Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

"As regards the men and working parties, I now always endeavour to give them a definite job. Some of the other Regiments who come to help us do nothing. It was rather comic, two nights ago, to tell them that I wanted 1,200 sandbags filled, and emptied on to a parapet. They came slipping and tumbling about in a casual, off-hand way, and I never saw such amazement as when I said this, and they said to themselves, 'By goodness ! Have we got to work ?,

When up in these trenches I do a little sniping, and see the listening posts and all else is in order, but it is a somewhat wearisome and cold occasion till return just before dawn. Always armed with a revolver and two respirators. From trenches, and still more for our listening posts, you hear the Bosche talking and laughing and digging quite well. Last night we had two men sent up to listen and say what Germans they were, and I had to warn off two good men to take them where they wanted. My men were very amusing after they had finished, saying how terrified these two were - they would go by communication trenches, not above ground, as far as possible, and then kept wanting to listen from well behind our posts, but ultimately they got them on a bit, and they returned in safety, but more muddy than when they arrived with beautiful clean boots ! such is the staff.

4 p.m. October 7.

"I have just been adjusting the periscopes. These always make me nervous, as I do not know if the men look with sufficient closeness to really watch for any one moving - if they were gillies from a scotch deer forest, instead of from Canning Town, I should feel differently !....

This is the sort of time when I specially greatly long to see you all, and be back at home for a bath and a change, and place to lay out my things. You would not say I had much here, but a small dug-out, everything pretty muddy, and nowhere in particular to put things, make a few seem many. Then a sit and a talk. Some day this will be ! By a fire in a clean dry room !"

To his Mother.

Trenches

5.30 p.m. Wednesday, October 6, 1915.

"Such a joy to have about half-a-dozen fellows in two dug-outs just by me doing some decent singing, and in goods spirits. This is due to the fact of to-morrow going out of the trenches, and to a fine afternoon and evening. I gave one of them one of your mouth-organs this afternoon, which probably started it and keeps it going."

So now he has supplies of mouth organs... :)

Marina

Hi Marina,

Looks that way, but in a previous letter he did thank his Mother for sending the mouth organs out and asked for some more.

Andy

To his Father.

Trenches,

Friday, October 8, 1915.

"We lay great stress on ammunition boxes not being opened, and then return after another Regiment has been here to find them opened, and the weather thus got in, and the trench littered with ammunition !

Still we struggle along, but it is tantalizing to see the organization that evidently exists in the German lines.

It appears possible we shall move from these lines after this time in, bit I hope not to trenches on which the commencement of work is necessary.............

Last night the Germans evidently spotted a party 300 yards to our right, and gave them about twenty rounds of shrapnel - suddenly opening after being dead quiet. I have not heard whether they obtained their objective.

These working parties very much bring trouble on themselves - talking, shouting and tumbling. There is no doubt our R.B. men are very different, but anything of a whisper seems well nigh an impossibilty.

Even on patrols or listening posts, when utmost importance not to be heard, a low voice seems impossible. Isn't it strange ?"

To his Mother.

Trenches,

1 p.m. Saturday, October 9, 1915.

"I heard this morning, from a man here, about the amazing truce last Christmas, when this Battalion was at Armentieres. The things that happened were extraordinary; also the way it commenced.

The two lines of trenches were so near that they could shout across, and during the truce they worked together with us in putting up a barbed wire entanglement between. Mjor Pigot was one of the first to go in response to their call that they would meet us half-way. He went with another man at night, and when part of the way they called out, 'How many have you with you ?' He said 'One,' but they said, 'There is one lying behind you.' He said it was a dead cow. One Bosche came round and saw it was so. Exchanged cigars, cigarettes, photo's etc. In one place a beautifully clean Officer came out and had the cheek to remark, 'Your trenches must be very muddy.' We told him the communication trenches were in some parts.

Just been arranging with my Platoon Sergeant what work to get on to to-night. Some are on sentry, some have to fetch rations, and others to rivet sides with hurdles."

4.30 p.m. Sunday, October 10, 1915.

"I had breakfast or lunch at about 1 o'clock, and then a wash and shave, which was a comfort, as last night I did the muddiest bit of work I have ever had to do in my life before.

A bit of trench here, which has not been used for very many months, had become too bad. At the bottom, if such a thing exists, are footboards, on top of these about two feet of mud and water. The previous night several men baled out a good deal of liquid mud and water. I let them stop because they said the smell of it made them feel sick. Last night we went on, and I 'ran' it. It was impossible to get quite down to footboards, as water all the time came in, so the work consisted in getting up these boards under about 6 inch to 8 inch of slime. I got up three in about five hours, about 5 foot long each, so you can imagine the work.............

This trencha od myde i to rivet te sid wit wooden hurdles five feet high and six long, then put footboards on piles, making them about two feet six above what the others were. To do this, the old ones have to come out, as the trench is narrow. The suction in raising these in sticky mud is very great."

Trenches.

7.30 p.m. Monday 11.

"We are to be relieved to-night, which is quite satisfactory ! This means quite five hours march."

To his Mother.

Billets,

3 p.m. Tuesday, October 12, 1915.

".................We have had ten days in the trenches, which have been quite enough - more or less eventful. The chief event the last day or two was a pretty heavy bombardment, beginning about 9 a.m. yesterday. My bit of the line got off lighter than some, but was blessed more with whizz-bangs than high explosives...........

The nights have been very dark lately, and as work has to be done without light, there has been some difficulty. Last night also very dark. We left at 10.30, and came the eight or nine miles in splendid time, thanks very largely to the mouth organs you sent, which are invaluable for the troops, though they last a disappointingly short time, owing to the reed in them breaking..........."

To his Sister Rosamond.

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

October 15, 1915.

"We have just finished a parade for the benefit of our new General inspecting us and making a speech to say that he is glad to ave our rigade in the Division, which I should jolly well think is the case ! We also had a similar parade on leaving Billets for our General to say farewell !

...... A sort of chilly misty October morning with a crowd of men (nice way to describe the R.B. on parade) marching out across stubble, etc., I felt like retriever trials; with a lot of horses in one field you would have felt like a hunt meeting......."

To his Mother.

In Tents,

October 17, 1915.

".........We had a good Communion Service at 8 this morning in a barn of the farm in whose fields we are camped. The ground is on quite a fair slope, so should keep pretty good for the winter...... In the centre is a big open square in which football proceeds vigorously....... Your letter of Friday just come telling of Hubert (1) being killed - the best fellow that ever lived ! It is hard to bear his loss, as also of so many whom I knew well. He is quite irreplacable. Please let Uncle N. and Aunt M. have my real sympathy if you are writing, but probably I shall write too.........My pen refuses to write, but something to cover all troubles has just arrived. The Coy. Orderly Sergeant asks me my address for 'Leave !' This is an unexpected joy. How I shall crawl about trenches to keep clear of any German farewells !........Oh ! really magnificent to think of seeing you all again."

(1) Hubert Pelly, killed Oct 9, 1915, Gallipoli peninsula.

Back to the Salient

October - December 1915.

"Got to Victoria 2 a.m. ; very nice to see refreshemnt there. Slept two hours in Telegraph Office at Liverpool Street Station, whence caught 5.50 train, reaching Easneye 7.45; all just getting up. Joy indeed."

So runs an entry in Andrew's journal for October 21, 1915.

It was his first leave from the Front, and appreciated accordingly by his family as well as by himself. After six blissful days at home he left for the Front again on the 27th, rejoing his unit in their trenches in the Ypres Salient. He writes to his mother on October 28 on his way to the trenches :

"I continue to live on the 'send off' given me by every one. It was a vile night coming here on Thursday. but I have survived all right.......T., our Parson, is leaving for another Division. I have told him Arthur [his brother] might be able to come and he has made a note of it. If A. liked to write to Chaplain-General I believe he could have T.'s place as Chaplain to this Brigade [17th]"

Hi Marina,

Looks that way, but in a previous letter he did thank his Mother for sending the mouth organs out and asked for some more.

Andy

Preparing in advance. What a thoughtful character he is!

An unexpected bonus in the Chritsmas Truce story.

New insight on an officer's life too - I have never thought of them as getting in under the slime and shoving up the boards alongside the men. He really does lead by example.

Marina

3rd R.B.

Thursday, 28-10-15.

"......The sound of the guns once more - only occasional firing, but none the less vile........

I shall always remember the send-off of the servants. They all in the porch, including Jane Eary, and, outside, Sandy and Hilton, Mrs. Bradley, and all ni the laundry. It is a pity every one cannot come up just to the trenches, and so picture my life out here more completely.....

The King and Prince of Wales were round here yesterday, and it was no doubt in connection with them that our train was so slow last night."

................................................................................

All this winter (1915-16) to the end of February was spent in the famoud Salient, with its everlasting sea of mud underfoot and almost incessant rain of shells and bullets overhead. Like thopusands of others, Andrew stuck it out with undaunted heart and cheerful countenance.

Here follow some of his letters of the time.

To his Mother.

Trenches,

October 30, 1915.

"We are pretty close to the Germans here and apparently the Regiment we relieved were properly kept in order by them; they dared not light fire or speak or snipe, and working parties of Germans were even apparenty getting out of their trenches in front by night. The Germans were sniping very heavily. Now by vigorous return of sniping, as we are fortunately able to do, and by more shells than they give us, we have quite reversed the tables, which is a comfort."

With Hazelrigg nieces at Noseley Hall

post-1871-1164930932.jpg

To his Sister Rosamond.

In the Trenches,

3 p.m. Monday, 1-11-15.

"We had a lot of rain both yesterday and to-day, but there is no deep water in the trenches, which is everything. You have only to experience the misery of water to intensely sympathize with those who have it, and, if combined with leaky dug-outs, to say the life is almost impossible.............

We call across to the Germans here, and try to encourage talking, as true information might be obtained. It sometimes takes some considerable talking of 'Hullo Fritz,' 'Whats the matter that you don't answer Fritz !' etc., before getting an answer, which is usually 'Kamarade.'

Yesterday several Germans were talking to one of our men, and even momentarily just showing their heads, hands, etc., above their parapet. They said they were sick of the War. We said we were quite satisfied !

With the rain a lot of the parapets have been falling in - now I can feel for those at F. Cottage, or other similar positions.

I have just passed H. in a trench, poor chap, very troubled because 'they have asked me, as the Parosn is away, to go and read the Burial Service over the fellow who was killed in my platoon last night. Have you a Prayer Book ? But even if I had one, I don't know what to read. Will you do it for me ?'

In Trenches,

11 a.m. Tuesday, November 2.

"..........Rian all night, and continuing hard - absolutely vile. My dug-out is one of the very few dry ones, and I am sitting now with two fellows wrapped up asleep in their coats by me..........

A lot of men got no sleep, thanks to being flooded out of their dug-outs. I managed to get three into mine in the middle of the night who were trying to eke life out under a waterproof sheet, with a brazier they were keeping alight - they were dead tired, and asleep almost before they lay down.

I always go out at times during the night to see sentries, and work going on, and very hard work it is thus turning out into the darkness and rain and slipperiness.

Endless bits of parapet and trenches have been falling in with this rain, owing to no riveting having been done, and a vast work it is to make them good. Trenches being blocked, working parties have to turn out to clear them. It is dangerous having so much that may fall in at any time. The whole thing will, no doubt, come in in time,and it remains to be seen if we and other Regiments can keep pace with it."

11 a.m. Thursday, November 4, 1915.

"...........We have had a time this last forty-eight hours - a proper taste of winter experience. Tuesday was about the third day of almost continuous rain, which meant endlessfalling in of trenches, and that pioneer men, who were working on definite re-building work, with proper riveting, etc., and making water proof dug-outs, had to be taken off for clearing up and making good in patches, which is always unsatisfactory...........

The work of clearing away these slides, then filling andbags, and filling about seven feet, is tremendous. We were told we should be relieved about 8 p.m. on Tuesday. Those relieving my Platton began to turn up about 10 p.m. and, as they knew the trenches, we got away about 11 p.m.

The first one and a half miles I took the men a way none of us had been before, as being more direct along farm roads, etc. You have no conception of the mud, but the men were in the best of spirits - intermittent roars of laughter from individuals from stepping into some specially deep hole.

..............We had a first halt in a more or less battered house about two miles back, which, though dripping, provided some shelter. Soon after Henderson brought his Platoon along, and after that we kept together.

"Men having got really sodden, and weight of packs and equipment telling, they soon got pretty quiet. Soon after this, the rain turned into a perfect deluge for about three quarters of an hour as hard as ever it could pelt, with also high wind.

We halted at about every hour, usually choosing the side of a house as protection from wind and rain, and got to our destination, i.e. a farm, with tents in a field by it, at 4 a.m.

The tents were mostly placed in a dip, and had been occupied, together with some dug-outs, by the Regiment that relieved us. They told us it had become quite impossible - dug-outs fallen in, and deep mud, and so indeed it was - absolutely awful mud.

We therefore went into a big barn, divided up by various partitions, and in the middle a big heap of unthreased oats. My Platoon were allotted a bit which apparently just gave standing room, and yet they managed to lie down ! They all had their breakfast ready for them, but we Officers had no such luck !

The report of the King's fall first got to us in the form of the Kaiser being assassinated !"

I do find his descriptions good, another variation in the Memorial book theme and one that is welcome.

Andy

Tents,

Saturday, November 6, 1915.

".............This morning I had a parade of my Platoon, which is done each day to inspect rifles. I also gave them some Swedish exercises. I afterwards explained how to use the 'egg' bomb, which is much the handiest type we have, then arranged for each man to wear a 'tube' helmet (protection v. gas) for twenty minutes, in order to be accustomed to it..........

A football match this afternoon between my Platoon and one of another Coy. I thought of playing, but they had 11 who were keen to do so, so I stood out.

The Transport Officer has had some ferrets sent out. The Adjutant and my Coy. Commander, with a sporting Corporal who has an excellent little dog, are now having a peace rat hunt with them on the edge of a little stream just outside our Coy.'s Mess hut in which I am writing - thus we fight the Germans, Soccer and ferreting !"