Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

To his Sister Rosamond.

In Huts, 3rd R.B.,

Sunday, February 6, 1916.

"I have a lot on, and a rotten day, being heavily shelled, or rather some guns by us; one shell hit three of my men. Another man of mine was hit carrying last night, and five or six during the three days in the trenches. One Sergeant had a very close shave. He was going out to put up wire with me in the early morning, with a close fitting wool helmet, and a bullet cut a hole through it without touching his head. Another man, not so fortunate, was sniped, no doubt by a telescopic rifle. The bullet went into the centre of his forehead, and out near his temple. He was just by me. He was able to get up and walk, and apparently did not feel much ill effect. As it was clean wound I hope he may recover. The front of the brain is, I think, the least serious of the part."

Marina,

Not sure, but I have seen pictures of some horrendous wounds that have survivied. Andrew does say he might recover.

Andy

Marina,

Not sure, but I have seen pictures of some horrendous wounds that have survivied. Andrew does say he might recover.

Andy

Maybe he'll mention this later. He remembers thngs like this.

Marina

To his Father.

In Huts,

7 p.m., Sunday, February 6, 1916.

"The shelling set light to ammunition by the guns, and that has been going off at intervals - they have just sent over a dozen more shells on to the same spot, and again set light to the stuff, which is popping off."

1.30 p.m., Wednesday, 9-2-16.

"I had another working party to take last night, but a better hour than the previous one. Started at 5 p.m. and got in about 11.30 p.m. A rotten night, very heavy rain a great deal of the time.

The night was of interest in that the Bosche were putting more shells over my head than I have experienced previously in the time. They appeared to be shooting especially at gun positions and roads. They were often going over in herds or flocks or coveys or droves, or whatever the correct expression is as applied to shells, and following on like a long-drawn-out pack of grouse. You would have liked to have been there and heard them going over; big high travelling ones, then the quick explosions, or else duds, behind, or else shrapnel on the roads, with quick crisp explosions about 20 yards above the road. They started putting some evidently at where we were working at a trench right away from a road, no doubt having spotted the work by aeroplane, and guessed we were there."

On February 14 came the quite unexpected joy of a week's "leave," which he spent at Easneye. He went back again with the Battalion by the 23rd.

To his Father.

B.E.F.,

Noon, Wednesday, February 23, 1916.

"Here I am back with the Battalion. Ground white with snow.

I had a good journey. Kept at Boulogne about four hours, which I spent chiefly in the 'Folkestone' Hotel. The train left at 7.30 p.m., divided as usual into carriages for the different divisions, by which I came to our usual railhead [Poperinghe], getting there about 1.30 a.m. As we got in aeroplanes or Zeppelins were dropping bombs on the place; the train in consequence got properly 'windy,' the last mile or so pulling up with sudden jerks.

The R.T.O. there told me where my Battalion were, but, as I felt sure, his information was wrong. I went into an old sort of chateau place near the station, and had a lie down in a strange sort of room, where was a bed with dilapidated spring base, and door with two panels out. It was pretty cold, but I got some sleep all right, thanks largely to finding an old bit of mat, about four feet long by two feet, on the floor, which I put on top of myself, and thanks also to mother's provisions from which I also had breakfast when I shifted off again about 8 a.m."

To his Sister Rosamond.

B.E.F.,

February 26, 1916.

"That Sunday was a bad affair with our casualties. I have written to the families of those who were killed who were in my Platoon when I had a Platoon. There was one unusual case of shock; he was a man of thirty-two, with six children. He was not hit, but lay absolutelt paralysed all over, quite conscious, and apparently calm, and died two days later. You might by chance find yourself one day near his home, when it would be very kind to see his widow. He was in my Platoon. It is very tragic to think that she does not probably know of his death, as, as far as I know, no one has written from here, and in the case of a soldier the news is not given by the W.O. for several weeks."

Huts, B.E.F.

1 p.m., Thursday, March 2, 1916.

"I did not know, when I wrote to you yesterday, what last night would bring forth, as it had been planned to retake some ground, which you know was lost some time ago, and, though in reserve, it appeared very probable that we should have to assist, or anyhow move up nearer.

The road by us was yesterday a wonderful sight of troops moving, including one Highland Regiment with their pipes, also transport, etc. All men with steel helmets.

Our Coy. Commanders went up several days ago to see how the ground lay, in case we should be in it..........

The only report I have is that we have taken trenches except in one part, and this part is being dealt with."

5 p.m.

"There have been four lots of German prisoners marched along this road to-day, about forty in each.

A good number were wounded in arms and various parts. All looked pretty washed out, pale, as though they had had enough of it, which no doubt is the case; even if they were in the trenches for only last night our guns must have given them a terrible time.

Most of them were wearing German regular boots, half way up the calf, and a good many long blue-grey overcoats, more or less anything in the way of breeches, some corduroy, etc. Those who had caps had soft ones, no steel helmets, unless the steel helmets had been pinched as souvenirs by our men !

It must have been strange for them coming through our camps; our men, very keen, running in hundreds to the side of the road to look at them. I expect they were thankful to be moving along, even as prisoners, after the time they must have had.

It is strange having drills, when any time we may move and have to go and fight. Every one is ready with fighting order, and has been the last twenty-four hours. My fighting order consists of my equipment with water bottle and revolver, and haversack buckled on to it. In haversacks, bag of emergency rations, which consist of chocolate, tin of Brnd's, and hind leg of your exvellent chicken ! also spare pair of socks and puttees. It is strange not knowing where I may find myself before any day or night is over."

To his Sister Rosamond.

B.E.F.,

February 26, 1916.

There was one unusual case of shock; he was a man of thirty-two, with six children. He was not hit, but lay absolutelt paralysed all over, quite conscious, and apparently calm, and died two days later. You might by chance find yourself one day near his home, when it would be very kind to see his widow. He was in my Platoon. It is very tragic to think that she does not probably know of his death, as, as far as I know, no one has written from here, and in the case of a soldier the news is not given by the W.O. for several weeks."

I wonder if this man died of some sort of concussion to the brain, even though he wan't wounded. I bet Rosamund went to see the widow too - the Buxtons seem like that kind of people.

Marina

4 p.m. Friday, 3/3/16.

"Still here all right, though apparently we were nearly wanted to go up yesterday afternoon, as the Germans had made a counter-attack, and things looked a bit critical. Our transport horses were kept harnessed all night so as to be ready...........

I am wondering what the papers will say about the efforts here, probably a brief communique giving an impression of some small affair which has given no trouble; whereas when you see (and hear, in the matter of guns) troops, guns, limbers, aeroplanes, and know all the detail that has had to be fixed up, you realize that these efforts are a very great undertaking.

.............I did not tell you of a message through to us yesterday: 'Be ready to move at a moment's notice.' 'Are you ready to move at once ?' But we are still here ! The Brigade seem to have got the wind up. Yesterday we heard 224 Bosche (of whom 4 are Officers) had been taken prisoners, but this number apparently has been increased."

2 p.m., Saturday, 4th.

"...........The Battalion has had a lecture from the Brigade Intelligence Officer of our Battalion. He told us how the re-taking of these trenches was done. Our guns fired salvoes every three minutes from 8 p.m. till 4.30 a.m., when they lifted on the German back trenches to do in troops there and make a curtain of fire to prevent reinforcements coming up. At 4.30 our troops took the trenches required, with but a few casualties.

The Germans shelled us from the onwards, in which I should gather we had heavy casualties; it is generally the case that by means of heavy artillery fire, any trenches can be taken, and from counter-attacks.

I have now got our 'Daily Summary,' which gives details of what occurred.

The total prisoners were 250 men and 5 Officers. The number of prisoners was large, owing to the Germans carrying out a relief at the time of our attack, and also that we surrouinded one bit. The high bit of ground called 'The Bluff' immediately north of the Canal (south of Hill 60) was the essential bit to get back, which was done all right; they also got back my old friend the bit of trench which I was once in, and the front line of German trench just opposite it and quite near (in one place about 35 yards off).

I am most awfully flourishing, and hope greatly you are all the same. There is very little chance of now being wanted. In some ways I am very sorry."

To his Sister Rosamond.

B.E.F.,

13/3/16.

"Don't think of any job for me beyond what I have. I enlisted for what I am doing, i.e. straight ahead fighting wherever wanted, and I am prepared to continue and see it through. I do not wish to avoid risk, and I do not think you would wish it either. The necessity of myself 'doing in' men I should like to avoid, and mercifully have been spared this so far."

To his Sister Rosamond.

B.E.F.,

Sunday, March 12, 1916.

"I have just had a short Service in one of the men's huts. There were one or two other Services fairly near, one in a cinema, and one in the Y.M.C.A. hut at 10 a.m., but as a bit early for those out last night, I thought well to have this."

To his Mother.

B.E.F.,

Sunday, 19/3/16.

"Our Coy. moved about five miles eastwards last evening, having a lift on a train almost to a well shelled place - the first time I have been on a train on that certain bt of line.

M., who refuses to ride Nero, our Coy. horse, any more since he was chucked off, walked up earlier, so I brought the Coy. There is accomodation for all in the dug-outs, dug into the railway embankment half a mile south of the place which I said was shelled. The dug-outs are right under the line, with passage of four or five yards to come in by, and so ought to be pretty shell proof............

Two nights ago I took up B., one of our new Officers, to show him how to do these things - it made it particularly interesting, as he was only out for the first time, and greatly excited to know what shell or trench mortar or rifle grenade was, and whether ours or German, and seeing the trenches, which appeared like Hampton Court maze to him. Like every one else, he was amazed at the dilapidated appearance of the muddy front line - trench diggers in England often forget that trenches are frequently knocked to bits, then built up, then knocked to bits again the next day, and so no. I began to feel quite a veteran who knows the ropes; anyhow one does realise on showing some one the trenches for the first time the seeming folly of putting troops to attack trenches (as has been done both here and in Gllipoli) who had never seen trenches as we have them out here !

I often long greatly for a move, and to see into the German trenches, the parapets of which I know so well by sight. It may come along some day, but no sign as yet.

There is a small humorous paper issued here called The Wipers Times or Salient News, said to be only 100 copies printed for each number. I am fortunate in having No. 3 as a some day souvenir."

3 p.m., Sunday.

"I have been watching for some time one of our aeroplanes flying low (comparatively speaking) up and down the German lines - quite one of the finest things I have seen - the Bosche pumping first black shrapnel for about three quarters of an hour, then, having very possibly run out of this, white shrapnel at it. He (the airman) zigg-zagging and turning all the time. Probably he was photoing the trenches. They must have fired many hundred shells. I wish Arthur could have seen it, as he would have greatly liked it. I forgot to tell you when I was last where I am now (on way with working party) they had been putting lachrymatory shells on to this part, nothing very thick, or enough to put goggles or tube helmet, but enough to make us all do a bit of weeping."

To his Father.

B.E.F.,

4 p.m., Monday, 20/3/16.

"I have been in about half-an-hour from a long walk round certain front line trenches, which I had not seen before............. We have a small shallow pond, with low rushes by the side, in which I saw a ripping pike of about 5 lbs. muddling about. I had a shot at it with my revolver, and apparently stunned him for about a minute, as after that he began to move off again, but difficult to see whereabouts his head or tail was. I thought I got him with another shot, which was about right as it seemed, but he only went off with a big rush. I was very sorry not to get him, as it would have given the men great joy to have had him for breakfast !"

To his Mother.

Dug-Outs, B.E.F.

1 p.m., Tuesday, 21/3/16

"Instead of transport coming up to us to-night, we go back to it for two nights, after which I say farewell to the Salient. From all accounts it appears to be quite the worst part of the line, and there is great rejoicing at a move a little southwards, though, as I now know the ground pretty well, I cannot say I move without regret.........

A ripping paqir of moorhens by us on this pond. I wonder where they will nest. It must be difficult to choose, surrounded by Tommies ! The poor young ones will have poor chances with pike and masses of rats.

It is very notiveable how little the Germans now put over of heavy stuff - 'Granny's' or 'Trains' as we used to call them - travelling over our heads in the trenches, bound for some farm or similar place which they wanted to demolish. I have not myself heard one, at any rate anywhere near, for several months."

Noon, Wednesday, 22/3/16.

"I told you I missed a pike in a pond, but yesterday I shot a fish, probably a 1lb Roach, or something of the sort. Quite fun trying to recover it in the rushes; the mud was too deep for gum-boots, so got a tub, in which one of the servants made a perilous journey though ruhes but, ined of retrieving it, stupidly drove it into the mud !

............... I wonder when my next leave will come off. I think I look forward to each one more than the previous one.. All news seems good, so perhaps a permament leave may soon come off ! I long and long to see you all.

I write this sitting in a big hut, which is used for the Battalion for this day we are here, as a mess room, each Coy. having seperate bits of long tables. At the moment it looks like a club - every one (15 Officers) reading or writing. A servant has just been in to ask one Officer if he will have breakfast (time now 1 p.m.) He answers 'No, thanks, I will have lunch !' "

FAREWELL TO THE SALIENT

March - July 1916

Eight months - and those mainly winter months - in the Ypres Salient are calculated to give even the most stout hearted more than his fill of War experience, and Andrew was not sorry when the day came for a move to other parts of the battle-front. He writes to his mother on March 25, 1916.

In Billets (Farms)

B.E.F., [Godewaersoelde].

"Yesterday (March 24), was an eventful day in my army history in that I left the Salient after eight months there, and I do so feeling never more fit in my life.

We had a good ten miles march, starting at noon yesterday, with a shooting lunch en route, for which we (i.e. the Brigade, with transport etc., complete) halted 3/4 hour. The men had good hot stew ready in the travelling kitchens belonging to each Coy. My lunch you provided, as is often the case - ration bread the only stranger !

Sir Douglas Haig passed us in a motor on the way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No one fell out of our Coy., which is really good going, as there are a certain number of both very young small fellows, and of old and wheezy ones. I was not carrying anything like they were, but had had quite enough, or rather certain shoulder muscles had, from the drag of the pack !

We find here a 'Barr and Stroud' range finder, probably left in the farm by whatever troops have just gone out, quite new, value about £60 or £70.

You can feel happy about me, such a comfortable warm room with big table, and right behind the lines - the only trouble you are not here too !"

To a Friend.

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

25-3-16.

"My Dear A.,

Most ripping to get your letter, with its blessings and cursings, of which the latter appear to prevail.........

From what I see out here, you are right in saying the soldier feels he can get on without religion, or perhaps feels rather incomplete, though religion is far from his wish. It is the old story of the unfortunately wrong point of view of religion which prevails - entirely negative: don't do this and don't do that, then some day get to Heaven and have a good time.

I have had a few Services as opportunity has occurred for the men, and endeavoured to give them the Truth as I read it in the Bible, with its essentially positive nature-members of the Kingdom, by which life becomes 'unto God.' I see at these times that the feeling of incompleteness is felt, and also that the Gospel is what is needed. All revivals have started by a return to the Bible, and when expounded irresistibly appeals to men.

I repeat the words 'Why all this ?'; forgive, as it does me good to have a bit of a talk. I do sometimes refresh myself with memories of Scotland, though it is hard to do in this land. This War is loathsome; mercifully I have been saved from the worst so far. We now have left the Salient after a long time there. I have had just over eight months in it."