Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

So, here we have another memorial book by request. This officer came from a very large family.

Quoted from the Preface of the book "The letters make no claim to being literature, nor have they the artistic or imaginative interest of some other war books. On the other hand, written as they are by one who had a habit of minute observation and who took pains to record what he saw and experienced, the letters present a wonderfully vivid, detailed and accurate picture of trench life and warfare as it was in 1915 and 1916 - times that are now (November 1918) beginning to seem remarkably remote."

"The story of a Christian gentleman, one of many thousands who have given their all in the great cause, will always touch an answering chord in the hearts of those who have their faces set towards the same shining goal."

I will start this from the beginning, to enable you to get to have a feel for Andrew.

post-1871-1162900329.jpg

The Early Years

Andrew Richard Buxton was born at Hanover Terrace, London, on August 19, 1879. He belonged to the large Buxton clan, his father being John Henry Buxton, and his grandfather Thomas Fowell Buxton of Easneye. His Quaker ancestors included Elizabeth Fry (great grandmother) and Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton (great grandfather), who shared with Wilberforce the honour of securing the emancipation of the slaves. His mother (a daughter of the late Captain Richard Wilson Pelly) describes him in her "Children's Book" (written at the time) as a "fair curly haired boy........ a delicious happy baby"; then a little later on, "a most amusing mischievious child, never still for a moment abd always into every piece of mischief he can find. He hardly ever cries and is always bright and happy with a roguish face." His governess Miss Newport, writing since his death says: "When I first saw him he was three years old, and must have altered little in character since his childhood. I always think of him as a sunny, generous, contented child, very keen on all outdoor life, delighted to go shooting with his father or fishing with his grandfather. What made the most lasting impression on my mind was his almost loverlike devotion to his mother as a small boy; so muuch so, that she rather checked it saying, "it is not good for him." He was always a manly little boy, retiring and never assertive, always ready to join in all games and very tender hearted. I remember he used to say he would like to go to Town like 'Uncle Fred' or 'go to Central Africa as a Missionary'." All his childhood and boyhood were spent in the happy country home at Hunsdon Bury, near Hunsdon, in Hertfordshire. Life in that family circle (there were seven children), with its strong and simple piety, its keen love of games, its healthy interest in eveything and everybody, and its abounding family esprit de corps, was a good soil for growing an English gentleman.

One of Andrew's most marked characteristics, his passionate love of nature and all animal life, began to develop very early. At the age of five he writes to his mother: "How many grouse has father shot, and does he shoot hares and rabbits and wild ducks? Aunt Maud and I went fishing this morning and caught 6 fish." Similarly to his father, when he was still only seven: "I saw some wood pidgeons walking on the cedar tree stem. When Dwes (coachman) was going to his bees he saw in a bed of stinging nettles a blackbird's nest with one egg. The hedge-sparrow's nest where Clover caught the bird has been taken. I saw a cuckoo and a woodpecker all the same day. I saw some blackcaps today. I saw a woodpecker about five yards from me on the grass. I am going fishing this afternoon."

As quite a boy he was an excellent shot with a catapult and astonished shooters at the number of rabbits and birds which he thus killed.

From his very early days his special hobby was spiders. His mother writes: "He had a good knowledge of them and used to collect them in various ways from under dead leaves in woods, or form farms and gardens, delighting in finding any new or rare specimens. Once, seeing a letter in a daily paper on Spiders from a man in Trinidad he answered it, asking if some live ones could be sent. His unknown friend kindly tried to do so, but, alas! they arrived dead. He tried again and this time they were alive-to my horror! Large poisonous 'Mygales' and some smaller house spiders. These Andrew kept for years in glass cases in a palm house - one lived as long as eight years, which was a record for England. He gave away many of their skins, and Harrow boys will recognize a specimen in the School Nature Museum - also some are to be seen in the Natural History Museum, London."

He writes from his private school (St. Davids, Reigate) :"There is a female kitchen spider in an old tree here which I have been trying to get all term, and there is another simply tremendous one in the ivy. I can't see what sort it is as it is so awfully quick when I put a fly in its web"; and again : " Thanks awfully for that lecture in the paper by Dr. Dallinger on Spiders, it was very interesting....... I met with a spider a long time ago with eyes like this [here he gives a drawing]: two pretty big eyes, and then two very big and then four very small. I don't think I have ever seen spider's eyes like that before."

This love of wild life was almost a passion with him. Many years later he wrote from the front: "When we first advanced I watched four partridges get up in front and fly straight over. I thought our barrage must kill one by a direct hit, but it didn't." He even competed from the Front Line with one of his sisters in England as to which would see the earliest migratory birds. He writes on different dates : "Saw first blackcap - willow wren - chiffchaff, swallow," etc. Again he writes : "Saved three young mice; a lot of weasels about - whistled one of the weasels up to me."

After three years at Reigate, he went in 1893, to Harrow (Mr. H.O.D. Davidson's House). He was never brilliant at his work; indeed in the early years of his school life he often found considerable difficulty with his lessons. A part cause of this may have been the constant headaches due to concussion of the brain consequent upon a blow from a cricket ball. He always felt the handicap of these headaches; in a letter to a sister, written in August, 1915, he says : "My trouble in life is that I have read and do read so little and am generally such an unintelligent turn. I shall never fogive doctors for not explaining the reason of my continual headaches at school and Cambridge." His first-cousin, J. Gurney Barclay, who was with him at Harrow, records that "Rep" was always a trial to him, even when it was English Poetry. I remember his coming to me for explanations of meaning. One day it was 'Nose, what are 'broad-words' ? - it was some Scotch Ballad he had to learn. He had pored long over the expression, and was much relieved when I suggested that he should read it 'broad-swords.' "

But, characteristically, he was always a "plodder," and stuck to his work with an undiscouraged persistency. His first schoolmaster (Rev. W.H. Churchill) wrote of him in December 1889 : "Little Andrew smiles so happily. He is not a Leonard at work yet, but does his best." And again in 1893 : "Andrew is the most conscientious and plods bravely. These are the qualities that make him a good man."

His devotion to Natural History did not prevent him becoming a keen player of games. Football was his special game (Harrow football, and, later on, "soccer"), though he was fond of cricket as well. "It was a proud moment," his mother writes, "when he won his 'Fez,' and became later Captain of his House Football XI. Still prouder was he when his House won the 'Cock-House' match under his captaincy....."

She adds : "It was at Harrow that he was branded @Curly,@ a nickname which I hoped would not continue from St. David's. But I knew it was to be, when watching a 'Footer' match I heard from all sides the cries, 'Well played, Curly!' 'Go it, Curly!'"

But throughout his school days and afterwards, of all interests and hobbies natural history and sport came easily first with him. His letters are full of these things; here are a few typical extracts : "There is the rookery just outside our window and it is ripping seeing them making their nests..... I think I shall give that spider skin to the Harrow Museum. Are the beauties legs beginning to grow yet?.... I have lost the lizard. I had him at 11 o'clock yesterday and I put him in his usual place on my dressing gown, from which he never goes. I have hunted everywhere but I can't find him......... If you are having me a new suit made, could you please have rabbit pockets put all round the coat."

He sounds like a real boy - spiders and lizards and football and sport. You can see the curl in his hair, even in the military short cut he sports in the photo!

Marina

Quite the most characteristic thing about Andrew, from his earliest years to the day of his death, was his religion. Some attempt will be made, in one of the chapters that follow, to describe and interpret the Christian factor in his life and character, and its far reaching influence on a whole circle of friends. As a preliminary to such an account it may be pointed out here, in this brief record of his boyhood, that Andrew's religion had its roots deep down and far back. It is hardly possible to over estimate the results for an individual of generations of God-fearing ancestors, such as Andrew had ; and from his very earliest years, an exceptionally keen spiritual instinct was always more than ready to assimilate the loving and earnest Christian training which was bestowed upon him. It may not, however, be amiss to tender a word of caution to any readers of this memoir who did not know Andrew personally and have no first hand acquaintance with the kind of religious milieu in which he was brought up. It is, that in reading what he wrote as a boy, or what his mother and others wrote of him, care should be taken to discern the profound sincerity of spiritual experience lying beneath and behind religious phraseology that may have something of an artificial sound. Without this kind of sympathetic probing for reality no man can understand the secret of anothers life.

His mothers account of him records : "When he was nine I wrote in my 'Childrens Book' : 'Andrew and I had several serious talks on Sunday evenings; he is a very sensitive child and asks a great many questions. He cannot keep from crying when we speak of Holy things. At the same age after a very bad thunderstorm late one evening I said to him 'Did it make you nervous?' as he could not sleep. His reply was, 'I was frightenend at the first two claps,' then he spoke in my ear and said, 'Be not afraid, I will be with thee.' After that I wasn't a bit frightened, not even at the great clap.' I ascertained that no one had put this verse into his mind."

The following are also extracts from the same book : "He has a great love for Missionary work, liking to hear and talk about it and tries in every possible way to earn a few pence for his Missionary box. Our Sunday evening talks are full of interest. He asks very deep questions - some on the Second Coming of Christ.

"In 1891, when twelve years old, he expressed at one of these talks a desire to give up his beloved catapult as he felt it might lead him to being too fond of and occupied with it, so putting holier things out of his heart........ Another Sunday I noted words from his prayer 'I thank Thee for giving me something that has helped me........ Let me go forward quickly.' In 1893 he said, 'I must be a missionary, mother.'

"At Harrow," his mother continues, 2he took a definite stand for Christ, and in Spril 1895, he told me that he first really knew the Lord as a personal friend with constant intercourse with Him. When he first went he keenly realized the importance of prayer, but not in such reality as came soon after he started his Public Scholl life. He had much to contend with in the question put to him by other boys and told me he found it difficult to answer them. He, with others, started a little Sunday meeting for the boys, about fifteen attending it, It was not an easy time and he had to endure much presecution for the 'stand' he took. But many were helped by these meetings and after his death letters were received, even from utter strangers, testifying to his influence at this time. His old matron, 'Mary,' wrote to me after his death: "His simple Bible reading - how tried he was and yet stuck to it all that time of trouble and went through it to help purify the House. I may say he came to Harrow with the mind 'I will serve my God whatever happens.'"

And here is the witness of an old Harrovian, who was at Harrow with him :

"Iwrite as a stranger to you, but having lost the best friend I have ever had, I know that the tribute of an unknown friend is sometimes sweet. I was in Daver's House at Harrow with Curly, and there was no boy in the House for whom I had a greater admiration. He was two years mt senior, which means a lot at that age, but I have vivid recollections of his continual kindness to me. I never knew him do or say an unkind thing. I have never known a boy who practised and professed Christianity as he did, and I well remember he suffered for it, but he was always cheerful in himself and ready to give cheer to others. I think the greatest outward expression of his real goodness was his universal kindness to small boys; a very unusual virtue in Harrow boys of my day."

Bishop Welldon, sometime Headmaster of Harrow, wrote of him :

"As I think of him in the old days at Harrow and of his beautiful noble life even to the end I feel proud of my relation to him."

Here are some extracts from his own letters :

"We have a most awfully good chance of being 'Cock' house - we are drawn against Colbeck's House first on Thursday. Have you had any partridge driving at Mundesley? What an awfully good sermon that was mother sent us this morning. I do wish some one would preach a sermon here on the same subject. I believe there are some chaps who it would rouse up; it is wonderful how exactly the Prophecies are coming true......"

"Yesterday the School played Bowen's Eleven and won by 1 run. We had a splendid meeting this morning, 12 came - one entirely new and C..... I am very glad Job [in the scripture Union daily prtions] ends now as it is rather hard..... The true happiness of being on the Lord's side seems to become more evident every week. How can any one do without Him?"

"We were 11 at the meeting again to-day, which is awfully good, 2 or 3 quite new chaps which I am sure is an answer to our prayers. Gilbert Smith was there...... Has the Starling's nest by the conservatory hatched yet?"

Harrow 1895.

"Please give Toby (his brother Arthur) my best wishes for a happy term P.T.O. (Private). Please tell Toby that if he takes God at his word, namely, 'Whatsoever he shall ask, believing in his name ye shall receive,' if he asks that he may not mind going back to school, I expect he will find it will be answered. It certainly has with me these last two or three terms."

"On Thursday we had a most delightful meeting from Mr. A. (David's Tutor). He took Joseph, a type of Christ chiefly; we had 15 chaps here - to-day there were only 7 - I suppose on account of the rain. I was taking it....... I have only had one trial yet, viz. Algebra. Have you seen Archie McLaren's score for Lancashire v Somerset, namely 424, which is a record in First Class County matches, and the innings of the whole side was also a record, viz. 801. He was in the 'Eleven' here for a long time."

To his mother

"I enclose the tickets for you and father for Chapel (for his Confirmation) in case we should not meet before Chapel by any chance. I can't say how I enjoyed my preparation and last night I had a most delightful private talk with 'Daver,' as everyone does.... Do please pray for me in this solemn time and also for 11 boys who are being confirmed in this house."

CHAPTER 2

The Main Factor

It will be evident, from the letters in the previous chapter, that the mainspring of Andrew's life must be sought for in the region of personal religion. Before continuing the story of his life as revealed in his letters, it may be worth while to attempt to give some kind of interpretation of his religious outlook and experience. If 'mystic' means a person who has a peculiarly direct consciousness of God and God's presence, then Andrew was a mystic. For no one who knew him could be unaware that the outstanding feature about his whole life was his extraordinarily keen sense of God. There are not a few genuinely religious people who do not in fact enjoy this vivid sense of the nearness of God. It may be that temperament and heredity, and possibly other unknown factors, count for more than we suppose. Most lives, however many the subsidiary motives and influences, are usually governed by one or two main impulses, operating in the subconscious as well as the coinscious realm. Those who knew Andrew intimately know beyond all shadow of doubt that the dominating factor in his life was a radiant certainty of God and a constant conscious sense of His companionship, with all that meant of guidance, control and inspiration.

Yet there was nothing about him of the religious professional. He was the most gloriously human and practical mystic. To see him bringing down a pheasant (and he shot very straight), or working his retrievers, or playing a fish you would never have guesssed that a minute before he may have been speaking with God as friend with friend. It was not simply that he was a Christian and a sportsman; a good many people have combined these roles. The thing was that with him his sense of God was interwoven with everything he was and did. His faith was quite remarkably simple and natural. Indeed it was largely instinctive; the intellectual element in it was relatively small. Andrew had a clear mind and used it, but he was not chiefly a 'thinker' ; intellectual interests did not for him hold a prominant place.

Prayer was for him less a duty than a necessity; it was something he was quite unable to do without.

"All his life," his mother records, "he had beautiful simple faith in prayer, and his prayers were very characteristic and manly. 'Let me be made of the right stuff and do my duty,' he prayed as he went of to the War; and again: 'Help me to stick it.'

"I have found the two following prayers written out for his own use:

" 'Almighty God and Father, Thou has knowest my need to-day; give me Thy Holy Spirit that I may live it aright in having victory over temptation, and grace not to be ashamed of Thee.'

" 'My Almighty God and Father, I thank Thee that Thou dost love and care for me. Hallowed be this day - may I in no way bring dishonour to Thee.'

"His prayers," his mother adds, "were informal, at all times and in all places, always before returning to school, college, or the Front; in a dug out or on a hillside. One of his last was by his own request with me in the wood, and one of his last thoughts to me on prayer was : 'Speaking to God is just thinking your needs and wants in His presence.' 'I believe,' he once wrote to a friend, 'I believe that God wants us to tell Him eveything that is in our hearts without necessarily making definite request in connection with any matter.' "

Mr. Eric Crossley writes of him as her child's Godfather:

"I have often thought of him kneeling by himself by the very old Saxon font after the rest of us had risen, and though then that his prayers were the real sort of prayer and that he was earnestly thinking of the little mite."

If prayer was as the breath of his spiritual life, the Bible was its daily nourishment. His mother writes:

"His great love for and knowledge of his Bible was very striking from childhood. His pig-skin bound copy was his constant joy, and he often expressed his regret that it was too large to have in France, and he had to be content with a small pocket one. He wrote inside the cover of his large one, with his address, '£10 if returned,' which in itself shows the great value he put upon it. Also he wrote in it 'Death for self-enterprise for God' as his aim in life coupled with 'the establishment of the Kingdom of God in the World.' "

How kindly he sounds. And there it is again, as in the other memoir of the schoolmasters - the depth and strength of their religious feeling. School must have had its drawbacks if he had to pray to be helped not to mind going back!

Marina

A friend writes after his death :

"His name is on the title page of my Bible (and will remain there for future generations long after I am gone) as one who taught us to read it.."

An old groom says :

"He gave me a Bible in 1912 and read it with me - and he used to go next door to old Mrs. M. and read to her, perhaps for an hour, and say, 'Never mind if I am late for dinner.' "

Yet with all this there was about him no touch of religious unreality, nothing of "un-humaness" to coin a word to describe something entirely distinct from the ordinary meaning of "inhumanity," nor anything of a self conscious purpose to "do good to" other people. Of these kinds of elements or characteristics, which may after all be foind in people who deserve to be called "good," there was no trace in Andrew. There was not a shred of "make believe" about his mental or spiritual composition. He was splendidly and gloriously "human"; you could not be in his company five minutes without knowing him for a man through and through. Yet to say that there was no unreality in him and that he was a very human and very 'manly' sort of person, is only a small part of the tale of what he was. If I were to try and choose one word with which to convey some description of his personality I should take the word radiant. He was one of those people - there are not too many of them - who radiate sunshine. There was a light in his face, in his being, which could not be hidden; his body, his physical presence, revealed the soul within. He shone on you, and you felt better for it. I beleieve he was almost entirely unconscious of his personal magnetism. He could never understand why people liked him, if, indeed, he could be persuaded to believe that they did like him. This radiance of his was a natural gift; but it came to be wonderfully interwoven with all his faith and service. He believed in deliberate "witnessing", utterly aware that Jesus Christ was indispensable to himself, he could not but endeavour to share his secret with other men; and there are amny today who owe a big spiritual debt to what they found in and through Andrew. Some once defined a "Saint" as "one who makes it easier for other people to believe in God." Andrew would hate to be called a "Saint"; but there is no doubt at all that there are many men and women, who, because of what he was, have in fact made a new discovery of God.

In 1898 Andrew went up to Trinity College, Cambridge, spending three happy years there till 1901, when he took his degree in Zoology. He always regretted afterwards that he had not qualified to be a doctor, but what knowledge he had he used effectively at the Front; he would also give interesting lectures on Anatomy etc., to his club-men. Earlier interests continued and developed, as the following extracts from his letters indicate:

"What is our Hudson Bury Estate total? It is very good getting 55 pigeons..... How awfully good getting 30 or 34 rabbits ferreting. I expect you got some more yesterday......... The C.I.C.C.U. (1) addresses are very good. I do long to have that 'Abiding in Him and He in me' the secret, it seems, of Christian success."

"On Tuesday, as you know, I went by the 10.45 train with A.G.H. to see dear old Miss Marsh; there were Mr. and Mrs. O'Rorke there and we went up to her sitting room and had a ripping talk till lunch. After lunch we went up again and had a short Bible reading and then more talk till we left at 3. I can't tell you what that hour or two with her was like, it was speaking to and hearing from one absolutely hand-in-hand with her Saviour. When she gets on the thought of seeing Him and praising Him with all above she is wonderful. I do wish we could get her to Hunsdon; you can't explain Miss Marsh!"

"On Saturday Uncle Bar, Arthur, Gurney and I had some good games of 'Fives.' I took our B.R. yesterday; we had a very good one. Wasn't it excellent winning the Soccer match 3 to 1? I have played two or three times this week."

(1) Cambridge Inter Collegiate Christian Union.

"We have had Talbot Rice for the C.I.C.C.U. today, which has been awfully nice...... The Master of Trinity took a combined Bible reading of all the years in the Lodge this afternoon. Next Sunday is the last this term, I am afraid; we shall have just been through 1 Peter; it has been most interesting....... This week I have not had very much in the way of footer, we have a match again on Tuesday. I do long for some wind to be able to play a little, but I do believe that even in these small things God has for some reason for them, and when we understand Him above we shall see how each little thing has fitted in with His great plan. We are having grand weather now, it is lovely hearing birds again. The 'Backs' are full of wood pigeons.... It will be delightful to get home again."

"...........I am very disappointed as I would so have liked to have been with you for your Silver Wedding..... May I give you what Paul was given - 'My Grace is sufficient for thee' - for each detail of life?"

In the summer vacations he was a frequent helper at "Camps" and "C.C.S.M.'s." The universities Camps for Public School Boys" are, or rather were (for they have naturally lapsed during the war), holiday camps for boys officered by men from the Universities; their main features consisting in a rare opportunity for ten days joint outdoor life and sport, and a strong element of masculine and 'common sense' Chrisianity. The main purpose of the Camps movement indeed is to demonstrate that a man and a Christian are not the incompatible terms that they are sometimes thought to be. The "Children's Special Service Mission" pursues a similar aim in somewhat similar fashion; a group of Varsity men settle in for a few weeks at a seaside resort and divide their time and energies between informal Services on the sea-shore and 'running' sports, games, picnics and the like for all and sundry. It is an indisputable fact that quite a number of men and women of what used to be known as the leisured classes trace what they have of personal religion to something that came to them at the 'Camp' or 'C.C.S.M.' of their younger days. Portrush, on the north coast of Ireland, was for many years a favourite place for these seaside Services; and on several occasions Andrew was one of the party.

"I was very sad leaving Portrush; there were a tremendous lot of people on the platform to see us off, which was awfully nice. Thanks very much for your telegram about speaking. I made use of it by speaking at the Children's Service on Wednesday on the rocks, and the open-air on Thursday night. We had a most awfully fine Missionary address on Wednesday night in the Town Hall from Miss Etches. It has been most delightful being at the Mission, it has been an invaluable time for me. I didn't feel as nervous in speaking as I expected..... It will be awfully nice seeing you all again at Dunmore [Argyllshire] ....... I am so enjoying Sir A. Blackwood's life, and what makes it far, far more interesting is to come here and find Miss Marsh, who was used so much for his conversation. She is an awfully dear old person, simply splendid stories she has, and a most lovely face. It preaches one a Sermon to look at her. She is about 80. We had a Prayer Meeting about Camp last night. I expect it will be a great success..... Now going to put up tents.

"You don't know what splendid work there is going on amongst the boys! We are about 110, including Officers. We have the sing song in the evening, and after that we have the meeting - you can just feel God's presence speaking through the Officers and his presence in the midst of us most wonderfully. It is awfully sad in a way having to leave after having made friends for such a short time, and perhaps never to meet again in this world........... We had the sports on Monday; they went off awfully well, the Steeplechase was the best I think, first through a wood of nettles, then under a net, then over the Suspension Bridge, the swam back over the Tweed; of course they had no wind in them after the run, so could hardly get across the river."

"..... Major Pelham-Burn is splendid - he speaks awfully well and is very much liked. On Sunday we all went up to the house and Lord Polwarth spoke to us in the Hall, and then Miss Marsh. I do wish you had the very slightest idea of what a Camp is. If you had been at our 'testimony meeting' you would have found out I am sure. I have never heard anything so wonderful as some of the testimonies; some fellows had made bets that they would not become Christians here and yet the love of God has constrained them. I don't believe there is one chap gone away from Camp to-day unconverted. It is simply wonderful how the Spirit of God has been at work in our midst. Our prayers have been more than answered about the Camp...... I had tremendous sport yesterday, spearing eels with forks joined on to sticks; with Mr. S. We got 15 - one a ripping big beast."

One who was present at this Camp has written (since Andrew's death) :

"........ I can remember now, as if it were yesterday, one day at the first Mertoun Camp. Curly and I were talking and he said, 'isn't this glorious !' and I have never before seen a man's face lierally shine as did his then _ when he was about 15 or 16. That vision of his face lighted up has been with me ever since."

He sounds such a kind and good person. Very unusual for such a young man to be so interested in an elderly lady, and to devote time to the care of the young. Good for him.

Marina

After "Camp" or "C.C.S.M.." was over, the remainder of the holidays would be spent with the family, often in Scotland, with shooting or fishing to his heart's content. He writes :

"........... You have doubtless heard of the great Conger Eeel fishing. You never in yor life saw anything so funny. We three went out to catch bait to set the lines with. We had a board across the stern of the boat which we three sat on, facing aft, each sitting on two rods and each with two or three white flies on, and when we got into a shoal it was great hauling them in. Once I got three on at once on one rod............ Most of the day I spent on Handa Island sketching and hunting for beasts on the rocks, etc. There are swarms of beautiful jelly fish of every size - the water is very clear indeed."

"..... I have just had the grandest morning imaginable - got a 15 stone stag with good head after splendid stalk.

"I have slain my first Salmon........ I am sending him to you. I also poached 6 more sea trout and lost 2 or 3, which is no wonder as we did not take a net and I had to drag some ashore as Rob and the gillie were trying for a salmon lower down."

"Hunsdon, Bury.

"I caught a Geophilus Phosforcus at Hunsdon on Friday night. It is a centipede which gives off phosphorus. It left a long trail of light behind it as it walked."

"Trinity College, Cambridge.

"February 12, 1899.

"I must write you a line. It has been the most sad not having you with us to-day, as you would have enjoyed it immensely....... We were 16 to lunch in Gurney's room, at which Uncle John came, and R. and A.H., and I had arranged to have sent him some things from the grocer's, and while we were in his rooms a basket with a cat came, and a box with a lot of straw and two white rats; two other things consisting of a big box of sardines, and a barrel with one pound of margarine were stupidly not brought in, but left outside. We wanted to fill up his room ! He had most splendid presents, and it was a most lovely one F. and M. left him. H. and I each gave him one of Thornburn's pictures of partridges. In the afternnon we all went down to see the 'Varsity crew go out....... Five of us have just been having dinner with Gurney and been enjoying ourselves with a considerable amount of noise."

Marina,

Your guess is as good as mine, a novel present though.

Andy

Summer 1900

"I am playing for Trinity Second Six at Lawn Tennis, so am having most rattling games every afternoon against other colleges, always playing with new balls, and having tea in the niddle on the ground. I am getting quite good for me. On Friday I played for 1st Six, and had one set of 13-11 games !........ I have got a Labrador, 'Oscar,' though have not seen it yet."

This chapter may conclude with an aextract from a letter written, since his death, by one who was with Andrew both at Harrow ans Trinity:

"I was not in the same house as 'Curly' at Harrow, and the two chief points that remain in my memory of our time at Harrow are that one always felt better for a conversation with him on any matter, however trivial, and that he was one of the very few people who could give what we irreverently named 'a pi-jaw' at Harrow. I know 'Curly' was beloved in his house. At Cambridge we were both at Trinity abd 'Curly' was Captain of, and played 'back' for the 'Trinity Harrovians' while I kept goal, and every match and many times each match did I appreciate his brilliant tackling, untiring perserverence, and skilful captaincy. One match (January 1901, I fancy) was particularly impressed on my mind; we were playing 'Trinity Rest,' a very strong and unbeaten side; it was a beast of a day, some snow lying on top of a sodden ground and it sleeted with an east wind all the game. 'Curly,' used to the clay at Harrow, was in absolutely irresistible form and cheered us all on to such an extent that we won the match by 3 goals to 2, to our great content ! At Cambridge he was extremely popular and his influence there, as everywhere, was a great asset to the College. 'Curly' was of that very rare type of man who was always doing good, whether at work or at sport, who was always at his best."

Chapter III

Work and Sport.

In August, 1901, Andrew began his business life, first learning banking at Barclay's Bank in Lombard Street, and then moving to various branches till he was made Local Director of the Westminster Branch in 1909, from which he enlisted in 1914. Many letters from the Manager and from Clerks and others, bear witness to the help he gave them in different ways.

A Clerk writes from a Base in Egypt :

"I had worked under him at Westminster for some years and knew him from the time he entered Lombard Street. Believe me his character stood out amongst those with whom he worked as a rearless Christian, and in that spirit I am confident he net his death. Everything with him was done from the point of view of duty, and I remember him discussing the very point of 'joining up' and as to whether it was his duty or not."

His first cousin, Major R.L. Barclay, O.B.E. (a Director of Barclay's Bank), contributes the following reminiscences of Andrew's banking life :

"If Andrew had a fault it was that of diffidence. Even that is a good fault, though it often cost him positions and glamour which more self assertive natures would have gained. As a man of business therefore he made his mark rather slowly, and most people only gradually realized his sound judgement. Hence when he entered the Banking world on the staff of Barclay's Bank he did not at once stand out above his contemporaries, but made his way gradually by persistence and hard work. We who watched his career wondered whether he would not make a better country banker than 'City' man. He settled down in the end to the work in London, although no-one felt the physical confinement and indoor work more than he did.........

His general management was excellent and he always gave the impression of a desire to do his utmost for those with whom he came in contact.. This is the first qualification of a banker. The old law that he who would help himself must first help other people holds good, as a permamnet principle, in business as in other affairs in life.