Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

Sunday, July 25.

"Now going to have some lunch of tinned duck and green peas, by which you will know how we live. Personally I should much prefer Army rations as reasonable and in keeping with a campaign life, and all this overdoing of fancy supplies is a great mistake. This morning, soon after 9.30 I took A Coy. to do an attck on some trenches by the Captain's instructions, after which, at 11, I began to pay out the Coy. and continued it at 2 o'clock. I have 4000 francs for this purpose. At 11. 40 I went to a nice Communion service in a hut, during which a heavy thunderstorm, and also an accompaniment of distant gun-fire; aeroplanes, both our own and German, came out from tea-time to dark.........I am now going to give my men some First Aid hints............The First Aid has been quite successful, and I talked to them about Spiritual matters too........

Well, I have written a lot, but I am sure you do not realize the extraordinary interest and resposibility that I have in practically at once finding myself in command of A Coy., owing to S. going for leave for five days. There are many duties that come along, besides leading and instructing them in practice much as we had this morning. Endless matters of discharge, leave, etc., also this afternoon trying to gain information of men who have been reported missing, by instruction of the War Office in response to requests by their relatives. But at the moment, and far above this, is the fact of starting treench life in command of the company. Of course there is a certain routine laid down, and I more or less know the procedure, but I have never done it, and it is very big, especially as we are so frightfully short of Officers, in that I have only one young Subaltern, Knight. I have just been having supper, and discussed with him how we shall divide the Company. I decide to have Nos. 3 and 4 Platoons in the firing line the first night, and Nos. 1 and 2 in the third and fourth line of support trenches. If my Company is in the trenches we expect to be in, the German trenches are a long way, about 600 yards off. I shall then probably send out the listening posts to lie out all night during dark somewhere between us and the enemy. Then probably I shall have to send Orderlies for water, ammunition etc. All men work all night at repairing trenches, putting up wire etc. The Coy. will come in after dark on Tuesday, but as Coy. Commander I shall probably try and get in Tuesday morning in order to take over from the Regiment we are releiving.

Well, you will say this is a strange Sunday; the morning spent by practice followed by a Communion service; this evening a Service in the open, a lovel bright, warm evening, during which all the time the guns were banging eastwards, shooting at aeroplanes, and it was a novelty to sing hymns and listen to a sermon, and at the same time watch shrapnel fire at the aeroplanes - also a football match 100 yards off.

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

26-7-15

"My Dearest R.,

I feel greatly excited going up to the trenches to-morrow. A Coy., if it is in the same place as before, are in quite a fairly decent bit of line which does not receive such a dose of shelling as other parts. I don't a bit want to be killed or wounded, anyhow till I have had a considerable amount of this novel experience of fighting !

The censoring of letters is a nuisance; they are of an extraordinarily uniform type, though some ar amusing, escpecially one man's 'furious' love letters - he was up on a charge before me to-day at Coy. orders ! as he was suffering so badly I let him off ! Yesterday evening I gave the men a First-Aid lecture, and took the opportunity of a sort of young sermon for their souls too !

I feel a real brute to be going to the Front, and you and all not getting a chance even to be there for a few minutes, as, though I try to mention facts in my letters which I hope will somewhat make the life of things clear, nothing but to be seeing it van be really satisfactory.

The horrors are very great, and I have no wish to kill mankind, but to see the Front is of real interest."

To his Mother.

Tuesday, 27-7-1915.

"Your letter of the 21st came last night. How applicable, your staying by the stuff and my going up to battle. I am glad to think that something of a soldier's spirit is rising in me. I only beg that should I by chance get shot, which though I do not somehow the least expect, neither you nor any one else will mind, but just carry on as though I was with you, as indeed I think I should be, otherwise we shall all be unhappy ! Death is looked on as such a small thing out here, but I know it is harder for one's own to look on it thus and to 'carry on' with one shifted from sight. This is, I think, very much ahead of time, as I expect to go to a pretty quiet trench and do not know that anything special is likely to occur."

3rd Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.,

28-7-15.

"My Dear Father,

"I must get you a line to-night by the post, as the last twenty-four hours have been in reality a novel experience.

My servant has just asked me (3.30 p.m.) what Time I will have lunch. I expected instead the questions to refer to tea, but in trench life meal-times are no more, and you have a meal when hungry and call it what you will.

I am not yet hardened to trench warfare, and find it easier to write now in the Officer's Mess - a place about seven feet wide, ten feet long, and five feet high, with sand-bag sides and corrugated roof with one layer of snad-bags on it - than when we or others are being shelled. They have given my Coy. two or three bouts to-day - now two shells almost simultaneously on about the 2nd line, by which a little stuff was thrown in here; also other shells on each side. The shooting is extraordinarily good, and they know our trenches to a nicety except the back one, which I do not think they have yet found. This morning I watched them start on the Regiment on my right - first shell about fifty yards short, then plum into the trench throwing up one huge mass of earth (though the shells are small ones comparitively and called 'Little Willies'), then they would drop shell after shell into that line of trench, varying it with one on us, or on some support trench.

I wlaked round the trenches, seeing the Platoons when they were making it pretty hot for my Coy. You hear the shell coming, and have just time to duck your head, and possibly put it into a dug-out. It is really amazing how few casualties occur when you have these things heaving up the place. I hardly dare to think what heavy shells or a heavy bombardment can be like.

continued

Yesterday and last night, with such a new experience, though not different from what others had stated, will truly be a day to be remembered, increased greatly by being in command of the Company.

The Coy. Commanders and C.O. left the huts where the Battalion had been resting for eight days for this place, all riding, I on Captain Swan's horse, so that I have been exposed to other dangers than warfare ! It was very awkward riding with equipment on, and when the horse's ration bag, which was tied on the saddle, got twisted round a hind leg, I thought we should part company. We rode for about three and a half miles, through a town (Ypres) about four miles east of our railhead, and laft the horses with the grooms (who had gone on) about one and a half miles beyond the town where the road crosses the railway.

That road and that town were a wonderful sight, the latter practically knocked to bits, and the former a wonderful show of heavy transport and troops. Gunfire at aerolpanes, and rifle and shell fire (heavy) more or less continuous along the whle front.

I never had a hotter walk, and ending up about 20 minutes quick walking up a communication trench with a haversack on each side, by which I bacame too wide to walk down it without holding one forward ! I was properly hot when I got to our Brigade Headquarters in a low dug-out and sandbag place. We had a lengthy demonstration of trenches on maps, after which I wlaked round some of them to my own.

The men of the Bttalion were due to arrive behind about 9.45 p.m. and I fixed up guides to go back to them from the Buffs (whom we were relieving), and also my Cot.-Sergeant-Major who had come up with me. Fortunately the Battalion had been here before so know the lie of things, though, after making arrangements in the huts, it confused mattersa to be told that my Coy. had to hold a new and forward trench, about which I went to Headquarters and glad to know that it was wrong. The men got in and fixed up all right about 11.30 or 12.

Gas hood and gasmask - just as well I'll never be in the trenches - I can see me getting confused about which one lasts quarter of an hour...

Liked his letter of the 27th to his mother - comforting her in advance, just in case. Very touchng in its quiet way.

Marina

continued

"You can have no idea of the difficulty of keeping direction and getting a proper idea of the lie of the land and of trenches in the maze that masses of trenches, dug-outs, communication trenches, appear when you first get into them.

I felt like a return to the City, with names of communication trenches - Threadneedle, Moorgate, Aldersgate, Cornhill, Liverpool Street, etc. What added to the interest of taking over was being told by Headquarters that it was very possible the Germans might make an attack in the erly morning. This, however, did not come off.

After dark the rifle and machine gun fire (with, of course, bursts of shell-fire) is continuous, and it is absolutely extraordinary that men walking on top of round trenches do not get more hit by unaimed bullets. Work has to be done all night all round on top. The men seem not the least to mind bullets whizzing all round them, and I hope I may get to the same, but I certainly did not enjoy the experience this my first night. The shell fire is, at present, preferable to me.

The rifle fire at night is just like being on a rifle range when continuous very heavy fire by a great number is going on.

I have got a very nice and safe dug-out to which I turned in about 4 a.m. with my sleeping bag, which has answered perfectly with the straps round it, and in which I could put a few things. The handcart on which this and the Company things came up broke down, but the men got everything here all right, including the provisions. Mother's chicken, bacon, bread and chocolate, also chocolate and hard biscuits, gave me a much needed and delicious meal. During the night from time to time the 'wind' was raised when the rifle fire on all sides was absolutely terrific, and on which occasions of course I had all the men stand to arms, as there was no knowing if an attack was coming. I had nothing to disturb me till about 11 a.m. and I slept well in the jaeger coat and sleeping-bag with Burberry on top, except for some pretty heavy shell-fire; thereupon I got up, and I am sorry to say two of my men (machine gunners) got hit by shrapnel just near my dug-out. I took one into the Officer's Mess (almost oposite the dug-out) and sent for the stretcher bearers, and we bandaged him up. He had three wounds in his back. He looked bad, but I do not know how deep they were. I believe he walked back all right to the Dressing Station. The other man got it in the shoulder and was not so bad. My trenches are much the best as such and not so forward as some others, much safer, but there is a very great deal to do to them, especially to the support trenches. I hope for sand-bags to-night to get started on the work.

We have just been giving them some proper heavy shells on our left !

How I wish you could see this in all its awfulness for a short time."

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

29-7-15.

In trenches East of Ypres.

"My Dearest Mother,

"I was ahamed to send you such a bare postcard this even, when I had intended to write a letter, but fear I left it till too late, when necessary things to see made it impossible to write in order to get it off at 9 p.m., i.e. after dark, when the ration party go out, and take letters with them.

At 8 p.m. every night I have my four Platoon Sergeants and Knight here to receive 'detail,' i.e. orders for the night's work, which they take down in note-books.

The Germans are a long way off here, their forward trench being nearly 600 yards off, and in the ordinary way we do no shooting or sniping, but my C.O., whom I went to see this morning about certain matters, told me to do some fring after dark, i.e. when they are above ground digging, and with carrying parties out I told the C.O. of the Leinsters (who are on my right) the times when I would fire, which were going to be at 9.15 and 9.30 and again after their and our patrols had come in before dawn. At 9.15 I ordered one platoon to fire five rounds 'rapid' with rifles sighted to 1200 yards and of course the point to fire on, and also a machine gun to fire with them. The machine gun jammed straight away, so we got off about 200 rounds less than I expected in the few seconds which this takes. The Leinsters, who seem mosy hopelessly casual, sent back word after this that they had a patrol out, so I stopped further firing. Still I hope we stirred the Germans up a bit; anyhow we produced a lot of flare balls from them, which were pretty ! The result of any special firing or action on our part almost inevitably produces retaliation by shelling on the part from which it came. I expected it at once, but perhaps we did not make it heavy enough, or they may wait a bit.

. Still I hope we stirred the Germans up a bit; anyhow we produced a lot of flare balls from them, which were pretty !

Lovely example of British sangfroid!

Marina

continued

"The line is of course very far from straight, with advance trenches, and others of odd shapes. 'A' Coy.'s line (and, of course, the whole more or less) is across the open, and not following the hedges or ditches. I suppose we are down about three feet, and about three feet above ground, the whole thing built up with thousands of sandbags. There is no hiding the lines from the Germans, as they are a vast dug-out place, and I appreciate a rabbit's life better than I did.

The German line in front is just the same, and I was looking at it this afternoon with Len's ripping good glasses with a view to to-night's shooting. They soon see, and try to snipe, but are too far off to do any good.

The N.C.O. of the Patrol I sent out this evening till 2 a.m. is a splendid fellow of a most fearless type. At Armentieres he went out one night into a German trench and brought back what he could find in an Officer's dug-out.

We have a pump and well just in front of my back line, from which we get out water supply. This afternoon I moved my back platoon into the trenches.

Last night we had off the roof of the Officer Mess, and lowered it four sandbags in height in order to be able to put more stuff on top. Unfortunately to-day one of our beams, on which is corrugated iron, broke with the weight and the roof nearly gave way.

We have some prime looters, and I have sent some out to-night to find another beam in one of the knocked down farms. Each platoon has also men out to get bricks etc., as protection to the tops of dug-outs, etc. We have of course also every night to send out parties to bring up barbed wire, sandbags, etc. Also ration parties from each platoon.

continued.

"Strangely enough, since writing this, I have had telephone message from Headquarters to send 20 men for sandbags and foot-gratings (thos for the bottom of the trenches for dryness sake). There is hardly any wet in the trenches, only a few sticky places, but wooden footboards are necessary.

I am now well settled down, and getting the hang of things, and enjoying it immensely in all its strangeness, chiefly I think because I am so awfully fit. To go to bed at 4 a.m. and get up at 11 suits me well.

We are having gorgeous weather, and lovely moonlight nights.

The firing on our left all last night was absolutely terrific, and they must have let of thousands of rounds. I suppose each side was trying to catch working parties, but, as likely as not, not the slightest good was done.

The N.C.O. of my patrol has just come in, 2.15 a.m., and reported to me. They went out about 500 yards to within 100 yards of the advance German trench. He brought back two of our rifles he found in a ditch, both of course rusted up; magazines full and with an empty round in the breech. He found the bodies of two Dublin Fusiliers, which he buried, and of one Canadian. The only identification was the man's pay-book on one of the Dublins. This is of course about the place of the German first gas attack when the Canadians did so well. There is a bunch of broken down limbers between us and the Germans.

The shell fire is interesting. What are called Whizz-bangs are small shrapnel shells, which do not give time to duck, giving two almost simultaneous noises which their name describes. The only other two so far which I have experienced are shrapnel and 'Little Willies,' both of which you hear coming, anyhow if fired from a decent distance (owing no doubt to the high trajectory). You cannot see the shells, but when firing over us at back trenches or farm-houses, etc., you can know the course it goes by the sound. You soon get to know whether a shell is going well over, or going to fall pretty near, but only when it is quite near, giving just time to duck down if necessary ! The strange thing about bullets going over is that you seem to hear them before they get to you, which is of course not the case, and is due, I suppose, to the noise following on slower behind.

Our Battalion are having a 'quiet' time compared to what is often experienced, and so far we have had one other man hit beyond the two I mentioned in my last letter. The Leinsters, who join me on my right, yesterday had eight men hit with one shrapnel shell.

I think very possibly we shall only be twelve days here, and then six out. I feel so well established and happy that I shall feel sorry to shift, but I haven't experienced a heavy bombardment yet, when perhaps I should think differently."

To his Sister.

3rd R.B., B.E.F.

30-7-15.

"My Dearest Ros,

"I have since Tuesday more nearly approximated a rabbit in the Little Park hole at Hunsdon Bury than ever before !

We begin work about two in the afternoon; as far as we can making good the sides of trenches, etc., and at dark, when the Bosches cannot see us, we get above ground and make good the parapets, put out wire, etc. I cannot tell you why we do not have casualties from the bullets going past, nor what the men are made of at not flinching at the 'carck' which follows them !

Lat night a long way to our right we apparently lost a bit of ground, owing, I should judge, to the Germans exploding a mine. About 3.30 a.m. I saw a big cloud of black smoke go up, which looked like a mine. In consequence, as I suppose, a counter attack, with the most terrific bombardment, went on for some hours. Huge eruptions of earth thrown up by high explosive shells and tongues of fire as shrapnel burst.

I went a trudge round to the trenches on my left, round a farm, battered, of course, to ruins, which the trenches encircle, all the way in communication trenches, in order to see exactly how our line lay, with a view to being safe in any shooting I might do to my left half. Up there they are very near the German lines which look like (because you do not see their depth) five foot high banks of newly turned earth stretching endlessly and in various rows with square holes at intervals for machine gun emplacements. Of course their big guns are a long way behind, one to three miles, and they had one dropping shells on the part where I was walking about. You hope you are walking away, and not towards, where the next will drop ! I have a tremendous lot of work on hand, and to walk round and see what is going on is a big job, but most interesting - endless building up and strenthening with tens of thousands of sandbags."

Later.

"My Dear Ros,

"I would sacrifice I know not what to have had you all, and every single person in England, with me for the past 5 or 6 hours (in particular). It is absolutely beyond me to describe the marvellous sight that it has been. At dusk rifle fire on all sides always begins, and we got to-night also some very nasty machine gun fire along to top of our line, intended to catch any one unduly walking about. I retaliated with some from one of our machine guns, and also some rapid rifle fire, and the letting of of a few rifles which I had sighted on to different points, and fixed while it was light..........After this, in the most gorgeous moonlight night the 'sight' began on each side of us about one or two miles away. The Germans were evidently attacking at both places, and the splendour, as I saw it walking about (seeing the different things on hand, one of which was repairing the roof of the Mess in which I assisted for about an hour) on the top of our trenches, was something beyond what any one who has not seen war can imagine. There were many phases, but all along the gun fire has been vibrating into us, and the fact that we are an unattacked part gave me a wonderful though awful sight, as many men have doubtless been killed. The sound has been like a thunderstorm, and you get the 'rolling' sounds just the same. Shells going over and across sound like an express train, i.e. of rushing nature, or only just heard, according to the distance they are off. I timed how long you could hear this afternoon, as they were firing at something way back over us, and often the time was about twelve seconds before you had the explosion, which is the report of the gun just previous. I expect what happened on our right was that we did a successful counter attack (as per the beginning of my letter) and the Germans were counter attacking us.

continued.

"They were firing up both red and white ball flares, always several up together. Their guns, some way behind, were sending heavy shells past us intended for our guns behind us, to which our guns were replying also with big stuff, probably 12 inch. You would not believe the noise a big gun makes when firing straight over you, with a wind in the same direction. Our guns firing from a long way back over our heads sometimes just as though a shell had exploded close by.

At about 2.15 I had the Coy. stand to arms as the firing was so terrific it seemed possible for anything to develop. I was a bit nervous about my patrol, as they had not come in at 2 o'clock as ordered, but they came in soon after, and I then ordered five rounds rapid at the German trenches. I do not believe in getting the wind up unnecarily, but a small burst like that would not have that effect, and it is good for the men to have a loose off. We had though just before had some very nasty shells dropped on a farm house about 100 yards to the right of my back line, which made me nervous, as I had got a good many men foraging there for material - bricks, doors, beams, etc. - for making dug outs. K. came to tell me that an N.C.O. and one man had really extraordinary shaves, just being clear of three or four shells as they moved about, and one falling a dumper (not exploding) at their feet. They appear to have stuck to their job, and to have duly unearthed and brought back a door !

I do not suppose you can least picture our trenches as they are; the front line is a kind of network of passages built up with sandbags, on an average about six feet high, and into the sides of which are various dug-outs. Walking about on top it looks very deep and wonderful preparations for the foundations of a house. Very possibly and reasonably you may picture me in a kind of ditch, which of course might be the case if it were not such stationary warfare as it is here. Anyhow, walking about on this and all round generally - including inspection of barbed wire defences in front - with these fights on each side, with a lovely moon by which the few trees in the hedges stood up well, also the high upheavals of smoke and earth from the high explosives, and all the time in the midst of an extraordinary roar of guns, Maxims and rifles, and the 'Very' lights thrown up with their trails of light behind them, which looked like fireworks, - the experience is very great."

I timed how long you could hear this afternoon, as they were firing at something way back over us, and often the time was about twelve seconds before you had the explosion, which is the report of the gun just previous.

That's a long long gap. I'm thinking of the most terrifying thunderstorms Ive ever been in - never heard a gap as long as that, I'm sure.

More sangfroid:

K. came to tell me that an N.C.O. and one man had really extraordinary shaves, just being clear of three or four shells as they moved about, and one falling a dumper (not exploding) at their feet. They appear to have stuck to their job, and to have duly unearthed and brought back a door !

Marina

To his Mother.

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

July 31, 1915.

"We had a quieter night (i.e. the night of July 31 - Aug. 1) last night, though heavy firing again on our right. Captain S. got back about 11 p.m. from leave. He did not look well, and said he had come from two days in bed.

I shall now therefore be more with my Platoon, and shall enjoy to have now a bit of 'back to the land' with work on parapets, deepening trenches, etc. Till now I have only been able to spare time for a little, as I have had so much supervision to do. The distances to be walked down the trenches make a hole in time.

I have the men begin work at 2 p.m. each day in two hour shifts, being Sunday, got my Platoon to sit in a bit of trench (rather a squash, but dug-outs on each side made some room) and read them some of the last Chapter of Revelation and had prayer. I made it voluntary, but they came well, and it was nice, as a Sunday service. We had no shelling on that way near at the time, but rifle bullets whizzing over us.

One of my men is just drawing out for me a board about the size of this paper 'EASNEYE HOUSE,' which is to be stuck on my dug-out. You see we make ourselves quite at home, though in the matter of peacefulness it is severely different ! How I can picture you now (6 p.m.) and what I would give for a walk round, above ground, in the wood with you !

In the fighting which I described to R. on our right, I fear we in lost in casualties very heavily. The 8th R.B. 600 men and 19 Officers and the 7th RB 270 men and 12 Officers. This may, however be inaccurate. Anyhow I fear we have lost a good deal of ground, and failed to take it again."

This refers to the first use by the German's of flamethrowers against British forces at Hooge (8th R.B.). Interesting to read Andrew's account of this, as, the 3rd at this time were around St. Jean/La Brique.

Andy

T a Sister.

3rd R.B., B.E.F.

10 p.m., 2-8-15

"My Dearest Ros,

"We are leaving these trenches in 24 hours time to go back, probably, to billets for a night or so, after which we shall take part in an attack. You know, doubtless, what an attack means - hundreds of guns tearing up every inch of the enemy's lines for about half an hour, after which they stop, and at an exact certain time we advance, and have to lie, after taking the trench, for perhaps several hours without cover, as everything is torn to bits, while the guns bombard us preparatory to their counter attack; and so may it continue.

So far I have only experienced small shells falling round, and nothing of the awfulness of the big ones, which tear vast holes which are to be seen round here !

I am therefore at the moment living in a very big day, and a real privilege to look forward to being one who took part in the battle of ............, but in doing so I have got to go through what can only be described as hell, I fear. Fancy me in command of the Coy., and only one young Subaltern with me, but, as likely as not, before long a junior Corporal may be in command of the Battalion, or of himself, if there is no one else ! I must not say what troops are to take part in this, but it is big.

There is quite an idea of Scotland here from time to time - the effort to snipe Germans is not unlike rifling rabbits in the evening at Tarvie, and in many other ways I am often reminded.

I get so angry at the appalling waste here, chiefly of ammunition. There must be millions of rounds unnecesarily wasted. It is lying about everywhere where English soldiers have been. In the trenches you dig up and find no end of it. A Sergeant told me just now that in altering one paprapet further south, they found a basket with 4000 rounds in it. K. found two box fulls (2000 rounds) left in a field, and picked up 300 loose rounds on a short walk across country. If clips of cartridges, containing five each, get dusty or wet, a great many men would throw them away, and just get another from supply. This supply is really under the control of Sergeants, but it is impossible to keep proper supervision. At the moment I have a row on, as I ordered a box of cartridges to be put into the bag of each fire trench, and for the wooden lids to be opened, but for the hermetically sealed tin inside to be, of course, laft intact. I find one tin has been opened, and a bandolier full (50) taken out.

I am glad to say that I think my men have been taught a lesson, and are now very different to the ordinary run of them. When I took over these trenches the whole place was littered with rusty cartridges and bandoliers full, which have now, as far as possible, been collected and cleaned up."

3rd R.B.

August 2, 15. 4 a.m.

"Last night I had the novel experience of taking a patrol out to see if I could gather what the Germans were doing who are about 600 yards away, armed with a revolver. So strange to walk through cornfields and up hedges, prepared at any moment to shoot, and always the big possibility of the Bosche doing the same, and by lying up getting first. The men with me had rifles and bombs. We did not come in with any Bosches.

I had a very nice little service with my Platoon this afternoon, squished up in the bottom of a trench. The news is, I think, bad, and the nation must get on its knees or we may go under. How pessimistic you will think me ! The faith of the few can, I believe, have tremendous results and we must stick to it together.

The references in the next few letters are to the Battle of Hooge, where we recovered some 500 yards of trenches which the Germans, using Flammenwerfer for the first time, had taken.

August 3, 1915. 4 p.m.

"It is a day to live for ! I do indeed hope we move them, though I do not suppose the scheme is to do more than get back the lost ground on a front of about 500 yards. Posts will be irregular after this comes off, so don't expect me to write or ring you up ! A certain place has got to be re-taken. How grand to be turned on to it ! I am troubled to think you may be nervous, but just remember that 'Through the love of God my Saviour all, all is well,' and to have helped in an important bit of work is great whether through with it oneself or not."

3rd R.B., B.E.F.

August 3, 1915, 6 p.m.

"My Dearest Mother,

"As I am writing to R., we got out of the trenches tonight preparatory to a big move. We are in huts to-night, and no doubt quite shortly are in for a big thing, so look out in the paper for a move towards a certain place which wants re-taking. I must not write more now, as there is a lot to arrange in the way of moving.

You gave me a Daily Light portion; I will give you Ps. 23 Great peace of soul in David the warrior - 'He leadeth me beside the still waters'. I shall be in for a noise, but thank God for the peace that none the less reigns.

Do read the Psalm with this thought in mind."

3rd R.B., B.E.F.

2.30 p.m., Wednesday, August 4, 1915.

My Dearest Mother,

"I am writng in a hut behind the firing line, so you can feel happy, unless by chance they should drop a shell on us ! I always have to think in my letters before I talk about 'last night' or 'yesterday,' as for the most part we sleep in the morning, and work at night.

I was going to say we got here last night, but it was about 4.30 a.m., the relief of our trenches taking a long time. Such a different type of Officer in the relieving Regiment to what the R.B. has ! We had to send back guides to bring them up after dark, after which there is a good deal to fix up. They struggled up through about 3/4 mile of communication trench, laden with packs, rations etc. An Officer came ahead in the morning to look round and remarked at Headquarters, 'I suppose you will stay in the trenches till we get in.' Imagine such a question ! I hope to goodness they don't lose the trenches.

We marched back to these huts to the West of a certain well-known place and we passed within a few yards sometimes of our guns, which were firing - the most terrific explosions, and bright light from explosions. It is extraordinary that the teams of horses and mules in the limbers, which have taken rations to the firing line, ever get to stand it, but those I saw hardly minded.

It is interesting Dor mentioning the loss of 500 yards of our front near Hooge - I hope she will again look at the papers next week !

The goose on route is very great. I am wondering and hoping that Knight and I will eat it in what are, at the moment, German trenches ! I have already started getting up my dinner party. Every one accepts !"

A very different style and type of memorial book, but, I must admit it is a good read and very compelling at that.

Andy