have been caused as a result of the war then my opinion is that he would not have been included on the memorial whatsoever.

Leonard's children would have been very young during the war years, maybe 10 years at the very most.

post-2154-1264027456.jpg

post-2154-1264027465.jpg

OK guys,

I have been through the entire threadand posted the 'important' details- i have only copied and posted the info from the threads but do think it will certainly help give a good indication what we know and what has been suggested.......enjoy......

Birth : Leonard Bockin 1883 Oct-Nov-Dec Grantham (1837-1933) Leicestershire, Lincolnshire Volume: 7a Page: 456

Marriage : Leonard Bockin 1904 Apr-May-Jun Mansfield Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Volume: 7b Page: 165

1891 Census

Name: Leonard Bockin

Estimated birth year: abt 1884

Relation: Son

Father's name: John

Mother's name: Elizabeth

Where born: Bottesford, Leicestershire, England

Civil parish: Bottesford

Ecclesiastical parish: Bottesford

Town: Bottesford

County/Island: Leicestershire

Street address: 14 Chapel Street.

Registration district: Grantham

Sub-registration district: Grantham South

ED, institution, or vessel: 22

Household Members: Name Age

Ada M Bockin 10

Edith Bockin 3

Elizabeth Bockin 47

Grace Bockin 5

John Bockin 46

Leonard Bockin 7

Robert I Bockin 13

1901 Census

Name: Leonard Bockin

Estimated birth year: abt 1884

Relation: Son

Father's name: John

Mother's name: Elizabeth

Where born: Bottesford, Leicestershire, England

Civil parish: Bottesford

Ecclesiastical parish: Bottesford St Mary

Town: Bottesford

County/Island: Leicestershire

Street address: 10 Belvoir Road.

Registration district: Grantham

Sub-registration district: Grantham South

ED, institution, or vessel: 22

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 204

Household Members: Name Age

Edith Bockin 13

Elizabeth Bockin 57

John Bockin 56

Leonard Bockin 17

Robert J Bockin 24

The entries on the Marriage register page:

Leonard Bockin 1904 Apr-May-Jun Mansfield Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire

Sarah Ann Clarke 1904 Apr-May-Jun Mansfield Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire

This is what we know- Leonard Bockin was born in Bottesford, Leicestershire in 1884. The 1901 Census shows that he was a Railway Porter, living at 10 Belvoir Road, Bottesford. He was living with his father John aged 56 and his Mother Elizabeth aged 57. His Brother Robert aged 24 and sister Edith aged 13 also resided.

He was married in the April, May, June quarter of 1904 in Mansfield to Sarah Ann Clarke in Mansfield.

His name appears on the roll on the documents in the Nottingham Archives

He can be found with a reference to Mansfield, see above

His name is shown on the memorial cast in bronze as L Bocking

I have searched 2 cemeteries in Mansfield Woodhouse looking for a private memorial to him, nothing

He does not appear on the Bottesford War Memorial in Lincs or Leics

He does not appear in the 3 local papers covering a large area of Notts

What has been speculated

He was a Canadian, Australian, New Zealander or other Commonwealth force.

He is an ALIAS, whose real name has not been found (or it has but we don't know about it)

He never actually served overseas, hence no MIC

He is not commemorated by the CWGC but there is no death certificate to be found anywhere

He was in one of the Home Defence forces, the Royal Defence Corps Etc.

He was a visitor to Mansfield Woodhouse and someone added his name at the time.

His name is spelt wrong.

He doesn't actually exist, not a real person.

This chap has been suggested but does not appear to have been a casualty Charles L Bockin Royal Garrison Artillery 87379 Serjeant

There is a birth registerd in the Dec Qtr 1904 Mansfield RD Constance Grace Bocking

The death of presumably the same person is registered in Mansfield March Qtr 1926 as Constance G Bockin, aged 21 years (this time without the 'g')

Could this be the first child of Leonard Bockin(g)?

If so it could point to the family still being in the area in 1926.

The Marriage Indexes have a marriage registered in the Mansfield RD in Dec Qtr 1919 of:

Sarah A. Bockin and William T Collins (7b 376)

Probably Leonard Bockin(g)'s wife the former Sarah Anne Clarke

Email received from Mr Bockin(g)'s Great Grandson:

The only information in my possesion is the last will of Mary Jane Bockin, his sister which mentions sister Edith Kate, Ada Mabel, brothers Herbert and Leonard (deceased in her lifetime)

I think they originated in Bottesford, but I know nothing of his death.....or life for that matter

We know that he was born in the December quarter 1883, in Bottesford. He had brothers Herbert (Jun 1874), Robert John (Sep 1877), and sisters Mary Jane (Sep 1875), Ada Mabel (Dec 1880), Grace (Mar 1886) and Edith (Dec 1887).

In 1871 you can see that there were 3 other, earlier children - Ellen (perhaps a half sister), William and Arthur.

You can find him in 1881, 1891 and 1901; in the latter he was a railway porter. (Did he stay with the railways - have you checked whether there is a railway roll of service - sorry if you've already done this - I can't remember).

You know his parents were John Bockin and his wife Elizabeth. Probably Elizabeth Geeson, married Dec 1866.

Anthony

I have a couple of similar examples from around this area driving me barmy, so I know how you feel.

If as you say there is this marriage;

The Marriage Indexes have a marriage registered in the Mansfield RD in Dec Qtr 1919 of:

Sarah A. Bockin and William T Collins (7b 376)

Probably Leonard Bockin(g)'s wife the former Sarah Anne Clarke

It would be worth the seven quid to get a copy of this certificate, and if it states widow of etc, etc, then you know for sure.

Best of luck

Peter

Anthony, Thank you for the recap. I note that his mother is likely to have been Elizabeth Geeson. Another Bottesford soldier was Arthur Geeson - Private Leics Rgt 2842. France 29/6/1915 wounded summer 1915 as a report about him appears in the Bottesford Parish magazine of October 1915 stating that he was in hospital and eventually discharged on 13/7/1916.

I shall be speaking with one of the bigwigs of the Bottesford history society this weekend.

Jonathan

from 1911 census. No Leonard.

56 PORTLAND ST MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE

CLARKE, HARRIET MOTHER WIDOW F 67 NOTTS MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE

CLARKE, JAMES SON WIDOWER M 47 COTTON SPINNTER NOTTS MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE

CLARKE, J G SON SINGLE M 41 MINER NOTTS MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE

BOCKING, S A DAUGHTER MARRIED F 26 NOTTS MANSFIED WOODHOUS

CLARKE, ERNEST GRANDSON SINGLE M 22 COTTON SPINNER NOTTS MANFIELD WOODHOUSE

CLARKE, FRANK GRANDSON M 13 MILL HAND NOTTS MANFIELD WOODHOUSE

BOCKING, C G GRANDDAUGHTER F 6 NOTTS MANFIELD WOODHOUSE

BOCKING, MABEL GRANDDAUGHTER F 4 NOTTS MANFIELD WOODHOUSE

BOCKING, ETHEL GRANDDAUGHTER F 3 NOTTS MANFIELD WOODHOUSE

I have a copy of the 1911 Census page which I forwarded to Anthony. No misnaming or omissions from the Index are on the original.

Steve.

Heres a question then.

If his widow remarried, would she need to proove she was a widow. Ie produce a death certificate to the vicar on remarriage?

What Im thinking is, if you knew which church she re-married at, might they have kept some record of the circumstances?

Carol

Married April to June quarter of 1904, daughter born in the December quarter (?Oct to Dec?) 1904.....

Did he abandon his wife with a young baby which is why he disappears?

I would agree that in tight knit communities such as this seems to have been, most knew much about their neighbours.

With other local men serving, he must have been too, to be included so easily in the RoH List

She must have been certain he was dead (or never to re-appear) to remarry, or the tongues would wag....

I think we could write a best seller using this story line..... how many possible endings?

Thanks again all for your comments. The years that have been into finding Leonard are staggering, there are so many possibilities as to what happened it is ridiculous.

Jonathan,

I am very much looking forward to seeing what comes of your meeting, i am very very grateful to you for taking the time.

You have found in the 1911 census, I assume :

BOCKIN, Elizabeth Head Widow F 67 1844 Charwoman Redmile Leicestershire

13 Belvoir Road Bottesford Nottingham

BOKIN, Robert Boarder Single M 32 1879 Railway Platelayer Notts Bottesford

Great Northern Cottages Linby Nottingham

BOCKIN, Mary Jane Servant Single F 30 1881 Domestic General Bottesford Notts

14 the Green Bottesford Nottinghamshire

BOCKING, Grace Servant Single F 25 1886 Nurse Domestic Bottisford Leicester

The Rectory Cossington Near Bridgwater

BOCKIN, Edith Domestic Servant Single F 23 1888 Bottesford

Dabry [sic] Cottage Crosspath Radlett

and FreeBMD index references for

Deaths Jun 1909 (>99%)

BOCKIN John 65 Grantham 7a 260

Deaths Dec 1924 (>99%)

BOCKING Elizabeth 80 Blaby 7a 70

Deaths Dec 1927 (>99%)

Bockin Robert J 50 Nottingham 7b 370

Has anyone got any credit left for GenesReunited - I'm too mean to shell out £5 !

I see there is a Military Death of a Leonard Hocking in 1917. Intrigued to know who he is and whether he is the missing man.

Thanks ShropshireMad, that is probably him, but I don't know why I didn't find him when I searched CWGC.

Have another query?

On the 1911 census index there is a W HOCKIN (male) aged 28 living in Mansfield.

Could this possibly be a mistranscription for Leonard?

Thanks all for the replies trying to help find Leonard.

The search continues...

Has anyone looked for wills?

a) of him,

B) his parents,

c) his other brothers and sisters

d) his wife/ widow

in order to see whether any of them mention him, like his sister's did.

Christine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the reply, apologies for the late reply i have been off line for a while.

I have to admit that i haven't, to be quite honest i wouldn't know where to start. Any pointers would be massively appreciated

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the reply, apologies for the late reply i have been off line for a while.

I have to admit that i haven't, to be quite honest i wouldn't know where to start. Any pointers would be massively appreciated

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring this one up to the top again!! - but I have now spent a considerable time delving into the Bottesford living history web site and speaking with villagers but...

http://www.bottesfordhistory.org.uk/

we have still NOT been able to unravel the movements of Leonard

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Don't be sorry! :whistle:

Thanks for the time you are putting into this, sadly i don't have the time i used to have so things from me have gone stale...slightly....

• 1 year later...

Well,

It has almost been 5 years since I started this thread trying to find out who Leonard Bockin(g) actually was and when he died. Sadly, even after all these years, many sleepless nights and everything else that comes with it, I still have no idea at all.

I was, of course, the proud recipient of a photograph from Leonard's grandson some years ago and of course his marriage certificate and some very very amazing help from my friends on the GWF. Other than that despite numerous searches, both high and low, Leonard still remains something of an enigma.

The search for Leonard has been enjoyable but I really don't think that Leonard will ever reveal his true fate.

Someone somewhere must know who he is, maybe one day I (we) will find out.

Until such a day comes and because we have just had Remembrance day. Leonard Bockin(g) rest in peace, you haven't half been tricky!!!

• 1 year later...

This could be rubbing salt into old wounds but there is a W. L. Bocking (904) 10th Battalion (T.F) in the Roll of Honour printed in the Manchester Courier 9th Jul 1915.

Also reported as wounded in the Chelmsford Chronicle 28th Sep 1917, R.F.A. - Gnr. L. Bocking

And reported missing L. Bocking, E. Surrey Reg printed in the Essex Newsman 15th Jun 1918

Here's the death of Leonard's daughter in 1926, still at Portland St.

WARSOP MOTOR FATALITY. AN ERROR OF JUDGMENT, SAYS THE CORONER. There was a conflict of evidence inquest Mansfield yesterday body of Constance Grace Bockin, aged 21, of Portland-street, Mansfield Woodhouse. who had died in Mansfield Hospital Saturday as the result of a collision between two motor cycles at Warsop on Thursday last. She was riding pillion. After hearing the evidence of police-constable who witnessed the accident and of the two drivers, the Coroner said that he would leave those concerned to fight out the matter another place. was satisfied that Miss Bockin was accidentally killed and there was not sufficient evidence before him to show that any blame attached to anyone. His own opinion was that both riders were a little on the wrong side of the road and that there was an error of judgement on somebody’s part

There is a record for L Bockin in the Midland Railway coaching department records which show that he worked at Bulwell and then transferred to Mansfield Woodhouse. The record shows that he resigned from the railway 24/4/04.