Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

Had a sudden fierce surge of joy there, hoping the Instructing Lieutenant might be Malcolm Whyte's Lecturer - remember him 'it isn't any good without compasses.' :)

Marina

To his Mother.

24th Divisional Bombing School,

France,

December 10, 1915.

"..........This course ends to-morrow after three more hours work in the morning, consisting of lecture on French bombs, bomb-throwing practice and catapult devices for throwing bombs.......We have dealt with about 13 or 14 kinds of bombs - also German ones. This afternoon we had an oral examination by the Brigade Bombing Officer, in which I think I gave him accurately all the information he asked for................Major p. was over here yesterday giving a lecture - not to us - on 'hate'..........You will loathe the expression as much as I do and therefore require a lecture as much as I do !...... It is very easy to try and merely exist in the trenches and omit any aggressive work, and for this reason such sermons are from time to time given by C.O. or by instructions from the Brgadier, and are doubtless required."

Andrew was turning out a splendid soldier, and had the heart of a lion; but, like many other fine soldiers, he had little use for the "hate" business, an attitude of mind which seems congenial enough to our enemies, but is wholly alien to the temper and outlook of the average Englishman.

In a letter written just about this time to his sister Rosamond he says, "I cannot get the spirit of 'hate' which is necessary. A struggle goes on in my 'inn'ards,' on the one hand an attempt to inculcate this 'hate' and on the other a thankfulness that I haven't got it."

To E.S. Woods (in reply to a query).

"He is and He is not closer out here. I cannot explain by letter what I mean, but perhaps you will understand. In the midst of absolute devilry and hate to comprehend love is wonderful but difficuly. The knowledge that any second one may be shifted from devilry to God's hereafter is so strange.

I must stop. Best of love to you, Clemence, and all yours. Take care of your dear selves."

On December 26 (1915) he got some short leave again. His Diary records : "Home at 11.30 p.m. Father thought my stones at his window were a woodcock."

JANUARY - MARCH 1916.

On January3, 1916, Andrew was back in France again, finding his Battalion still billetted at Nordleulinghem. By the 7th they were in the trenches once more, south-east of Ypres. He writes :

To his Father.

Trenches,

January 8, 1916.

"Here all right last night and very pleasing to find the state of them, much better than expected and not at all unattractive as trenches go.......... The place swarms with rats, the same as apparently in all trenches, any number about the parapets, etc., and last night a fine cat which I should think every opportunity of growing fat."

To his Mother.

Trenches,

January 9, 1916.

"What a day I have had and am having..........My chief worry was that our men who had come into these trenches had had a very long march and nothing to eat since a midday meal about 12 noon. Their rations had gone on up to our front line and I had to send a fatigue party with my servant as guide (the only man, except myself, who knew the way, and quite a complicated one !) to get them back, and though no doubt hungry I really don't believe they were in any way very troubled; anyhow no idea of any grumbling (in fact, just the reverse !); 18 or 129 hours long march with heavy load, without provisions, and very cheerful all the time till they got their rations was, I think good going! I don't know what time I lay down this morning, but suppose about 2.30 and got some sleep, which was pleasing, though messages or inquiries stirred me up evey half hour or so..........The free life of the trenches does suit me so much better than the formality of drills and similar work and I feel much fitter at it."

To his Mother.

Trenches,

January 11, 1916.

"It is very noticeable the increase of Artillery fire since I was last in the trenches. We seem splendidly supplied and fire a lot more stuff than the Germans............Thanks to having a good rest behind the line and being at home a week, besides now having well got into trench life, I feel quite at home, and enjoy it more than being behind."

To his Mother.

In Ramparts,

January 12, 1916.

"...........The Ramparts are in a much-shelled place. Such a strange abode, deep underground like a mine or wine-cellar with big upright baulks of timber......... It was in this place many men were gassed when the Germans shelled it the Sunday before I came on leave. The men were ordered last night to all sleep with tube helmets round their shoulders in order to avoid such catastrophe recurring. A lovely morning - the first time I have been in this place by daylight - the sight is impressive in the extreme......... You know now we have steel helmets to make us gay..........We have got a charming little sandy-coloured terrier which came over yesterday from the German lines. He spends his time killing rats; the number and their tameness is incredible..........My trench life is far harder for you than me, and I only wish you could see our joviality all the time. When the gramophone comes we shall be complete."

To his Mother.

Ramparts,

11 a.m. Friday, 14/1/16

"......I am O.C. Company, as Marshall went on leave yesterday.

We have had a really slack time these last two or three days back at the place which I write from. The duties have been providing men as working parties to front line, and also carrying up of R.E. material, of course all by night.

I am writing with some difficulty in the small Mess which we and "C" Coy (1) share in these ramparts - a sort of wine cellar, 18 feet x 6 feet; a small table at each end for our messes; at the present time a charcoal brazier in the middle...........

A covey of partridges here this morning which are now calling outside the hut...........

I have plenty of chocalate and everything now, and, moreover, there has now been opened (tweo days ago) an army canteen in Poperinghe, where I can buy all provisions, cigarettes, etc., quite easily, and probably cheaper than in London, so don't send me anything more till I write for it.

I have to-day been out six calendar months and feel quite a veteran ! I got to France July 15. Everything is vastly changed here, even in that time, and it gives confidence to have it so. The Bosch rifle-sniping at night is greatly reduced. Our shell fire by day is greatly increased, and we apparently have superiority.

Organization of working parties and general military arrangements much better - all the time men being sent away for every kind of 'course,' grenades, machine-guns, etc. : also men being returned to England who are suitable for the different types of factory work for which hands are wanted."

(1) Captain Tatham.

To his Father.

Billetts,

3.30 p.m., Sunday, 16/1/167.

".............A certain number of us went ratting this afternoon along hedges and banks, including Irven, our Sniping Officer. There is a definite body of men detailed for nothing but sniping; they say they shot nine Germans in the seven days in the trenches, though on the other hand one of them, a very nice Corporal, was himself sniped and killed while doing so - testing certain sniping rifles, of which one is a double barrel .450.

These snipers are of considerable value to the Artillery, as by spying they very easily observe enemy Artillery observers in trees or tops of farm buildings, which buildings the Artillery would then demolish."

To his Sister Rosamond.

Sunday, January 19, 1916.

"I have been so torn asunder to-day, very much wishing to have a Service for the men of the Coy. As Coy. Commander I can of course do so easier than any one else, but the only place to have it would be in our Mess hut, which is seperated from the men's huts, and I know only too well that their natural shyness would prevent any from coming. The only thing is to get where they are, and ask any who do not want to stay to move. They then like it. There is such a paiful feeling of spiritual deadness, though an equal feeling that the life is all ready to germinate."

It;s surprising he isn't on Staff where his orgainisational skills would be useful. Although i would think his men are glad to have him. He really does his best for them.

Marina

I am so impressed with this young man .... both as a soldier AND a man !!

but I'm starting to get nervous .... I just know somethings going to happen soon .... and what appalls me is that the men have had no First Aid training :huh: what happens when something happens ??

I don't want to check the CWGC ..... to find out .... but I feel like I'm going to be ducking under the chair in a minute ............ !!

Keep going Andy ........ I'm waiting with bated breath !! and thank you for telling us this young man's story !!

Annie

Annie,

As Marina says there is "a wee while to go yet" but definetely absorbing with some good detail here and as has been said "one of the good guys"

Andy

To his Father.

B.E.F., France,

1 p.m., Monday 24-1-16.

"..........I had a rotten day yeaterday, having to take all available men of the Coy. (about 105) together with others of another Coy., making 150, as a Working Party on roads or trenches at the front. We left at 4 p.m., a procession of 20 (General Service) waggons, each with four horses, and two drivers (Riding), ten of the waggons for our 150, the other ten for another Regiment's party.

A very jolty and uncomfortable ride, walking practically all the time. They took us about half way, after which we got out and walked. It sounds strange, but it's a big difficulty getting out there with road full of troops and transports. No chance of keeping all men together, but managed to get them in three lots in file - mixed up with other Regiments and mud.

Picked up guides at a certain place, who divided up men in parties as they wanted them. You would hardly believe the conglomeration of mankind, followed by conglomeration of torn up wilderness, at the place where most of our men went.

All went in 'boots gum thigh' as the Army calls them, and the difficulty of getting along on the greasy road, and more still on lines of footboards, often lying at an angle, was great. It took me exactly four hours in all to get to the bit of trench where twenty men who I stayed with had got to work. Here the trench we were on had a few days previously been badly shelled, so badly that the R.E. Captain who was organizing the fatigue work had had great difficulty in retracing the line of it. It was a more shell torn bit of ground than I have yet seen, which is saying a good deal........... The whole impression a torn, windswept, devastated, uninhabited, uncared for, and upheaved land ! There had been a road through it, but no trace whatever to show that such civilization had ever existed.

.............The men were very happy having the ride up first night, but they far from enjoy it now, knowing what it means of work, as also of risk, which was very much brought home to them by casualties two nights ago."

5 p.m., 24th.

"Mother's letter of Saturday just come, telling of her working party. It is strange that two things of the same name should be of such different natures. We dot work in dry rooms with white overalls and veils. Both appear pretty strenuous though."

B.E.F.,

10.15 a.m., Sunday, January 30, 1916.

"........It is so strange how mind and muscle get accustomed to a thing, even if not done for a long time. Our steel helmet has a leather strap hanging from the middle, and I continually find myself putting it on with a swing to throw the strap to the back of my head, just like putting on the old Harrow straw with elastic to go behind. And that now over eighteen years ago !"

To his Mother.

In Huts, B.E.F.

2 p.m., Friday, February 4, 1916.

"...........We were relieved in good time in the evening, hurrying in single file over one bit of grouind, which the Bosch have an objectionable habit of traversing every now and then with machine gun fire - changed our gum boots at a huge big public institution, which is only partly ruined, for the boots we had taken off going up. In a room there some one had generously started some soup making, whereby all the men had an excellent cup of soup..........

An awkward slippery bit of walking, getting back across to the huts, with considerable low-voiced grousing by the three or four men who helped with the cart !

My servant Atkinson, the most splendid energetic fellow, who absolutely loves work, and whom nothing perturbs, siad on his own account when we got fixed up, "I can't understand these fellows; unless everything goes just so with them they are grousing and disagreeable at once."

In many ways they are absolutely splendid, but in the matters of (1) no consideration in avoiding waste, (2) reasonable precautions of looking after themselves, even after continually being told, and (3) grousing if anything unusual in the way of rations or marching occurs, then they are sometimes stupid. It is these things that are as hard to bear as anything, as I have told you before. The men don't mean it. It is more habit than anything else, and considered the normal and correct thing to do.

Where you experience it properly is going over a new bit of road, or on a new bit of country; then you suddenly turn into a bit of road that they know, and they are as happy as mortals can be, usually commencing good singing, starting by 'Here we are, here we are, here we are again !' A new bit of country is no such pleasure to them as to us, but I frequently go different ways, as good knowledge of the country may any time come in useful."

3.30 p.m., 4-1-16.

"..........Our last trenches were very weather-worn......I think it was probably thios mess of a trench that saved us the day before from being badly hit by a shelling they gave us - they probably could not tell exactley where our trenches were. We were shelled a little on Tuesday and Wednesday for about an hour very heavily, but in our Coy. am thankful to say only two slightly hit during it; yesterday just a few shells again, but no damage.

I feel I am much blessed that these sort of times do not in any way upset me, my only trouble being whether the men are ready for an attack which may easily follow. It is very hard to get the sentries to continue a good look-out, and I spent practically the whole time with a periscope watching the German trenches to see they did not come out.

The idea of an attack does not seem to enter into the men's heads; all they wonder being when the shelling will stop ! There were four men just by me in a bit of trench who had left their fire positions and rifles at them before the shelling started, and were pretty much cut off from getting back. I did not expect an attack, so did not send them. My orders have been, whenever a bombardment like that begins, every man must get his rifle and nurse it, but the greater part couldn't, or didn't, with the consequence that a greater number of rifles got hop[elessly covered with mud from the shells, whereby the bolts would not have worked at all............"

February 5, 1916.

"I had a long evening of it last night, getting an order at 6 p.m. to be at a certain place three and a half miles off [Hell Fire Corner, on the Ypres-Menin road] with all my men to carry u certain rations, mails, etc., from a dump place to the trenches, the distance of a mile. As all had to do two journeys, and some three, with the rations, it was, in all, a good eleven miles walk, and a very difficult one too. The second journey up I took a sack of about 60 lbs. weight over my shoulders, and gave a hand to another man with a mail bag twice that weight. A wet night, lots of mud, and machine gun fire. Some got very wet, tumbling into muddy wash at the side of the road when any heavy fire opened.

We came back in parties, the last getting in about 1 this morning, without any casualty, I am thankful to say."

Noon, Sunday, February 6,

"I had the same carrying party last night, and hope it will be the last. It certainly will be for carrying rations, as all our people come out to-night. We did not get off quite scott free, one man being slightly hit, or, as described by the men, 'a beautiflu Blighty one,' meaning a harmless flesh wound, which will get hime possibly to England. The stuff to be carried was again very heavy; we did it all in two journeys, and I took rare weighty loads each time, big sacks of meat, and mails, I think.

I really enjoy such actual carrying, and believe I can take as heavy loads as any man. It makes me hesitate though, more than ever, to ask you to send me parcels, at any rate when in the trenches to which we were carrying, knowing what it means that some one has got to get them along that mile..........

Since writing they have put about forty shells at a gun position about 150 yards behind here - tremendous row, and most wonderfully good practice. The bits of shell flying all round here, but dug-outs are protection against them. Another big 'Crump' just come. Several time salvoes four together. I forgot to tell you that in the trenches I was last in there one splendid upheaval like a crater caused by a mine. Full of water, and if it were a Scotch loch, it would be of just significant size to try a cast as very possibly holding trout. You can walk round along the edge on water level, and be about ten feet below the top. It is this in conjunction with the shell holes which has made this ground such a wonderful sight.

One fellow's nerves (he's a Buff) have just given way from the shelling, and he is hysterical outside the hut, where our men were, and two of our men have, I just hear, been hit - awfully troubling."