Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

It certainly is. He's almost like two different people - the quiet meek one with the psalms and the deep religious faith, and someone quite other with his revolver. There's no reason why the two should be incompatible, but it is fascinating.

Marina

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

4 p.m. August 6.

"My Dearest Mother,

".........Tonight a great part of this Battalion act as a carrying party of stuff up to where we shall soon be going, which is about seven miles off, so we shall have a fourteen miles toddle. A lot of men and some of the Officers are more or less laid up with what the doctor calls dysentry. He is trying to trace the cause.

Last night I went a bit of a walk with Tatham and Wislon."

12 Noon, Saturday, August 7.

" Just a quick line more to say I had my walk last night, which was quite a bit of hard work. We had to carry up a lot of heavy stuff to the firing line - one thing (a trench mortar) was much too heavy, and I had to hunt round for a handcart. The guide sent to guide me said it was quite impossible to get this thing upthe communication trench of about two miles, also it was deep in water. So I went to see the Brigadier, who told me to take the tings up to another point, which I had never seen before, and the guide did not know. It was along the main road [the Ypres - Menin road], and a heavily shelled bit. After about a mile from where we picked up the stuff the road became practically impassable - one of the main roads of this country, and you could hardly get a handcart up it ! The men, I am afraid, did not shine, two or three times saying they could not get on. The trouble with the road was huge shell holes, trees down, barbed wire broken down, and over it. I was very fortunate in that there was no shelling on it, and I got to about 200 yards of my destination, i.e. the firing line, without any such addition to our difficulties - no rifle fire either directed on the road, only stray bullets round.

It was impossible to get on further, as well as being exceedingly dangerous on this open road, should they have spotted us, when we should have been shelled to bits. This was, too, very possible as German flare lights were going up round us. Where I was, a communication trench ran along to the right, and I met an Officer with a patrol at that point, but he did not know where the Regiment was I was looking for, so I went along the trench, and found the Headquarters of the Regiment I was going to, and also Knight, whom I had sent with supplies for another regiment. I did not know where he would have to get to, and was never more amazed in my life than to hear him call my name.

"It proved to be the second line of the Regiment I was after, and I left my stuff with the Officer who was there, though he knew nothing about it. He was one of those casual people who won't move, and it took him an andless time to come, walking very slowly, and see the dug-outs that I found, and into which I put my stuff. I was very much pressed for time in that my men were in a very dangerous place, and also that I was short of time to get back the seven miles before light, so I did not over-bless the chap.

We went back the same way as we came, through the town, over which I nearly wept. Can you picture marching into a place at 9 p.m., all the outskirts knocked by shells, then gradually up to the Square with the Cathedral remaining just sufficient to show it was a Cathedral, then by it the huge Cloth Hall in a similar state, and all round devastation and waste, and without inhabitant. It was a very dark night, but it could all be only too easily seen.

The only shelling I came in for was when about 3/4 mile from the huts here, and was a regular bit of shelling which is given just at that place twice a day. I was shoving ahead to try and get there just before it came, but just got properly into it - about the second shell fell very near, and the men more or less spontaneously fell into the ditch we were going along. The shells were all falling just in front in rapid succession, tearing the houses, and what remained of them, to bits; so I halted until they had finished. The men were frightened, and I had trouble with them, and this afternoon on parade I intend to speak to them about it; viz. without orders there is on no account to be such a thing as getting into the ditch, and that proper formation must invaribly be kept - they wanted to slope along the walls, etc. ! If they are frightened in this way at casual small shells, I am myself frightened at what they will do in a bombardment, which any day now we may have to encounter, so must try to impress a clear understanding."

To his Mother

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

August 8, 1915.

"..........Captain Reeve, whom I knew at Sheerness, has taken over this Company, I return to Platoon Commander, which in many ways is preferable.

We had a very nice Service this morning in the open. It is great luck to have the Rev. Neville Talbot here as Chaplain, he is such a good fellow and liked by all men. He has just been to tea with us three in our hut and Tatham comes to supper to-night - so we are having much entertaining. The only things we want are a table and chairs, even boxes are not obtainable so we have to sit on the floor and have the food there too !..........

Talbot went up a few days ago to where his brother was killed and at night got out to him through some long grass and took certain things. He deeply refretted since that he had not buried him, so went again last night and managed it all right. I am so awfully glad for his people's sake..... I have been doing revolver practice and am glad to say I can shoot straight, but I should prefer my gun at home and wish I could use it with some big shot.

10.30 p.m.

"I think the attack will begin at 3.15 a.m. tomorrow. We are, you will be glad to hear, not in the front line, but with instructions to be ready at any time. Officers and men have been served with 'iron' rations, bully beef, Oxo tubes, tea, sugar ! We carry water-proof sheets, and I have Burberry and a few other things, in fact I have all that is necessary in everything for a month except food. I have your brand stuff and three Oxo's; no razor, brush or soap or other such luxuries. I treat myself to taking off my coat and boots to-night.

Oh ! with what mixed feelings I turn in with several hundred of our guns prepared to send every German in certain trenches to Eternity."

Rev. Neville Talbot's brothers grave in Sanctuary Wood Cemetery, Gilbert Walter Lyttelton Talbot, 7th Rifle Brigade.

post-1871-1164069567.jpg

" Talbot went up a few days ago to where his brother was killed and at night got out to him through some long grass and took certain things. He deeply refretted since that he had not buried him, so went again last night and managed it all right. I am so awfully glad for his people's sake..... "

Oh my goodness ............ I can't begin to imagine the feelings ......... !! how awful !! :(

............ what a brave man to go back !! did he die too Andy ? ......... sorry to go off topic !!

Hi Annie,

Yes, Neville did survive the war. In Talbot's Memorial book there is a description of his going out to his brothers body.

Talbot House (Toc H) in Poeringhe was named after Gilbert Walter Lyttelton Talbot.

Andy

post-1871-1164110469.jpg

To R.

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

August 8, 1915.

"A man this morning wanted to send home his New Testament, as it was a pity to have it getting spoilt here. He looked on it as a War relic like the Queen Alexandra boxes. I suggested he might like to read it.

We are apparently, more or less, in reserve, for which I am very sorry. I should have liked the front line for the attack, and it is very probable we shall have to follow on, and hold and consolidate, under, no doubt, though I don't say so except to you, heavy fire. But nothing is known, so don't be perturbed !"

Monday.

"We have taken four lines of trenches. We probably go up sometime. A splendid 17-inch shell just landed half a mile away."

3rd R.B.

8 p.m. Monday 9.8.15

My Dearest Mother,

"You will no doubt see in this evening's paper that we have successfully made good the lost ground, though, as you know, the trouble is not so much taking trenches as keeping them, and a counter attack on the part of the Germans will, no doubt, come. Well, we were not up in the attacking line, which really was a great disappointment to all, after so fully expecting it was to be so. We were held in readiness, and have, as yet, not been wanted. It may be that we shall be wanted to hold the line against counter attack, which will be a far bigger thing, in all probablility.

After dark to-night we go up there, but more, I think, as a carrying party. This will probably involve considerable excitement, as they are certain to be shelling heavily.

We have been given these trenches very heavy shelling for several days, but there was no mistaking the commencement of our bombardment at 2.30 this morning, shaking these huts; our guns belching forth light, and shells tearing along to the spots arranged.

No doubt the Germans picked up the time fuse of a shell from one of the big guns by us here, and so got the range, as they have been vigorously shelling them to-day with both shrapnel and heavy 17 inch stuff.

I was just this moment speaking to K. and asking him to come and see one or two of the holes these shells have made, which are about 12 feet deep, and 20 feet wide (so I'm told, but I can hardly believe the depth) when another came apparently plum on the place we were going to, so we consider the place unhealthy, and I continue my letter instead !

The explosion is a great sight, with a huge mass of dense black smoke.

We are here outside, to the south, of a certain town, in the midst of excellent cultivation; potato, crops now being cut into sheaves, roots, er. The inhabitants seem few, and how they manage to get through with them I don't know.

I went a stroll round last evening with Wilson, and saw two or three such dear old dames outside their isolated, and fortunately untouched cottages.

It was a sad sight coming back from the carrying party the other night when they began shelling this town just before dawn, as we were coming in, to see eight or nine small children with old women and men coming out of the place away from it, the children crying at being turned out of bed. There are scarcely any inhabitants left."

Talbot Bothers story is very moving. What a thing to go out twice to his brother. And to bury him all by himself. How awful that must have been.

Strange to think of civilians getting in theri crops in spite of everyhting.

Marina

(Telegram)

"Sans origine,"

August 10, 1915, 7.35 a.m.

"Going Strong. Love. Andrew"

1.15 p.m. August 10.

"I sent you a wire last evening, as I thought you would like to know that I am all right, and am glad I did, as I have missed the post to-day.

As anticipated, we had orders to shift from our huts yesterday, and also to act again as a carrying party. We therefore left at 7.30 last night to go east to a much shelled town, where the men left their packs, and next day rations, in the deserted street, with a man to look after it, and went on east with a guide to a dumoing ground to pick up sandbags and trench foot-boards, and take them to the firing line. It was a most difficult bit of country across which we had to go, chiefly down second rate roads which were made less than second rate by the traffic, and by huge shell holes. Our transport tried to get along the same, getting rations, water, etc., to dumping grounds of various regiments near the firing line; one big waggon nearly came over as it passed by me, one wheel getting into a shell hole ! They use mules a lot, but mostly horses, usually four to a limber, sometimes six. The strange thing is that things and troops seem to work out their purpose all right, as the continued question of both transports and men is as to where certain regiments are, and it is equally one which no one can answer.

We got the stuff and carried on, after which the guide lost his way, and we lost much time wandering about, sometimes getting into trenches, of which there are numerous ones about, but all unoccupied, and sometimes above ground. We fortunately came on a dug out in which was a telephone and an Orderly who could direct us, and we continued in the direction he indicated, sometimes in trenches, and sometimes above. Captain Reeve was in command, and, I thought, took big risk in getting above, as there were lots of shells and bullets about, but we were no doubt getting late. What is an awful nuisance is the number of telephone wires across fields, roads, trenches, anywhere, and at every height, the wires just run out by Sappers, into which each of the men, of course, get. We eventually got to the dumping ground, and left the stuff, a very straggled company, and as things were left the men were filed into a trench till all came up. This bit up here, and while waiting up here, was the hottest time I have been in; continuous shelling all the time, and rifle fire, though not at us. It was really amazing that we did not lose a man, and indeed a mercy that they did not see us with their lights all the time up. If they had, we should sometimes have had a good chance of being wiped out with shrapnel and machine gun fire.

"We left this place above ground at best pace possible. I brought up the rear, and got some distance back, when we had our first casualties, two men being shot by the same bullet; one through the thigh, and the other higher up. On the track we had passed a stretcher on wheels about 100 yards, which was most fortunate, as our stretcher bearers, as well as a number of the other men, had got lost. A little further on was a motor ambulance, so we were in luck's way.

These ambulances are splendid, getting down these tracks ready for work. Of course last night, with casualties from the attack, and still more from shell fire after taking the trenches during the day yesterday, they were in great numbers fetching the wounded, a thing which can only be done at night.

R. came on one poor fellow in a trench who had been wounded about 24 hours with three wounds which had been bound up by some one who then had to leave him. We reported it, and hope he got down all right.

A real complication of these little evening excursions is that a few men always knock up, either faint, or sore feet, or a twisted ankle. One man last night had his last, and we had to more or less carry him for two miles, till we crossed a road, where fortunately were three or four motor ambulances standing. I arranged for him to be taken back to the town. We got back to this much shelled town about 3.30 a.m. where we are billeted - the men in a big sort of tramway stable which provides a fair roof, and the Officers in houses opposite, we three of this Company together. The walls and roofs of the houses are all right, otherwise they are battered, and with everything stolen from them. Somewhat strange to walk into people's houses without leave and without payment ! They have a few relics of peaceful life - a knocked to bits perambulator, aviary, greenhouse, etc.

Out in the garden behind are long lines of hothouses, with grapes carefully trained, but the houses and glass all to bits. The hot water pipings torn up, and frames some down and some still up. The bunches of grapes unripened hanging down in the usual fashion.

They gave us a lot of shells quite near this morn. I fear our casualties during yesterday, after the attack, were heavy, but this is the usual course nowadays. An attack on one or two lines of trenches is made almost a certainty by shell fire, and the Germans are too demoralized to do much harm, but the losses come when they begin shelling us in what we have taken.

This letter will now go back by the ration cart, I hope."

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

Tuesday 10-8-15.

My Dearest Mother,

"I meant to tell you that I had a splendid and most safe attack yesterday morning in the shape of a rat hunt for an hour, down some hedges by our huts. A Corporal has a splendid little fox terrier taken from some Bosche trenches, who works a hedge splendidly; we got two digging one out, and the toher after a top-hole half-hour's run up and down a thick hedge. This was thoroughly refreshing, and I wish you had been there, though, if only just arrived, you would have been more interested in the music of the guns, and in seeing two German (tethered) look-out balloons.

We are in for another carrying job to-night, at which no one rejoices. My Coy. have got to take 20,000 snadbags to the front line. The night is not likely to be a quiet one, but the mercy is that we ought to easily find the way, as it is the same place as last night, though we go a different way.

Later.

"We did the carrying work last night all right, and much quicker than before, as we knew the way. Except for four or five men who fell out with various troubles, and one man who either got hit with a shell or else somehow damaged himself, we had no casualties, though a very warm time again. I am sorry to say that Tatham's Coy., who followed on behind us, had casualties of one killed and five wounded; a shell landed among them as they were dumping their stuff. I had a near shave with a heavy bit of shell flying past close by my head as I was going along a trench, but a miss is as good as a mile ! They were also giving us some rather nasty stuff as we were going out along a main road running east from a much sheeled place (where we are now billeted) to where fighting has been. The road is straight, and these shells were coming straight down it. You can hear them coming for a short space of time, and bliss if they fall ahead or behind. 'D' Coy.'s work last night was to take up stretchers along this road and bring back wounded. They had two casualties in doing so, and were apparently lucky to get off with that, as they came in for very heavy fire. Yesterday two stretcher bearers brought a man down this road in daylight, and were shelled the whole way with about 150 shells and never touched - a truly remarkable thing."

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

Thursday, August 12, 1915.

My Dearest Mother,

"...........In the attack the other day it was, I fear, found out from prisoners that they were going to make a further attack in a few days, and in view of this had collected a great number of bombs, which our men found most useful in applying versus them, when they got to the trenches. In every Coy. a large number of men are definetely trained as bombers. They carry these bombs in bands round their shoulders, carrying about ten, and when they get to the trenches work along them, throwing them in front round different turns. With machine gunners, bombers, and other men with special work, the ordinary rifleman will soon become rare ! The bombers do not carry rifles, but are getting instead weighted clubs, so that we are gradually returning to primitive warfare.

One of the shells which were dropping round the Cathedral yesterday killed, I fear, about 20 men. I don't quite know why, but when I walk through here and into the Square with the Cathedral battered to bits, and every house in ruins, I always think of dear old Bishop Handley Moule and picture how deeply he would have been moved by it."

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

Saturday, August 14, 1915.

My Dearest Mother,

"Well here I am in the trenches again (at Hooge), having come up last night. Some one from each Platoon, or anyhow Coy., when relieving should be in the trenches to get all information before the Coy. arrives, but all that was done was our C.O. came up yesterday and then back to where we were billeted. He had a conclave of all Officers and told us what information he had got and arrangements for relieving made. He said we appeared to be in for an interesting time as we did not know where the Germans were and they did not know where we were, and the trenches were bad. We got here all right and 'took over.' The Platoon O fficer of the Platoon 1 relieved was much surprised at my full enquiries respectingf the position, the work they had in mind to do, and other, in my opinion, obvious questions. My Platoon is across a bit of wood which joins up to the east with quite a big wood by a narrow neck just 1/4 mile S.W. of the village where we are. The trenches cannot be called trenches, just a sort of path through the wood with a few rough sandbag dug-outs and a certain amount of digging in the much torn up ground. An oak wood, most trees cut in half with shells and all indented and torn about. The experience of our Regiment is to usually find on relieving that the Regiment they relieve have been content to take things as they find them and let them remain thus instead of putting them in order. Here we found everything in more or less of a mess, and above all no decent fire positions. Now after about 24 hours we have cleared the place up, got fire positions, though they want completing and extending and the whole trench wants organizing.

"We have for one thing, started splinter proof for the men when under heavy shell fire. This afternoon for about an hour they shelled us heavily from every direction, but fortunately thought apparently that we were about fifty yards further forward than we were, and we only had one man slightly hit.

The waste of ammunition is absolutely monstrous, the men having no consideration. When on a digging party two nights ago we came on to, in the bottom of the trench, three unopened boxes of 1000 rounds in each. In the 100 yards or so in which my Platoon is the ground was littered with bandoliers full of 50 each and clips with five each, besides loose ones - also stuck into parapets, etc. We have cleared up all that are visible, though as you dig you unearth them all the time. The other Regiment had collected a certain number and with these we are sending back to-night, at a rough guess, 20,000 rounds and many rusted up rifles. I have not much time or particularly much news, except that I am sharing a dug-out with K. We have only what we could bring on us last night. We shall get rations for the day and water each night about 10 o'clock by transport, who dump it about half a mile to the rear and we fetch by Platoons. They also bring up sandbags and other necessary materials.

Since last night we have therefore each had only what we could bring of water in our water-bottles, which of course allows of no washing. Whether additional will be possible at all I cannot say. I cannot say how long we shall be here, but there is every possibility of a week without a wash or taking off clothes. We have to be ready all the time and times for sleep are very intermittent. I turned in at 4.30 a.m. and had to be up at 6. Usually you work all night - stand to at about 3, after which the men have breakfast, then start working at 6 a.m., working in relays of two hours. When I was O.C. Coy. I did not start work till 2 p.m., but night work is not going to be so much done here. Rifle-sniping by night, though, is very heavy..........

This is a pretty rotten place. It is no joy to be in a salient and at the head of it, as you are shot at from all sides. Some particularly nasty ones have just been coming from behind the way our trench faces. Dearest love, this life is a real joy as I am so fit and enjoy organizing the trenches."

AUGUST - OCTOBER 1915.

3rd R.B., Trenches, B.E.F.,

11 a.m. Sunday, August 15, 1915.

"My Dearest Mother,

"I must begin by saying how magnificently fit I feel, specially this morning. I feel I have indeed got to, from one pointo of view, the type of life which for so many years I have longed for, but never thought would be possible - away in dug-outs and clear of black coats and white collars. If you want to see trench life I should liek you here for 24 hours.. We came here to find the baldest suggestion of tenches or line, a quite different thing altogether from where we were before. The men have just knocked off for two hours to get their dinners, which they cook for themselves in their canteens with splinter wood which has to be cut up very fine or they make a smoke which cannot be allowed. I should very much have liked to work in a short Service (though I do not believe a single man knows what day of the week it is), but the Captain does not think well of the idea. The Coy. could not all get together as they must keep at their bit of trench, and also many men must not get together for fear of shell fire, but voluntary ones by platoons would be possible, and I shall probably have one to-night.......We had some very heavy shellingyesterday afternoon and one shell which fell just in front of the line where I had an advance sentry I reared would have nothing left of him. I went up to see and found him unhurt, but the poor chap was dazed with terror.

In the evening about 9 we were told to wait and not send our carrying parties back as our guns were to open fire and men were to get shelter in dug-outs - not much shelter completed here yet ! We opened fire, but as far as I could judge the Germans did so much more - anyhow they gave us a nasty time with every kind of shells and terrific rifle sniping through the wood. I went round during this noisy time to see the sentries were all right - double sentries at night - i.e. two sentries on at a post together, and then get into this dug-out where we were a happy little party of four Officers. Everything quaking with the shell bursts, but in time it eased down.

How I would rejoice if it were possible for every battalion to have in command one of such Officers of which we have several. Our Major is really a splendid man. When I first had to take the Coy. into the trenches it was comforting to have him say to the Officers - 'You want no Military knowledge !' his organization is excellent. By day I do not think the Germans are nearer than 800 yards, though they may draw up to a certain part at night, a little nearer. The sniping at night is nasty - bullets, unaimed, whizzing through this wood and smashing into trees and, unfortunately, men too ! Last night we had four men wounded - one within six yards of me - one also had a bullet through his water bottle hanging by his side. A sentry had the barrel of his rifle spoilt by a piece of shell which went bang against it. These bits of shell are too hot to hold when they arrive.