Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

"Fortunately the man who was wounded close to me - shot through the side - was properly cared for as a Doctor, who had come up with men of another regiment to search the ground in front of us and bury the men killed last Monday, was standing just by him.............. The Coy. Runner was shot through the stomach last night by a stray bullet when going with my servant to fetch water and rations. He asked for a drink, which fortunatel was not then available, but would have been given him if possible. I only hope he got into the hands of some one who knew better before he obtained any. Hardly any men have 'First Aid' knowledge..........The ration of a water bottle a day is just all right, though sometimes a second cup of tea would be rather nice, but Supply says 'No.' I must stop - I shall put up some more wire before dark and again before light. I hope you don't mind my talking of men being hit so. I continue to try and heal up people with your charming medicine case.

I have just had a nice service for a few minutes in a dug-out; about 30 came. Heavy shelling but none very near. They are now, and have been for three quarters of an hour, giving absolute hell to a well known crater 500 yards north of us. It is too dreadful to see the places being torn to bits. I do not think any man in it can survive, but hope it may be otherwise; probably they mean to re-take it to-night. The last three quarters of an hour they have averaged about ten shells a minute into it; at times vast numbers, three or four together, besides having worried it all day."

To his Father,

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

August 16, 1915.

"All goes very strong, but it is some misfortune to hear that this platoon has to-morrow to move further to the left. We have completed splendid shelter-proofs and everything is getting into first rate order, and now we have to shift down, but this is all in the days work, though sad.

I had a sleep from 5.15 to 6.30 just now and had no idea whether it was 6.30 a.m. or p.m., when I woke. Sometimes work can be done by day; sometimes only by night. Here it is more or less necessary to do both, so that sleep also is in bits. Knight has been shifted away from me."

Marina,

Hence picking this Memorial Bokk, it gives a slightly different slant, but the content is good.

Andy

The ditches,

10 a.m. Tuesday, August 17, 1915.

"We were working early this morning, and then knocked off to give the men a rest, because we shall move to our new ditches aboot 60 yards to our left to-night, and shall be working all night, and probably to-morrow. A most lovely day to-day, and most peaceful so far - hardly any shells, except one or two of what the men call 'Good Mornings,' and those not very near, and very little rifle firing. The 'sniping' at night from behind is really bad where we are. I cannot make it out, as from the direction it must be coming 2,000 to 2,500 yards, and yet their trajectory is still very flat.

Yesterday we had a heavy thunderstorm, which made the ditches absolutely vile, and in several places several inches deep in water. We have had pumps, which are useful, and the worst of it has been drained away - just a touch of the pleasure of winter coming along ! As my boots were wet I took them off for the first time since coming here on Friday, and put on dry socks to sleep in for a few hours last night. I like to be ready at any time for a German attack ! I practically never put on a coat, but am day and night in shirt-sleeves, and when wandering round inspecting rather than working myself, with a rather charming round staff, which I originally got for the purpose of putting through wire coils for them to rotate upon when unminding - now quite useful in the slipperiness of late - no cap, and sleeves rolled up, so now you can picture me.

"There are still birds in this wood, if wood it can be called, the greater part not having more than the smallest sign of green, the trees having, I suppose, been mostly cut down by shells before the Spring. The wood is a mass of stumps torn off at various heights. I was watvching starlings this morning working up the stems for insects in the bullet holes - one or two wrens are also having a gay time. What was really ripping yesterday was a turtle dove cooing. It was peace in the midst of war. Except for the shelling we get from time to time we do no firing from this wood, so it is quiet.

I have not been up to the main road (Ypres - Menin) at the point due north of us, which is about 400 yards off, but very heavy bobmbing goes on there each night. The road is not distinguishable there, as it has joined in the general upheaval.

Giving our bombers clubs instead of rifles is going back to primitive ideas. If only shot and shell could cease and we got to clubs or fists only we should soon make things move here I think.

Your carriage candles are splendid, but at the moment I am wondering how long I can carry on as I only have one and a half left. To-night I am sending a message back by transport to try and get some up, or you may be possibly enclosing two or three. My electric torch and a re-fill are, though, a last resource, and then bacon dripping and string, so I am not lightless yet !"

A Ditch in Flanders

1.45 p.m. Wednesday, August 18, 1915.

"Last night was, I think, the nastiest I have spent. Our position is now across an open bit of rough grass and is a 'trench' which no doubt has been occupied in succession by ourselves and the Germans, German rifles, etc., being in it, as well as several of ours, and other things, including the inevitable thousands of rounds of ammunition rusting in the parapets and in the mud at the bottom in bandoliers of 50 each. Fortunately no unburied bodies.

It is a great compliment to our Regiment being given the work to do of making line trenches out of what are at present valueless, either for shooting of for protection; but strenuous to have to do it.

7 p.m., 18-8-15

"The Bosches have just given us a big bombardment of hundreds of shells on the whole line, to which we have, and still are, replying. What is upsetting is to have these aeroplanes flying without hinderance over our lines. No doubt they cannot bring anti-aircraft guns so far up."

10.30 a.m., Thursday, 19-8-15.

"My birthday ! and a very happy one, as I sit here at the back of my dug-out, with ripping sun, looking out over a three foot wide trench on to a seven foot paprapet wall,, the bottom part about three feet deep (i.e. dug down into the ground on the bottom of which level I sit) and, on this, sandbags, of which I can see about five layers. So I am well protected, though the view from my smoking-room window only embraces country a yard wide by two high.

I told Miles it was my birthday, and asked him how old he thought I was, to which he answered 38 or 39. I asked him why he thought I was this (as almost without exception every one takes me for 26 !). He said I do not look 38, but je was going by the way in which I always insisted on things being done as I wanted, and there was no talking me rounnd, whereas most young Officers did not mind !

The Union Jack flag painted by Rachel at Noseley I have at the entrance to my dug-out, which males it look very nice and gay.

The men are very happy. It is interesting to hear them discussing the War. I have just overheard the question of whether it is civilized warfare or not, also the number of Germans. One man said 'Ten Million......' There is good English competitive spirit among them. I sais to one young fellow that I believe the Germans tried to come out yesterday, to which he answered 'Ay, Sir, but they soon went back. They thought they had one of Kitch's brigades here, not the 6th Division !

We behave here very like children. This afternoon we have been giving them a hot bombardment, no doubt because they started the one yesterday !

There are some very jolly little mice about the trenches, but, unfortunately, none in my dug-out."

To his Mother.

A Trench in Flanders,

Monday August 23, 1915.

".............It is a recognized saying 'Leave the 3rd Rifle Brigade and you luck goes.' It is quite remarkable how fortune has favoured them all through. They had seven months at Armentieres, where they more than made themselves comfortable, the trenches and dug-outs being most elaborate, with beds and other luxuries, and Armentieres providing all necessaries and entertainments. There is very jolly singing all the time in the trenches, and one or two mouth organs about. One man singing 'Better a poor man with a contented mind than a millionaire like me.' All sorts of joking too.

I have two small shell cases and some time fuses which I picked up last evening round the trench, and am a bit oily, as I have been polishing them up with rifle oil, also polishing my boots with the same. I shall probably get my servant to take them to England and post them to you when he goes on leave early next month. Mementos are the freat idea of the men here, and I have caught the infection."

To his sister Rosamond he writes on the same date :

"Young fellows cannot stand the strain of the shell fire. K. is quite upset in nerves, and another very nice young fellow, D., both especially so if there is any shelling and they are alone in their dug-outs. May be that what I have gone through with business strain has seasoned me, anyhow at present I see nothing but the reverse of upset nerves !

.....Oh ! how often I think of you and of old things and times - rabbits just coming above ground at Hunsdon Bury and stamping on their burrows when they spotted os ! Oh ! what days to remember and to hope for soon again !"

To his Mother.

Trench in Flanders,

August 24, 1915.

"My platoon had nine spades handed over to us when we came into these trenches ; we have now about 37, thanks to unearthing what our predecessors had left."

I'm beginning to get this picture of him going around everywhere retrieving useful things. he must have saved the Army a fortune with his collecting of bullets and bandoliers and spades! I wonder why there was so much lying around. Weren't the troops responsible for what was issued to them?

Marina

To his Father.

Huts in Flanders,

Wednesday, August 25, 1915.

"We were relieved at the Front about 11 o'clock last night, and we then came here independently by Platoons.

I took my Platoon south of the much shelled place, thus to avoid that pace, and also the main road running into it from the east (Menin Road). Maps here are very bad, being inaccurate and unintelligible, and as alos engineers have made new roads, and made good what were lanes, the difficulty in planning a route by map is considerable. Unless anything unforseen occurs, we shall be here a fortnight, so they treat us well............

The Ypres Salient has always been a questionable strategic matter. I should consider it is just sufficiently wide to continue holding it, though, as I said, it is rather disconcerting to have fire from almost all sides. Of the casualties we had, almost all were from rifle fire from the rear.

The soldiers French runs for the most part to two expressions : that is 'bon' for 'good' and 'na poo' for anything which no longer exists. I suppose it is their quotation of 'Il n'y a pas plus' ? For instance, coming through a place yesterday a 17-inch shell had landed on a house, making about a twelve foot hole in the ground by twenty feet wide, and all round it a pile of debris, which produced the remark 'na poo, house...........

It has been a comfort to get clothes off after 12 or 13 days, and to have a sponge down, though in a small bucket only of very black coloured water !

August 26, 1915.

"I have just seen, and had walk with, Humphrey Barclay, who is Chaplain to the 9th Lancers, who are also in huts in this wood. I am going to lunch with him - really nice to find him here.

The Brigadier-General has congratulated us on the work we have just been doing as being well done, and of a much more arduous nature than that entailed in doing the attack."

To his sister Rosamond.

3rd R.B.,

Huts in Wood in Flanders,

August 29, 1915.

"My prayer for you on your birthday is that God may be more and more a reality to you. It is, I think, a help to practise the comsciousness of Him as an unseen Presence Who is conscious of all that comes across us, as David : 'The Lord is on my right hand,' - this being the expression of safety, as the man on the right held a shield in his left hand to protect the man on his left.

I must close the poorest of poor birthday letters. For a birthfay present, the two shell cases, which I hope will arrive, and which I hope you will like. I think they are French 75's. Perhaps you may prefer them to something from England."

Huts in Flanders,

August 28, 1915.

"An Orderly Officer yesterday I reccomended that the pond from which the men gat washing water have some paraffin in to kill gnat larva, with which it is thick. To reduce the number of gnats would add to the comfort of the Camp. The Doctor is going to look at it to-morrow.........

You ought to look at the centre page of the 'Daily Mirror' of the 27th, with aeroplane photo of Ypres. It gives a fair idea, though not giving the masses of debris or shell-holes. The last time we had to go through this town we had to go by the by-streets as the Square had been bombarded again with shells, and so cut up that it was impassable."

Sunday 29, 1915.

"We have an open-air Service here at 11, which I look forward to, and a Communion Service after. I shall picture you at Stanstead Church.....

I seem to feel Ken's death more and more, also Charles Werner's probable death (a young Harrow master); both such good friends and so charming. Two nights ago I dreamt I was having a race with W. and a general reg, in which I had the leags of a roe."

August 29, 3 p.m.

"........I agree with you that I have no wish to posses a German helmet. I want though, a good German rifle, if possible, but it is one thing to get these things, and another to get them home. Whether the shell cases I sent have arrived I do not know, but the difficulty of getting them there, and then on, is considerable.

Next time you take a Scottish place, or move with provisions, do remember the value of snadbags to take things in or to pack up with.

We have now been given a new type of helmet to wear in the event of gas, and the old respirators taken back. To see through it it has two round glass-covered holes, and a valvular mouth piece.

We have in Battalion Orders that 'Army Commander have expressed his appreciation of the excellent work performed by the 17th Infantry Brigade during the recent operations at _________ and the consolidation of the position there; and he wishes it to be known that their services will not be forgotten.'"

To his Mother.

Huts in Flanders,

7 p.m. Wednesday, September 1, 1915.

"......I wrote a postcard last night to say I was going to be out this morning, but, like all Army Orders, this was altered to the afternoon. Representative Officers went from each Battalion in this Brigade (about 5 from each Battalion) to certain Divisional Headquarters by London motor-bus to see maps and hear information from a Brigadier as to what was going in the War and the position generally. Every conceivable size and scale of map prepared for various purposes and including portfolios of masp showing results of daily aeroplane reconnaissance. How father would have enjoyed to have been there ! Unfortunately I am unable to pass anything of news.

These Headquarters were in a big house, with long drive up to it through ripping woods, and jolly lake near it, also well-kept flower beds with begonia's etc. ; two or three ripping little terriers having a hunt in the wood by themselves. It was really refreshing to see a house again, and did me a world of good !

After we had finished I picked the Brigadier's mind as to the position opposite the trenches we go into on Friday (which are the same as those I went into first and which you heard from Dick Trotter as 'Easneye !'). I also got a large scale map from him."

Huts in Flanders,

August 28, 1915.

"An Orderly Officer yesterday I reccomended that the pond from which the men gat washing water have some paraffin in to kill gnat larva, with which it is thick. To reduce the number of gnats would add to the comfort of the Camp. The Doctor is going to look at it to-morrow.........

:lol: This Andrew Buxton is wonderful. So practical and pragmatic - and he seems to know so much about so many things. I am enjoying him very much!

Marina

To his Father and Mother.

Trenches in Flanders,

3.30 p.m., Saturday, September 4, 1915.

"Here we go again in trenches ! and a proper experience of them......

It rained very heavily from about Thursday mid-day till Friday evening, fortunately more or less clearing up as we marched off from huts for about a seven mile stretch. Everything was soaking wet, and roads deep with mud. We had also to turn off the road at one place as they were whizz banging along it rather badly to catch such beings as ourselves or any other of the numerous 'game' that pass along it, which made very heavy and sticky work.

We got to the dumping ground about a mile behind where we are now, after the usual number of stops, which are exceedingly welcome, though the pace is very slow. (The regulation stops are 5 minutes after half-an-hour then 10 minutes after each succeeding hour....)

At the dumping grounds we had guides to meet us from the Regiment we are relieving, for each platoon. Our guide, which is more than usually the case, lost his way. The men seem to have no idea of observation, and though this man had been up here for 16 days, no trees or landmarks conveyed anything to him.

I knew all would be bitterly cold, so fortified myself with two or three of your chocolate slabs, peppermint lozenges, and biscuits, medicine case, and brandy. The last two I almost always carry, and the others I brought up in my haversack. Every one's teeth were chattering, and in fact I think I was about the only one warm, having moved about more. Two men were really quite seedy, one having just fainted at his post. It was the natural state from being hungry, wet and tired. I gave these two men some brandy, and one or two of them who cared for it some chocolate too, which were quick and effective cures. Others were very glad of chocolate and lozenges.

It is very fortunate that when life is uncomfortable an English soldier is always cheerful and jovial ; when comfortable he grouses."

11.30 a.m., Sunday, September 5, 1915.

"We look like a lot of tramps coming up to the trenches, things hanging all round, waterproof sheets round our shoulders, sandbags round legs, and every mortal and conceivable device for carrying, by the men at least, all wordly goods possessed out here, also canteen and food ; and endeavour to keep dry.

I have felt since I got here not so much like a tramp, as like a cow, who is solidly plastered with mud on the quarters after a peaceful nights rest on land the composition of these trenches.

To his Mother.

5 p.m. Monday, September 6, 1915.

".......Some men from my old platoon at Sheerness came out and joined us the day after we got here. I was really thankful for their sakes it was not the same day. One of their letters I have just censored. He says to his wife : 'i felt a bit what-oh ! When on sentry on Sunday they began shelling me with whizz-bang; the don't half sound. We had a very long march to get to trenches, in pouring rain, and it didn't come down, I don't think ! We all got swamped, also covered from head to foot with clay, ugh ! I fell over about five times with my full pack on in the dark, and slipped down again when I tried to get up. We were up to our knees in clayey water. That took some of our nervousness away. We had to sleep in our wet clothes, in fact for two days as it still rained. You ought to see me now, covered from head to feet in clay. I don't think you'd fall in love with me, with hardly any hair on my head, and whiskers on my face, and having no wash. It's no use washing, as water is as scarce as gold. Am ghetting used to it now. When the guns go off, they go off, not half. Talk about thunder - Well, it is something like it !' "

Some lovely details in these letters - the chocolate and brandy, the soldier's letter to his wife. he just busies himself with whatever he has to do - no philosophy, no ponderings. I thiunk he must be carrying Mary Poppin's carpet bag - it seems to hold everything from medicines to restoratives to his bible etc etc Wonder if they put the paraffin in the washing pond before they left?

Marina

3 p.m. September 8.

"This afternoon I have greatly enjoyed a read in Acts, and also seeing the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic, which had been left in my dug-out, but I had not made time to look at before. Both so refreshing, and true mind and soul tonics, thpugh the Dramatic side is still no use to me ! It is very strange ikn these days to have to make a new prayer that I may not hesitate, if opportunity occurs, to let of revolver or rifle. I find that the best course is to look at this life from a sporting point of view, and, hard though it is, to make myself oblivios to the fact that the efforts against the same type of flesh and blood as myself.

I am lately back from a really good spy throught the loop-holes of my parapet with Len's splendid glasses, all along the Bosches parapets etc., so exactly like looking for a stag in the heather in a corry in Scotland."

9.45 a.m. September 9.

"These chance shots at night, when men are above ground, are bound to cause a certain number of casualties, and also, when heavy, put the wind up in men working, whereas the Germans, for the most part, do their work without being disturbed. You can so clearly see the order given to them that their men are to stop shell and rifle fire on our part by giving back far more than they get from us. This, as far as I am able, I reverse. Why should they not be sniped when they show themselves in their trenches by day, and be sniped and worried by night ? The German marksmen are told off for no other work than this sniping, but of this sniping, which is right and is an acknowledgment of a good shot, we do nothing, and since I have been out here the Coy. has practically not fired a round; latley, however, I have given my Platoon a good deal. I am now trying to get on to our machine gun Officer M.B. by telephone, which is just two yards from my dug-out to get him to give me a gun to-night, as I can get it on to a bit of ground just opposite me where the Germans are working all night. I am sure to worry them has a great moral effect, if nothing more, which is of more than trifling value, as well as also setting back the work they are on. We have a working party of another regiment to help us with the digging each evening. Anything from 100 to 800 men. Yesterday our Chaplain came along the trench. He described my bit of line as a place d'honneur, and, later, a Staff Major and a Lieutenant with him. Having no military knowledge, I thought it well to tell him my opinion of the position here, especially of a certain danger, as I thought ! I also showed him how the trenches were arranged on his map. The line I was in before this was really much too long for my Platoon and up here on one side I am left in the air.

"It is a place of importance, and is recognized as being of a tricky nateur. We are near the Bosche. Their saps come up to within eighty yards of our saps. This means frequent trouble with their and my 'posts' and patrols meeting..........

It is exciting work having bombing encounters so near. They, or we, creep up to each others posts on stomachs.........

A great difficulty in the listening is that the hedges and fields are crammed full of rats, which of course you hear all the time, as also our working parties so near. Every night, except last night, a German patrol of bombers has come up and there has been a row. The noise of the bombs is tremendous. I go out from time to time and see that all is right, and wait with the men a bit, listening. The night before last, just after I had got up to one post, there was a noise in the rough corn and grass, which might easily have been a man crawling. We threw a bomb, but with no apparent result. I think the Germans are very scared at the game, as, after crawling some way, they get up and run forward, throwing some bombs, and then bolt back.

The first night our Coy. was up when Knight was Officer here we lost by one of our own bombs one of the most valuable men in the Battalion. He was a man of a quite temperament, but as near as any man I ever knew in not knowing what fear is. There had been a bombing rowon, which to him was an irresistable necessity to go about fifty yards in front and see what was up, and join in. He must have gone out beyond the patrol, without all the men in the patrol knowing it, and been bombed when he came back. He has been out here since the start, and has done most valuable work for the Platoon. The Germans generally throw short in their haste to get away. Last night they sent a trench-mortar bomb, which fell near a patrol, but did no harm."