Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

Diary - April 12.

"Canadians attacked The Pinple (on the ridge) etc., and Leinsters and Sussex Hache Wood at 5 a.m. in rain. It is rather uncertain where the latter two have got to but believe all successful. Our and Bosch wounded coming down to our Dressing Station here. Bitterly cold, but sunny. Took some of the lighter cases into the men's dug-out, where it was warmer, and gave them food, etc., before they moved on............As I turn in (11.30 p.m.) a wire to say that from information of a prisoner just captured a Bosch counter-attack is being prepared by Givenchy village. The Canadians apparently found they were holding from Kennedy crater to Souchez river with 76 men so kept 300 Cavalrymen who were up digging to increase their number."

To his Mother.

10.30 p.m., Thursday, 12-4-17.

"Owing to the snow last night, heavy drifts in many trenches; we again made a successful attack at 5 a.m. to-day. I gave some of our wounded some of your provisions, which they were most grateful for, including the beef tea.

The men have had to go through a very bad time for many days with nothing warm to drink, and vile mud and snow. The Bosch prisoners had to carry down stretchers, etc. They were a mixed lot; some fine men, some poor looking men. I have just looked at Tuesdays paper. The accoint from the Correspondent is a wash-out as far as this part is concerned. Sunday night was comparitively quiet till 5.30 a.m., when all guns opened heavy barrage, and our men went over at the same time, and no doubt took Bosch by surprise. They knew we were going to attack, but expected it between 15th and 20th.

An Officer lightly hit in the head this morning came in to breakfast with us after an exciting attack. The mud was too bad for the men to keep up with the barrage, but we got all objectives, though it did not work in the same clockwork as on Monday............

In one place the Bosch came out of a deep dug-out and fired with M.G.'s on our men who had passed it, and proved nasty. The usual scheme is to leave 'mopping-up parties' for any trench, etc., passed by the men, but some impossibel to see, and trenches are no more. An Officer went down one dug-out without revolver or any weapon, and when there seven Bosch came up from further stairway down, but fortunately surrendered without first shooting him."

To his Mother.

7 p.m., 13-4-17.

"This morning I saw a swallow, and on the 10th a redstart, so we are getting on for Summer. I told you of the fine bunches of snowdrops in a garden here. My servant has put one bunch in a tin for the Mess. I enclose two of the flowers, as I think they are the largest snowdrops (single) I ever saw. There must also have come up last year in the deserted garden where I found them. There are also daffodils just showing a little yellow in the same place. The house, like most here, is not only a heap of bricks, but has followed the usual evolution of disappearance, first woodwork for fuel, then bricks for making up roads, etc. Everything looks very well here."

Diary - April 13.

".........At 3.30 p.m. wire from Division to say Bosch have withdrawn their patrols, prepare to move. All stood to and Companies from the hill dumped packs at H.Q.'s. I packed up my things..........I was not on the hill this morning, but they say fires and explosions could be seen in Lens and apparently blowing up roads. Evidently our attack on The Pimple yesterday made them change their minds from a counter-attack to withdrawal. Caterpillars now moving guns up. One long Howitzer badly stuck ! Saw one swallow to-day."

April 14.

"Lovely morning. Inspected rifles, then sent men salvaging..........Fires and explosions in Lens area, but no one knows where our men are..........No Artillery observers seem to know where we have got to. A German with broken femur just brought in: looked very well although hed been lying out since morning of 12th. I asked him if he knew where we were going to attack. He said he did not, though Hindenburg warned them it was coming.

...............The Bosch shelled Vimy Ridge a bit this afternoon, but the strange thing is this which will probably be recorded as one of the biggest battles of the war, it is now almost dead quiet owing no doubt to Artillery not knowing where to fire and moving their guns..........It is very tantalizing being not actually 'pushing' myself."

15 April.

"A vile day of heavy rain when we want 2 weeks dry ! Went with an Orderly to Brigade, found they had moved to Angres............Several Bosch dead still about. Saw also a Sussex Officer lying killed when advancing on the 12th. A sad sight to see 20 or 25 of our dead, who had been collected, lying anyhow, clothes covered with mud and heavy rain on them. Bosch were shelling nastily round Fosse 6. My Orderly was hit by a splinter on the thumb, his tin hat saved his head.........Roads being made up everywhere, but none the less caterpillars, lorries etc., stuck axle deep. The lorries though are marvelous in getting out, and wheels don't buckle.......The Bosch are marvels in thoroughness of work - splendid trenches though now knocked to bits and everywhere deep dug-outs. We struggle along in mud and with bits of corrugated iron over us !"

To his Mother.

7 p.m., 15-4-17.

"My dug-out is right at the bottom of eight or nine steps, and on the left is another large cellar. The Officers who were in the left one have moved, and I told my servant I would sleep there to-night. He has just come in, more beaming than ever, which is saying a good deal, and I asked him if peace is declared, or what is the matter ? He says he has 'fixed that dug-out up just lovely, got a good fire going' - there is a grate and chimney in it, as in many of these cellars - did people live in them, or why a fireplace and chimney ? He has got all my wet things drying, and thinks if I saw it I would sit there instead of in a room in another building which was H.Q. Mess, as I am doing."

11 a.m., 16-4-17.

"A gorgeous morn ! Just had an inspection of five additional men's rifles, ammunition and iron rations, and put the wind up them, finding, as is almost invariable, that absence of discipline reigns. One man put on a charge for being unshaved, and for being caught taking another mans ammunition to make up his defficiency before the parade.

The men I have with me now for some time are all up to Rifle Brigade statndard, but this standard comes as a shock to newcomers ! I am most flourishing and now just going what should be a ripping walk in connection with my work."

To his Sister Rosamond.

April 16, 1917.

"..........My servant looks after me well, always with his broad smile, none the worse for being like a monkey, and guards my things, though many of his have unfortunately been pinched. You never saw such a dishevelledand slopping crowd as most of the men now in 'here' are. Caps on back of heads, hands in pockets, hair uncut, and faces unwashed. Largely sloping round seeing what they can loot. How I should like to give them several hours squad drill, and get some self-respect, and hence efficiency, into them !

I saw some of the Staff at Brigade to-day, and greeted, as is for some reason customary there, by some with 'Hullo, jolly old Andrew.' "

Diary - April 17.

"In afternoon went with two orderlies up Vimy Ridge. There are now two tunnels, Coburg and G___ . Follwed what was Coburg trench but soon lost it and could not be certain of Kennedy crater, which was at the top. There are two new craters. Walked across and traced along what was Bosch trenches. One or two dug-out entrances not blocked..........Lots of Bosch bombs and strange detonator-looking boxes, also large trench mortars, probably about 15o pounders...........Givenchy is as much - or more - ruined as Souchez.............The men i/c stores gave me curried bully and jam pudding for supper to-night !"

On 20th April, 1917, Andrew and his men were moved back into 'rest billets' at Febrin Palfart.

MESSINES RIDGE

April - June 1917.

Andrew had a passion for thoroughness. Whatever the job that wanted doing, he did it with his might. He was the sort of man that hates to see a thing done in a slack and slovenly fashion. This characteristic stood him in good stead in his soldiering, where patient attention to detail is of enormous importance at all times, and specially in the kind of fighting that has developed in this war. But it was a trial to the flesh when he had constantl to do with others who failed dismally to get anywhere near his standard ! Here is an illuminating entry in his Diary on the matter (April 20, 1917):

"I have had a day of criticism of 'men.' Walking across from Ablain to Aix this morning thought of the disgraceful shirking of work yesterday by some men. Does it do to be kind to them ? But then what a difference between their and my bringing up ! Thought also of their (frequent) waste and inconsiderateness; and this evening at Marles there was a disgraceful case of thoughtlessness."

The next few weeks were spent behind the lines.

Dairy - April 22, 1917.

"Communion Service at 9 a.m. Post came in about 10 a.m., with five letters from Mother, of dates previous to those on letters received yesterday; also three parcels and nine newspapers. What wouldn't I have given to have had those in Ablain ! but very welcome now..............

Generals C., D., Major H. and the C.R.E. had an exciting experience when in Bois de Riaumont. They met three Bosch who had got through and probably got lost. These at close range opened fire and our four bolted for all they were worth and were unhit. This is all the time being referred to ! It is said that General C. has not yet stopped running ! Anyhow it is a fact that he has gone on leave to England." (1)

(1) This incident found its way into the papers. See The Times, April 26, 1917.

Could be interesting to see if someone has The Times access to see the reported incident, did make me laugh when I first read the book.

Andy

To his Mother.

9.30 p.m., 21-4-17.

".............You can imagine the joy of hearing after an interval of nine days, with no letters, and in a rotten land !

I also saw Arthur this afternoon at 4 p.m. He knew the road I was coming and came to meet us, but was fortunate in hitting on me, as I had been trekking for a long time. He was very well. We are able to share your letters, which was excellent.

Apparently you have not received all my letters lately, but this is as expected.

Yesterday I was up at 4.15 a.m. and have not had much sleep since, and also a strenuous existence, so shall turn in early to-night, and enjoy peace and quiet, as I now can !"

To his Mother.

April 22, 1917.

"...........Arthur told me yesterday of Vernede being killed. I am troubled to hear of it. I shall write to Mrs. Vernede, though I have not met her............Life has sometimes been very unhealthy for us both, but nothing has touched us."

From Andrew to Mrs. Vernede.

Monday, 23-4-17.

H.Qrs. 73rd Brigade (Infantry), B.E.F.

"I hardly know how to write to you in this most grievious news of Mr. Vernede's death. For some time I have been very much cut off from everything except just was happening around me, but yesterday I saw my Brother Arthur, who told me the news of his having been killed in action. You know how tremendously fond of him I was, and with his wonderful abilities and mind. I have a feeling of it being altogether wrong for me to be still alive and he no longer so. We so often in C. Coy. were given by him, usually most unexpectedly, some extraordinarily sound and what must have been carefully thought out ideas with reference to tactical, disciplinary or other Army matters, and there is no doubt he should have been O.C. Coy. rather than me. But our time together was the most splendid imaginable, and I shall always look back on it with recollections that can never be forgotten. What Mr. Vernede's death means to you I just dare not think, as you have lost one whom you must have loved so much. My Sister Rosamond, whom I have just heard, speaks of you as giving the impression of being so extraordinarily brave, so I comfort myself that you will not allow your loss to be too overwhelming. When I mention the word brave, I must speak - though you doubtless know of it from many sources - of your husbands extraordinary bravery - over and over again undertaking and carrying through the most unhealthy bits of work with, as far as I could see, every thought for the men he was with, but none for himself.

He just loved the N.C.O.'s and men, and if at any time anything happened to one he was connected with he felt it intensely...........Again my deepest sympathy at your great loss. Of course, don't write, but just accept this thought of you."

Our old friend Robert. I think that I will place this letter in Robert's thread.

Andy

I now find myself wondering what Robert would have said about Andrew. I dont recall a mention of him in Robert's letters - are you aware of anything?

Marina