Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

To his Mother.

AQugust 6, 1916.

".........It is a great day to live in and I am thankful to be taking part.......... We had an excellent Service in the opeen this morning - the Brigade there - Arthur spoke well."

Diary - August 6.

"In afternoon walked with Arthur to Fricourt and saw the lines. The mine craters to left of Fricourt specially interesting."

August 7.

"We move up in support to Guillemont to-morrow. G. is to be taken at 5.a.m. Going up very light - haversacks only."

Diary - August 9, 1916.

"At 6.30 a.m. went with Pigot, other Officers, and some N.C.O.'s to see the country at the Front. Went through masses of our guns, leaving Mont-au-Vay on our left, then up west side of Bernanfray Wood, then up Longueval Alley towards top of Trones Wood. Wounded being brought down covered with dust. All men looked done up. A lot of dead still unburied West of Tones Wood. Back at 8.30 a.m. for physical and bayonet drills."

August 11.

".......Arthur's birthday. Cake at lunch put me off tea and supper"

Diary - August 12.

"Started work again (on trenches at Longueval) at 4 a.m., but had to knock off for 20 minutes owing to more shelling. As last night, had to have a burial party to clear the ground we had to dig. Weird, starting digging and burying before dawn. Buried about thirty, all English. Pay-book and Identity Disc got from most. Lots of salvage about. Men hardly slept last night, with so much shelling, but set themselves well to the work. Thought it was Sunday all day, but Arthur came up in afternoon from Headquarters in Bernafray Wood and said it was Staurday....... In afternoon we shelled heavyily. Our aeroplanes flew very low over the Bosch, dropping white lights. We had 15 or 20 'sausages' ip. Very fine how we allow no Bosch sausages and very seldom an aeroplane.......... All night heavy artillery fire from both sides - heaviest continuous fire I ever heard."

To his Father.

"August 12, 1916.

"........Many happy returns ! I can send no birthday present from this land as it is torn and bare. What a strange 1th August ! I sicerely hope do have another out here. It hardly seems possible for the War to go on thus long, and the thought of a possible contrast in a peaceful Scotch place is most overwhelming."

To his Mother.

August 12, 1916.

"........ I am feeling more fit than you can imagine possible, thanks to plenty of exercise. Friday night the Coy., after a very hot march, dug from 7.30 to 8.30. I then knocked it off as Bosch shelling was too close and no trench to get into. Started again at 4 a.m., but had almost at once to stop for 20 minutes as Bosch again troublesome.............

We have trenches 200 yards from our work to come back to, though no dug-outs. The men have to cook their own meals, so they are kept going. I have worked, of course, only a very small part of what they have as I have to supervise the work, plan out trenches and plenty of other things. I had a small cupful of precious water yesterday in which I had a good shave, teeth wash, and bath ! We gave the Bosch a rare 'strafe' yesterday afternoon to which he replied about 10 p.m. You cannot conceive what the firing from both sides was from then till 5 a.m., it was terrific."

From his Brother Arthur.

August 14, 1916.

"We are indeed 'On Active Service,' and life is not all jam. On Saturday night Andrew was in the trenches. I was staying at Headquarters ; Andrew in miserable quarters. You know how sheep in Scotland burrow out a cavity on the lee side of the hill to be out of the wind. That is how Andrew and his men were living in little holes in the side of a trench - no 'mess,' no table, etc."

Diary - August 14.

"Saw C.O. at noon, who described when and where we should attack. Aeroplane photos wonderful."

August 15.

"Not very good night. Had walk with Arthur last night, and prayer. A 'dud' shell very near. C.C. saw all Officers and N.C.O.'s at 2 o'clock and described course of our attack, which is now put off till 18th...........C.O. says 'A' and 'D' Coys. are to lead attack, which is disappointing, but not likely to be lack of interest ! Lots of additional guns about the last day or two."

Can I just say Andy ....

that I was very moved by the mention of Rifleman James Orchard and the picture of his grave and medals and plaque and I'm so glad you have them safe and can show them to us ....... !

I get the feeling that Andrew is very brave writing his letters but maybe not so brave inside !!

I still feel very apprehensive of what's going to be happening soon !

Annie

To his Mother.

Billets,

August 16, 1916.

"A good deal of rain last evening which was bad for working parties. Our party did not get in till about 2.30 a.m.

............By the time you get this we expect to have done a bit of work of more than usual interest. I may, or may not, then be able to tell you of it, and now can say no more that that I would not miss it for anything ! Don't be alarmed, my dear. I wish you also could have the interest of it. This morning at 5 a.m. I went with Pigot and other O.C. Coys. to see a certain bit of ground. It was more like Scotland than ever in the early dawn. The earth thrown out from trenches and from shell holes looking like heather in the undulating open country."

Hi Annie,

Having James trio and plaque makes this story of Andrew and the exploits of the 3rd RB all the more moving, bringing this memorial book to life.

To a certain extent I agree and feel there is a little bit of bravado there for the benefit of the family.

Andy

In the Somme fighting considerable progress had been made and ground won before the 24th Division, with Andrew's Battalion, was thrown into the Battle. North and South of Guillemont, respectively, part of Delville Wood and the whole of Trones Wood were in our hands; but Guillemont itself, the one bog position as yet untaken in the German Second Line, still held out. On August 18 Guillemont was attacked, at first with partial sucess ; but a few days later the whole position was finally won, though at considerable cost. It is to these attacks on Guillemont that the following letters and Diary entries refer.

Diary - August 17, 1916.

"Left the Bosch trenches (between Montauban and Carnoy) at 5 a.m., with C.O. to Sherwood Street east of Trones Wood...........Walked with Page, my Orderly, round Waterlot Farm, via Old German Alley, also towards Arrow Head Copse to get a view of Guillemont and our objective."

August 18.

"Got orders from Pigot. Zero time 2.45 p.m. 'A' Coy. were on the left, 'B' in centre, 'D' on right, 'C' behind 'D' in 'Sherwood Trench, and 'D' half in 'Mike' and half in'New.' Cut steps to get out by. Shelling tremendous. When D advacned we advanced into 'New,' where we stayed 3 or 4 minutes, then advanced into 'Mike,' where we were intended to stay until 4.4. p.m., when advance again to the Bosch line presumed taken. Reported to Pigot at H.Q. and ordered by him to reinforce E. of Station...........

Went back and gave my orders; very difficult to make myself heard. Heard Brown was killed. Saw Bosch being shot like rabbits, ghastly. When first advanced saw four partridges get up in front of 'Mike' and fly straight over Guillemont; thought our barrage must kill one, but didn't !

The 10 minutes hurricane bombardment was terrific. When Pigot told me to reinforce he said "I congratulate you." Got over pretty easily....... Found B. in a deep 30 ft. dug-out where I made my H.Q.; entrance just like a rabbit hole under large mass of concrete. Place an awful sight of dead and wounded. A fine Bosch Doctor walking about doing good work; 3 or 4 Bosch wounded by dug-out.............

C. Coy. dug in well. Railway Station taken without opposition. I had orders to hold the Station and not have less than 50 men in it. There were three machine guns and a Lewis gun of B Coy. there too. In the Bosch dug-out we found field glasses, revolvers, endless equipment, iron rations, rifles, Very lights, a bottle of brandy and of Hock, cigars, cigarettes, aerated water, two bugles, flutes and medicine cases."

August 19.

"Men were digging all night. In case of counter attack did not allow any one to sleep till well after dawn, though men were quite done up. They were completing the Station trenches all night,

The programme was to get half way through Guillemont by a further attack at 5 a.m., but this had to be cancelled as the 73rd Brigade got hung up on our right yesterday afternoon. (It was an ever memorable sight to see them advance yesterday.) Continued working and clearing dead from dug-outs, etc. Used telephone wire, but frightfully difficult to get bodies out. Buffs got in yestrday on our right quite easily.........Venner was killed after we got to Bosch trench; only saw him just before he died........My Sergt.-Major, also Page my Orderly, killed to-day by the same shell. Buried them, and Jock Henderson and Venner, after dark; also others of our men and lots of Bosch."

Sunday, August 20.

"A little dozing, but practically no sleep. Dug-out full of debris, signallers, orderlies, etc. Bosch shelling very nasty but ours far heavier. Not much on the Station fortunately. We have got the Bosch here all right now, I think.

Guillemont appears like a ploughed field. Our dg-out has two entrances, both very dangerous. Cleared out the dug-out by a chain of men. In evening put on a working party to dig trench along lines of Bosch front line towards D Coy. Men very done, but had to be done by dawn. Had a Coy. of Fusiliers to help. Pigot sent in afternoon congratulations on work and also saying, 'Now get some rest.' Did not pass on latter part of messgae as too important to carry on work. Men very rattled. Corporal Hogben killed to-day, also Wedlock of A. Coy. Arthur turned up in afternoon ; so ripping to see him. He asked where Guillemont was ! The men remarked, 'He can't keep away from the Front.' From French reports it appears possible Bosch may have evacuated Guillemont, so going to patrol accordingly and snatch the trench east of 'High Holborn.'

The idea was that we should be relieved on Saturday, but nothing doing, though Sunday was promised. On Sunday Pigot sent round to say we had to be in till Tuesday, 22nd. Men very done and rattled, and greatly depressed at this news."

To a certain extent I agree and feel there is a little bit of bravado there for the benefit of the family.

Andy

I think to a certain extent, he may be self-censoring to avoid worrying family at home, but I'm convinced very much. He does seem to be a pragmatic and sanguine individual who is quite capable of getting on with the work a hand. He does report the deaths and his own feelings about it, but he isn't a 'dweller on the bad things'.

Marina

Monday, August 21.

"Zero time for the renewal of attack for taking Brompton Road and dug-outs at the side was 4.30 p.m. 1st R.F. were on the right; Queens beyond them. The 1st R.F. moved on before the two minute's intense bombardment had begun and were spotted. As soon as they (1st R.F.)had got to Hill Street our D. Coy. were to advance. Fusiliers got their objective, then were driven back and D. Coy. got badly cut up. Chamberlain observed near dug-out and Vernede at Station; most valuable reports from bith.

I had orders to send up a bomb squad to reinforce and carry bombs, and later 20 men with more boxes. Frequently our own shells were doing in our own men. Later got orders to dig new line behind where Venner with a few men was holding out and to tell him to retire to it. This new line was from east end of Station to Brompton Road. Men absolutely done. Sherwood Foresters came and helped dig. Put out covering parties. Looked round for wounded ; found Shaw Stewart killed.......... We were relieved at 5 a.m. by R.F.'s........... Total Battalion casualties: 8 Officers killed, 8 wounded; other ranks 278."

Tuesday, August 22.

"Got back at 6 a.m. to 'Sherwood Street,' where at once slept. Went to H.Q. 11 a.m.; heard we were to be relieved by Cornwalls at 4 p.m. A very nasty day with lots of shelling, but fortunately no casualties.

........Went to Carnoy with remnants of D. Coy. attached to us. Just managed to get myself along. Just beyond top of C. had buses to Happy Valley. Men began to sing a little just before Carnoy - joy. Alfred Dunnage who had been on a course had beautiful supper ready for us."

From Arthur.

Tuesday, August 22, 1916.

"I know you will have been anxiously waiting for a letter, but I simply could not write till our time in the trenches was over. It has been awful, and the fact that we are both well (Anrew especially) have come through without a scratch is simply providential and due to prayer.

He has been through an inferno ! I have only just seen him once since Thursday, so can't say much from him, but about (I mustn't give numbers) of wounded men of our Battalion have been through our Dressing Station, so I've heard a good deal of what it was like. I simply can't give a connected account, but just a few facts will show.

Out of our mess of 7 Officers, Brown and Venner have been killed and Catchside wounded; Andrew, Vernede, myself and Chamberlain are all right. A's Sergeant-Major and his runner are dead. Last week I went a walk with three charming young Officers, Henderson, Daly and Barnard, to-day I am the only one left, all the three killed. Out of four Company Commanders only Andrew and Boscawen are left, the other two wounded badly ; it's too awful for words. It's marvelous that our Dressing Station is still standing; 2 other Regimental ones are knocked out and a despatching station, and only this morning we had a terrific shelling and of course a direct hit from the big stuff they were sending over would have done for the place and all in it. Two men on Friday were standing in the doorway; both were blown in - one died in five minutes, the other badly wounded. Oh ! the loss of precious lives is awful, so are the sufferings of the wounded. The constant danger, the noise, the smells are past words. But if I feel it bad, it's ten times worse for Andrew, and even if he doesn't get some decoration you can believe me he has more than deserved it.

"I trust we will get out all right to-night. I long to leave it all behind and I suppose some unfortunate fresh troops will come in and carry on. I only trust they'll take us right away from these sights and sounds. At home you can't understand what it is, and the many pitiable cases of shell-shock. Many have been buried 2,3 or even 4 times - think what that does to the nerves. After our first night in a fairly decent dug-out, when we'd had a bit of shelling during the night, the Medical Officer confessed to me that he had felt scared out of his wits. Far worse is it when you're above ground or in trenches that may be blown in on you. I must stop. There is reams more I want to write, but you must let me sleep instead. The dug-out of which I spoke is one once used by a Bosch Company. The dressing station an old Bosch gun-pit. Needless to say souvenirs are many, though I can't be bothered with carrying them.............

nNo further need to worry; just sing Doxology and imagine us resting well behind the line for a month or two at least; would that we might do the rest at home. I will not post this till we are safely back. Love to All.

Arthur"

Telegram.

Wednesday, 23.

"Both well, got back here last night."

From Andrew.

4 p.m., 23-8-1916. Wednesday.

"Arthur has this afternoon sent you a wire to say all well, by which you will know we have been through something. I return to find lots of letters and six parcels which were kept behind while we were in a show..........

I don't feel I can now describe these last six days, they have been too big. We got back late last night and I had a glorious slepp till about 11 a.m. to-day. I was 'done' and footsore last night, having had practically no sleep 'there' and plenty of anxiety........

A Glorious bath this morning in a waterproof sheet, and shave of seven days beard !"

From Andrew to his Mother.

B.E.F., Billets,

5 p.m., 24-8-16.

"I have now opened all the parcels, which are truly beautiful; thanks so much for them. I wish I could have had them where we have been, but such things cannot be got up, and if I had them before I could not have carried them up. Don't send any more now. Your letters now come along every day, and are most welcome. Please thank Ros for her parcel from Cromer, so beautiful, and full of thought for what I like. Please keep enclosed post-cards found in Bosch trenches.

I may not say where I have been fighting, and the story of it must remaine till I see you. I know not how to start, continue or finish, as there was too much, all of such moment to us there. On the second day I was watching the course of the fight from about 500 yards to the left from a slight slope, and reporting to Head Quarters by telephone what was happening. I soon had sent away about half of my men to carry more bombs up to D. Company, and to support them, and was wondering what my orders would be. I was nominally in reserve. I expected to have a go and reinforce, and probably be wiped out as D. Company were, and this order was given me but then cancelled about 8.30 p.m., and told instead to try after dark an advanced trench about 130 yards from the Bosch, and tell the remnant of D. Company to retire to it. Our men were absolutely done, but we had a Coy. of another Regiment to help us, and we were going to be relieved by yet another Regiment. This relief came off at about 5.30 a.m. At that time, i.e. just as it was getting light, we managed to extricate a wounded man from a 60 feet deep well. The well was exactly at the bottom of a shell-hole, and running back wounded he tumbled into this for protection, and went straight to the bottom. It was in our front line, and only by chance that I heard a noise as I passed the top. Amazingly, he was unhurt. I sent to Headquarters, and luckily got some armoured telephone cable, which, tied to a pick, I let down, and with about ten men pulled him up (my men were so done up that it was with difficulty I could get them to give a hand to save this man's life !). He was frightfully exhausted but will be all right. We found a Bosch jammed down a similar hole, which we could not get him out of, and also a Bosch in a deep dug-out, quite unable to get out. The latter seemed broken all over, but lived two days, and the former three days. Such a problem whether to shoot a man in such torture."