Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

Marina,

It is done, this tribute is now in Robert's thread where it belongs. I cannot recall any of Robert's letters mentioning Andrew either.

Andy

To his Sister Rosamond.

April 22, 1917.

"Well you can picture me safe for a while. Life has been pretty unhealthy at times. I have had a dug-out blown to smithereens after leaving it, and an Orderly hit walking with me, and many other nasty shell interviews, but none the worse.

How I should love you to see Vimy Ridge in present state; torn to ribbons, and most difficult to walk over, with vast shell holes all touching one another. For everything of salvage that is visible 100 have doubtless been buried or blown to dust."

Diary - April 25.

"I am detailed to go with the General for his inspection at 9 a.m. first of the Northamptons and then of the Sussex. In the evening the Brigade played Northamptons at Soccer. Greta number of swallows about."

April 26.

"Orders at midnight to say we were to move into Army Reserve in place of the 18th Division who entrain to-night and go down south. We therefore packed up. I was i/c transport which left at 12.15 p.m. We are stopping to-night at Anchel, and to-morrow go to Noeux-les-Mines. Swallows have disappeared to-day - perhaps gone on to England - but saw two nightingales near Ferfay."

To his Mother.

(At Houchin)

April 27, 1917.

"A gap of 48 hours since I wrote the above but I sent two Field postcards instead. I now write from a differentbillet to what I have been in. Quite nice except that I think the old girl downstairs must be making bread or something of the sort and I therefore must flee from the smell of it to H.Q. Mess............ I saw a pair of nightingales by side of the road on the 26th, but the great number of swallows I saw on the 25th have disappeared. I expect you have stolen them from us. There was also lately a great number of chiff-chaffs, but I heard no willow-wrens yet.

As I came along this morning in charge of various men, etc., I had a halt at a place where I was billeted for one night a little while ago and I went in to see the people, who were very genial and gave me a glass of Vin Ordinaire, but before I went in they spotted me passing and vigourously tapped on the window. Many of the French people are extremely genial, which makes all the difference to life when with them."

Diary - May 1.

"Bicycled to Bruay........Lay down in afternoon, feeling done up, chiefly, I think, owing to sleeplessness. A nightingale was singing in Labuissiere as I came in."

To his Mother.

May 1, 1917.

" I think you would like to see and destroy the enclosed two nice letters from people whom I wrote to saying their relations had been killed. Both were quite unknown to me, but I naturally wrote as relatives at home are bound to like as many letters as possible. I was only lately talking to an Officer who had had a great friend of his killed just by him and he was the only person who knew what had happened. He asked me if I thought his family would mind if he saw them when he next went on 'leave.' I advised him to do so and at once write as well !"

To his Mother.

May 3, 1917.

"Life is still very peaceful for me. I met Arthur at 3 p.m. to-day in a certain place [bethune], and we had tea together in a shop. In all his life I never saw him looking so amazingly well. You were wanting him to get home before 14th so as to see him, and I am delighted to say he has orders to report at the W.O. on the 10th."

To his Mother.

May 7, 1917. 7.30 p.m.

"In the letter I posted this morning I said I was going out for a Field day. The H.Q. horses were all wanted, but I borrowed one from one of the Regiments and acted as sort of A.D.C. to the Brigadier. A gorgeous day with the gretaer part spent in a lovely wood (Diary, Bois des Dames), - sandwiches in our pockets for lunch. It did me a world of good.............To-morrow I hope to see Arthur off for Railhead and want, too, to see the R.B. What a lucky fellow he is."

Diary - May 9.

"Due to have i/c transport at 9.50 a.m. Rode via Chocques to Busnes where we are in the Chateau. So we appear to be bound northwards again. What are we to be in for ? The Chateau is lovely. Moat and water round it and ripping wood and shrubberies, full of birds and wood life."

Diary - May 10.

"Left 9.45 a.m. Went via St. Venant to Thiennes were H.Q.'s are in a school. The Canal crossings vert pretty."

May 12.

"Left at 7 a.m. for Steevoorde, riding. Passed 72nd and 73rd Brigades. Terrific hot day. Arranged billeting, etc., for H.Q. We came through Hazebrouck. How weird to now again see Poperinghe road, etc. I thought I had left this land for good a yaer ago. Troops all very done when they got here.........Dined at Club here and regretted it."

May 14.

"......At 2 p.m. took the transport via Eecke to Reninghelst where we are in good huts. Evitt (the Parson), Ribot (the Interpreter), and Thorp (the Signal Officer), and I are in one. How strange to be back in this land ! Several sausages and aeroplanes up but very quiet. This place much altered, now apparently all kinds of canteens, etc."

To his Mother.

May 14, 1917.

".......The last two nights I have been billeted in a good room of a baker's shop. This morning at about 4 a.m. some troops passed and were very refreshing as it is a long day since I heard men so jovial as they. Not only singing but verily shouting, and most of them a different song, and this even though it was raining hard."

That must have been one of the most depresswing experiences, coming back to fight on the same ground as before.

'here we are, here we are, here we are again...'

Marina

To his Mother.

May 17, 1917.

"........I have to-day had a most pleasant surprise in Gut Leatham turning up in our Mess to see me ! He had lunch (and is coming to supper soon). He then took me to where he is quartered to see Walter Pelham (his brother-in-law), who has been out a week as Chaplain to two Battalions. It was splendid seeing him and I am delighted he is out, though I wish he was in this Brigade....."

To his Mother.

Headquarters,

73rd Infantry Brigade [Reninghelst]

May 19th, 1917, 7 p.m.

"I am now sitting at the Staff Captain's table where I have been signing various documents for him and the Brigade Major and seeing to various things for them this afternoon. How I wish I might tell you where I am and what is going on !............Since I wrote you in ink Tom Buxton rode over to tea, which was very excellent. It has been really refreshing seeing some of the family lately. I had to leave some spare kit two or three weeks ago at a certain place in order to lighten our baggage and now hear the place it was stored in has had a direct hit from a shell which destoyed it. It may be mine has escaped or not been badly damaged." (1)

(1) The spare kit was found by Arthur the following October.

Diary - May 20.

"Walked to see that the Transport were all right, then drew money from Cashier in Reninghelst.......Bicycled over to Westoutre to see Clarence Buxton in 19th Division, but he was out. The dumps are truly marvellous in their size and contents. Reninghelst at 8 p.m. was solid with men strolling about. Very warm evening."

May 21st

".........At 10 p.m. very heavy firing, probably a raid. I have orders to-night to go to Steenvoorde as Adjutant of the Training Battalion."

May 22

"Reached Steenvoorde at noon, relieving S. of the Leinsters as Adjutant. Q.M. and Transport Officer of this the 24th Divisional Reinforcement Depot (about 600 men).

...........Have a good billet in estaminet."

May 25

"Wire to say we might be moving to-morrow, which was confirmed in the evening. Got out operation orders and made several necessary arrangements."

To his Mother.

May 25, 1917.

"I have a lot doing, but it is quite pleasant work. It involves a good deal of riding round to see detachments at various farms and I am fortunate in having a very nice pony for doing so. Any day now I expect my job to come to an end."

Diary - May 26.

"..............Got to Brigade at 6 p.m. There received orders to go back to the Rifle Brigade."