Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

December 16.

"There are two such jolly black puppies about 9 or 10 weeks old belonging to our Mess. They live in the garden round the house and are a real tonic to talk to - unaffected by war, just ordinary charming pups !"

Dairy - December 24, 1916.

"A very busy day in the office all day. In evening dined with C. Coy. R.B. at house with white shutters in Mazingarbe. Bridgeman, Patey, and Northcroft there, a real joy."

To his Mother.

B.E.F.,

Christmas Day,

Monday, 9.15 a.m., 25-12-16.

"I have had two or three rides lately, going up to a certain part, though not able to ride the whole way, as within sight of the Bosch, but winderful to be able to get as far as is done. This is owing to the cover a certain village street gives. There are often hurdles or canvas screens along the sides of roads in places where traffic can otherwise be seen by the Bosch. I rode the General's little horse the other day, such a beauty. I wished Ros. had it.

I have had two ripping good evenings with the R.B. lately. First one with 'A' and 'D' Coys. and last night with 'C' Coy.; all very gebial and in good form. They are now only about one and a half miles from where I am."

Diary - Christmas Day, 1916.

"At 7.30 p.m. dined with the R.B.'s at Mazingarbe - 17 Officers there. Beautiflu room and dinner. A most ripping evening. I thought of our Christmas dinners last year ; whi will there be next year and where will it be ?"

To his Mother.

3 p.m., Wednesday, 27-12-16.

"I take it as a compliment being now acting Staff Captain while Norrie has gone away, as it means a lot of responsibility. The work varies from day to day, but there are several things to get on with which mean a lot of time and working out, especially Appendices to defence scheme. I was going hard all yesterday till 12 midnight, which is usually the time we knock off in the office, work starting about 9.30 a.m. When I got back to bed 12.30 the firing was heavy, so I got up at 1 to get to the telephone to see if anything special was on, then at 3.30 a.m. an Orderly stirred me up with a message, so you see there in plenty moving. It is extremely interesting, and I enjoy it much. I only hope the Brigade Major won't get sick from having too much on him. He is a charming fellow, but far from well. He and the Brigadier, General Dugan, are a great deal up the line, often for most of the day, which means my seeing the various Artillery and other Officers who come in, and taking messages or arranging things for them. Or some Battalion ringing up, wanting Artillery retaliation etc."

To his Brother Arthur.

Headquarters,

73rd Infantry Brigade, B.E.F.,

December 29, 1916.

"I do feel torn asunder in not being in the trenches, but on the other hand I think best that I am not as the strain is too great now that Brown, Venner, Chamberlain and Vernede have gone. I would revel in it if they were there to be with me."

To his Sister Rosamond.

H.Qs., 3rd Infantry Brigade, B.E.F.,

December 21, 1916.

"I wonder when Sabbaths will return again. I should dearly love a day's rest, but I struggle on in spite of it being Sunday. I am glad to be out of the trenches for a bit, as I don't think I could stand the strain as things are at present, and without any of the old time support of the old time Officers. The trenches are, of course, vile from this wet. There is an Officer in where I write now who says he got stuck yestersay, and if he had not had a servant he would be there still in the trench. The effort comes in the discouraging amount of work to do, and the men's vitality being so low, and hence so difficult to make it pleasant. A man here the other day killed himself from overwork in the trenches. He refused to go sick till he could not help himself, and then died soon after he got down. A noble character to stick it thus."

To his Father.

Headquarters,

73rd Infantry Brigade,

January 1, 1917.

"Mother asks what a 'Camouflet' is. It is a mine blown up with the purpose of blowing an enemy's mine-gallery. Usually it does not break the surface of the ground, but of course it may according to the depth it is and the amount of explosives used. Usually it is a race between ourselves and the enemy as to who shall blow first. They know they are near one another and both intending to blow the other, and when one is ready they listen for work in the other, in order to blow up the gallery when men are in it. It therefore becomes a time of great excitement for the miners.

.............Very glad that Arthur has six week's leave. I don't think you fully realize how nobly he did on the Somme. His work in the Dressing Stations was splendid, and done in places ubder heavy fire, also coming up to see me in the line we had taken that day, which meant a very nasty journey."

To his Mother.

Friday, 12-1-17, 5 p.m.

"A very busy day all to-day, but interesting.

I ought to be able to speak on the telephone and sign my name all right soon from the experience I have had ! My great trouble is not speaking French, all the time wanted here, and especially as a Staff Captain. Do encourage all your married children to have a French governess or nurse-maid. When your grandchildren fight in the next war they will thank you.

A doctor now here came a long way to give evidence as to the sanity or otherwise of a man up for Court Martial. It is my job to find him a billet."

3.30 p.m., Sunday, 14-1-17.

"Not so much doing to-day, which is good, especially to-day being Sunday. Conferences are ordinary routine, not pious ones but ones for consideration of how best to beat the Bosch. In all the vileness of war, there is a wonderful fascination in tactics to adopt, and in new inventions or improvements. There is a wonderful confidence here, which has a splendid moral effect, which the Bosch feel, I think."

Diary - January 17.

"Canadians (800) raided Bosch and got 100 prisoners, one machine gun, one trench mortar. Casualties 19. The raid was at 7.30 a.m. after having been put off several days. Code words used 'Asquith' and 'Lloyd George,' the last = OK, i.e. 'conditions suitable.' Heavt snow in night."

To his Mother.

Friday, 12-1-17, 5 p.m.

My great trouble is not speaking French, all the time wanted here, and especially as a Staff Captain. Do encourage all your married children to have a French governess or nurse-maid. When your grandchildren fight in the next war they will thank you.

That was prophetic.

Marina

January 21.

"Middlesex raided at 7.30 a.m. With mobile charges blew in two dug-outs and a M.G. poistion. Our casualties 9, and 1 Officer missing. We took three prisoners. Our smoke barrage and smoke feint and tear shells worked well.

..........Gave brandy to one of the black pups which has distemper."

Diary - January 10, 1917.

"Saw the Leinsters raiding party paraded by the Church for inspection. Keenly felt the certainty that some would be killed and many wounded in a few hours time. The General and Brigade-Major went up to Leinsters H.Q.

The left party got in, and the right also after first being driven back. They got eight prisoners, killed several and bombed dug-outs; our casualties 19. Beautiful arrangements with all guns, Stokes, smoke, lachrymatory, etc.; great number of wire cutting shells and some torpedoes...........Comfort to have it over. Very tantalizing being in the office while it was going on."

B.E.F.,

5 p.m., Sunday 21-1-17.

"I have felt so ashamed of my few lines of newsless scrawl lately, but both lack of time and of news have stopped anything decent in the way of letters !

I still spend most of my time in a high square room, with dusty distempered walls, and very dusty spider's webs all round the top - windows with holes in the glass (these covered up by bits of paper). A good globe of electric light in the centre of the ceiling, and radiator pipes for warmth, so not badly off. Plenty of maps, returns etc., round the walls - the Brigadier, Brigade-Major and myslef sit in it - table very untidy according to custom of mankind, and strewn with papers, as you may imagine.

I wish I could tell you of the several events of great interest which have been happening here, but am prevented.

The other day I was reading an extremely interesting Bosch account of their defence last summer of a certain place on the Somme. The account was, I suppose, captured somewhere. Everything magnificently organized. They paid great credit to the way we attacked.

This hard frost is a great change, and relieves the deep mud on the roads that there has been.

Another weird Sunday, and hard to realize. I wonder when I shall next get to a Service."

B.E.F.,

5 p.m., Tuesday, 23-1-17.

"I doctored up the other night, and put in a warm room with covering round it, one of the little black pups which has distemper. It is very sad to see a ripping little thing, full of licks and life suddenly begin to waste, and become altogether sorry for itself. I don't know any such real joy as to see pups about.

I am glad to say a learner for Staff work - a very nice Captain - has come to-day, so I shall get some help. It is very seldom that a Staff Captain is on his own as I have been, and there is no doubt it has been far too much for my liking."

Diary - January 24.

"The Bosch raided us at 3.30 a.m. Only a few got in and left 1 Officer and 5 men dead in our trench. We had 4 killed and 6 wounded. They also left a prisoner.

Feeling very cooked all day, especially owing to move arrangements, but none the less worked on till 12.30 a.m."

To his Mother.

B.E.F.,

5 p.m., Saturday, 27-1-17.

"No letters yesterday or to-day, and I wrote none yesterday; life was impossible in the extreme. To-day work has eased off a bit, which is a mercy.

We still have very heavy frosts. Several of the Officers on Division and Corps Staff are Harrovians, and were with me there. If you are writing to Harry, ask him if he remembers Kay, also Pope and Sandilands (these two were in Bowens house), also Boyd Rochford.

.........I asked Sandilands if he remembered the scrum our house had with theirs outside his house, which he did well !"

5 p.m., Sunday, 28-1-17.

"Thanks for Cox and Co.'s letter. It matters little to me whether I am a Lieutenant or a Captain, as long as you don't mind ! (Cox classes him as a Lieutenant)

It is rather strange being reduced while undertaking what is recognized as being a very Senior Captain's show, and in ordinary way involving pay of £400 per annum and two horses, and many other things."

Diary - January 30.

"Not quite so cold. Busy day and not feeling very grand. Saw a half starved collie in afternoon and wished I could have shot it."

January 31.

"Slept night of 31st - 1st in office on table to be near telephone.